broken hip recovery advice needed...............

Comments

• TimoH
    TimoH Posts: 120
    I had my 12-week check today after femoral neck fracture.
    The recovery has progressed really well. I'm able to walk almost normally. Today I got a permission to do pretty much everything, except for running. Weather allowing, tomorrow will be my first ride in this season. :D
  • LeonF
    LeonF Posts: 15
    Sounds good TimoH, how did the ride go, are you using any type of hip protection or just risking it? Had my 6 week check on Friday after intracapsular NOF fracture fixed with DHS in February, very cautious surgeon so staying on my crutches until June 1st for now. Having physio sessions every Monday in the gym at the hospital and did 5 minutes on the exercise bike with no weight this week, also doing my home exercises and leg strength is still good, I think. Told running will be out for me too, was going to treat myself to an ironman for my 50th birthday, 46 now.
  • StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    The last time I posted in this thread was around a year ago, so I've had some catching up to do to say the least.

For those who don't remember I'll give a quick recap of what happened.

I was 18 years old at the time (which the doctors said was a really young age for this kind of injury) when I suffered from a non-displaced femoral neck fracture in September 2010 and continued to walk on it whilst it was broken for 7 days before I manned up and went to the hospital. I was operated on the following day and had three cannulated screws inserted into the fractured bone.

Following the surgery I was on blood thinning injections once a day and on crutches for 6 weeks before they allowed me to go back to full weight bearing. I had around 4 follow up X-rays and all were according to plan with no signs of Avascular Necrosis. Almost three years on I've been discharged from hospital and I can do everything like I did before. My mountain biking is back to the level and intensity as I was before the break. Other tasks are also fine such as running and heavy lifting. I've even fell on the same hip and had no trouble.

Some tips and techniques what I found useful for those who are recovering was to massage Comfrey oil into the area about twice a day and I was also drinking warm water with large doses of cayenne pepper which encouraged deep circulation. Finally, I also took hot and cold baths which I believe also helped with circulation, along with any pain. A few drops of Comfrey oil in the bath was also awesome!

So to all of those who are recovering from whatever type of hip fracture it is. Endeavour to persevere! It's a long process and is daunting at the start but when you've recovered it will be almost like it never happened!

Cheers
  • LeonF
    Cheers StealTheR, Good advice, I'll give the Comfrey oil a try out. Encouraging about you avoiding AVN as I too faffed about for 8 days before seeking medical opinion, even tried to ride it off at one point but didn't go as far as attending my spinning class that week, whoops... I am a bit older than you so probably won't bounce back quite as well but very encouraging none the less. Cheers, these good news stories really help when you are sat at home day after day wondering if you'll ever get near back to normal. I've watched that many episodes of homes under the hammer I've convinced myself I could easily become a property magnate.
  • StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    LeonF, the doctors actually said that it could have worked in my favour by delaying the (eventual) surgery. They said something along the lines - if I remember rightly - that if the blood supply had have been interrupted with the fracutre, then those days where the fracture wasn't healing and blood wasn't reaching the joint. Then the surgery would, in theory, introduce the blood supply again to a deprived femoral head.

Whether this was the case, I don't know. The doctors just said it could indeed have been a possibility that helps with the healing process. My curiosity for this led me to the internet where I stumbled across some medical paper which also detailed similar situations where patients who had left surgery for a period of time, generally had better results and significantly lower chances of AVN.
  • TimoH
    LeonF wrote:
    Sounds good TimoH, how did the ride go, are you using any type of hip protection or just risking it? Had my 6 week check on Friday after intracapsular NOF fracture fixed with DHS in February, very cautious surgeon so staying on my crutches until June 1st for now. Having physio sessions every Monday in the gym at the hospital and did 5 minutes on the exercise bike with no weight this week, also doing my home exercises and leg strength is still good, I think. Told running will be out for me too, was going to treat myself to an ironman for my 50th birthday, 46 now.

The ride was OK, albeit short and slow :-) (20 km in one hour). I'm now wearing crash protection shorts to minimize risk of new injuries. To get the strength back to the hurt leg will take some time. What's funny is that my cadence has actually improved a bit. There's a silver lining in every cloud :-)

Riding the exercise bike probably helped my recovery quite a bit. I'm highly recommending it (but of course not overriding any doctor's advice). Just remember to be cautious. Unlike in sportives, pain will tell you, when to stop.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Well it's almost 4 weeks since my hip replacement and i must say it wasn't as bad i thought it would be. Immediately after the operation i was great, then the spinal wore off and the pain kicked in but in saying that not as painful as i was told. It was more uncomfortable than anything else, constant pain killers kept whatever pain i had at bay and bar not getting any sleep i was grand.

