garmin edge 705

Comments

• MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    my 705 is really beginning to piss me off. The manual is absolutely rubbish! It doesn't explain how you actually use the damn thing!

Does anyone know of any actual useful instructions anywhere?
  • hazychris
    hazychris Posts: 202
    MegaCycle wrote:
    my 705 is really beginning to wee-wee me off. The manual is absolutely rubbish! It doesn't explain how you actually use the damn thing!

Does anyone know of any actual useful instructions anywhere?

Mr Megacycle from Oxford, there's now a whole bunch of useful information on the interwebby-thing on the 705, and to be quite honest, it's really not too hard to fathom.

Can I humbly suggest you take your whining elsewhere - it's beginning to wee-wee me off :twisted:
  • hazychris
    Here's some useful stuff from me for road riding using the 705....

* Check out the MotionBased forum: http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?board=86.0

* Check out this BikeForums thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=394187&page=1

* If you're getting crashes on a course, switch the display (mode button) to work as a bike computer, the turns still come up, but the freezes seem to be associated with redraing the map. You can cycle the mode round to the map when you really need it but go back to the cycle computer mode straight afterwards. Garmin Support are working on a firmware fix for this as we speak.

* Use the two Bike Computer screens and add the parameters you want to display - I tend to have instantaneous data on the one (speed, cadence, time of day, heart rate and zone etc) and trip-related stuff on the other (average speed, climb, time of ride etc) - it can make the unit very useful!

* Use BikeRouteToaster to create routes. You'll need to create an account, and then create a course. Use the red pins (Course Points) to create the route (not Track Points!), and also set the following options: Use Auto Routing, Add Course Points at Junctions, Creat Track at Side of Road, Distance from Centre = 2 metres, Side of Road = Left. When saving a course (Summary tab), Add Course Warning Points, Warning Distance =200m and then click the tcx link, saving wherever you want on your PC, then copying it directly into the Garmin/Courses (or similar, mines not plugged into check) directory on the 705.

* To follow a course, give the 705 a minute or so and check that there's plenty of satellites visible (this gets the barometric altitude calibrated), and then go to Training -> Courses, select your course and then Do Course. Don't forget to press the start button to start recording!

* Regularly purge stuff out of the Garmin/History directory to keep the 705 tidy.

* For a better quality PC based training log, use ZeroPace http://www.zeropace.com/, written by a very proactive company. To import, export the history in Garmin Training Centre (needed if you use the auto recording feature) and then import the file into ZeroPace - works very nicely!

That's all for now, hopefully some 705 owners will find this useful.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • MegaCycle
    very helpful. Much appreciated.

I shall stop whining now.... ;-)
  • hazychris - when i want to follow a route I use gpx which seems to work fine although there is one issue with it recalculating if I leave the course and sending me to the end the fastest possible way rather than back to the course. Have you had this problem with TCX or know of any way around the issue?

Like you I usually run it in computer mode, I'm not sure what the point of running it in continuous map mode would be anyway.

I've been using Sporttracks software which is very good.

My biggest problem is remembering to press start when I move off :?

Oh if anyone is using City Nav I wouldn't bother setting detail to anything higher than Normal.
  • hazychris
    edited May 2008
    hazychris - when i want to follow a route I use gpx which seems to work fine although there is one issue with it recalculating if I leave the course and sending me to the end the fastest possible way rather than back to the course. Have you had this problem with TCX or know of any way around the issue?

My biggest problem is remembering to press start when I move off :?

Hi Winston,

I get the odd deviation when the 705 tells me I'm off course, normally when going along the right road. It only last for a few seconds before it does "Course Found", which I knew all along really.

From what I understand when you're on a TCX course, it doesn't do any further routing, if you leave the course, it's your job to get yourself back on it. It takes a real map crisis or numpty to get reall (not withstanding the point above) as it nags you to take turnings, so it's your own fault if you get lost (and yes, tonight, I ignored it because I knew a shortcut, and it just kept reminding me I was off course, and then heaved a sigh of relief when I got back on the course!)

I know what you mean about forgetting to press Start when starting!!

Cheers,
    C
  • hazychris
    MegaCycle wrote:

Thanks Mr Megacycle - hope it's working for you! Incidentally are you in Oxford city? I ask as I regularly cycle with a group in Wantage, just down the road...

Cheers,
    C
  • MegaCycle
    hazychris wrote:
    MegaCycle wrote:

Thanks Mr Megacycle - hope it's working for you! Incidentally are you in Oxford city? I ask as I regularly cycle with a group in Wantage, just down the road...

Cheers,
    C

Yes, I am near the train station. Regularly go out to the White Horse Hill.

As for my 705, if everyone else seems to find it no problem, then I guess I'll manage eventually!
  • magliaceleste
    magliaceleste Posts: 748
    Personally I think that it's a bit early to be jumping on the 605/705 bandwagon. I'll stick with my 305. Early Garmin releases tend to be buggy, it wasn't until a few firmware upgrades that my unit became stable.

Also with time more of the OS map software manufacturers/training software makers will provide some kind of route (or more specifically course) plotting/data analysis support. I'll certainly join in if and when it's all sorted though.

Incidentally I'm also around Wantage (small world!).
  • MegaCycle
    You Wantage boys must know Baz at Ridgeway Cycles then?
  • magliaceleste
    Barry? Yep, sure do.
  • hazychris wrote:
    Hi Winston,

I get the odd deviation when the 705 tells me I'm off course, normally when going along the right road. It only last for a few seconds before it does "Course Found", which I knew all along really.

From what I understand when you're on a TCX course, it doesn't do any further routing, if you leave the course, it's your job to get yourself back on it. It takes a real map crisis or numpty to get reall (not withstanding the point above) as it nags you to take turnings, so it's your own fault if you get lost (and yes, tonight, I ignored it because I knew a shortcut, and it just kept reminding me I was off course, and then heaved a sigh of relief when I got back on the course!)

I know what you mean about forgetting to press Start when starting!!

Cheers,
    C

Thanks Chris, I tried a course tonight and it worked very well, as you say it didn't try and recalculate my route when I left it. The only problem is that the navigation instructions are poorly highlighted compared to a gpx. I have noticed that you seem to be able to run both a gpx and crs simultaneously so tomorrow I'm going to try that having uploaded both files from a route created in toaster, hopefully that way I'll get good navigation instructions and not lose my route if I detour.

I'll let you know how it goes.
  • MegaCycle
    interestingly I phoned Garmin support again and they seemed pretty uninterested in the fact that the so called user manual doesn't actually explain how to use the unit!

One thing they did say though is that .gpx files aren't really much good with the 705 as it runs out of memory really easily. The best option is to find a .crs file of the route and then open this from the "training" menu, rather than the "where to?" menu

I shall give that a try.

I even managed to find a website that converts .gpx files into .crs files

http://www.gpsies.com/upload.do?uploadMode=convert
  • magliaceleste
    Also with time more of the OS map software manufacturers/training software makers will provide some kind of route (or more specifically course) plotting/data analysis support. I'll certainly join in if and when it's all sorted though.

Yep, as I hinted above. The Garmins can only hold a very limited number of waypoints. Courses are much better and allow you to really have something which follows the roads exactly (plus then you can race against the virtual partner..)

Waypoint to waypoint navigation (routes in Garmin terminology) is IMO a waste of time.

The trouble is being able to generate a detailed course file without something like Tracklogs...although if your website link does the trick then that's great.
  • OK, well I tried running a crs and gpx simultaneously, it's perfectly possible to do it and it will give you both types of navigation instructions. However again, when I left the course (i was diverted the wrong way around a roundabout at roadwarks) immediately the gpx starts recalculating and when I ignored it's new instructions just persistently recalculates until I switched the gpx off. Nice while it worked though.
  • MegaCycle
    I did a sportive today and followed a .CRS file in my 705. It was actually quite easy, I agree. It did tell me I was off course for a few miles tho (when I wasn't). I seemed to be running exactly parallel to what the 705 thought was the course. I guess it was just doing its GPS magic a bit inaccurately for a while.

The sportive was well marked with signs, otherwise, not quite sure what I'd have done!
  • hazychris
    MegaCycle wrote:
    I did a sportive today and followed a .CRS file in my 705. It was actually quite easy, I agree. It did tell me I was off course for a few miles tho (when I wasn't). I seemed to be running exactly parallel to what the 705 thought was the course. I guess it was just doing its GPS magic a bit inaccurately for a while.

The sportive was well marked with signs, otherwise, not quite sure what I'd have done!
    Not the Classic Oxfordshire by any chance? I did that today and had a whale of a time, doing it 30 minutes faster than 2 years ago - well pleased with myself :D

Route markings were fantastic so I hardly needed to use my 705.

Cheers,
    C
  • xbenhanleyx
    xbenhanleyx Posts: 73
    Hi,

Has anyone out there tried the OSM freeware maps? I was about to buy a 705 having saved my pennies and very disappointed to find that the maps that come with it are not so good... Can't afford to buy GPS and maps, so any thoughts on the free ones most appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ben
  • MegaCycle
    hazychris wrote:
    MegaCycle wrote:

Not the Classic Oxfordshire by any chance? I did that today and had a whale of a time, doing it 30 minutes faster than 2 years ago - well pleased with myself :D

Route markings were fantastic so I hardly needed to use my 705.

Cheers,
    C

Nope. Didn't know about that one. I did the Spires and Squires in Northants
  • Kafka\'s Doll
    Kafka\'s Doll Posts: 208
    Hi,

Has anyone out there tried the OSM freeware maps? I was about to buy a 705 having saved my pennies and very disappointed to find that the maps that come with it are not so good... Can't afford to buy GPS and maps, so any thoughts on the free ones most appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ben
    You can't add free maps to the unit, just Garmin ones. You can get City Navigator UK & Ireland for about £40 though.
  • you CAN add free maps to the 605/705. these work

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php ... n/Download
    M_G
  • xbenhanleyx
    xbenhanleyx Posts: 73
    you CAN add free maps to the 605/705. these work

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php ... n/Download

These were the ones I was thinking of. I have seen them mentioned in a few places, but can't find any screenshots or reports on how well they compare with the commercial versions. If anyone has tried them, please let me know how you got on.....

Thanks,
    Ben
  • They aren't as good as the garmin maps. They detail is ok and they look pretty much fine but there's no routing or lock to raod capability, much like the Garmin Topo maps. To be honest they're very good for free and worth a try. If you just want to use them like a paper map rather than a SatNav then they'll be good enough I suspect.
    M_G
  • hazychris
    Just noticed that 2.20 firmware for the 705 is now released - check out the following thread....

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3987

Cheers,
    Chris
  • hazychris
    hazychris wrote:
    Just noticed that 2.20 firmware for the 705 is now released

Firmware seems to have gone on without a hitch - will hopefully try it with a route tomorrow evening - will report back!

Cheers,
    Chris
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    hazychris wrote:
    Just noticed that 2.20 firmware for the 705 is now released - check out the following thread.... http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3987

I notice it says that they "Added more power meter support." -- anyone know which ones? Particularly interested in Powertap .................

found nothing informative on their website .... not that thats anything new.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • spivvy
    spivvy Posts: 51
    I notice it says that they "Added more power meter support." -- anyone know which ones? Particularly interested in Powertap .................

found nothing informative on their website .... not that thats anything new.

http://bikefleet.blogspot.com/2008/05/p ... inues.html
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    Any reports on the performance of the new v2.2 firmware update on the Edge 705?

Does it address the issues Garmin say it does on their download page or raise any new ones?

On PowerTap compatiblity, someone noted Millar was using a 705 in the Giro, so perhaps they've done something to his firmware at least. If v2.2 made this work there would be more fanfare I suspect.

I had understood that ANT and ANT+ were not compatible and PowerTap/Saris were not immediately optimistic about the chances of making them play nicely together.
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    Looking good for Edge 705 support with the Powertap:
    http://www.velonews.com/article/77542/s ... -powertaps
  • Was thinking of buying an Edge 705 but can't find the information I need on their website.

If I brought City Navigator Europe Map NT, would I be able to get directions say from one city to another solely using the device i.e. programming the 705 with start and end points just using the device and will it give turn by turn directions? (without plugin it into a PC)