broken hip recovery advice needed...............

Comments

• StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    congrats on your recovery greencurly.

interesting read about lower bone density.

i'm now coming up to my 8 month follow-up appointment and x-ray hoping all is going to look good there.

i still have no pain just trying to build muscles up. i can manage any distance on my mountain bike aswell now including steep off road climbs. so all seems well.

will keep you updated after my x-ray.

good luck guys!
  • jayen
    jayen Posts: 2
    Hi guys. New member here. Probably joining for the wrong reasons (although i do quite like to get out on my mountainbike) but i couldn't find another forum discussing this injury.

I fractured my neck of right femur aprox. 6.5 months ago. i also had some displaced fracture (i believe that was the description) in my right wrist. i was on two wheels when it happened, but my two were powered by a motor. same old story though, someone didn't check mirrors/didn't look at all/didn't see me and made a manoeuvre, blocked my path, went in to the side of them at somewhere between 20 and 30 on a roundabout and ended up taking a trip in an ambulance

I'm 27 years old and had a simple cast put on my wrist injury, and a DHS in my hip. the op was done around 2-3 hours after the accident. i have 3 pins holding the plate to the femur, with the large screw plus a smaller screw that goes up the neck of the femur toward to head of the femur to hold the bone while it heals. I spent 3 months unable to use my right leg at all under doctors orders, which then followed with physio and assisted walking with crutches. aprox. 1 month after i started physio my therapist wanted to try some resistance and strength exercises to test my bad leg in comparison with the good. 2 days later i was back in A+E with pain comparable to the day of the accident. i was given a ibuprofen based pain relief injection which sorted me out for about 8 hours, so they figured it was muscle damage or muscle spasm. i spent another week back on crutches and completely off my bad leg while the pain subsided (it needed 3 days but i continued to rest it and not aggrivate it for another 4 days) then went back to my light routine of stretches and movements. for the last month i have been doing light exercise bike and treadmill sessions as well as more movement and stretching exercises. my trainer at the gym has advised i do another month of this before we work on better walking exercises and some resistance work, so it's a little disheartening to read this thread and hear of people out cycling in less than half a year.

my main problems at the moment are my limp, bringing my foot up while seated (for putting socks/shoes on etc), bending my knee and then rotating my leg outwards, and also stretching my leg out behind me (most noticeable in my strides when walking). all of which are apparently common. my advice would be to ask about these and how to counter them immediately after your op, or when you go back for your first checkup. i was given 2 exercises to do during those first three month... push my knee into my bed (thus tensing my thigh), and tensing my buttocks. if you are in the early stages of recovering from this injury i would definitely ask about the above problems i am having, because this has been caused by the lack of movement i have been able to do (and been given to do) during the first 3 months and everything has contracted around the fracture and it is taking me a long time to get it back.

just thought i would add my story and 2 pence to this thread as it is great information for others who like my self found it while searching for more info on the injury. this is an excellent thread and it is good to read about other peoples recoveries and advice.
  • jayen; I'm sure that as you have youth on your side that you will now progress very quickly. I assume that the initial lengthy immobility was due to the risk of AVN.
    As for the bending whilst on one leg for putting on trousers, that is still the one thing that makes me aware of my injury in day to day life. When you are feeling stronger there are exercises that will help that a lot.
    It's a big thing to get over, but you will, it is just a matter of time and perseverance.
    Good luck.
  • jayen
    jayen Posts: 2
    Hi greecurly. Yes, AVN was the primary concern for the first 3 months. They told me that despite the DHS being used, they still wanted to give the fracture 3 months to heal to reduce the risk as much as possible. Hopefully progress will begin to pick up quickly. I was in relatively good shape at the time of the accident, fairly active, so hopefully that will help. I half think that my recovery is taking longer than it should, but I know that no 2 injuries and surgeries are identical and everyone's recovery time will differ. I just wish I had done some stretching and movement exercises during those first 3 months as I am paying the price for it now. I have noticed my walking range increase, as well as how long I can spend on the treadmill and exercise bike, but stamina is still very low and the movement restrictions are frustrating, especially bending my leg back. I've pretty much locked my leg and pelvis, so if my leg moves back the pelvis has to rock top forward to allow it, so it looks like I'm sticking my chest and backside out. I also have this problem just trying to stand upright on both legs. If I take the weight of my bad leg then I can straighten up properly.

With regards to the knee pain that some people have described, I asked about this and it is apparently common, it is caused by the surgery and the muscles they cut through which attach behind the knee cap. For whatever reason this is where the pain is felt. I also get light tingling in my foot, it feels like I am wearing those horrible hospital slippers and goes round my foot beneath my ankle, across my toes, and the underneath of my foot. This seems to be permanent for me and varies in intensity. Never uncomfortable or like pins and needles, just a light tingling sensation. Another pain I get is actually just above my right ankle when I lay on my right side. I can feel the pressure on the scar tissue and the lack of natural padding due to muscle wastage, obviously, but the pain also shoots down my leg and can get quite intense just above my foot. I wonder if any of you guys have or had these pains and tingling?
  • simonfr
    simonfr Posts: 57
    Sorry to hear about your accident Jayen, hope all goes well.

Although I'm a newbie to all this, at 6 weeks post op, I seem to have most of my mobility back, when compared to my left leg.
    I have swelling at my knee, quite markedly so, which is either from when it hit the ground or the fact I'm not using the leg properly. I suspect the latter.
    The muscle on the outside of my right knee is sore, but I don't have any numbness/tingling or out of the ordinary pains.
    Sounds like maybe the sciatic nerve has been trapped or similar?
  • simonfr
    Update.......
    Been to the hospital today for my xray and checkup.

Its seven and a half weeks from my operation.
    My fracture is virtually undetectable on the xray (to my untrained eye), and it has met from both sides to form new bone. It looks just like the unbroken left side to me.
    My consultant is very pleased with the result.
    I have been cleared for full weight bearing, but to transition to non assisted full weight bearing over the next 2 weeks.

No indication of AVN on this xray. As as the bone has formed from both sides, its a small positive sign that blood flow to the head is still present.

I saw the xray of the break for the first time today. It wasnt pretty, and it was a fully displaced fracture, and the femoral head had rotated internally in the socket too.

One screw placed to stop the ball rotating, one dynamic hip screw and 2 screws in the femur. I should have got copies of my xrays :-/

Going back in 6 weeks, where the doctor guaranteed i'll still have a limp, He also guaranteed the transition would be painful in the hip area :-( but i'm cleared to drive, cycle, turbo train, swim etc, but no contact/impact sports allowed.

So far so good......
  • simonfr
    Sounds like things are going really well.
    I contacted my hospital and requested copies of all x-rays and under data protection rights they were provided, for a charge of course :(
  • simonfr
    Thanks Greencurly.

Ive amazed myself TBH. The internet is a good and a bad thing, and all the bad things have been running through my mind up to this day.......
    I think the long haul is the soft tissue injuries from now on and see how the DHS takes to exercise :?
  • simonfr
    Yes soft tissue is what takes the time, just keep pushing the envelope a little at a time. Resistance bands are your friend in the early stages.
  • Plymtim
    Plymtim Posts: 4
    Just wanted to say, i broke my hip in2005 at the age of 45, everything was all doom and gloom for me, i spent almost 6 months on crutches (two then just one) a very depressing time, physio was fantastic and keeped my spirits up.... anyway to keep it short i was back on a bike as soon as i came off crutches just very gentle short rides, it was probably a year before i could do the rides i was doing before my break. Now 6 years on probably doing more riding than before, it's not totally pain free and the muscles in that leg are definitly weeker than the other but the main thing is i'm still cycling.
    Oh and the thing i dread most...... falling off on my bad side happened last year..... not had any problem with hip to date.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    just a tip from my own experience try to use your leg as normally as you can i.e. make the effort to roll your foot to try and make all your leg muscles work- even if you have to do it really slow to start with. if you lose your leg muscles they really take forever to get them back. good luck
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    mattshrops wrote:
    just a tip from my own experience try to use your leg as normally as you can i.e. make the effort to roll your foot to try and make all your leg muscles work- even if you have to do it really slow to start with. if you lose your leg muscles they really take forever to get them back. good luck

+1

This also works for me, there are certain points in my walking motion where I get pain. If you react to that pain by rushing through those points it results in a very noticeable limp however by concentrating and walking as normal as possible - not rushing the hurty bits, my gait has improved tremendously.

It's weird where my 4 points of pains are, the lower quad, lower glute, foot and not so surprisingly around my hip. It's also a type of pain I've never had before in the hip area, a deep hard to describe pain...
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Since my break my hip has turned into a barometer!

It really hurts in bed the night before rain.
  • guinea
    My hip isn't as useful as your barometer, mine is just a temperature guage, the only disadvantage I have found with a full length gamma nail implant is that it causes sensitivity in cold weather for me.
  • StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    hey all.

had my 8 month post-op x ray today.

doc said everything is looking great at this stage. been told i can do some gentle running and heavy lifting now.

next x ray is in 6 months time and hopefully that will be the final one :D

good luck guys!
  • simonfr
    Great to hear the good news StealTheR

My hip has not developed any meteorological powers yet, it's generally sore come rain or shine just now.

I have 'dumped' the crutches and walking unaided, but have a limp. As Marko1962 says, I got the walking 'training' last night..... Heel strike first, roll foot, don't rotate pelvis, take equidistant steps, etc......

Still hurts :(
  • simonfr
    Can i ask you guys what you did for turbo training when you started your rehabilitation?
    Durations, intensity, frequency (days), etc

Cheers!!

Simon
  • simonfr wrote:
    Can i ask you guys what you did for turbo training when you started your rehabilitation?
    Durations, intensity, frequency (days), etc

Cheers!!

Simon
    I gingerly climbed on the turbo a week post op, just managed to turn the pedals a few times, 2 mins the next day and then half hour the next. Gentle spinning for a few weeks until I felt some strength returning, then as soon as I could clip in the bad leg I had it fixed and a trainer on the good leg so that the bad leg couldn't hide. At this point I reduced the revs and started to slowly ramp up the power and rebuild the lost strength.
    It takes a while but I am at 95%+ power compared to the end of last season and 6 months post op.
  • dragon66
    dragon66 Posts: 18
    Simonfr

I similarly to greencurly gingerly climbed on a spinning bike 2-3 weeks post op. I started by working 10 minute sessions 3 times a day. Each day I made sure there was a slight increase in resistance and time until I was doing 40-60 minute sessions once a day. I think at first it's wise to do shorter sessions 2-3 times daily, then increase session times. I maintained 80 +RPM's throughout.

After 6 weeks ventured out on bike but had to go clipless on my MTB to work and back. Scary, but been clipless I think helped me learn to transfer the power using my weak leg also. Then it was onto the road bike with clipless pedal at it's loosest setting. I used SPD's first and then back onto road clipless pedals. This was due to me having a weakness twisting out of the clips.

Having built up my strength in gym and flexibility I now after 12 weeks am riding as much as I was last spring with 90-95% power and am well on course for hopefully not just completing LaMarmotte in July but achieving Gold standard once more. Fingers crossed.

Good luck to everyone here in your recovery. The hard work we put into our recovery really does pay off.
  • dragon66 wrote:
    Simonfr

I similarly to greencurly gingerly climbed on a spinning bike 2-3 weeks post op. I started by working 10 minute sessions 3 times a day. Each day I made sure there was a slight increase in resistance and time until I was doing 40-60 minute sessions once a day. I think at first it's wise to do shorter sessions 2-3 times daily, then increase session times. I maintained 80 +RPM's throughout.

After 6 weeks ventured out on bike but had to go clipless on my MTB to work and back. Scary, but been clipless I think helped me learn to transfer the power using my weak leg also. Then it was onto the road bike with clipless pedal at it's loosest setting. I used SPD's first and then back onto road clipless pedals. This was due to me having a weakness twisting out of the clips.

Having built up my strength in gym and flexibility I now after 12 weeks am riding as much as I was last spring with 90-95% power and am well on course for hopefully not just completing LaMarmotte in July but achieving Gold standard once more. Fingers crossed.

Good luck to everyone here in your recovery. The hard work we put into our recovery really does pay off.
    Impressive work dragon66, you deserve that gold
    Chapeau.
  • simonfr
    Gragon66, Greencurly, sounds like you guys are doing really well. Well done :):)

Thats me at 12 weeks post op today. Been turbo training from week 8 doing 30 minute stints - alternate days - on steady cadence on light then moving to medium resistance then back to light resistance
    Also been out on the bike once a week doing hill work (500m hill) on tarmac roads, only about 5-10 miles.
    This week i started doing interval training on the turbo, and tomorrow im going to test myself for longevity over about 25-30 miles on the mountain bike. Nothing too technical though. See how the leg feels afterward and the next day.......
    I find the clipless pedals great for keeping my feet in the correct position though :D

No pain in the joint, but still a lot of discomfort in the muscles at top of hamstrings/quads and on the outer portion on the top of my scar :(:(
    The DHS doesnt give me aggravation whilst cycling. Only still when sitting down :(
  • simonfr
    Had my 13 week checkup yesterday. Consultant said it all looks well from the xray.

Doesn't want to see me for 6 months now, that will take me to November.
  • Scottmike
    Scottmike Posts: 7
    Hey all...

Had the 6 month checkup....the bone is healed up and no sign of AVN so I got the green light to start training again. The doctor said I can go about my normal routine except for any type of contact sport. Last week I went on a 30-mile ride and getting my strength back very quickly. I don't have quite the power I used to on hills but I figure that in another month I should be 100%. Also, still working on flexibility exercises.

