Silly commuting racing

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    itboffin wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    How can a "Tourer with guards" be a higher FCN than a "fast hybrid"? A fast hybrid can have anything up to and including carbon, slick tyres, whereas I've got a tourer with rack, guards, treaded tyres yet I'm one FCN number higher?

That's a very good point, I guess it's a pretty close call really and tourer without loaded panniers can be equally fast. I think the fast hybrid is a real black sheep in the game.

May I make an application for Fast Hybrid and Tourer to be switched in the FCN ranking please? This will make up (a bit) for the new wheel I will require after snapping some spokes this morning. Too many MTFU pills I think.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I have to agree with W1. It reflects reality: a fast hybrid is more likely to be a nuisance than a tourer.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Let me know if we are swapping em and I'll update the FB group. I can see what W1 is getting at tho as I'd expect a fast hybrid to be quicker then a tourer!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I may be being a wee bit blonde here, but is a tourer not essentially a roadie with pannier racks and guards?

We have a panniers adjuster, maybe if that includes the rack, and add in an adjuster for guards?

Or have I got it totally wrong?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Tourers are almost always heavier framed and wheeled to make them sturdier so they can take both the extra weight of panniers, guards and luggage and the extra strain put on them in difficult conditions, over long journeys and long time periods. You take my Focus and "tour" and load it up and it'd snap like a twig at the first sign of sub-optimal conditions.
  • biondino
    Hmm, from the Bikeradar article on Halfords adding 50 new bike-only stores:

The number of commuters cycling to work is said to have increased by 3.3 million since the start of the credit crunch.

Really? That's like 15% of the working population, isn't it? Maybe the number of people who've *thought* about cycling to work. I can't believe it's the true number. There's be the best part of half a million cyclists in London alone!
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    have to agree with W1. It reflects reality: a fast hybrid is more likely to be a nuisance than a tourer.

perhaps in stop start traffic, lots of lights etc but on a long drag getting aero on the drops is going to count more than a couple of pounds and some fatter tyres

J
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I saw that too and though it was a load of old bull. Totally made up on the spot!

No commuting for me today as I'vet got 24 hour man-flu. Back on the bike tomorrow and it will be the new SS! Huzzah, its finally here. Pics to follow but at the moment I'm slightly concerned by the brakes, or rather the lack of them. Don't get me wrong, its got brakes, they just seem to be a pretty ineffectual 35 year old design with blocks that don't face onto the rims quite right and therefore need some "bedding in". Plus the levers are pretty uncomfortable to ride on the drops. Me thinks £50 will be spent at Wiggle for some new Shimano dual pivots and levers :D
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • biondino wrote:
    Hmm, from the Bikeradar article on Halfords adding 50 new bike-only stores:

The number of commuters cycling to work is said to have increased by 3.3 million since the start of the credit crunch.

Really? That's like 15% of the working population, isn't it? Maybe the number of people who've *thought* about cycling to work. I can't believe it's the true number. There's be the best part of half a million cyclists in London alone!

God please no! I can still remember the mess that the tube strike caused as hundreds of extra first time commuters (most likely on Halfords bikes) flooded onto the roads, it was chaos! Trying to get away from lights was terrible as they all just pulled up in front of me!!!
    Having said that I did a mass scalping on Kennington Road as I saw they impending glob of cycle treacle and went down the middle of the lanes of traffic and flew past them as the lights changed :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Re. Tourers

"Assumes David Attenborough voice:"

"They may not have the immediate speed of fast hybrids and roadies but most Tourers (usually old looking desperate to welcome rust and retirement) benefit from usually having an old guy sitting on the saddle and who is usually in possesion of over-developed thighs and calf muscles: a hint that they've been riding during a time when Tourers were cool..."

The Tourer may not scalp you from the lights but in my experience that old guy, due to his conditioning, can maintain his cadence and pace for his entire commute regardless of hills or slight gradience, or whatever are in his panniers as he has probably ridden 10+yrs longer than most have been able to ride bikes.

IMO The fact that it is a roadie, bogged down with panniers and other wieght increasing exra's gives anyone riding a Tourer at speed extra MTFU points.

