broken hip recovery advice needed...............

Comments

• Hi joined the "Broken Hip Club" on January 22, 2011.
    I have had a Dynamic Hip Screw fitted. I have been encouraged from Day1 by the Physio at the Hospital to weight bear and do all the stretching exercises.
    At my check up with the Physio after 2 weeks I was encouraged to walk as much as i could with the crutches with a view to moving on to one crutch then none.
    He has set me no time scale and insists that the more I walk the quicker I will be able to walk without crutches.

Apparently the advantage of the Dynamic Hip Screw is that you can weight bear asap.

After 2 and a half weeks I am up to a mile walking on the crutches. And I exercise all the muscle groups 4 times a day. I am seeing improvements and less pain daily.

I guess my question in the back of my mind is am I doing too much? Or should i continue as I am ?

Thanks everyone for your comments
  • dragon66, sounds like you are doing very well, I think if your current routine of exercises isn't causing any pain you are perfectly okay to carry on. I found there came a point when I needed to push the envelope a little to see any gains, but not too much.
    You will be out and about in no time.
  • Sorry to hear you've joined the 'club' but you're doing very well Dragon 66.
    When I broke my hip I also had a DHS but I wasn't allowed to weightbear for 3 months.
    I sustained a intracapsular fracture which carries a substantial risk of AVN.
    Where was your fracture?I suspect yours was further away from the head of the femur.The further the fracture is away from the femurhead the less risk of AVN and the sooner one is allowed to weightbear.
    Keep up with the exercises and like greencurly said you'll be on the road again in no time.
  • What a club to join!!! I am a 43 year old male. I broke my left femur in the neck in a skiing accident in Colorado. Had surgery 6 hours after accident on 1/1/2011 - what a way to start the year :D . The repair was done with 3 cannulated screws and all looked good.
    But, back home in South Africa, at the 6 week check up, there was some evidence of bone collapse and screw movement (3mm). Doctor told me to remain no-weight bearing for another two weeks. Looks like my crutches are going to be my best friends for a while to come.
    Of course, like so many others, I have read all the doom and gloom related to AVN, mal- or non-union etc and have been similarly worried. It is relieving to see that there are many other cyclists out there who have the same concerns.

I have been doing 2 to 3 sessions (30 - 40 min) a week on an indoor trainer at low power and there is no pain - great!

I am taking Boswellic acid and Calcium/Boron/Zinc/Vit D supplements to try to aid healing.

Hopefully this is the right recipe for recovery.

cheers
  • WilfW
    WilfW Posts: 5
    Hi CraigWick
    Sorry to hear of your accident, and your recent news about the movement of your screws.
    I've got my appointment tomorrow, bit nervous, but hopefully all will be well.
    All the best Wilf
  • Hi greencurly,Valowitz
    Thanks for your comments. Now 3 weeks. My fracture was an intertrochanteric fracture. Phoned up doctor for clarifictaion of the fracture and he duly gave conflicting advice to the Physio from the Hospital. Doctor suggests staying on 2 crutches until the 6 weeks whereas Physio wants progression onto 1 crutch and then none. Hmmmm

I am back on the spinning bike now and working onto some muscular pain free revolutions. Another day or so then maybe able to do some very light spinning.

I am taking Calcium with Vitamin D and Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets.

WilfW good luck with your appointment. I am dreading mine on March 7th already!!
  • dragon66 wrote:
    Hi greencurly,Valowitz
    Thanks for your comments. Now 3 weeks. My fracture was an intertrochanteric fracture. Phoned up doctor for clarifictaion of the fracture and he duly gave conflicting advice to the Physio from the Hospital. Doctor suggests staying on 2 crutches until the 6 weeks whereas Physio wants progression onto 1 crutch and then none. Hmmmm
    quote]
    My fracture souunds very similar to yours, I was advised down the route that your Physio has recommended. I am very happy with how it has worked out.

The appointments are indeed nerve racking but keep a good healthy diet and it is amazing what mother nature will repair.
  • WilfW
    edited February 2011
    Hi All

Had a sucessful appointment this morning, break is healing well. I can now start to put weight on my leg, gradually increasing over the next few weeks.

Doctor was abit vague, he said as far as he was concerned the screws are in for good. Strangley said I could drive!. I am seeing my NHS physio on thursday, may even get to see the xray then.

greencurly's right keep to a good diet, coupled with a few vitamins, be patient and positive.

Good luck to everyone

:)
  • WilfW
    Good news must be great to be able to drive again and actually start weight bearing :wink: How many weeks post op are you?

Now I think I should come clean to all readers of this thread in that I am also of your persuasion having taken a dive on black ice on 2nd Jan this year (2011). I would be happy if all I broke was my hip but I also got a broken elbow in the fall making the use of crutches really difficult until this last week (week 6).

Reading this thread I think my post op progress is typical of most with no major hiccups however I've just had my first leg physio and am slightly concerned with one range of movement. The exercise is to lie on your good side with both legs extended and to raise up your bad leg. (If you were to do the exercise standing you would swing your bad leg sideways away from the other leg.) I could not raise my leg at all, not an inch, nothing. I'm thinking that the reason why is because of the surgery on the side of my leg and this surgery has cut through the muscles needed for this movement. Has anyone else had this experience?

PS I have included my 'accident' in my blog
    http://markscyclingblog.blogspot.com/

• WilfW
    Hi Marko1962

My op was christmas eve, which is 8 weeks this friday. I've got my first proper physio on thursday. I don't think I could manage the exercise you describe, even when fit!

Doing your elbow aswell is a real bummer.

Can't wait till thursday.

PS Im a real fraud I broke my hip ice scating on a frozen tarn!
  • [quote=Reading this thread I think my post op progress is typical of most with no major hiccups however I've just had my first leg physio and am slightly concerned with one range of movement. The exercise is to lie on your good side with both legs extended and to raise up your bad leg. (If you were to do the exercise standing you would swing your bad leg sideways away from the other leg.) I could not raise my leg at all, not an inch, nothing. I'm thinking that the reason why is because of the surgery on the side of my leg and this surgery has cut through the muscles needed for this movement. Has anyone else had this experience?

PS I have included my 'accident' in my blog
    http://markscyclingblog.blogspot.com/

.[/quote]
    Regarding the leg movement, I was exactly the same first time, absolutelly zero strength to lift the leg, luckily they started me on simple exercises 48hrs post op, strength and range of movement returns, my glute is still not back to post trauma size yet but coming on nicely now.
    Keep doing the exercises and you will be amazed how fast the gains will be.
  • Hi marco1962 the exercise you are talking about is the abductor muscles. I am 3 weeks in and can now lift my leg from a lying on side position. I also think the lack of initial movement is down to the surgery.
    Lying on the floor involves lifting a really heavy leg, you have not got enough strength yet. So my recommendation and what I have done is stood up , add resistance to the exercise either with ankle weights or with a resistance band. Push the leg out and hold 3 seconds for count of 10. Eventually you will have enough strength for the lying position leg lift. Took me 3 weeks daily. Hope this helps
  • WilfW wrote:
    Hi Marko1962

My op was christmas eve, which is 8 weeks this friday. I've got my first proper physio on thursday. I don't think I could manage the exercise you describe, even when fit!

Doing your elbow aswell is a real bummer.

Can't wait till thursday.

PS Im a real fraud I broke my hip ice scating on a frozen tarn!

Bet that went down well with the rest of the family the day before chrimbo :shock: and ice is ice it does the same thing to everyone, it breaks bones :cry:
  • greencurly,dragon66 It's reassuring to know that this lack of strength is 'normal' thanks for your quick replies guys and dragon I will try that exercise...
  • Marko1962:

I Don't think you need to worry too much. When I was about your time post-ops, I couldn't lift my bad leg likewise. As time went by (and with exercises), the muscle started to 'wake up' and regain strength. My muscle wastage was quite bad initially as I refused blood transfusion and couldn't leave my bed and touch ground until after nearly a week by which time muscle became really weak.
  • yo guys.

i'm now around 7-8 months post op, things are going really well getting some good strength back in the leg now and can manage around 15miles on the bike, still under instruction to add distance to each ride.

i get very minor pain now but i think its just the muscles. I still have a few more x-rays yet but all is looking good at this point.

i can't stress how important it is to rebuild the muscles, the quicker you build them up the quicker it takes the weight off the joint.

good luck guys!
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    edited March 2011
    bookwormhk

I've only on day 2 of the exercises the physio gave me and one particular exercise hits my very weak abductor muscles on the side of my leg where my surgery is. Yesterday I could only do 10 reps and today I squeezed out 20 so I'm already seeing some improvments.

One thing I should mention is that I've read in this thread of people who have problems with limps, well my physio said that it's these abductor muscles that if not strengthened will give you a limp...
  • Hi Marko1962, yes I had the same problem with the same exercise. Sounds like you are progressing but it does take time. When I finally mastered that one the physio got me doing a bridge with me holding my good leg out horizontal - they seem to find a way of making it harder as you get better, so dn't rush it. greencurly is right about pushing the envelope but i found that some days I couldn't improve and then a few days later for no obvious reason I could do more. You'll end up doing the leg raises against a rubber band as resistance. Stick at it and you'll get there.
  • WilfW
    Hi All
    I am now 9 weeks post op and have been weight bearing for the last 10 days. Gradually at first, but can now manage with just one crutch. My physio has told me not to do the lying down leg raises, but as dragon66 suggests do it standing up, I can now do 3 x 10 mins on an exercise bike with some resistance which i've found really useful.
    Hopefully start a gradual return to work next week.
    Good luck to everyone, keep up the hard work, but don't do too much too soon.
  • simonfr
    simonfr Posts: 57
    Hi all, and thanks for an informative thread, and to read what other in my sport and agegroup are getting on.

Im now a member of the club,
    Long story short, a car drove right up the back of me on a straight flat dual carriageway. I was thrown forward and landed on my right hip.
    Taken to hospital, there was no swelling, or visual differences in my hips, so the docs thought i had just badly bruised it.
    Wrong, xray showed the ball had broken from the neck of femur.
    12 hours later i was fitted with a DHS. (i was out on an evening/night ride - cops said i was lit up like a xmas tree at about 8pm)
    The registrar told me because my age, 39 - 5'5'' and 63kg), they would try to fix it, as i was too young for a hip replacement, but said i had 50/50 chance of developing AVN.
    In the morning, the Operation took 40 minutes, Surgeon was pleased it went better than expected, and told me i had a 33% chance of getting AVN.
    Im now at the 4 week post op mark.
    My physio is very happy with my progress, almost got 90% movement back by doing exercises, BUT i am only allowed partial weight bearing (20% bodyweight max).
    My next appointment is 30th March for my xray to confirm bone is healing and to discuss the way forward.
    The crutches are torture, but i fly a desk, and can get to work easily by train, so only had 2 weeks at home before returning to work.
    Im taking calcium, minerals, vitamins, glucosamine etc
    There is no pain, just discomfort, which is worst in the mornings, but soon eases off.
    I can feel the plate on the femur. And its quite disconcerting when sitting down.

So hopefully it goes well for all you guys and for me too!!
  • Marko1962
    edited March 2011
    simonfr, sorry to hear you've joined the club.

It's great that you are partial weight bearing already at only 4 weeks post op, I'm 9 weeks and have only been given permission a week ago to put down 3 stone through my leg by my consultant.

The metal work does feel weird, it's just like someone else said here in this thread somewhere, it's like walking with and lying down on a pocketful of loose change in your pocket. Over the last 3 weeks, after no way was I able to lie down on my leg with the DHS in, I can now lie down on it with minimal pain and every week it's getting better and I can also sleep in most of pre-spill positions.

I am also taking Calcium supplements with vitamin D3 and a good multivitamin, I'm convinced this is progressing my bone healing.

Good luck with your recovery and don't forget to show them scars off with pride :wink:
  • simonfr
    Hi Marko1962.
    It strange how i was to partial weight bear from the outset from when i was discharged. Each consultant seems to have differing opinions on when to weight bear and by how much. They wanted partial weight bearing to stimulate bone growth at the joint from the off. I think my injury seems to be a clean uncomplicated break, and most likely displaced, and i seem to remember them saying that my ball had slightly rotated in the joint too.

I was let out of hospital after 3 days. Given my crutches 'training course' (up stairs, down stairs and walking) and a flying visit by the occupational therapist who only asked if i could get on and off the loo!!
    So i had to go to a physio id used before for stuff like sciatica and patellar tendonitis.
    She phoned the consultant who actually spoke with her, and they spoke together about my recovery which was very helpful. A good physio is invaluable. But i think they havent been too intrusive as my recovery to the level of mobillity i have has been quite swift.
    So continually doing the exercises and 'patiently' waiting so i can get on a bike, even turbo'ing would be a step forward.
    Even tho i should be partial weight bearing, invariably i 'swing' on the crutches with the leg raised because its quicker!! So its 50/50 no/partial weight bearing just now.
    3 1/2 weeks till my next appointment.... but hell, who's counting..... :?
  • dragon66
    dragon66 Posts: 18
    Hi everyone
    Just thought I'd update everyone on my progress. Having had a DHS fitted 6 weeks ago, I have today been full discharged by the consultant as the xray shows a complete heal of the intertrochanteric fracture.
    I was advised by the physio to weight bear ASAP. Was on 2 crutches for 3.5 weeks, 1 crutch for 1.5 weeks and now fully weight bearing.
    I have from Day 1 exercised religiously all muscle groups of the hip at least 4 times a day. Firstly using the weight of my own leg then resistance band and over the last 1.5 weeks using weights at the gym. If I couldn't do an exercise then I'd find an easier alternative.
    I am hoping to be walking properly in a couple more days, I have resumed cycling on a spinning bike for the last couple weeks and have found the elliptical trainer and stepper at the Gym invaluable in my progress.
    I have pushed myself everyday and I think my previous career and knowledge of Sports Therapy has been invaluable in my progress.
    I do have a secondary injury with my knee and I am hoping once I achieve full flexion of the leg (about 90% at moment) that this will sort it's self out. Thats what the physio advises me.
    I still have a way to go and target being out on my bike in a couple of weeks when I have built up the strength in my leg more.
  • Marko1962
    dragon66
    Wow well done, 6 weeks? 6 weeks? what are you, Superman or something? :wink:

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and did you have one or two bolts in your DHS?
  • dragon66
    Marko1962
    Hi Marko I am 44, and I had 1 bolt in my DHS.
    Doing LaMarmotte again in July this year has always been my focus.
    I have walked at least a mile a day from week 2 on those crutches. Everyday there was some improvement! Kids have never walked so much!
  • Marko1962
    simonfr
    Lucky you, I had my crutches thrown at me and told to get on with it. Youtube then became my friend as I learnt how to navigate stairs :lol:

dragon66
    Perhaps the difference between being given permission to weight bear is down to the consultant and also the number of bolts in the DHS. I'm 48 so only four years older so it doesn't look like age is the factor, I was told that I needed to be non weight bearing because of the risk of a crack developing in the bone between the two bolts as they are very closely placed to each other. So one bolt, get up and walk son, 2 bolts, put your feet up for a few weeks.
  • simonfr
    Marko1962
    The crutches have been thrown about, by me, not at me, Ive had a few temper tantrums so far out of frustration. :?
    Im not a patient patient..... :cry::cry:

I believe i have a single bolt into my 'ball' and 2 screws in the plate on the femur.
    The surgeon said that my break was 'unstable', i.e. likely to move if i were to fully weight bear. So if it wasnt deemed unstable, then maybe id be walking and make a swift recovery like Dragon66 :cry:

Dragon66
    Well done. I echo Marko's sentiments!! You must be superhuman. Good luck for the future.

The only race i got round to entering later this year is the Keilder 100, which is in September.......
    So im focused fully on that at the moment.
  • dragon66
    Marko1962
    From what I have read full weight bearing is allowed immediately using the DHS on stable fractures. As you say yours is probably deemed unstable hence non weightbearing.

SimonFR
    I have a plate with 4 screws if you have 2 screws I guess it's less obtrusive. Can certainly feel mine when lying on injured side.

Sounds like I had a lucky break compared to others here, if there is such a thing!
  • simonfr
    Dragon66

The Intertrochanteric fracture seems to be the 'best' scenario from what ive read. Can weight bear soon and little issues with AVN.

Ive never managed to stump up the courage to lie on the injured side!!
  • I found this piece on cycling and bone health in Joe Friels blog http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/03/bones-and-cyclists.html
    I won't be able to run for a while and help strengthen my bones.
    On a good note though, with under 5 months since my fracture I ventured out on Saturday and did my first open time trial of the season, got into the top third of the field, so at this stage I am very pleased :D