I get my 6 week review of the 28th May and hopefully i'll be off the crutches and starting back towards building up the strength in my left leg. Hope they'll give me a copy of the x ray and i'll get scanned up here, i had asked just after my op but they said because it's all digital now they can't give them out. Hoping my surgeon will sort me out at the review, i'll keep you updated.
  • Hi All,

I am a new poster to this thread and wish I found it a little earlier. I have also broken the hip/femur joint which was put back together with Titanium screws. I am 32 and the last thing I wanted was a full hip replacement.
    This happened on 1st April this year so about 5 weeks now.
    I was travelling at a 'fair ol lick' with a strong tail wind when a vehicle pulled out of a junction without properly looking. I had a split second to brake but when straight into him at full whack!!!
    Thankfully he has admitted to this and will be going to court and his insurance company except that he was at fault so every cloud and all that.....

I have been on crutches for five weeks so far with no weight allowed on the right leg. I have my first appointment to see the consultant on 28th May so will have had 8 weeks recovery up to that point.

At this stage, I have had no physio on my leg nor has this been offered by the NHS. Is it too early at this stage or should I be looking into this?? I have noticed some muscle wastage in my right thigh already although I have reasonable movement in the knee joint and a little in the hip.

Although I was told prior to surgery that there was a 40% chance that the blood vessels may not fuse together, I was under the impression that if it started to feel better and had movement it'd worked!!!
    Until reading this I had NO idea that AVN could take several years to show itself (I hadn't even heard of AVN) nor did I know that I would need god knows how many follow up x-rays to keep an eye on it.
    I have also since been advised that even if I make a full recovery from this, it is almost certain that I will need to have a hip replacement in the future as a result of this and in many cases as soon as 20 years :cry: Have any of you been informed of this from your surgeons??
    These are all things that are playing on my mind until I have some answers.
    Now I am a little more anxious than before but its good to hear that so many fellow cyclists have made good progress and recovery following this horrible injury.

I have read numerous posts that people have been able to get on the turbo trainer etc etc once they can put weight on the leg which I will certainly intend on doing however my REAL concern is when I will be able to actually RUN on the leg as I have to pass numerous fitness tests including a level 9.4 bleep test before I can do my job.
    Anyone have any experience with regards to running after this injury??

I will keep you all posted once I have seen my surgeon and will hopefully have good news. Until then I shall enjoy watching the Giro d' italia and keep myself busy choosing what to spend my upcoming compensation on!! Most likely a new top notch bike seen as my last one has been trashed :evil:

Thanks very much for this very useful thread,

Mick
  • TimoH
    Mick,

Welcome to the team :)
    I have been on crutches for five weeks so far with no weight allowed on the right leg. I have my first appointment to see the consultant on 28th May so will have had 8 weeks recovery up to that point.

At this stage, I have had no physio on my leg nor has this been offered by the NHS. Is it too early at this stage or should I be looking into this?? I have noticed some muscle wastage in my right thigh already although I have reasonable movement in the knee joint and a little in the hip.

At your age, the fractured bone may already have been healed almost completely, but it's not worth taking any chances. Therefore, just take it very easy until the first check! The muscles do vanish quite quickly, but they also come back at a reasonable pace once you can start exercising them. The first ride on a stationary bike will be memorable :) I was able to pedal 3 minutes at zero resistance...
    Although I was told prior to surgery that there was a 40% chance that the blood vessels may not fuse together, I was under the impression that if it started to feel better and had movement it'd worked!!!
    Until reading this I had NO idea that AVN could take several years to show itself (I hadn't even heard of AVN) nor did I know that I would need god knows how many follow up x-rays to keep an eye on it.

My doctor told me at the 3-month check that the probability of AVN is now at around 10%.
    I have also since been advised that even if I make a full recovery from this, it is almost certain that I will need to have a hip replacement in the future as a result of this and in many cases as soon as 20 years :cry: Have any of you been informed of this from your surgeons??

