Ridgeway Loop Saturday 26th April

Bossangel
Bossangel Posts: 164
edited November 2009 in MTB rides
Hi, me and a friend are lookingat doing our favourite ridgeway trail this saturday 26th April. Time is pretty flexible so far so we can appeal to different people. We generaly start at the shepherds rest pub in Foxhill, wanborough, Swindon and go from there. The loop is just under 15 miles and a little hilly in places. However all levels of fitness welcome as i am still pretty noobish and slow. I do this loop in just under 2 hours. Any takers?
Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop

Comments

• Bossangel
    Had a good ride Saturday, done the loop in 1:30 and managed to do the hill that normally half kills me, this newbie is definitely getting fitter, Will let those who were/are interested in coming out next time know when i'm doing it again
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    I could be interested next time. Could you send a PM my way when you think about doing it again?
  • lexiekay
    lexiekay Posts: 379
    hello,
    i ride the ridgeway quite a bit - let me know next time you're doing this and i'll tag along!
  • Bossangel
    I'm probably going to do it again Saturday if ur interested. Wont be sure of time yet til tommorow pm
  • dirtbiker100
    ahh think i might be over towards Gloucester riding Saturday.
  • Bossangel
    I'll be leaving the shepherds rest about 815am tommorw morning, looks like its just me so far few people dropping out. Me and the dirt.

Let me know if you want to meet up and ride
  • dirtbiker100
    sorry i've got a ride planned at 9am at birdlip between cheltenham and gloucester :) but feel free to pop another post in this thread if you go again some time soon!
  • Bossangel
    How does Monday morning sound? If I can get past the wife police then i'll be out again monday, i had a cracking ride this morning
  • dirtbiker100
    :D i really really promise i'm not making excuses... but... cwmcarn on monday ha ha sorry! glad you had fun this morning. Was over at birdlip and met a guy from swindon riding there. Said he really liked the trails over at birdlip and often rode them despite being from swindon. Interesting stuff
  • Bossangel
    is that the trail centre out there you go to? I have never been to a trail centre before. You sound way beyond where i'm at. My fitness is improving quickly but i'm far from being a pro
  • dirtbiker100
    yeah you should really try to get to a trail centre. every 6 months go to somewhere like cwmcarn and you can really see your fitness improving. test your skills and all sorts. i might be above your level but it doesn't mean i wouldn't like a ride near by! feel dead now though, 3 days and about 15 hours of hard riding
  • lexiekay
    You still trying to organise this? Sorry I didnt get back to you about the other weekend, was in the Peak District :D
    Have you thought about doing something weekday evenings? Now its nice weather you could easily fit in a good couple of hours on the Ridgeway after work....
  • dirtbiker100
    lexiekay wrote:
    Have you thought about doing something weekday evenings? Now its nice weather you could easily fit in a good couple of hours on the Ridgeway after work....
    That'd be appealing to me. I rarely ride after work but always at the weekends.
  • Bossangel
    I do go out there during the week as well, I didnt realise other people went out during the week. Guys if you want to go some where else just let me know and i'll come if i can, I want to ride as much as i can at the moment
  • lexiekay
    I dont know if you've seen this advertised, there is a charity bike ride for Macmillan Cancer on Sunday 1st June starting from the Croft Sports Centre in Swindon. The route goes up on the Ridgeway, and theres a choice of 10, 19 and 28 mile routes. I think a bunch of us from work might be doing it, you'd be welcome to join us if you want? The link is http://www.castlesbikeride.co.uk
  • dirtbiker100
    ooh thanks for the heads up, i'll see if any of the people i ride with will be interested.
  • lexiekay
    No problem, maybe see you there!
    also, i've just got a car :D so am looking to do some riding a bit further afield from Swindon - any suggestions would be great if you have any!
  • dirtbiker100
    Well the other week i met a chap from swindon who used birdlip (near gloucester) as his local riding! theres some really lovely stuff around there. or along the M4 to bristol - ashton court has a nice all weather trail thats really good. the quantocks somewhere in the southwest (where exactly are they?) are listed in the latest mbuk as one of the top 20 places in the world every rider should go to. all three places are suitable for all skill levels so no need to worry. If you fancy a challenge at a great trail cwmcarn is a short hop the other side of the severn and not too far for a days adventure. theres also the forest of dean the other side of gloucester. south of swindon i'm not entirely sure about but i believe theres good riding around devizes etc?
    now you've got a car theres some great riding within a shortish journey, not just alright like around swindon.
    If you fancy a ride at any of those with some company my friends and i visit all of those fairly regularly.
  • lexiekay
    Cool thanks :D
    I went to cwmcarn last week with my hardtail and really loved it, cant wait to go again with my new bike... And Afan is pretty easy to get to from here too.
    No Idea where the Quantocks are (I was always rubbish at geography!) but i saw that article so I might try it at some point. But the other places sound good, I've heard of Birdlip but never been.
    Yeah some company would be great - im off on holiday this weekend but might PM you when i get back if thats ok? Always good to get some tips from other riders!
  • dirtbiker100
    yeah that'd be great i'm off this weekend too.... glentress, innerleithen, hopefully kirroughtree. sorry :oops: :D
    ah well if you've done cwmcarn then you're all set. didn't mention afan as didn't know if you'd done cwmcarn. we get to afan whenever our hearts ache for it again ha ha.
    but sure give me a PM when you're next around.
  • Bossangel
    5 of us are meeting up on tuesday evening to go out, more welcome to come. Just drop me or forgotrafe a message and we'll fill you in
  • punctureboy
    punctureboy Posts: 217
    i use the canal that runs through devises for my long endurance ride. its obvsiously nice and flat (apart from caen hill!) so great for working on endurance. to avoid it being boring doubling back on myself i try to get back to the car quicker than i got out. its harder than it sounds when your so tired.
    i think its called the bath and avon canal or something like that. the easiest place to get onto it from swindon is probably just south of marlborough. theres a few nice pubs along the route to use as turnaround points (or as a pub crawl!)
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    i use the canal that runs through devises for my long endurance ride.

Hi - sounds interesting. I've just looked at a map and can see the Kennet & Avon canal going through Devizes.

However, the path along the canal is marked as a footpath on the OS map I have. Do you know better, is cycling generally accepted on tow paths or do you not care? Or do you just "hug" the canal on the adjacent roads?

Sorry if that sounds rude, doesn't mean to be! Just curious as I don't like to cycle where I shouldn't having seen many may rights of way removed because of supposed misuse.

Rafe
  • forgotrafe
    Answered my own question! On http://www.visitkanda.com it says:

"After Bath, cycling is permitted throughout the length of the canal, except for a few short sections near Reading."

Excellent. Thanks for the pointer, look forward to getting there sometime.

Rafe
  • punctureboy
    punctureboy Posts: 217
    sorry for my slow reply. new to cycling and it never occurred to me i wouldnt be able to cycle there! i see plenty of other cyclists there, and the only restrictive signs are no horses. anyway as you say you confirmed its allowed enjoy riding there.
  • forgotrafe
    I did the Castles Bike 28-mile route yesterday. That was after 13 miles off-road with BossAngel Saturday evening. Needless to say I'm a bit tender today.

Very well organised and great fun. Many thanks to lexiekay for mentioning it.

Rafe
  • Bossangel
    Forgotrafe and i are looking at doing 20 miles over the ridgeway thurs evening if anyone wants to come out to play and join us
  • dirtbiker100
    I'm out of action at the moment with a very bent rear disc so no rear brake. shame as that ride Thursday evening sounds good.