I feel that we should leave Tourers where they are.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    No commuting for me today as I'vet got 24 hour man-flu. Back on the bike tomorrow and it will be the new SS! Huzzah, its finally here. Pics to follow but at the moment I'm slightly concerned by the brakes, or rather the lack of them. Don't get me wrong, its got brakes, they just seem to be a pretty ineffectual 35 year old design with blocks that don't face onto the rims quite right and therefore need some "bedding in". Plus the levers are pretty uncomfortable to ride on the drops. Me thinks £50 will be spent at Wiggle for some new Shimano dual pivots and levers :D

If it's functionality you're after, why not ask them to bung some gears on it too :)
  • cjcp
    jedster wrote:
    have to agree with W1. It reflects reality: a fast hybrid is more likely to be a nuisance than a tourer.

perhaps in stop start traffic, lots of lights etc but on a long drag getting aero on the drops is going to count more than a couple of pounds and some fatter tyres

J

Hmmm. But:

1. Getting on the drops might be seen as "trying"; and <places tin hat on in preparation>
    2. Perhaps the tourer appeals to more mature rider than the fast hybrid and is more likely to be slower than the hybrid, whether or not on drops <and turns and flees>
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    cjcp wrote:
    2. Perhaps the tourer appeals to more mature rider than the fast hybrid and is more likely to be slower than the hybrid, whether or not on drops <and turns and flees>

Guy-on-the-Tourer is usually fitter and more "seasoned" than the guy on the Fast Hybrid (I'm talking about Flat Bar road bikes, not MTB with slicks like Ridgeback storm, Giant M2 et)

You get the impression that the guy on the Tourer has been riding his trusty steed since the last World War. Whereas Hybrid-man bought his bike because the drops on a roadie scared him...

Sure the Hybrid bke might be faster than the Tourer. But Guy-on-the-Tourer will always get the MTFU respect points for getting 20mph+ from a bike that argubly weighs as much as Ford Transit!

<<stokes the fire>>
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Well I was cycling to work at lunchtime (awaits"you slacker" comments)
    .. and I was struggling against the evil NE wind up the last *mountain*, when up behind me came a man on a bicycle. His "winter" road bike. I told him "take me I'm all yours" (and hoped he took the comment in the context of my scalp, as opposed to "me" per se). He laughed and said he had taken a while to catch me up. He then rode alongside for the last mile or so of my journey and asked if I was in a club, said that I could be based on what he'd seen, and I arrived at work feeling very knackered but a bit chuffed :D

And Blondie - no sandwiches when I got there :?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    linsen wrote:
    Well I was cycling to work at lunchtime (awaits"you slacker" comments)
    .. and I was struggling against the evil NE wind up the last *mountain*, when up behind me came a man on a bicycle. His "winter" road bike. I told him "take me I'm all yours" (and hoped he took the comment in the context of my scalp, as opposed to "me" per se). He laughed and said he had taken a while to catch me up. He then rode alongside for the last mile or so of my journey and asked if I was in a club, said that I could be based on what he'd seen, and I arrived at work feeling very knackered but a bit chuffed :D

And Blondie - no sandwiches when I got there :?

You slacker :shock:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I saw that too and though it was a load of old bull. Totally made up on the spot!

Before you splash, consider the Campagnolo mirage brakes, I was amazed not only do they have great stopping power compared to my 105 new & old versions, ultegra, R600, R400 or even the my Cane Creek's - oh yes they're very cheap as well.

Campagnolo Mirage Brakeset 2009 Black - Pair F&R
    ID: 81550 Unit Price: 26.99 GBP
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • W1
    I may be being a wee bit blonde here, but is a tourer not essentially a roadie with pannier racks and guards?

We have a panniers adjuster, maybe if that includes the rack, and add in an adjuster for guards?

Or have I got it totally wrong?

And, for balance, isn't a "fast hybrid" just a road bike with flat bars?

They tend to be sturdier and heavier - ergo, slower, hence my application to the ruling body of the SCR.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Before you splash, consider the Campagnolo mirage brakes, I was amazed not only do they have great stopping power compared to my 105 new & old versions, ultegra, R600, R400 or even the my Cane Creek's - oh yes they're very cheap as well.

Campagnolo Mirage Brakeset 2009 Black - Pair F&R
    ID: 81550 Unit Price: 26.99 GBP

Oops would help if I told you where I bought them http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

I'm using Cane Creek light weight brake levels
    Cane Creek SCR-5 Levers Pair - Black/Silver
    ID: 87318 Unit Price: 29.99 GBP
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • W1
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Guy-on-the-Tourer is usually fitter and more "seasoned" than the guy on the Fast Hybrid (I'm talking about Flat Bar road bikes, not MTB with slicks like Ridgeback storm, Giant M2 et)

You get the impression that the guy on the Tourer has been riding his trusty steed since the last World War. Whereas Hybrid-man bought his bike because the drops on a roadie scared him...

Sure the Hybrid bke might be faster than the Tourer. But Guy-on-the-Tourer will always get the MTFU respect points for getting 20mph+ from a bike that argubly weighs as much as Ford Transit!

<<stokes the fire>>

And good for him - but that should be extra credit in the FCN stakes, not a handicap.
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

<<stokes the fire>>

Having lost/given up your battle against the mighty FG/SS ace pilots you now launch an attack on the loveable hybrid, you must enjoy the taste of FAILURE....
  • Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well it seems that they are both a heavier version of the roadie.

Tricky...

One has flats, one has drops... both are built for comfort and durability rather than outright speed.

Very tricky.

But then has the person who bought the fast hybrid made an outright, if uninformed, choice for speed where the tourer-buyer has chosen his steed over a roadie as he wants something tougher? Should the tourer therefore be lower?

Or is the lower position achieved with the drops such an advantage that the tourer stays above the hybrid?
  • DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

<<stokes the fire>>

Having lost/given up your battle against the mighty FG/SS ace pilots you now launch an attack on the loveable hybrid, you must enjoy the taste of FAILURE....

Whoa!!! "thems be fighting words!"

Who said I lost my war to the GQ magazine wannabe's?

Anyway, it doesn't matter whether you win or loose its how you play the game.

I'm also semi-retired until the weather improves. Then I will destory all!
    Food Chain number = 4

• cjcp
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tricky...

One has flats, one has drops... both are built for comfort and durability rather than outright speed.

Very tricky.

But then has the person who bought the fast hybrid made an outright, if uninformed, choice for speed where the tourer-buyer has chosen his steed over a roadie as he wants something tougher? Should the tourer therefore be lower?

Or is the lower position achieved with the drops such an advantage that the tourer stays above the hybrid?

IMHO, a "fast" hybrid will leave a tourer on the commute. However, perhaps the difficulty lies in defining "hybrid" - it encompasses a wide range of bikes. Ultimately, it comes down to your conscience: should this chap/ette be causing you the problems s/he is?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Anyway, it doesn't matter whether you win or loose its how you play the game.

Yes it does. It's all about winning (provided it's done safely).
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    It's not the winning, it's the taking apart.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • W1
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tricky...

Very tricky.

Fast hybrid is definitely faster - I'd say a tourer is always a heavier version of a roadie (to be built to carry bulk it has to be) whereas the hybrid could be a roadie with flat bars - and might weigh just the same, have the same spec etc.

I don't think the aero position makes that much difference, when you can just crouch on a flat bar if required....!
  • W1
    cjcp wrote:
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tricky...

Very tricky.

IMHO, a "fast" hybrid will leave a tourer on the commute. However, perhaps the difficulty lies in defining "hybrid" - it encompasses a wide range of bikes. Ultimately, it comes down to your conscience: should this chap/ette be causing you the problems s/he is?

...and on that basis the fast hybrid should be a higher FCN than a tourer - at worst, a "fast" hybrid is equivalent to a tourer, but in the majorty it will be faster.

How many votes do I need to make this change binding?
  • itboffin
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tricky...

Very tricky.

I guess that very much depends on where you ride, for example here in Wiltshire riding on the drops uphill :shock: for prolonged periods ouch!
  • biondino
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm also semi-retired until the weather improves. Then I will destory all!

No, then you'll spend two months dragging your fitness back up to acceptable levels - and that's if a springtime of being scalped by children and grannies doesn't demoralise you for good :twisted: