garmin edge 705

1234568»

Comments

• Have to say I'm not convinced but am being persuaded.

Already have OS maps for MemoryMap 1:25000 and 1:50000. Can these be uploaded to the 705? And can MemoryMap Routes and tracks transfer too?

Hope to be off to south of France next month. Topographical maps of France don't seem too hot for MemoryMap. Any suggestions?

All road riding.

Thanks.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • Memory Map maps can't be uploaded - only the rather inferior Garmin Topo ones.

And MM doesn't recognise my 705 - but mine's an older version. Garmin have route planning software available - the mac version's called Bobcat, not sure about PC.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Need to update your MM software (if it's version 5) to the latest build and then it works.

Forgot to mention calories! I have mine set up at 55kg whilst my actually weight is 100kg. Seems to provide a more realistic calories consumed figure
    Paul
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i just got mine today (705) but im struggling to get my cadence sensor to pair up with my unit. How do i do it!?
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    i just got mine today (705) but im struggling to get my cadence sensor to pair up with my unit. How do i do it!?

Do you mean pairing with the head unit or recognising the magnet on the crank?

Mine automatically found the cadence sensor ... but the mag needs to be quite close.
  • spasypaddy
    sorry im a mongtard, had the unit set to the wrong bike... changed it to the right bike and found it straight away!

Woooo now lets hope for decent weather tomorrow so i can get out with it!
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I have taken the plunge & ordered. I'll let you know how i get on.

What desk top sw is favorite. The Garmin Connect website or the Garmin Training Centre?

would suggest using sporttracks to analys your rides instead of TC , still need that for workouts and courses but sporttracks gives you much better mapping and reporting(when you first install it it doesnt display any maps you need to select Street, caught me out)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • willbevan
    bjlyons wrote:

I've only used the City Nav Europe maps and they are great. The free option is Open Street Maps, I haven't tried these but from what I've read they are pretty good but do not allow the Edge to carry out auto routing. I've also heard that older Garmin maps will work that can possibly be found at online auctions a bit cheaper. The base map that comes installed on the unit for free is rubbish and won't allow you to see anything but major A roads.

Good luck with your units!

You can use the MetroGuide maps, very similar to the City Navigator maps but don't have the ability to route once onthe 705 as standard BUT you can enable this with a free program called Metrowizz

http://www.geodude.nl/community/content/view/19/36/

This creates the routing info to be transfered to the garmin and hey presto you have routing onthe device(has some issues with V9 of Metroguide UK),bit of a faf though as you have to use it each time you want to change maps, which shouldn't be often

Or you can pay $6 dollars and get MetroGold which upgrades the maps so that mapsource sends them down with it, so no wizard etc

http://www.geodude.nl/community/content/view/13/28/

Have tried routing with them and they work really well, have only done 20 mile trips so far,but is all good :)

Just a shame you cant do a route via two points directly on the 705(someone correct me if im wrong)only on the PC and download it as a route, which wont auto route!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• spasypaddy
    if i have a cadence sensor on two different bikes will my 705 know which bike im using?
  • pjm-84
    Hold the mode button in after you have switched it on and you will have a choice of bikes to select. That's if you've set them up first.
    Paul
  • spasypaddy
    oh thats a shame, thought it might change automatically :( im blatantly going to forget to do that!
  • pjm-84
    Or you can pay $6 dollars and get MetroGold which upgrades the maps so that mapsource sends them down with it, so no wizard etc

Just bought the software and it works a treat. Cheers
    Paul
  • willbevan
    glad i was somne help :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• I'm this close to getting an Edge 705, but just wanted to check on the map situation:

How's everyone getting on with just having the Europe maps on SD card, rather than on the DVD? My reading of the various online forums is that with the SD you can't see the maps on your computer, so you can't use the Garmin software to plan routes. However, it sounds like the likes of Bike Route Toaster are good for that, so there's no need to shell out all that extra for the DVD.

Have I got it right? Or are there any other issues with not having a detailed map in your Garmin software? Does it lessen the usefulness of the info you can get on Training Center and Connect?

Cheers,
    Phil
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Philip S wrote:
    with the SD you can't see the maps on your computer, so you can't use the Garmin software to plan routes.

http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?topic=9780.0 :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Looks promising a_n_t, although I have a Mac without a PC emulator, so it would be useful to get confirmation that this works on one of those... (or find some other means of getting a map across...)

The more I read about it, the more I think that the only advantage of the DVD is the detailed map for route planning on Mapsource. However, the Googlemaps-based websites that let you plan routes look a lot nicer (better map graphics). Can you view your training data and the Googlemaps map at the same time anywhere?
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    Just a quick mention of another good reason to get a 705 which is Garmin's rather fine customer service.

Somehow, some weeks ago I had manged to lose the plastic slide cover to the SD card which meant it was now potentially open to the rain. One quick call to Garmin and they'd sent a new one for free in the post. I've now taped it in place to make sure its safe.

Anyway there a company that in lots of small ways impresses me more and more as time goes on....
  • Got my 6705 now, and City Navigator Europe on DVD.

Off to south of France tomorrow/Friday so will see how it serves me.

Search party in the Pyrenees? I hope not.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • I'm thinking of getting the 705 soon.
    Has anyone used one in Lanzarote with the full Europe SD card. I was wondering what the coverage is like as I'm off there a few times over the winter,

Cheers
    Pete