broken hip recovery advice needed...............

Comments

• V-twin
    V-twin Posts: 49
    My wait was about 18 months before the screws came out. There wasn't really a link between the mending of the bone and the removal of the screws - the bone was fine and no sign of AVN after 12 months, but they insisted I wait until 18 months. It was me pushing for it - my consultant said that many people don't ever have them removed and indeed I still have 2 in my right ankle from another exploration of the orthopedic surgeon's art.

The screw heads were projecting from the bone and catching on the muscles down the outside of the thigh. I've got them on my mantlepiece - the screws, not the muscles :wink:

mox senex dormit
  • johndf
    johndf Posts: 250
    iwf wrote:
    i had my six week check with the Surgeon on Monday.

I'm allowed to start weight bearing now with am aim to be fully weight bearing in another 5 weeks. Still not getting any official physio I'm supposed to continue the excercises I've been doing for the last 6 weeks.

Will this ever end? I think I go see my GP. Would like to try some swimming.

Hi IWF

Yes I think it would be good to do some swimming. I have hydrotherapy twice a week and it really help to feel that I am doing some thing to aid my recovery. Good news that you can now partially weight bear - good luck in getting back to full weight bearing.
  • johndf
    I had my 12 week check last Friday. I can at last properly partial weight bear (50%). The doc told me that after 4 more weeks I can go on to full weight bearing, which will be great. I have been on the turbo for the last 6 weeks on minimum resistance, and I am gradually pedalling faster. I was only going very slowly at first, but I'm up to a cadence of about 90 now. I have been having hydrotherapy since two weeks after I broke my hip so that passes some of the time.
  • biggsie
    biggsie Posts: 7
    Great thread. Not exactly happy to be hear but feel fortunate that this thread allows us to relate our stories.

Mine:
    Saturday, May 2, 2009. Raining like cats and dogs in Marin, north of San Francisco. I turn off from a longer group ride and ride hills instead. Nearly at the end of a 45 mi ride with 4500ft of climbing...probably three turns from the bottom of a twisty descent when I lose it.

Rear wheel starts drifting as I enter a corner. Whack! Down I go, slide under guard rail, shatter my BMC. Fortunately the next car didn't hit me AND it was a pickup truck which took me to a fire station where an ambulance came to collect me.

Sheered the ball of the femur right as it attaches to the neck. The fracture was displaced and my quads/gluteals were cramping due to exertion and trauma. I've never felt pain like that before. Took 10(?) servings of morphine to get the cramps to stop.

Fortunately, I was on the surgeons table by 5pm. They used 3 x 4" screws to reattach the ball.

Now, ~12 days later, the pain is very minimal and I almost feel like I could walk on it (but I surely won't). I've been ordered no weight bearing for another 3 1/2 weeks. From there, I expect partial weight bearing but who knows.

I've been told I can get on a recumbent stationary bike with zero resistance as early as next week and I can swim w/o using my legs the week after.

My understanding is that any weight bearing is very bad in the first month (standing, lifting the leg straight out, etc.) but movement is good - swimming, cycling, etc. Movement speeds healing and hopefully helps out with AVN (avascular necrosis) whereby you lose blood flow to the ball and the need to resurface it a la Floyd Landis.

All told, I'm feeling pretty lucky. Some others on this forum had a break PLUS some serious muscle/ligament damage and that must be incredibly difficult to deal with.

Looking back on it, I still wonder why the rear wheel went. I was riding my commute/rain wheels which I rarely touch. I had mounted Michelin Speediums which have a good amount of siping. In hindsight, I think the tires had dried out and glazed. Since I had only ridden in the rain and cornered fairly conservatively, I don't think I got a chance to wear the glaze off....sticking with the high price sticky rubber from now on
  • barryg
    barryg Posts: 3
    I've blogged 4 years of my experience after fracturing my hip in a bicycling accident here:

http://barrygee.blogspot.com

It was meant to journal my experience in surgery, therapy, recovery and frustration to help others to deal with a similar fate.
  • johndf
    Barry

Sounds like you have really been through the wars. It is painful just reading it, let alone experiencing it! Hope you finally get back to good health soon.

I'm now 16 weeks down the line and I am walking quite a bit without the crutches, though not for the whole day yet. Hopefully I'll get to that soon. There is not very much pain now, though in the evening it starts to hurt a bit. I cannot get out on the bike yet, as my physio says that I need to do balance exercises first. Hopefully that wont take too long. I have another X ray in two weeks so I'll post again after that to say how it went.
  • biggsie
    Update! Saw the doc yesterday, 4 weeks and 2 days after my accident and surgery and he said I can start weighting my leg! Need to start slowing, only do it as comfort allows, etc. but this is a huge relief! I've been able to take a couple of steps without crutches but my leg i incredibly weak. I'm confident the strength will return over the new couple of weeks.

I think my fitness before the accident helped tremendously. That and the fact that I have a clean break of the femoral neck but otherwise no other damage.
  • johndf
    Just had the go ahead from the physio to go out on the bike, gently at first. I'm a bit nervous about it and anyway it has rained all day so I'll leave it until it's dry. I've had seventeen weeks off the bike so it's going to be very strange - but I can't wait!!!
  • iwf
    iwf Posts: 4
    I started cycling to work again last week. That's 4 months post accident.

Fab to be back on the real roads again, and though I'm more cautious than before I don't feel like i'm going to get knocked off again. Of course it helps i've a new bike to ride, but hey "I'm worth it". Rode 20 miles today, just to get a haircut!

Turns out the damaged leg is now around 7mm shorter than the good one so i need to put some heel thingies in my shoes. I've still a slight limp if I walk far without the crutch.

Physio's going well and I shouldn't have a problems skying next year. I'm told the hip screw will stay in forever.

Frankly given the mess my thigh was in I'm amazed and truly thankful I wasn't thrown in front of a bus

Next up London - Paris
  • ok, having built back up to 100 odd miles a week and feeling pretty pleased with myself, i started getting a bit of pain back so went for another x ray on NHS. Everything looks ok and doctor thiught i was making a fuss about nothing, but its not right so i paid for an MRI with fear of AVN.. Turns out i do not have AVN but i have broken the little fecker again. A hairline crack has appeared between the holes where the screws were removed. This apparently was probably not caused by the bike but more likley diging the garden or lifting somthing in everyday life. It has put me back another 6 months so BEWARE if you have had pins out your leg is still very fragile for a year after they have been removed (information i could have used a month ago - nice one NHS). I think I can draw two points of advice from this.
    Get second opinions on everything - pay for private healthcare if you can afford it.
    Even if you feel strong - up to 2 years after the accident - you are not!
    Back to the sofa for me for another couple of months :evil:
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    with a NOF injury, do as you consultant tells you. if you're told not to cycle then don't. Really don't.

NOF injuries are potentially threatening, especially when done within the first 24 hours, as there are major arteries which run around that area, therefore a broken NOF can displace and catch one of these arteries and cause an internal bleed. Something serious if you caught the main artery which runs up the legs into the groin and then into the stomach and chest which is the main blood supply.

I don't mean to scare, but a NOF is a serious injury, so treat it as such and just do as your told for your own sake. once they break they can break or dislocate again more easily so don't given it a chance.

Hope you have a speedy recovery :)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • johndf
    Oh dear - that's really unfortunate for you, conceptsails. I hope your recovery doesn't take too long.

My recovery was going pretty well, but over the last two weeks I have been having more pain and I have started limping more as well. I went for an Xray and there is no sign of AVN, but the doc couldn't give me an explanation of why it has got worse rather than better. However, I had not been doing my physio exercises for a couple of weeks as I though that I didn't need to any more, so maybe that is the problem. I had also started back on the bike (with agreement of the physio) but the doc didn't think that was the cause. I do get pain in my knee and near my hip where they put the screws in.

John
  • johndf
    Forgot to mention that I also have trouble going up stairs. I have pain when I try to go up stairs normally. If I have a handrail on the right hand side then I can get up easily. Otherwise I can only prevent the pain by going up one stair at a time, putting my good leg on the next step first and then my bad leg. Is this a common problem, and if so how long does it take to get better?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    I have had 3 hip replacements. Give me a shout if you want to talk. IM/e-mail:

robbie2sox@yahoo.co.uk

Rob
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • biggsie
    conceptsales - Bummer about the new break. My Dad, a former aerospace structural engineer who broke his hip in the same place as me said he didn't want to get the screws out for just this reason. I guess you need to go very easy for that first six months back. Thanks for sharing.

johndf - As far as walking up stairs, I had the same issue. I think it was related to an overuse injury on my hip flexor for being on crutches and trying to keep the bad leg suspended off the ground. This muscle literally took the longest to return to full strength.

Update on me: I'm at 3 mo since my break of the fermoral neck. Was full weight bearing at about 6 weeks. Recovery was good until about 9 weeks and then things flattened out. Pain around the incision area. Very pronounced limp, etc.

Saw the doc and he said no PT until 3 months which he says his the time it takes for most bones to heal completely. I continued to ride the bike, swim and stretch. Suddenly, 2 weeks ago I made a *huge* step forward. I think my limp is almost gone!

I *think* this coincided with when I started taking calcium supplements. Even though I think I eat well, I may not have been getting enough calcium and the femur is just a huge bone.

I also read an article in the NY Times that cyclists may have lower bone densities b/c extreme aerobic exercise w/o some sort of impact (like running) tends to rob calcium from the bones and make them brittle. The study mainly focused on elite athletes but I figured supplements couldn't hurt. I'm also taking glucosamine/chondritin as my knees are having some issues.

Anyway, I'm feeling great and climbing out of the saddle on the bike is really coming along. Doing a metric century this weekend.

Good luck all!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    RE: Music, Hip-Hop. Sorry, Hip-op!
    Yeah, got me a lovely "Dynamic Hip Screw" too, Circa, Mothers Day, 08.
    Air ambulance from Coed Y Brenin, then 3 days in Hospital. Bout 6 weeks on crutches, then LIGHT, Very LIGHT Physio exercises, Knee lifts, 6ins, stretches.
    After bout 8 weeks, 1 - 2 mins on Turbo, with same recovery, for about 10mins.
    ( Getting on/off bike worst bit! )

Built up to around 20mins, 30, 45 over few weeks. Used resistance band and Nike band kit for upper body. Stretched constantly, in hot bath to get muscles mobile. WEIRD!!! As ex Martial Arts instructor, mobility important for range of movement/mobility.
    Cycling's crap for this, being stuck hunched up for hour after hour.

Took months before road ride. But, got to over an hour then 3hrs + in few months.
    Swimming was done, but not too much. tried jogging, but not good...
    Back on Mtb after 3mths or so, but carefully. Now I use a Bosu or Swiss ball, excellent for core stability/balance/overall strengthening.

Back to work after 3 months, even jogged 5 miles recently, then...
    Chased by dog - p/t postal worker. Tore my groin avoiding getting bitten x 3.
    And, had 3 more doggy attacks since, so laid up on the sick last 2 months. ( Must be my aftershave, essence of Bitch.)
    X Ray showing nothing to do with "DHS", so all new injuries. Just my luck!
    Paid out £244 for private physio, well worth it. Ba=ck to light Turbo again. DOH!
    So, need to see hospital physio/get scan hopefully, eager to ride/race but not rushing it.
    It WILL recover, just takes time, effort, patience, and an understanding WIFE...
  • Splottboy
    Hey, Conceptsails...How did you get to pay for Scan? My GP's says he doesn't have the authority to organise one, but he can only "request" one. So waiting for Hospital to reply as X Ray showed only normal wear/tear. ( Considering I've been training for 35 + years, what a result! )
    What did it cost? May be worth it for me, as compo claim could for dog attacks could repay it. Any help/advice appreciated, Matey!
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Hey guys

16 months after braking my hip I am due to have the pins removed on Friday. I am a little bit nervous of this because at the moment everything is fine. No problems whatsoever, just an occasional ‘odd’ feeling if I have been pretty active for a few days. I’m worried that if I don’t leave it well alone I am asking for trouble.

The reason the doctor advised for it was because a few months ago I feel off my bike on the same hip. It was OK, just painful for a few days, and he said if it breaks around the pins its quite bad.

So what can I expect having surgery to remove the pins?
    Mañana
  • pb21 wrote:
    I’m worried that if I don’t leave it well alone I am asking for trouble.
    I think you have a legitimate concern and should give very careful consideration before removing the hardware. I'm sure everyone's experience is going to be unique, so it's hard to predict how your removal surgery recovery will go (mine was harder than I thought it would be). It may or may not require 4-8+ weeks on crutches and/or physical therapy. It is also a very invasive procedure requiring another deep incision through muscle, chipping bone away from the screw heads, etc.
  • pepelepew
    pepelepew Posts: 180
    edited September 2009
    V-twin wrote:

Coupla things to add: I suffered a slight loss of leg-length as a result and have had to adjust my setup accordingly. It's only a few mils but it does make a difference.

V-T

+1 on this. I broke my leg (not hip related, fibula), went through recovery and returned to normal. Playing golf one day I had the most incredible back spasm after hitting a drive (think it was on the 13th tee, lucky for some). Numerous trips to osteopath and the upshot is I had a leg length imbalance which manifested itself in my back. This was not picked up on during my outpatients appointments, but is something you need to be aware of during your recovery.

Edit - didn't notice date of original post. Apologies if going over old ground.
    Good luck.
    Det. Sgt. George Carter: Do you know what, Jack? You're full of sh!t.
    Det. Insp. Jack Regan: I thought it was about time you made an intellectual contribution to this debate.
    Det. Sgt. George Carter: Boll@cks.
  • pb21 wrote:
    Hey guys

16 months after braking my hip I am due to have the pins removed on Friday. I am a little bit nervous of this because at the moment everything is fine. No problems whatsoever, just an occasional ‘odd’ feeling if I have been pretty active for a few days. I’m worried that if I don’t leave it well alone I am asking for trouble.

The reason the doctor advised for it was because a few months ago I feel off my bike on the same hip. It was OK, just painful for a few days, and he said if it breaks around the pins its quite bad.

So what can I expect having surgery to remove the pins?

I had plates and screws removed from my ankles recently. Recovery was similar to post fracture. 6 weeks minimal weight bearing, then gradually increase things. Only problem was that surgeon could not remove one of the screws and left it there. It's made a difference for me as the screws were causing me problems, particularly as I wear boots for work. I had a lot of swelling and discomfort after spending 12 hours in boots.

Removal is generally self elective, and the Drs are keen to leave it in-situ if you are not having problems.
    Det. Sgt. George Carter: Do you know what, Jack? You're full of sh!t.
    Det. Insp. Jack Regan: I thought it was about time you made an intellectual contribution to this debate.
    Det. Sgt. George Carter: Boll@cks.
  • I am puzzled at many of you folks with broken hips have the screws taken out? Why? My ortho Dr says there is no reason whatsoever to remove them if they are not bothering you. According to the DR everything has grown over them in the last two months and there is no need to remove them.

I had the misfortune of breaking two hips not just one and I had a clot and the whole works. I was in the hospital for 12 days including 3 days PT.

I also had a rod placed inside my leg along with the three screws, and I guess I am the only one who has a rod inserted in both of my hips, not hearing from other comments there was nothing mentioned about a rod?

In two months I was walking without the aide of anything. No walker, no crutches, no cane. I still have some pain but I was fortunate that although I am just 70 years of age, I was very healthy pre breaking my hips, thank goodness.

Just my thoughts.

Bill Mack
    Greendale Wi
  • So I was having a blast on my mountain bike with my riding group...speeding along a twisty singletrack on a perfect late summer evening...when BLAM I went down on my L hip sliding on some small round rocks that acted like a sheet of ice.
    Helicopter ride...ambulance..etc..basilar fracture of the femoral neck, now with 3 titanium screws in it.
    I was nonweight bearing for 6 weeks (well, light toe touch) which was harder than it sounds, eh ?
    Thrilled to be progressive weight bearing after that...couldn't wait to get to one crutch and get a carrying arm back.
    I'm 2 months now, still walking with a cane except for a few steps around the house. I'm allowed to stationary bike (don't want to stand), swim (lopsided frog kick) and stretch (ow). Directions regarding PT haven't been very clear so I'm not using weights, but recently added a band for resistance.
    I still have quite a limp without the cane. I guess I'd say it's from pain when I hit a certain point in the stride. I'm only putting 15 lbs or so on the cane but it must be enough to make a difference.
    I'm very grateful to have stumbled on this forum as it is hard to get information on rehab of this injury in folks who are very active and hope to remain so. I've already learned lots about hardware removal issues and risks for AVN.
  • Sorry to hear about the wreck but welcome to the club! You're accident seems similar to mine less the sweet helicopter ride.

Take it easy and be patient. It's a surprising fast heal unless you had other injuries. I rode Alpe D'Huez 4 months after my break.

I think taking calcium supplements with added D+K helped my bone density move along faster but your results may vary.

I'm at six months now and looking forward to getting the screws out in the spring. While the pain is pretty low, it ramps up when I stress the joint at certain angle. Most likely from the muscle pressing against the screw heads which are now sticking out a fair amount. Should be an interesting ski season.

Cheers
  • Hi, I broke my hip at the neck of the femor on a fall on my road bike a year ago..three screws, not a dislocated fracture..just a simple fracture. On crutches 12 weeks. Did weight training after two weeks post surgery...light. Started riding again at 16 weeks. Have ridden 3748 miles since break. Hip still hurts...almost daily...a dull pain..sometime not at all. I can ride as fast and hard as before the break. Do centuries and lots of climbing. Did one century of 104 miles and 11,200 feet of vertical climbing in Sept. My question is this...should it still hurt at one year? Should I be freaking out worrying about AVN? [Avascular Necrosis]? I'm sorta young [just turned 58] and in great shape..if that helps. Dr. did X-rays last week..everything looked perfect.said come back in a year.
  • AVN appears as early as a couple of months after the injury and would surely show up on an x-ray one year later.

I would bet the pain is related to the screws/plate.

Another thought is that you got some imbalance during the recovery, crutching, etc. which triggered sciatica in your lower back. Sciatica can manifest itself as pain down one leg as something presses on a nerve in your lower back. A doctor should be able to differentiate the two types of pain.

I haven't seen this issue at all but by 75 yo father broke his hip and it threw everything else off. He's really struggling with disc issues now.

Good luck
  • No it's not sciatica. I know all too well about back issues. No, it's clearly pain in the hip itself. Also, from what I understand AVN can show up as long as two years post break..so that's my concern that it's still aches and maybe because the bone is dying?? Or maybe because it's getting cold outside and I broke the biggest bone in my body?!?! :)

Just looking to hear from others about their post one year situation..does their hip still ache or not.
  • johndf
    Yes my hip still aches after 10 months and I still cannot go upstairs without a moderate degree of pain. I have recently had private physio and the exercises i have been given seem to be making it easier to go upstairs, so maybe I'll be pain free on that score soon. I also still have various aches all around my hip, more normally on the outside but sometimes in my hip itself or even in my thigh. By the way, I am 52.

On the subject of AVN, I was also told that it can come on up to 2 years after the accident, but if the X-rays are fine then I think you can be fairly sure that it isn't AVN. My physio said that a hip fracture repair is a major op and I should not expect a rapid return to fitness and particularly I should expect to get pain for a year or two.

I'm jealous of the amount of riding you are doing - I cant do more than about 25 miles without getting pains coming on. However I did have a stroke 2 years ago which affected me a bit and doesn't help!

Best of luck with the recovery

John
  • barryg
    barryg Posts: 3
    edited November 2009
    rseidel wrote:
    My question is this...should it still hurt at one year?
    Mine still hurts at 4 years. It varies widely from case to case.

(BTW, had my hardware removed at 5 months)
  • Splottboy
    Did mine Mothers day, '08. Was getting back to action, even up to 3 hr rides, then had 4 dog attack/chases in 10 months, Royal Mail free exercises!!
    Anyway, X Ray last month showed "normal wear/tear," but adductors now causing problems. Each dog attack/chase caused increased pain, instability, pain etc.

Getting back to riding after 4 months of turbo, Bosu/Swiss ball and wts/circuits.
    It's not as bad as before, but Dynamic Hip Screw lets you know it's there occasionally!

Bought some Fox Launch padded shorts with hip/bum pads, which seem to give me confidence. Physio exercises are helping - stretches/strength - and regular activity.

Aches in the morning, lessen in the day, and still has numbness where stitches were.
    So, I think it's the "Long Haul" for full recovery, just feel lucky compared to other less off...