average mph ?

1235»

Comments

• Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    On my old mountain bike with slicks I managed 18.7 over 22 miles, this was aided by an overall drop in altitude mind! The return journey was 17.1 and slightly shorter, 17.8 combined over 42.7 miles. Not that I look into these things much! :P

Start Time:
    Sep 16, 2010 10:05 AM
    Distance:
    22.10 mi
    Duration:
    1h:10m:57s
    Avg Speed:
    18.7 mph
    Max Speed:
    35.3 mph
    Calories:
    1316 kcal
    Altitude:
    171 ft / 569 ft

Start Time:
    Sep 16, 2010 6:03 PM
    Distance:
    20.61 mi
    Duration:
    1h:12m:16s
    Avg Speed:
    17.1 mph
    Max Speed:
    31.0 mph
    Calories:
    1228 kcal
    Altitude:
    169 ft / 604 ft
  • I did a 26.5 mile loop today from Rochdale to Hebden Bridge, then back home via Cragg Vale (Englands longest continual ascent!). It took me exactly 90 mins, which is an average speed of 17.66mph... is that any good?

I'd like to give amateur racing a go next season but I don't want to be left for dust... of course I will continue to train during the harsh cold winter... on my turbo trainer :lol:

Would I be okay do you think?
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Most of the Cat 4 results I've looked at online have an average speed of about 23mph over a 30 mile race.

I'm not sure if a good constant time is a decent measure of ability though. I did a 20.1 mile course with over 1000ft of climbing in 58:35 (20.59mph). From speaking to numerous racers though, time-trialling is just not an indicator of racing ability.

The ability to ride in a bunch, cornering, and most stressed was the ability to sprint and recover to deal with the constant efforts of chasing breakaways and sprinting out of corners. Even watching cycle racing on television, you see the pace of the race is dynamic, so they're putting heart rates through numerous zones multiple times in a single race. I think that's the sort of training you need to be looking at doing on the decent base/foundations you clearly have.

Don't let that put you off though - riding in a bunch on anothers wheel and the fact you're also in the mindset of racing with people to chase will help push you. Give it a go - what do you have to lose?
  • Dont know what you lot are on but you really do need to be impressed with the speeds your getting and remember that theres some real newby's here.
    I was offered a place on a bikability trainer training course at the begining of August (8 weeks ago) and accepted even though I hadn't ridden a bike for over thirty years.
    I pulled from the rear of the shed a Universal Epic hybrid (given to my eldest son second hand quite some time ago), pumped up the knobbly tyres, borrowed a bike rack and off I went - loved it and been out many times since
    Got my journeys up to 15 miles and reaching speeds now along the canal of 12mph and bloody chuffed at that!
    I enjoyed the cycle course and as I can see 50 just over two years ahead, thought this might be a good way of getting fitter and getting the old ticker racing. It works
    Trouble is I've been hooked, and now looking at road 'race' bikes, slicks and semi slicks, cleats and SPD's. all new words to my vocabulary in the last two months. And man!!! is some of this stuff expensive.
    But I have seen my speed increase in the last several weeks from an average of 4-5 to 12mph so I'm happy at that. (But it WILL get better!!!)

RSO Fish
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Furrag wrote:
    From speaking to numerous racers though, time-trialling is just not an indicator of racing ability.

Nope, but it at least shows if you have the basic aerobic fitness, especially for 4th cat where it tends not to be brutal for long as the attacks are just not organised enough and you regularly get a rest. The problem comes more if you lose the bunch through your technical skills as you say.
    Furrag wrote:
    I think that's the sort of training you need to be looking at doing on the decent base/foundations you clearly have.

I think you should just race, or ride with people in race like situations sooner rather than later, there's a whole technical side to learn quite apart from the fitness. Doesn't need to be formal races, but group rides where you get attacks are enough.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • i averaged about 25mph on a 80 mile ride today, went to waddington and Chippen.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    i averaged about 25mph on a 80 mile ride today, went to waddington and Chippen.
    Not bad, at that pace you would have been first home in this year's Etape Caledonia (81 miles) by about 20 minutes
  • :P it did help me with the fact i had a big group of 40+ riders ;)
    north west of england.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    bompington wrote:
    Not bad, at that pace you would have been first home in this year's Etape Caledonia (81 miles) by about 20 minutes

and you would also be national road race champion - hang on, is your name Geraint Thomas..??
  • god.. i thought i was fooling people with my crappy Dawes :lol:

anyway i didnt say exactly 25mph did i lol? i said about :P maybe at 22-24mph seems more appropriate?
    north west of england.
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    softlad wrote:
    bompington wrote:

and you would also be national road race champion - hang on, is your name Geraint Thomas..??

He was driving a car
    I like white bikes
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    softlad wrote:
    bompington wrote:

No no no, you want motorbikeradar.com this is a different forum.
  • Did a 44mile run on sat morning averaged 18.7mph

Dunno if that's decent or not tbh..
  • Did a 44mile run on sat morning averaged 18.7mph

Dunno if that's decent or not tbh..
    yes it is !!! i go by the gauge of anything above 20 miles at 18 mph + is good for me
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Good to see the "online forum +25% to avg speed" rule coming into good effect :lol:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    danowat wrote:
    Good to see the "online forum +25% to avg speed" rule coming into good effect :lol:

there is so much bullsh1t on this thread, my monitor is starting to smell... ;)
  • Logic
    Logic Posts: 54
    got my first road bike at the weekend (TREK1.2) and found that although i run and swim my leg got a kickin' lol. averaged 14 MPH over a poor 12 mile ride first time on the bike with a heart stopping 13% gradient 3/4 the way round which didnt help.

I did stop a few times and walked the last part of the hill as my HR reached 198 BPM and it nearly lept out and rolled back down the hill.

Felt good so did it sunday too but legs needed abit more recovery so took a different route of 8 miles and still hit 14.8 MPH,

Im aiming for 18-20 and il be happy with that.