average mph ?

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Skindog wrote:
    Just got new computer, done 17 miles - fcuked. Average 13.2 :oops:
    Its cos you have set your wheel size correctly and everyone else has b*ggered theirs up.
    At least that's what i console myself with :lol:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • lilactime
    lilactime Posts: 86
    done 24 miles today . first 12 averaged 20 mph second twelve coming back with evil headwind averaged 15mph . conditions are everything .
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did 72 miles today, average of about 14.8, but was going fast alot of the time, some parts 1-2 mile stretched at about 25mph and some down hill at 31mph, but it was awsome ride even at 15mph. Going up some hills at like 20mph but some was like 10mph as I overtook someone in my group and trashed it and got to the steepest part and bottomed out :p
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    A hilly 50-miler done at 16.9 mph. Almost 2,000ft of ascent and a bugger of a wind. Not bad for an owld fella
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    HarryB wrote:
    A hilly 50-miler done at 16.9 mph. Almost 2,000ft of ascent and a bugger of a wind. Not bad for an owld fella

Wow thats fast how steep were the hills?
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    this weeks rides are 63 miles ave 18.9 640m of climb 22.5 miles ave 19.3 289m of climb 14.5 miles ave 19.1 172m of climb 24.5 miles ave 19.1 325m of climb so 100 miles for the week at 19mph ave hoping to get some 20mph rides next month
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,470
    I was just off 19mph (18.9) on my 42 mile ride yesterday. I blame my cycle computer, it grudgingly ups my average by 0.1 mph after 5 mins of hard slog, and then knocks 0.3mph off when the bike is stationary. Honestly, I think it's still calculating the average for a couple of cycles after the speed is showing zero... :wink:
  • popette wrote:
    leehellcat wrote:
    I average between 14.5 - 16.5mph doing my commute to work, and weekend fun trips. I do 17 miles each way to work and back, and tend to do 30-50 miles when I can get out at the weekend.

I have only really been cycling regularly since xmas 2007, due to time constraints previously, but quite pleased so far.
    Aiming to reach 23mph so I can get to work in 45 minutes, as thats close to how long it takes in a car !!

I'm using a Specialized Crossroads Hybrid. If I can get to 23mph, then I'm going to treat myself to a proper drop bar road bike with skinny little wheels !!! 8)

do it the other way around - buy a gorgeous light bike with some sh"t hot wheels and then you'll go 23mph :)

I did think that, but then thought that it was cheating, especially as I am 6'4" and 95Kgs. As they say, it's easier and cheaper to take 10Kgs off the rider than the bike. But as I currently plod around with 2 panniers on with my change of clothes, size 12 boots, and lunch, then I reckon I should be able to up the speed a bit yet. :D
    neeb wrote:
    'm using a Specialized Crossroads Hybrid. If I can get to 23mph, then I'm going to treat myself to a proper drop bar road bike with skinny little wheels !!! Cool
    A 17 mile commute on a hybrid bike at an average speed of 23mph? That's quite a challenge!

My average speed commuting is consistently about 3mph slower than my average on a "proper" ride, even a much longer one. Junctions, heavier bike, jeans instead of lycra, rucksack, less motivation...

The whole average speed thing is an evil slave-driver really. Unless knowing what it is is making you happy, best to turn it off. There are so many things that can influence the average speed for a given ride that it's misleading as often as it's useful.

A challenge indeed, but if I am honest, I would be happy to get to 20mph on the hybrid as an average, and then treat myself to the snazzy road bike (liking the look of the boardmans) and that should see me up to the 23mph hopefully !! 8) 8)
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    leehellcat - we have the same size feet :)
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    I think there is some creative accounting here.

Our club is purely a race club. In the winter we tend to average around 17 t0 17.5 mph for 90 - 100 mile runs in the Northumberland hills.

Yesterday I raced for 2 1/2 hours at an average of 25.9 mph.