No.
    I have read numerous posts that people have been able to get on the turbo trainer etc etc once they can put weight on the leg which I will certainly intend on doing however my REAL concern is when I will be able to actually RUN on the leg as I have to pass numerous fitness tests including a level 9.4 bleep test before I can do my job.

I'm now at about 4 months of recovery and running is still out of question. The soft tissues, that apparently still have some healing to do, don't like the impacts of running. My guestimate is that running starts to be possible (and painless) for me in a month or two. So, it's going to be 6 months from the injury until a full recovery, and there's probably really nothing that would speed up the process. You can get your muscles back with the turbo trainer, but there seems to be some other tissues that just will take their time to heal.

Timo
  • simonfr
    simonfr Posts: 57
    Hi Mick,

Glad to have you here and sorry to hear your tale.

I was not told i would 'automatically' need a hip replacement in the future. But it does depend on how well it heals.
    It does cause a lot of anguish, but best not to dwell on it as there isnt much you can do about it. It is what it is and cross every bridge as it comes.
    For myself, i would recommend physio. I was worried about muscle wastage, possible conformation problems (limp), and best way to get the scar tissue moving asap, etc etc. I had to pay for that myself.

I myself even after the 2 years still cant run without pain, and dull pain for a couple of days afterward, but there is no reason why i cant (apparently).

Just keep at it.

In other news i have had a settlement figure - offer - from the drivers insurance company today. And to say its derisory would be a massive understatement.......
  • Thanks to both of you for your replies. Im glad to hear that neither of you have been advised that a full hip replacement would likely be required in the future. I guess time will tell once I've seen the surgeon and had a few follow up x-rays.
    I dont know what ill do about work really. I do get six months sick pay and im sure they can find me a desk job but I couldnt stand doing that for too long.
    In my case the drivers insurance company except that he was responsible and my solicitor is arranging private health care so im hoping I'll get plenty of physio. I can also go to a health care center through my job for extra treatment so I just hope ill be back on my feet again soon. Im hoping that on the 28th the consultant will advise me to start extensive physio or something.
    Thanks again guys.
  • In other news i have had a settlement figure - offer - from the drivers insurance company today. And to say its derisory would be a massive understatement.......[/quote]

Is that the first offer of settlement so far? I assume they will always take the pee with the first few offers and your solicitor then argues the figure.
    Two years after the accident seems a long time to wait but I guess thats probably normal.
  • simonfr
    That was the first offer.
    The lawyer has given me the range i would expect to see for this injury. Its doesnt seem like much for 3 days in hospital, weeks and weeks on crutches, surgery, worry, etc, etc
    Guy who hit me denied hitting me. The giveaway was the huge dent in his bonnet and wrecked front bumper which he couldnt quite explain....

My surgeon said that if AVN was going to manifest itself, in his opinion, it would do so in the first 2 years. Therefore before setling any claim i was advised by my lawyer to wait for the 2 years at least. That way any other issues to claim for would be apparent and added to the total claim.
  • Yeah that makes sense I suppose. Fingers crossed for you that they make you a realistic offer to cover the pain, treatment, change of lifestyle etc etc...
    Did the driver go to court in the end?

I had 6 days in hospital, and the biggest factor for me will be that I cannot return to my normal job for many months and by the sound of some peoples recovery, I may not return at all if I cant run on it and carry extra weight and stuff.

Thats my biggest fear but im going to try and stay optimistic. I have been told by my solicitor that I am looking at a 'substantial payout' but in these early stages, have no idea what that means.

Mick
  • simonfr
    He didnt go to court as no-one actually saw him hitting me and he denied it. The police charged him but the Prosecution Service didnt take it further. So no conviction.
    The insurance company are playing ball as he didnt tell them about 3 previous accidents he'd had before on his insurance application, so they know he would get slaughtered in court for having 'history'.

You will be worrying and worrying about the future, but there's no point - take it as it comes and get good advice on mobilising quickly and safely from surgeon, physio etc.
    You should be in quite a good position in 6 months all going well. I was out riding the bike and doing long distances by 6 months after my accident. There are similar stories on this thread about people getting back to normal with time.
    Using Google you only ever hear/read the horror stories on the net about what went wrong, not what went right!

I can carry heavy weights, cycle, etc without pain. As long as i dont subject it to 'jarring' like with running. But as said, there is no obvious medical reason why i cant. Maybe i should just get on with it and train my body to adapt to running.
  • Thanks for the encouragement mate. Its much needed and appreciated.

Mick
  • simonfr
    For everyones info, below is a copy of the medically techy bit out of my surgeons report for information.
    I do not know, or have seen the original reference material which he used. There could be mistakes ive missed as i had to do jiggery pokery with the pdf file using OCR!

A femoral neck fracture in an adult under the age of 50 is extremely rare as these patients have dense bone and therefore considerable violence is required to break it. When one considers the two commonest complications which occur following such injuries, that being avascular necrosis and non-union. When one analyses the published data in this age group 44% of patients develop avascular necrosis and 26% of patients develop a non-union. It should also be noted that the accuracy of reduction of such fractures is also important. A small study has shown that when the final reduction was good, there was usually union without leg segmental collapse whereas when there was mal-reduction patients suffered leg segmental collapse. Other studies have shown that many patients complain of pain after their hip fractures have healed. Occasionally metal implants require to be removed.

When one considers the timing of avascular necrosis in the majority of cases this is normally evidenced in 18 months. However it should also be noted that there are rare occasions where avascular necrosis can occur up to 4 years following an accident.

There is very little evidence in this age group considering the outcome of total hip replacements done as a salvage procedure following failure of initial treatment of femoral neck fractures, therefore one has to therefore consider all ages. When one considers the group that goes on to develop leg segmental collapse due to avascular necrosis only one third to one half of these patients have symptoms of sufficient severity to merit further surgery. However the young and more active group of patients requires further surgery more frequently. Total hip replacement is the most common re-operation performed. Large consecutive series of displaced hip fractures treated by initial reduction and internal fixation 18% subsequently go on to have a secondary total hip replacement because of failure of primary treatment, Other studies have suggested the overall estimated re-operation rate for failure of internal fixation requiring conversion to total hip replacement is approximately 24%. When one considers the early clinical results following conversion of failed internal fixation to total hip replacement, 88% of patients have good or excellent results when one considers pain and 79% of patients have good or excellent results when one considers mobility. When one considers the complications of conversion operations to total hip replacements after failed internal fixation, there is a 4.5% rate of dislocation, a 4.3% risk of infection, and an 8.8% risk of loosening.

To summarise, when one considers the literature in his age group, there is a 44% risk of developing avascular necrosis and as I have alluded to previously, of this group one third to one half develop symptoms of sufficient severity to merit further surgery.

Thats it, short and sweet. I'd doesn't discriminate between fit and unfit, weight etc. but he did alude to my fitness and the positive outlook I showed to be contributing factors.....

And the only person i know to have a failed broken hip fixation was Floyd Landis.....
  • LeonF
    Hi All,

I am a new poster to this thread and wish I found it a little earlier. I have also broken the hip/femur joint which was put back together with Titanium screws. I am 32 and the last thing I wanted was a full hip replacement.
    This happened on 1st April this year so about 5 weeks now.
    I was travelling at a 'fair ol lick' with a strong tail wind when a vehicle pulled out of a junction without properly looking. I had a split second to brake but when straight into him at full whack!!!
    Thankfully he has admitted to this and will be going to court and his insurance company except that he was at fault so every cloud and all that.....

These are all things that are playing on my mind until I have some answers.
    Now I am a little more anxious than before but its good to hear that so many fellow cyclists have made good progress and recovery following this horrible injury.

I will keep you all posted once I have seen my surgeon and will hopefully have good news. Until then I shall enjoy watching the Giro d' italia and keep myself busy choosing what to spend my upcoming compensation on!! Most likely a new top notch bike seen as my last one has been trashed :evil:

Thanks very much for this very useful thread,

Mick

Hi Mick sorry to hear of your accident. I have been posting for a while and have my 3 month consultation on 31st May following a dhs to fix hip fracture in February, I have been non to partial 20/30lbs weight bearing over the last 3 months. Just thought I'd briefly summarise my experiences so far for you on some of your concerns if it helps.
    AVN seems to have no hard and fast rules, at my 3 week consultation I was scheduled in for 8 weekly x-rays for 2 years then discharge assumed OK. At my 6 week consultation (3rd different consultant) 6 monthly x-rays were planned in for 10 years so god only knows. All I can say is assume you are OK and try and get on with it. Whatever you will need to get back to a good level of fitness if they have to intervene at a later date.
    Physio, I have been having physio at the hospital gym every week since week 6, although it is just basically my normal flexibility exercises I am allowed on the exercise bike for 5 minutes each visit for morale. Once I can weight bear I will move onto a full gym based programme at the hospital. Best bit is having teh same physio as it maintains some consistency throughout the recovery, and shes a good listener..
    I was also told I would need a replacement within the next ten years, unsure why as teh dhs will stay in and hopefully if I don't abuse it should be okay, for me a replacement should only be necessary if AVN crops up or I develop some osteoporosis or suchlike.
    I have been told not to run at all, ever other than the odd light jog on a soft surface. Again not sure why as surely once the bone is mended I would have thought it was OK.
    I reckon if you had a good base fitness before the accident you will be surprised how quick the strength returns. I have been doing one legged squats pull ups, free weights etc. just to keep things moving while I watch homes under the hammer...!
    I do have a few weird niggles which I'm assured are normal, even after 10 weeks the weight of the quilt on the foot on my bad leg is still uncomfortable meaning I find it difficult to get comfy in bed unless propping the quilt up.
    I still have a bit of groin pain which although can be a sign of AVN have been told is normal for the first couple of years.
    My scar is lumpy and I've been told to firmly massage E45 into it to disperse the hard tissue. I also massage in Knit bone and take calcium tablets.
    Pain tends to move around a bit often down to the knee and/or calf and ankle on the bad leg. I have probably done a bit too much on my crutches during recovery and my good hip is sore now.
    Good news is most people seem to find cycling easier than walking after this injury so hopefully back in the saddle soon.
    Keep positive and follow the specialists advice. As you say we are not alone there are lots of people like you and me sat on our bums around the country hoping our recoveries go well. Maybe we should organise a broken hip sportive!!
    Apologies for rambling on.
    Best wishes and good luck,
    Leon
  • Hi Mick sorry to hear of your accident. I have been posting for a while and have my 3 month consultation on 31st May following a dhs to fix hip fracture in February, I have been non to partial 20/30lbs weight bearing over the last 3 months. Just thought I'd briefly summarise my experiences so far for you on some of your concerns if it helps.
    AVN seems to have no hard and fast rules, at my 3 week consultation I was scheduled in for 8 weekly x-rays for 2 years then discharge assumed OK. At my 6 week consultation (3rd different consultant) 6 monthly x-rays were planned in for 10 years so god only knows. All I can say is assume you are OK and try and get on with it. Whatever you will need to get back to a good level of fitness if they have to intervene at a later date.
    Physio, I have been having physio at the hospital gym every week since week 6, although it is just basically my normal flexibility exercises I am allowed on the exercise bike for 5 minutes each visit for morale. Once I can weight bear I will move onto a full gym based programme at the hospital. Best bit is having teh same physio as it maintains some consistency throughout the recovery, and shes a good listener..
    I was also told I would need a replacement within the next ten years, unsure why as teh dhs will stay in and hopefully if I don't abuse it should be okay, for me a replacement should only be necessary if AVN crops up or I develop some osteoporosis or suchlike.
    I have been told not to run at all, ever other than the odd light jog on a soft surface. Again not sure why as surely once the bone is mended I would have thought it was OK.
    I reckon if you had a good base fitness before the accident you will be surprised how quick the strength returns. I have been doing one legged squats pull ups, free weights etc. just to keep things moving while I watch homes under the hammer...!
    I do have a few weird niggles which I'm assured are normal, even after 10 weeks the weight of the quilt on the foot on my bad leg is still uncomfortable meaning I find it difficult to get comfy in bed unless propping the quilt up.
    I still have a bit of groin pain which although can be a sign of AVN have been told is normal for the first couple of years.
    My scar is lumpy and I've been told to firmly massage E45 into it to disperse the hard tissue. I also massage in Knit bone and take calcium tablets.
    Pain tends to move around a bit often down to the knee and/or calf and ankle on the bad leg. I have probably done a bit too much on my crutches during recovery and my good hip is sore now.
    Good news is most people seem to find cycling easier than walking after this injury so hopefully back in the saddle soon.
    Keep positive and follow the specialists advice. As you say we are not alone there are lots of people like you and me sat on our bums around the country hoping our recoveries go well. Maybe we should organise a broken hip sportive!!
    Apologies for rambling on.
    Best wishes and good luck,
    Leon