Thanks again everyone for writing about your recoveries and successes from the hip fractures. It's nice to have some encouragement from those who are in the same boat, unfortunately.
  • Nuka
    Nuka Posts: 6
    Hi
    I discovered this forum as I was searching for information on the removal of DHS. I am not a cyclist although do enjoy spinning classes!
    I fractured the neck of my right femur about 3 years ago - a stress fracture through running (although not doing massive miles in a week). However the whole neck was fractured right through and it was recommended that I had surgery with a Dynamic hip screw. I was shocked at the level of muscle wasting that occurred and I walked with a crutch for 14 weeks (much longer than I was told). It took about 9 months for my muscles to get back to "normal" - however there is still a difference between my legs for some activities eg hopping on one leg, especially over low hurdles.
    A bone density scan showed I had early osteopenia and then it was discovered I had coeliac disease. So now I am on a gluten-free diet and calcium supplements.
    I am back to running and have done yearly half marathons in summer. Not enjoying the running as much as I used to to spinning more. My right leg constantly feels different and I am always aware of it, I limp infrequently, I get more pains in my leg in winter and I get this odd pain (which I think is from the pins) every now and then, not really related to exercise. I have a lot of covering over my bone so I don't really feel the pins!

I was told that the pin doesn't need to come out unless there are problems. So I was interested to hear that some people were told that their metalwork should come out. It looks like there is a difference of opinion in the medical world! I am concerned about recovery after surgery and risk of re-fracture if the pins are removed.

There is far more information about DHS and hip fractures in the elderly, very little about the less elderly (I'm 47).

Are people planning to get their pins removed?
  • bookwormhk
    bookwormhk Posts: 33
    edited October 2011
    Nuka: I am just over one year post operation. I also plan to remove my intramedullary nail. I was told that it is pretty straight forward with minimal risk and recovery should be fast and uncomplicated. Like to hear others' experience too.
  • Nuka
    bookwormhk: Thanks for your reply. Were you operated on the NHS? Were you told that you should get the device removed? If it was recommended that the device should be removed did they give you a reason why? I was told that it doesn't need to come out unless it causes a problem. However I don't like the idea of having metal in my body for the rest of my life that I don't need any more. I suspect from cost point of view NHS doctors might be more inclined to recommend leaving these devices in! I also suspect that there is a difference of opinion among orthopaedic surgeons about the necessity of this operation.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 39
    I remove metalwork if it is causing problems, or if the patient is at significant risk of further significant injury and fracture eg professional Jockeys, motorcycle racers etc.
    Removal is not always straightforward, and certainly not without risk.
    This goes for NHS and private patients.
  • bookwormhk
    edited October 2011
    Fingerbobs: thanks for your advice.

Nuka: I have checked with a few orthopaedic surgeons. General advice is that if there are no problems, leave the nail in. However, the younger you are and the more active you are physically, the more likely of nail removal. Whenever I sleep on my bad leg, I can feel the metalware which is disturbing.

I am also concerned that another accident (I still cycle rigorously) might bend the IM nail (which then might be more difficult to take out) or crash my hip really bad again. One of the surgeons said his patient with an IM nail got another serious accident, where the strength of the nail preserved the bone along it, but both ends were smashed badly (where they were not shielded) and limb amputation was required. That could be a rare case, but it was enough to scare the hell out of me.

I have scheduled nail removal - fingers crossed. I was told I need to be hospitalized for a few days max after which I can do normal exercises but need to be careful over the next three months not to do anything that would have a major impact on bones post nail removal.

The other thing you might consider, is stress shielding effect which might weaken your bone tissue, especially on the side where the nail is attached.
  • Nuka
    Thanks fingerbobs and bookwormhk for your replies.

Fingerbobs - are you able to say what the risks are of removal? The fact that they are removed in people at risk of further injury or fracture (even if the metalwork is not causing any problems) suggests that there is a problem of it remaining - possibly the problem described by bookwormhk

My concern is that I was not told of any long term risk (even though its rare) of the metalwork remaining. I realise that doctors can't tell you everything but Its a pity there is no patient information leaflet for medical devices like there is for medication. Surely I should have been told all the risks (of it remaining or taken out) so that I could contribute to the decision about whether it should remain in me or not?

It makes me wonder if I were to be involved in a road traffic accident and I ended up with the complication as described by bookwormhk would I be able to sue the local NHS Trust for not giving me information about all the risks of the device? After all I'm sure this complication was not recorded on the consent form.

Can you explain what you mean by "stress shielding" effect weakening the bone tissue please? Given the fact that I have osteopenia this is something that I should know about! Thanks
  • bookwormhk
    Nuka: Stress shielding effect if there is any will be on your injured femur, not your good leg or other bones. If osteopenia happens in both legs, it is unlikely the result of stress shielding effect. When I did my research on this, I was focusing on the link with IM nail so I can't say much about your case. Check it out with your doctor.

As for removal risk, my doctor told me infection is about 3%. The other risk he mentioned was inability to remove nail completely, as a result of nail breakage, stripped screw, nail stuck in bone tissues and the like :-( I believe the longer the nail is in your body, the higher the latter risk, but I am no expert here. Check with professionals.