Richmond Park training email group

Comments

• London-Red wrote:
    . 10 - 10.30 sounds rather civilised too :-)

Having just finished a row of 6am starts and 12 hours shifts I have absolutely no inclination to be getting up early to go riding.

There is a good chance I can make something next week
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Well I've come into this thread late, was actually looking at joining a club but to start with keen just to meet fellow riders. I've been over here a year now (from Oz - hold the medal jokes :wink: ), and looking for some riding partners to help me get motivated.

JackalP, I live in West Kensington but was planning on heading out for a ride to Box Hill. I usually do an 80m loop from my house to Box Hill.

If you get this in time send me a message and I'll pick it up on my crackberry.

Otherwise, keen on future rides. How has this generally worked, is there an email list in addition to the forum?

The long grazed legged one
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Having just finished a row of 6am starts and 12 hours shifts I have absolutely no inclination to be getting up early to go riding.

There is a good chance I can make something next week

Still can't quite work out whether this meant you were going out or not... Initially I thought you'd decided not to go out, then, having just topped out on Boxhill I thought maybe you meant otherwise (weird what you end up thinking about on the bike...)

Anyhow, the end result is yet another failed attempt to meet up :-)

Next week maybe!
  • London-Red wrote:

Still can't quite work out whether this meant you were going out or not... !

Don't worry, you were right the first time. I did go out but later in the morning.

I am not at work at all this week so should be able to hook up so post your ride times. Emu, sorry I missed your post but we will have to try and meet up for a ride.
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • The emu
    Not a problem Jackal,

Given the late notice was always a long shot. I ended up just doing the 3 lap challenge at RP.

My avg going around RP for 3 laps is 64min.

I'm under the pump with work over next couple of weeks (mid week) but keen on a long ride on the weekend. Short of sleet and snow not fussed about a bit of rain.

A thought thats crossed my mind a few times (but which I've never done) is catching a train out of London and going for a long ride where it is ALL fresh air and countryside. Its just that I find I waste what ends up being almost two hours caught in traffic sucking up fumes to go up Box Hill, which doesn't make it that an enjoyable ride.

Theres some good rides on the Routes and Riding section, and by loading them into a Garmin (I have one), would be a piece of cake to arrange. Would anyone be interested in this?

• The emu wrote:

A thought thats crossed my mind a few times......

An interesting idea but I can't say the idea of a train trip is that appealing post rde. I'm not too sure where you are in West Ken but I am surprised to hear it takes you 80miles round trip just to ge to boxhill. There is some fabulous riding just to the west of boxhill on almost deserted country roads. I have 70ish mile round trip from my place, Teddington, which is very quiet and quite challenging (+4000ft climbing). Hopefully the link below should give you a quick look.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/183327

You could always get a train to Teddington and then just roll through Bushy Park, esher, cobham and then your pretty much in the North downs. Anyway, hope this is of some use, sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know.

I am tentitavely up for Saturday, depending on my bike coming back from the shop.
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • The emu
    I am surprised to hear it takes you 80miles round trip just to ge to boxhill

Sorry meant to say 80Ks, and no not 80ks to get there but 80ks round trip (ie there and back incluing a bit of a loop).

What you suggested is I guess what I was elluding to, nothing too far out, just enough to get beyond the traffic. Where you are I guess its on your doorstep.

Maybe I need to refine my loop, I try mixing it up by coming home a different route than heading out....end up coming back via croydon :shock:

• Rush11
    Rush11 Posts: 33
    is there a group cycling to richmond park? anytime this month?
  • 80k sounds more like it. I am not really on the doorstep, it takes me about 40-45 mile round trip to boxhill.

If you want to do the train thing then I reckon your best bet is to get to Effingham junction. Not sure how easy that would be for you but that puts you in prime position to hit the country lanes.

Your best bet is to post your ride times and see if anyone is out at the same time. So far nobody has managed a meet.......
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    The emu wrote:

A thought thats crossed my mind a few times......

An interesting idea but I can't say the idea of a train trip is that appealing post rde. I'm not too sure where you are in West Ken but I am surprised to hear it takes you 80miles round trip just to ge to boxhill. There is some fabulous riding just to the west of boxhill on almost deserted country roads. I have 70ish mile round trip from my place, Teddington, which is very quiet and quite challenging (+4000ft climbing). Hopefully the link below should give you a quick look.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/183327

You could always get a train to Teddington and then just roll through Bushy Park, esher, cobham and then your pretty much in the North downs. Anyway, hope this is of some use, sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know.

I am tentitavely up for Saturday, depending on my bike coming back from the shop.

Can I come? Well maybe not this week, but if you are going in the next few weeks - then you can laugh at me when I spew going up Box Hill :oops:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    To richmond park or around richmond park?
    Can I come?
    Why not, the more the merrier Felgen....within reason 8)
    you can laugh at me when I spew going up Box Hill
    That won't happen, Box Hill is popular for cyclists of all levels because its is really a piece of cake (and you can also buy a piece of cake up the top) :wink:
    which is very quiet and quite challenging (+4000ft climbing).
    Jackal I like the sound of that. I checked out your ride - its very similar to the one I have mapped except from Box Hill I head east rather than head west. From my house, your 110k loop would turn into a 140+k loop for me, which when adding the city traffic is a long and exhaustive time in the saddle for me. Will def have to check out the rail option.

I'm keen on heading out early-ish Saturday for either a park ride or a Box Hill run.