Thanks for the info Leon. When I see my consultant in the next few weeks Im hoping I'll get the same advice as you regarding putting a bit of weight on the leg etc etc....
    I have had a private company take over (at the expense of the drivers insurance company) the care of physio and any other matters that will assist in my recovery and they will put a plan in place to get me on the mend. They are just waiting on the 'go ahead' from the surgeon so I have my fingers crossed on that one. Physio Therapist measured my thigh muscle the other day at week six and its already lost about an inch and a half in size so I am desperate to get started on this.

Just a question in relation to your first consultation. Did you have an X-ray prior to this so that the doctor can see how it's heeling?? I have not been contacted by the hospital as yet and don't want to turn up on the 28th only to be told that I should have had an X-ray, causing further delays!!!
    I'm no doctor but would have thought this was necessary to determin further treatment/recovery.

I guess, like the rest of you, I will just have to wait and see about AVN and forget about it as much as possible for the time being.
    One big concern for me though is your comment about being advised NOT to run on it any more. If I get told that, I'll be looking for a new career which I really hope isn't the case :cry:

I like your idea of a broken hip sportive......that'd be a right laugh!!!

I shall stick an update on here once I have seen the consultant on the 28th and thanks again for the info. At least I am clearer on what questions I should be asking when I see him.

Mick
  • LeonF
    Hi Mick, I have an x-ray scheduled for each time I see the consultant. Have that first then normally straight in and he has them on the screen in front of him ready for discussion. The running thing is bothering me a bit so I'm going to look at clarification on that when I go. Basically they have told me up to now that any impact activity, including running, on a Dynamic Hip Screw is a no-no. Advice can be variable at best though as I never seem to see the same consultant twice and they nearly always end up ringing the surgeon on his mobile during the consultation for clarification on stuff! Glad to hear you are getting support with the physio as I reckon this is the key to getting back to normal. Although I will be using the NHS physio as much as possible as soon as I'm weight bearing I will be looking into attending a sports physio specific to my goals as well. Job is a worry for me too after 25 years driving a desk! I came out of work just before xmas and fell back on my tools as a self employed fabricator/engineer at the ripe old age of 46 all about a month before the accident. I am considering going back to the desk as it's pretty physical work, have avoided the discussion so far with the consultants but suppose will just have to see how it goes. Good luck and I look forward to hearing your progress. Leon
  • simonfr
    I too was given an xray every time i saw my consultant, but got the same guy every time, the consultant who operated.
    I was never told not to run, and when asked for my insurance report i repeatedly questioned it. He said it shouldnt hurt, no medical reason he could see that it should be hurting and didnt say not to run.

I had a quick look online, and i believe there are runners on running forums with Hip Screws and Cannulated Screws running well and doing long distances. So dont give up hope!!

Runners on a triathlon forum...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Recovery_after_a_Broken_Hip_P2054769/
  • loaded1975
    loaded1975 Posts: 1
    I fractured my hip 6 weeks (April 2013) ago hitting a rain filled pothole, I had the op the very next morning and had 3 cannulated screws fitted. i had x-rays today and I'm healing really well, the doc seems to think within a year I will be 99% recoverd to how I was before. As i'm only 37 I have a great chance of acheiving that.

I can't wait to get back on my road bike but I've been advised to stick to a bike in the gym for at least another 3 months to really heal the bone, plus swimming has been highly recommended too.I've also been looking at hip protection such as armor, you can get impact absorbant protection try looking at getgeared.com is really and ultimatebikegear.co.uk. has anyone else purchaed any such protection??
  • loaded1975 wrote:
    I fractured my hip 6 weeks (April 2013) ago hitting a rain filled pothole, I had the op the very next morning and had 3 cannulated screws fitted. i had x-rays today and I'm healing really well, the doc seems to think within a year I will be 99% recoverd to how I was before. As i'm only 37 I have a great chance of acheiving that.

I can't wait to get back on my road bike but I've been advised to stick to a bike in the gym for at least another 3 months to really heal the bone, plus swimming has been highly recommended too.I've also been looking at hip protection such as armor, you can get impact absorbant protection try looking at getgeared.com is really and ultimatebikegear.co.uk. has anyone else purchaed any such protection??

Thats good to hear. Glad you're making a good recovery. I done mine about the same time as you and im 32. I have my first appointment next week so hopefully get the same advice.
    Are you still on 2 crutches or down to 1? Im guessing you can put some weight on it now?

Mick
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    I'm in for my 6 week appointment next week, i had a total replacement though. I can get around on one, i've been round the house without any and i've noticed a vast improvement in my range of movement from before the op.
  • Hi All,

Just an update on how my first appointment with the Consultant went at the week 8 point....
    Had an xray and was also shown the broken xray and post Op xrays too. Its still in the correct position held by the 3 canulated screws and heeling nicely.
    I was also told that when the hip was broken, somehow it was also dislocated and the round ball from the joint was in the socket upside down so that needed turning round during the surgery.

I was disappointed a bit as I was hoping to be going on to one crutch after 8 weeks but he wants to keep me on 2 crutches for another four weeks and then go to one crutch for a further two months . I am allowed to put the weight of my foot onto the ground and was advised that over the next 4 weeks I could gently increase the weight on the bad leg. I was also advised that I shouldn't drive until I can put a good amount of weight onto the leg :roll:

The consultant as good as rushed me out of the door which was quite annoying as I had a few questions that I wanted to ask to put my mind at rest. He did say that people that have had this injury can go on to make a full recovery providing they don't suffer with any of the side affects such as AVN. I still have no idea when I am likely to run on it but seen as I am on crutches for best part of SIX months, I doubt it will be anytime before the next 12 months.

When I prompted him about physio he said.... "oh, I suppose I could refer you, but you should concentrate on the exercises you were given to do at home". As I'm sure you all know, this consists of straightening your leg out and raising it to the side!!! This may help an 80 year old lady to recover from hip surgery, but will not help a 32 year old wanting to get back to a good level of fitness.
    I have lost over 1.5 inches in my thigh muscles doing these exercises alone and will be pushing for more from a private physiopherapist.

I will be having follow up appointments / xrays every 4-6 months for another 18 months or so although the next appointment is in 3 months time to check how its going.

Mick
  • LeonF
    Hi Mick, sounds like a bit of a mixed bag mate. Sorry to hear the apathy towards physio just goes to show the inconsistencies across the NHS, my consultant was very keen to start physio from 6 weeks which although not weight bearing has introduced some extra exercises for me to mix things up a bit and got me working with a good physotherapist who knows my goals ready fro when the serious work starts.

I know the home exercises are boring and seem pointless but you will stiffen up dramatically if you don't keep it moving. I have pinched the mother outlaws high seat chair which is robust enough to use as a decent piece of gym equipment. I can do seated push ups, one legged squats, press ups and free weight sessions without missing a minute of bargain hunt!!

12 weeks on 2 crutches seems the norm, my twelve weeks is up this Friday when I see the consultant again who will hopefully give the green light to full weight bear and start full gym based physio at the hospital, and drive!. I have been told to keep the crutches though as there will be times in the recovery process when I could need them.

Keep your chin up.

Best wishes, Leon
  • Thanks Leon, I guess I was kidding myself into thinking this would be over sooner rather than later. The idea of exercising other areas is good and I'll give that a bash to keep me possitive and pass the time although I shall give bargain hunt a miss lol
    Good luck with your appointment for Friday, hope it all works out for you and you can start getting back to normal. Keep us all updated,

Mick
  • LeonF
    Well, just got back from my 3 month meeting with the consultant. He's still not 100% happy so wants me staying on the 2 crutches for another 6 weeks. Also booked me in for a CT scan in July to have a good look for AVN, they told me they want to give the bone the best chance of recovering as a hip replacement is the last resort for all concerned so guess I've just got to trust them really. I had mentioned that I'd been gettting varying degrees of groin strain over the last few weeks so that may have influenced their decision. Still finding it hard to hide my disappointment though, bikes were oiled up and ready to go!!!
  • drummer
    drummer Posts: 246
    I may as well chip in........

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12920065

I'm currently at 5 weeks post accident!
    chris
  • simonfr
    edited June 2013
    Sorry to hear that Leon. I was disappointed for you when i read it. Hope all goes well.

Welcome to the 'club' Drummer. Sounds like you have a good set up with your physio to get you back on your cranks.