Yet, when i train on my own I tend to average around 18mph. Now i might do 30 mins flat out considerably quicker than that, but on average (as per the thread title)

Some of you who are looking at doing 23mph averages on a hybrid and 20mph on MTB with knobbly tyres want to get into racing sharpish, you'll clean up.
  • neeb
    I haven't done any racing but I would like to have a go sometime. Because I'm living abroad at the moment and I don't really speak the language it's doubly intimidating to get involved, but I am hoping to join a club this summer and at least get some experience of riding in a group. Would you say that if you can manage an 18-19mph average on your own over 30-60 miles you are fast enough to try racing at Cat 5? 25.9 mph for 2 1/2 hours seems impossibly fast to me (maybe for 2 1/2 minutes...) How much of that difference is down to the effect of drafting, how much to adrenaline etc?
  • celbianchi
    neeb wrote:
    I haven't done any racing but I would like to have a go sometime. Because I'm living abroad at the moment and I don't really speak the language it's doubly intimidating to get involved, but I am hoping to join a club this summer and at least get some experience of riding in a group. Would you say that if you can manage an 18-19mph average on your own over 30-60 miles you are fast enough to try racing at Cat 5? 25.9 mph for 2 1/2 hours seems impossibly fast to me (maybe for 2 1/2 minutes...) How much of that difference is down to the effect of drafting, how much to adrenaline etc?

Neeb - if you can do 18-19 on your own over reasonably varied terrain then you have the engine to start. I can not time trial very well at all and in a flatish one can average about 24mph for 18 miles. I did a MTT last weekend at 18.5 with 1200m of climbing in 40.5miles. So I am no 30mph tester.

25.9 mph average seems fast when you just look at the numbers and before I started racing 4 years ago used to think, there is no way I could manage that. However, sitting in the bunch has a massive effect, imagine 60 - 80 of you hammering along, if you are in the middle of the bunch you are protected from the wind from all sides.
    Adrenalin - for me pinning a number on for the few TT's that i do over the season also has a profound effect on making you go harder than you think you can. Same applies in a road race, if you see a gap opening to the wheel in front you find the ability to dig deep and close it down.

I would say definatley give it a go - you learn something in every road race, you may or may not get dropped in your first couple of races, but once you have the knack of sitting in the right place and can then think about attacking etc, it is great fun.
  • celbianchi wrote:
    Some of you who are looking at doing 23mph averages on a hybrid and 20mph on MTB with knobbly tyres want to get into racing sharpish, you'll clean up.

Oh, yes indeedy. I can't help wondering how some of these average speeds are being worked out. I hope they're all being done by timing how long it takes to complete, say, a measured twenty miles of real road. But I suspect some of these figures have come from cycle computers, and if they're not properly calibrated their accuracy is shit.
  • neeb
    Neeb - if you can do 18-19 on your own over reasonably varied terrain then you have the engine to start. I can not time trial very well at all and in a flatish one can average about 24mph for 18 miles. I did a MTT last weekend at 18.5 with 1200m of climbing in 40.5miles. So I am no 30mph tester.

25.9 mph average seems fast when you just look at the numbers and before I started racing 4 years ago used to think, there is no way I could manage that. However, sitting in the bunch has a massive effect, imagine 60 - 80 of you hammering along, if you are in the middle of the bunch you are protected from the wind from all sides.
    Adrenalin - for me pinning a number on for the few TT's that i do over the season also has a profound effect on making you go harder than you think you can. Same applies in a road race, if you see a gap opening to the wheel in front you find the ability to dig deep and close it down.

I would say definatley give it a go - you learn something in every road race, you may or may not get dropped in your first couple of races, but once you have the knack of sitting in the right place and can then think about attacking etc, it is great fun.
    Thanks. Sorry this is off topic, but the other thing that worries me about racing (apart from getting dropped) is crashing and seriously injuring myself, or worse, doing something stupid that causes someone else to crash and seriously injure themselves... Whenever I watch racing or read about it it seems that crashes happen all of the time and aren't a big issue, but I can't help feeling that if I crashed at 25-30mph I'd be an invalid for six months. I guess I'm quite cautious when riding by myself and have managed to avoid serious crashes so far...
  • celbianchi
    Crashes do happen, an inevitability of the sport. I have crashed a couple of times racing. Once comically going over the bars into a fence post on a rapid descent.

Few cuts and bruises when people hit the deck but so far nothing too bad.
  • neeb
    Well, two times in four years doesn't sound too bad. Listening to some people talk you get the impression that you crash every other race...
  • popette wrote:
    leehellcat - we have the same size feet :)

Just imagine how much quicker we would go without the extra drag of such huge shoes !! :lol:
  • celbianchi wrote:
    I think there is some creative accounting here.

Our club is purely a race club. In the winter we tend to average around 17 t0 17.5 mph for 90 - 100 mile runs in the Northumberland hills.

Yesterday I raced for 2 1/2 hours at an average of 25.9 mph.

Yet, when i train on my own I tend to average around 18mph. Now i might do 30 mins flat out considerably quicker than that, but on average (as per the thread title)

The 23mph average that I am hopelessly aiming for is based on a 17 mile journey, distance measured using lonely roads http://lonelyroads.org/index.php/routes/index/884
    I currently do it in 1 hour 1 minute, So first target is to crack the hour mark, and then head down towards the 45 minute mark. But in fairness, I could probalby speed up by 1 mph just by not carrying the panniers around with me.

However, I did my first 50 mile run in the snow a few weeks back on a sunday morning, and I averaged 12.5mph. Not going to set the world on fire over that sort of distance, as I don't get the chance to do that sort of distance too often. However, we all have to aim for something. Losing 10Kgs wouldn't go amiss either ! :D
  • jed1978
    jed1978 Posts: 87
    felt like a poor run today, sore knee and horrible headwind,

17mph average over 22.5miles
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    Done 50.34 miles in 2:59:05 average 16.87mph with climb of 2039ft, runkeeper is a great app.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    This morning I did 46 miles at an average of 16.1 MPH - my garmin reports a total ascent of 3004 ft - and total descent of 3006 ft - not quite sure how hilly this makes the course - there is one whopa of a hill at the end - which scuppers my average a bit !
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    a pretty steady 16mph over 10/20 miles
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • Suuuurely you fast guys are not beginners!! Big up respek and all that for your fitness though.

I've been cycling for 2 weeks now and average about 15.5mph on rides of about between 10 to 25 miles. Just did first 50miler in the rain and with a headwind on the way back and got 15.4mph. Pretty flat roads round here but annoyingly bad quality (cracks, bumps, potholes and massive puddle galore - that's my excuse anyway).
    Giant Rapid 3
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Mines around 20mph, for a 20 mile loop, it was quite flat though.

I can blame the rear rack on the back slowing me down though :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    20 mile out and back a few days back ,195m of climb,ave speed 19,75 mph, a month ago did 5 rides on consecutive days from 28 to 33 miles,250 to 350m of climb,ave speed 18.7 to 19.6 mph. my best ave on a 30 mile loop is 19,9 mph.
  • Coffey01
    Coffey01 Posts: 47
    Bang on 40mile loop and bang on 22mph average the other week :):) Been cycling since march but training hard and the improvement is amazing, and the weight loss!!

Managed a PB on a 10TT last sunday too . . . 23.33 :)
  • louthepoo
    louthepoo Posts: 223
    i've got a 15 mile route i do regularly and my average has gone up from 13.0 to 13.9 mph. I know its not fast but as long as the speed keeps going up and the weight keeps coming off i'll be happy
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • RobG100
    RobG100 Posts: 40
    I average about 22-23 MPH for a flattish 20 mile route. About 19ish for a 30-40 mile route and 17-19 for anything above that. I don't usually do more than 50 miles.

It's largely wind and weather dependant, however.
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    Coffey01 wrote:
    Bang on 40mile loop and bang on 22mph average the other week :):) Been cycling since march but training hard and the improvement is amazing, and the weight loss!!

Managed a PB on a 10TT last sunday too . . . 23.33 :)
    Now that`s good.
    Last 4 miles of my route is uphill, total killer.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    22-25 depending on terrian over a 50mile ride...im gettin a garmin soon so il tell u the exact number soon:P lol
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)