I'll start by suggesting 8am start at RPs but am flexible as long as I'm home by lunch time

• Rush11
    The emu wrote:
    To richmond park or around richmond park?
    Can I come?
    i ment is anyone going in and around richmond park? for fun not racing.
  • felgen
    Rush11 wrote:
    i meant is anyone going in and around richmond park? for fun not racing.

Um, theres always loads of poeple in Richmond Park cycling.. as for a group of 'us' going, well its a bit of a struggle to get everyone together at the same time. If you are new to the whole thing, then I would start by going to the park and setting a time for three laps of the park (see the other thread for that here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12556612&start=435
    Then if people have an idea of your speed relative to theirs then you might be more successful in finding some people to ride in a group with. Lets face it, its not as much fun if you get smoked and dropped, or vice versa.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rush11
    felgen wrote:
    Rush11 wrote:
    i meant is anyone going in and around richmond park? for fun not racing.

Um, theres always loads of poeple in Richmond Park cycling.. as for a group of 'us' going, well its a bit of a struggle to get everyone together at the same time. If you are new to the whole thing, then I would start by going to the park and setting a time for three laps of the park (see the other thread for that here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12556612&start=435
    Then if people have an idea of your speed relative to theirs then you might be more successful in finding some people to ride in a group with. Lets face it, its not as much fun if you get smoked and dropped, or vice versa.
    hi thanks felgen, but where do i start? richmond then where? do i follow the wall round richmond park?
  • felgen
    Rush11 wrote:
    hi thanks felgen, but where do i start? richmond then where? do i follow the wall round richmond park?

Um, well follow this link I have added a link to the route :

http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath=maps%2Fbike-path%2FRichmond-Park-London-Dynamo-4-laps-on-a-Saturday-morning

- you can go anticlockwise or clockwise (I prefer anticlockwise as it makes the roundabouts easier. You can start anywhere you like... most people start at one or other of the roundabouts by the gates into the park. Give it beans for 3 laps and then post their time.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    Rush11,

I'm a bit confused by the confusion. By any chance are you thinking that we are talking about the trails with mountain bikes?

I'm still up for a few laps tommoz at 8am at the Richmond Gate if anyones keen. My avg speed is 30kph or thereabouts.

• felgen
    The emu wrote:
    Rush11,

I'm a bit confused by the confusion. By any chance are you thinking that we are talking about the trails with mountain bikes?

I'm still up for a few laps tommoz at 8am at the Richmond Gate if anyones keen. My avg speed is 30kph or thereabouts.

Yeah I am wondering that too

.... no can do for me at 8 am... will be at work until.... 9.30am ish (am on call tonight and dont fancy doing laps with a backpack..) Must get out soon though.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Sorry Emu but I can't do this weekend. Have had a last minute mountain biking trip to the peak district arrnaged so will be visiting the dark side for the weekend.
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • The emu
    No problem, gave me a chance to have a crack at beating my 3 lap TT.

• felgen
    The emu wrote:
    No problem, gave me a chance to have a crack at beating my 3 lap TT.

so.... did you? :lol:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    yep...shaved a little over 30 secs.

Pretty happy as I was held up by a car going down the fast downhill section.

A rider I was catching was just in front of the car at the top and by the time I was at the bottom he was a good 300/400m infront of me, so using that as a guide quick sums suggest it cost me 45 seconds.

• felgen
    good effort!

I was going to give it another go today, but then it rained. Am still toying with the idea of going over there now....
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    Did you manage to get out?

I headed out there, managed to miss the rain but not a good idea though, managed a couple of laps but on the way home hit some wet and oily roads, slipped, popped a tyre (not sure how that happened) and now got a festy graze on my a$$.
    :cry:

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Did 2 laps in 41 minutes which was great but the third was spent with my mate's dad and was probably about 25 minutes plus, so no new time for me this weekend.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Hi,

Does anyone know what time the park closes?

Thanks!
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Sorry chaps, was in Germany all last week and still seem to be having access issues from both of my home computers so can only access at work! :roll: :lol:

Me and 'RP3' (as I've come to label it) have a date this week cos it's been far too long since I last attempted a decent 3-lap time around the park...

... but it all depends on the weather cos the reports are that it's gonna be a windy week, meaning little chance of beating my previous best :roll: :oops:

So, tomorrow, Wed & Thurs are all possibilities - as ever if you see me at least nod or say hi... please! It's lonely out there... :lol: 8)
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Does anyone know what time the park closes?

For bicycles, it doesn't. Riding the park at dusk or after dark is one of South West London's great cycling pleasures. Bring lights. :-)
  • felgen
    The emu wrote:
    Did you manage to get out?

I headed out there, managed to miss the rain but not a good idea though, managed a couple of laps but on the way home hit some wet and oily roads, slipped, popped a tyre (not sure how that happened) and now got a festy graze on my a$$.
    :cry:

No, I didn't go.. was glad I didn't as it rained again later on, so happy to miss that one. Anyway best stuff for road rash grazes is menuka honey - or calendula ointment - I used to by cynical (which I have more reason to be than usual as I am in the business so to speak) but that Calendula worked magic on my Rugby Sevens' grazes!

Still got soaked on morning commute today! UGH!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Made it out today for the first time in over a week after catching a bit of a cold. Bloody hard work as well - the wind was not nice...

Still a few out though.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Having bike size issues at the mo - next time I'm out may well be on a new frame... :shock: