broken hip recovery advice needed...............

Comments

• Thanks guys for the encouragement! I took two Advil's [Ibuprophen] at lunch and another two about three hours later and ZERO pain! I never take any medicine..so perhaps the hip pain being as minor as having Advil completely get rid of it is normal for such a big bone fracture?! Gonna ride 56 miles tomorrow and 55 on Sunday!! The Weather in Atlanta will be PERFECT this weekend for riding..starting out chilly and moderating by the end of the rides.
  • Biggsie-when did you become aware the screws were backing out ? Is it obvious on the xray ? I can see the screw heads are 1-2mm off the bone on my 6 week film which I wouldn't think would be noticeable.

I would hate the idea of being nonweight bearing for several more weeks and then worrying about fractures through the screw tunnels later after removal. The tunnels for my ACL reconstruction (L knee..same unlucky side) took years to fill in. They were a lot smaller than these ones are too!

Speaking of that...aside from the 6 weeks NWB, the rehab from this injury actually seems a bit easier. Anyone else with both experiences ? The muscles in the leg atrophied much faster and were a lot harder to get back with the ACL. Also joints have a lot to do with the ability to balance (they have sensors that tell your brain where the limb is in time and space) and whereas much of the ACL rehab was to help you retrain that, the femoral neck fracture (outside the joint itself) seems to have left that intact.

What kind of range of motion do other folks have after 3 mos, 6 mos, etc ? I'm working on it with froglegs etc but it is painful. Should I expect to sit Indian style in time again ?
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Dislocated leg, shattered hip (left) and a stable fracture of lower vertibrae (5 hour operation 2 litres of blood lost) in Motorcycle accident in 2004 (coming up for anniversary, 19th). Hip pinned together, metal still in there don't think it's ever coming out. Hip always has pain in it, thopugh not bad enough to stop me cycling/running (though no more football), and movement not the same as other leg. It's funny now but I can only really remember the "funny" things that happened whilst recuperating in the Hospital, maybe the drug's/painkillers helped see the funny side. (few horror stories too!) Anyway I suppose the morale of the story is do what you can (whatever it is) while you're able to do it! :)
  • Splottboy wrote:
    Hey, Conceptsails...How did you get to pay for Scan? My GP's says he doesn't have the authority to organise one, but he can only "request" one. So waiting for Hospital to reply as X Ray showed only normal wear/tear. ( Considering I've been training for 35 + years, what a result! )
    What did it cost? May be worth it for me, as compo claim could for dog attacks could repay it. Any help/advice appreciated, Matey!

Sorry for late response... I got the GP to request an MRI on NHS as like you the x ray didn't show anything nasty and yet i was still in a bit of pain. The wait was about 4 weeks so i googled my consultants name and got the contact details of his secretary as i was aware he also did private work hence that i had only met him for 12 seconds on the NHS. It cost about £350 but was seen within a week. It then cost £180 for a chat about the results and £90 for every meeting after. The MRI reviled the crack that the xray missed so well worth doing. I have recently had another xray privately which was £93 followed by another £90 to chat about the results.
    Luckily the girl who hit me was insured so I pay for it all up front and then send the invoices to AVIVA who re-emburse me usually very quickly.
    Hope this is some help
  • sunjewel wrote:
    Biggsie-when did you become aware the screws were backing out ? Is it obvious on the xray ? I can see the screw heads are 1-2mm off the bone on my 6 week film which I wouldn't think would be noticeable.

I would hate the idea of being nonweight bearing for several more weeks and then worrying about fractures through the screw tunnels later after removal. The tunnels for my ACL reconstruction (L knee..same unlucky side) took years to fill in. They were a lot smaller than these ones are too!
    ?

Honestly, there was a teeny bit of a gap after 6 weeks or so. My orthopod is highly regarded here in San Francisco and says while not ideal, settling happens and as long as the bone is mending, I'm in good shape. His office is literally at the bottom of Mt. Tam, the birthplace of mountain biking. Guys have been falling off the mountain for years and he's been there to put him back together so he's seen his share.

I'm getting my screws removed after ski season. I plan to wreck regularly during the season so I want to pick a time when I won't be seeing any impacts. While I could certainly fall again on my road bike 4 weeks after I get my screws removed, I don't plan on it. Lots of calcium supplements, stretching, weight training and I hope I don't hit just the right angle to break my hip again. My understanding is that I'll be on crutches for 2-3 weeks after removal.

Frankly, I'm only 40 so it's pretty odd that I broke it the first time around.
  • you shouldn't even be that long on crutches after screw removal, I was about 3 days on 2 and then about week more on 1. I was told the bone is pretty weak after the screws are removed so i wouldn't be rushing back into full impact too early.
  • labarum
    labarum Posts: 110
    I broke my hip ten days ago and now have three screws and a plate holding me together.

All I have been told so far is crutches for three months then maybe a walking stick.

Like another poster I have been wondering about a recumbent to get me some exercise sooner. I hadn't thought about rollers. I hate machines in gyms and love to be out and about.

I am 60 and use an Audax - used to 10-20 miles a day.

Clearly I must wait and see what the physio says, but I fear most of them will be in "old lady" mode.
  • Labarum,

I have great sympathy - I am 63 in April and last June managed to fracture my hip (sub trochanteric fracture of femur to be precise) while on roller blades. I have a rod and a couple of screws.
    The physios claimed to be impressed with my progress and signed me out early October.
    I can now walk a fair distance, though 7 miles has been my max and I tire on mud and ice, even though I use a trekking pole.
    I have been on the bike - ridden across the dam at Rutland Water and back. I'm now waiting for summer - or at least no ice! I think I'll resort to some of the padding options.
    I also had a bone density scan and my hips are within normal range, though there is slight loss of calcium from my back, so I'm trying to make sure I carry a little extra weight to encourage bone strength.
    But like you, I feel rather 'old-ladied'. Grrr.

It must have been hugely frustrating to have the wonderful weather of this New Year in the Southampton area - we were out near Lepe, walking on NYD, though I don't live down there - daughter does.
  • labarum
    Thanks. How far did you walk on crutches? How soon and how often? What other exercise did you do? Are you a swimmer, and did you?

As soon as I can drive I could get to a pool just two miles from here, but It all depends on direction from the physios.

Any tips would be most appreciated. I have searched the internet, but not found anything particularly useful.
  • I gradually built up the walking from daily round the village over a period of a few weeks - the surgeon discharged me after about seven weeks. At that stage I was still using the crutches, and could just about move without them, but with a huge limp. I moved to using one crutch and then a walking stick - I hated that because I was putting so much pressure on my hand that it was more painful than the leg. My best move was to get a trekking pole.

I can now walk without the pole, but not when it's slippery - the whole thing has definitely knocked my confidence.

I do swim, though I have done less recently than I used to - I had been swimming about a mile twice a week - now I can do a kilometer, no problem, and not pushing hard - crawl and breaststroke. But I didn't start until October time, for other reasons - a holiday, the crowds at the newly opened rebuilt pool etc.

I still feel the leg - not exactly pain, but an annoying 'awareness' at times.

I'm sure timetable depends on individual injury and advice though. Will try and make a list of what happened when, if it helps.

Here approx:
    2 June – break
    4 June - op
    9 June - out of hospital with zimmer and crutches, and able to negotiate stairs.
    19 June - walking 600 yards with crutches
    23 June - halfway round the village
    25 June - physio - appointments about every 2 weeks, then a weekly 'lower limbs class'(!)
    21 July drove – could probably have done so earlier.
    15 Sept – 6-mile walk on flat ground with trekking pole.
    2 Oct - told me I didn't need to keep attending physio classes.

PS I did religiously follow all the physio exercise until we went on holiday in early October - buttock clenches, leg raises etc, and also made use of a Wii-Fit for balancing exercises.
  • Just chickened out of walk on icy pavements and tracks this morning - I think I'll go and buy myself new walking boots (long overdue) and maybe some kind of grip for the soles, if I can find them. Should guarantee a few mild winters!
  • johndf
    johndf Posts: 250
    Hi Laburum

Sorry to hear you have joined the club! I broke my hip almost a year ago. I have 3 pins in it but no plate because my break was on the ball of the hip. It seems to have healed pretty well except that I have have had problems with my gluteus medius muscle which has made it very painful going upstairs. I think it is at last getting better, but I still have a way to go before it is right. You definitely need to keep up the physio exercises for several months. I stopped mine about 5 months after my break and that is when I started getting worse. It has taken an extra 4 months to try to get my gluteus medius right! (I did also suffer a stroke 2 years ago and the private physio I had told me that that had probably also weakened my gluteus.).

Best of luck

John
  • I too found it difficult to get information on specific rehab after a fracture of the proximal femur.
    My last orthopedic debacle was a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the L knee 7 years ago and there were very specific rehab protocols for strengthening muscles and regaining balance and quickness.
    Perhaps the fact that most hip fractures are in elderly persons is what makes the difference, whereas ACL tears are generally in younger athletic types. It seems everyone is happy if you can walk without a limp...and that's about it !
    I'm about 4 1/2 months out from surgery..3 pins..and find that I can hike 6-7 miles without difficulty and ride as much as I want...but there are certain muscles that are still weak.
    Standing on the operated leg in certain yoga poses for 1+minutes has taken a lot of work and clearly puts more stress on it than just walking.
    Getting to my feet on a surfboard to standup paddle exposes a weakness in that hip flexion and extension that isn't obvious any other time.
    Doing lateral leg lifts while lying on the uninjured side also lets you know if you aren't full strength/full range of motion yet.
    Carrying heavy things for any distance also has to be introduced gradually.
    Good luck with your rehab !
  • Kwotters
    Kwotters Posts: 8
    edited January 2010
    Just back from a week in Devon/Cornwall - including some walking on the coastal path- five or six miles a time . I'm still a bit slower than I'd like, but managed ups and downs fine (with the trusty trekking pole, natch!).

Agree with sunjewel about standing on one leg - took me a while to be able to get dressed in my normal way, and still feels strained if I stand on the affected leg for longer than about 30 seconds. Any skipping/jumping movements also make it ache a little still.

Keep on buggering on, I guess.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    UPDATE: After another dog chase, and a slip on black ice, inner thigh/groin/abs painful.

X RAY last week showed Dynamic Hip Screw as fine, but protruding very slightly at the side, but no arthritis. and normal wear/tear for 52yr old git!

Pain now diagnosed as "Psoas Tendinitis", lined up for Cortisone injection next month.
    Physio reckons it will be worth it as as he's seen good reults before.
    So, I'm waiting for hospital appt.
    ( Apparently, the Psoas and Ilio muscles tend to get neglected, particularly after a big operation, and can cause hip, inner thigh and internal lower back pain.)
  • Kwotters
    Did a gentle five or six miles on the Rutland Water tracks today (the tarmac variety) - such a delight to be cycling! I did put some improvised padding on - not sure if the benefit is more psychological than real though.

How goes it, Labarum, Splottboy, sunjewel and others?
  • labarum
    I am doing very well In the mornings I walk to the local health centre, do exercises and swim in the pool, make use of the jacuzzi, and walk home. In the afternoon I take a walk round the Common. Full weight on my leg now and crutches used only as stabilisers. One crutch only in the house.

First Xray a month ago was fine Three screws still well places. Next Xray in a couple of weeks, then we shall go off to Cyprus for three months.

Will have to find a physio there.

Hope others are doing well.
  • Splottboy
    Had an injection, Cortisone, into the thigh area for the Psaos tendonitis, and it seems to have made a difference. Last week was my 2nd Anniversary of the break, LOL!

So, doing road on Mtb, with lots of short 4 - 5 min climbs, and not too bad so far.
    Choice on longish road to Beddgelert Forest via Nantlle Valley tomorrow, or local very hilly lanes. Can't decide which to do...
    But to be honest, just glad to be able to do any due to the crap I've gone thro.
  • johndf
    I have just had the screws taken out on Tuesday, 13 months after my fracture. Three screws, each about 10 cm long. The op to take them out was ok, though my scar is 8 cm long, compared to the 3cm scar I had when they were put in. I am now recuperating and the pain from the incision is gradually reducing.

The screws were rubbing against the muscle, causing me quite a lot of problems, such as being unable to go upstairs without quuite a lot of pain. Already, just 5 days later, I have less pain going upstairs, even thogh the incision is quite painful. I was also getting a lot of pain in my knee, and that has totally disappeared, so I am sure it was worth having the screws out. The consultant said that some people keep the screws in and have no problems, but other people need them removed, and I am clearly one of the latter!
  • Kwotters
    After my gentle ride my leg was quite 'tight' yesterday evening and to a lesser extent today, and it has eased during the day. I had a similar experience before Christmas when I walked faster than I 'should' have done. Don't you hate these reminders?

Good to hear others are doing well.
  • hi everyone - i am another rider who fell 16 days ago - and the pain told me i had something wrong!

anyway a few hours later i had 3 cannulated screws put into my left hip -

5 days before the crash i was on Ben Swifts wheel in a race and now im on crutches!

Obviously taking time to come to terms with this...my first sport will be getting into the pool in the next couple of weeks. i have my appointment with the doctor in just over 4weeks time

its good to read this thread and also read about Landis who had similar before winning TdF :)
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    You're quite lucky to be able to go exercising ain a fortnight.

I broke my accetabulum last May and have only just got back on the bike.

I was specifically warned against any sporting activity, especially repetitive actions like cycling and swimming.

I didn't have screws though and I think it took a little longer than normal for the bones to knit.
  • hey guinea - dont think im gonna do much apart from get my legs wet! lol

you are correct though - the less intervention the more unstable - ie no metal work means that weight bearing harder, but for you on a really good point, recovery is ultmately better. so be heartened
  • zerostar
    zerostar Posts: 37
    I snapped my femur and cracked the top surface (inside the knee) of my shin bone in a snowboarding accident in January 2009.
    Spent 4 months on crutches, a big part of rebuilding the muscles in my leg was sitting on the stationary bike in the gym.
    Managed to run a sub 2hr half marathon at the end of September 2009, but only really stopped limping at the end of 2009.

Recover quickly everyone.
  • johndf
    Sorry to hear there are some new members of our 'club'. Hope you all recover well and quickly. I broke my femur in Feb 2009, 3 screws inserted and was three months non weightbearing. By July I was fairly well recovered but then started limping more again and I was having quite a bit of pain going upstairs. Eventually in january this year when I had my latest checkup, the consultant said that it was the screws that were causing me the problems. I had them removed about 4 weeks ago and it has made a huge difference already, although the consultant said that it would take 9 months before the muscles and other tissues were fully back to normal. So if after about 6 or 9 months you are still having trouble, it could be that you need your metalwork removed.

Best wishes

John
  • Splottboy
    Just over 2 yrs since mine, Mothers Day, 08. Fractured femur/DHS put in.

Had a Cortisone injection for Psoas Tendinitis bout 6 weeks ago.

Felt a lot better after 2 or 3 dyas, but the initial improvement not so apparent now.

But, found some flats with about 90 steps in each, so when I deliver there, I've done:
    Skip/trot up first flite, then every-other-step next flite. Jog down, holding hand rail.
    There are about 8 flites to each block of flats. TOTALLY knacked at the end!

But, strength to leg/hip seems improved. Also found some outdoor steps, bout 30 - 50 which I'll do now it's getting lighter at night.

Still not confident for running, but hard rides of 2.5hrs ok so far.
    Not bad for old git, 53 next month!
  • Kwotters
    Youngster! :lol: I'm 63 tomorrow.

I'm pleased that I've just managed a 7 mile walk on Sunday, and a 6 mile one today, and didn't use the trekking pole - will continue to take it though, in case ground is slippery, muddy etc!

Now to start doing some more bike-riding ...
  • HelenCO
    HelenCO Posts: 3
    Thank you all for this thread so far. It has been great to read everyone's experiences, and have a better idea of what to expect in the months ahead. I am a 35yo female living in Colorado, USA. I broke my left hip just over a week ago, on Sat. May 22nd. I was riding my bike on a bike path with my husband and 2 younger kids, against a strong headwind. The wind suddenly hit me from the side and knocked me over, and I couldn't get my left foot out of the toe cage, and down I went onto my hip. (My apologies if I get cycling terms wrong -- I'm relatively new to cycling, having only bought a reasonable bike last summer.) I was in a lot of pain and couldn't move my leg, so the cyclists behind me called for the paramedics. X-rays at the hospital showed a hip fracture, and I had surgery that day to put 3 screws in. I was pretty foggy on pain meds at the time; I think the orthopedic surgeon said that I cracked the ball of the hip and slightly dislocated it, but I'll find out what he actually said when I go in for my first appointment next week.

It seems very weird to have a broken bone with no cast -- I have to remember not to move my leg wrong and cause pain. I can walk with a front-wheel walker, bringing my left foot down heel first, but not putting any weight on it. Yesterday I went down the stairs with a crutch for the first time, then walked around the kitchen with a walker, then back up the stairs with a crutch. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be, and I was in need of ice packs and a nap afterward, but it was easier to do the same thing today. I was able to sit outside on the porch swing for the first time since my accident.

It's kind of scary not really knowing what to expect, so I am really glad to have found this discussion. Like others have mentioned, when you google for hip fractures, you mostly get a lot of information about how many older people die within a year afterwards, so that is not very encouraging. My goal is to be able to drive and return to college classes by the end of August, and hopefully I can be outside biking again next spring. I'm sad to miss out on all the summer outdoor activities, but also glad it is during the summer because my older two kids (15 & 13) will be home to help take care of the younger two (almost 7 & almost 10). We'll see how that goes this week with dh returning to work half-days, and then back full-time next week.

-Helen
  • Broke my hip 5 weeks ago now, 38yrs old, as other posters have said very little info out there for us "youngsters" (for this op at least!) :lol:

Have dynamic hip screw in there. Have been doing physio exercises myself (side leg raise whilst stood, rear leg raise, mini squats, seated leg raise) One of them wasn't too bad but is now causing me a burning problem - it's the the one where you stand up and bend the leg up, hopefully to the 90 degree point with the knee bent. It actually feels like the muscle is pulling against something and I get a severe burning pain. Suffice to say I have stopped that one. Stopped injecting with Clexane a few days ago have now switched to aspirin and paracetamol for pain relief.

Can anyone let me know how they went on with the physio? What should I expect? Down to one elbow crutch in the house now, aiming to be back at work shortly (6 week period, when I can drive at last)

One of the guys from the surgical team said afterwards that a large muscle was present so they had no choice other than to cut through it. I have a 7 inch scar present that seems excessive?

Glad I found this thread.
  • dicey
    dicey Posts: 1
    Sounds familiar sph1971sph.

37 yr old and fractured neck of my femur 9 weeks ago whilst racing, also fixed up with a dynamic hip screw.
    Basically walking fine now and ride turbo softly for 60 min but its obvious that full recovery is miles off.
    Biggest pain now is simply soft tissue around the DHS and not yet having any good info about getting it removed is obviously doing me head in.
    Physio had me doing standard exercises but more importantly told me to get back on me bike.
    7 inch scar sounds impressive compared to my 4 inch, think I'll ask for 7 when they take me DHS out.
    Sounds like yer ganna be working weeks before me n all.

Cheers marra