Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge - 2008

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Toks/Mat - great times. :evil: :)

Mat - good luck in the Fred Whitton. Sounds like you're in good shape for it. Never been Hardknott on two wheels. Thought about it; got to the telephone box at the bottom, looked up, and thought "NFL, not today", so turned around and wheezed my way up onto Birker Fell instead.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I thought a few PBs would be set yesterday as I was flying on the commute home from the city. Unfortunately that commute was after 9pm so no park action for me.

There were loads of cops in the park at the weekend too. They may be onto us.

Guinea, how were the alps?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    JonGinge wrote:
    Guinea, how were the alps?

Excellent :)

I posted a report elswhere - http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12568706
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Guinea, fantastic stuff. Read the thread with a great big grin on my face.
    I've got a trip planned for september but that seems a long way off right now...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JL
    JL Posts: 23
    AndrewBye.................. ...3laps/anti........74kg.......48:45......Apr..........Elite RR
    KingstonWheeler..............3laps/anti........68kg.......51:59......Apr...........3CatRR
    naked_ollie........................3 laps/anti.......75kg.......52:44.....May............
    seabadger........................3 laps/anti.......78kg.......52:51......May...........
    Mookie..............................3 laps/clock....65kg.......52:58......Apr............
    Toks..................................3laps/Anti.......72kg.......53.47.....May............3 CatRR
    MatHammond............... ....3laps/Anti.......85kg.......53.50......May............
    BrianMc............................3 laps/anti.......76kg.......54:29......Apr............
    CJ.....................................3laps/anti........79kg.......54:33......May............
    Damo................................3laps/Anti.......??kg.......56.30......Apr............
    Gradiric............................3laps/Anti.......75kg.......56.40......May............
    Grazer....................... ......3 laps/anti.......78kg.......57.10......May............
    RedGreenBaron...............3laps/anti........70kg.......57:30.....May............
    Bush75.............................3laps/Anti.......78kg.......57.38.....April............
    JonGinge .........................3laps/anti........67Kg......58:15.....May............
    Guinea..............................3laps/anti........84kg.......58:23......May............
    JL.....................................3 laps/anti........75kg.......58:30......May...
    toontra..............................3laps/Anti........71kg......58.41.....May............
    AmateurDC.................... ..3 laps/anti.......88kg.......58:45......Mar............
    Shane p............................3laps/anti........64Kg.......58:45......Feb............
    rolo tumazi........................3laps/anti........faah*......59:25......Apr............
    Onehipwonder.................3laps/Anti........84kg.......60.03....May............
    Statts................................3laps/Anti.......72kg...... .61.36.....Mar............
    daveys..............................3laps anti........75kg.......62.55.....May............
    KMahony ........... ....... .....3laps/Anti........95kg.......63:05......Apr............
    ink169...............................3 laps/anti.......78kg.......63.21.....May............
    Rookie...............................3laps/anti........95kg... ...63:33.....May............
    Les shaw.........................3laps/Anti.......66kg........63:47.....Apr............
    Gussio..............................3laps/Anti........87kg.......63:48......Apr............
    The Emu....................... ...3laps/Anti.........88kg.......63.58.....May............
    Christ-on-a-bike!..............3laps/Anti....... 78kg.......64:30......Feb............
    London-Red.............. ......3laps/anti.........84kg.......64:36......May............
    Hobbes............................3laps/anti.........95kg.......66.00......Mar............
    Expatbore........................3laps/anti.........85kg.......66.35.......May............
    urrrrrrrrrs.........................3laps/anti.......105kg.......66.55......May............
    Greenbank.......................3laps/anti.........79kg......69:08......May............
    bikecarbike......................3laps/anti.........100kg.....71:30......Jan............
    Silverfox 72......................3laps/anti.........80kg.....71:54......May............
    Snakehips........................3laps/anti.........77kg......78.26......May............
    Wackyjack...................... 3 laps/Anti........92kg......79.15......April............

First post on this to record a time of 58:30 which I was surprised and v plsed with. Will give it another go some time without the traffic to see if I can cut something off it.

JL
    John
  • RedGreenBaron
    RedGreenBaron Posts: 232
    Phenemonal Mat. Sounds like you used the time better than the Chertsey club run! You've opened way too big a gap on me now anyway.

And Toks, is that your best time ever? Better than 07, right?

I have some serious work to do.

Welcome to the forum JL - great first attempt.

Nick
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    And Toks, is that your best time ever?
    Nope, I did a short 53 at the back end of 2006 :D .
    Better than 07, right?
    Yeah definitley, I kinda lost my mojo last year. I'd like to give it a go in the evening one day and compare.
    I have some serious work to do.
    Keep going and you'll get up there :D
    And yes well done JL thats an excellent first attempt 8)
  • guinea
    mookie wrote:
    The lack of competition for clockwise is beginning to get me down.

I did 5 or so anti clockwise laps, then I remembered the lack of clockwise competitors to I turned round and put three laps in.

I went all out and got 62:31. Ouch. So you've still got no competition, sorry.

Since it's a long way down on my PB I can't put in on the board - unless we do two entries?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    went out this afternoon - felt quite good and managed to knock 1;45 off my time so was quite happy with that. target is now to go under the hour mark as soon as possible, and maybe aim for 55 mins by the end of the summer. i fear that may be a bit ambitious though?

AndrewBye.................. ...3laps/anti........74kg.......48:45......Apr..........Elite RR
    KingstonWheeler..............3laps/anti........68kg.......51:59......Apr...........3CatRR
    naked_ollie........................3 laps/anti.......75kg.......52:44.....May............
    seabadger........................3 laps/anti.......78kg.......52:51......May...........
    Mookie..............................3 laps/clock....65kg.......52:58......Apr............
    Toks..................................3laps/Anti.......72kg.......53.47.....May............3 CatRR
    MatHammond............... ....3laps/Anti.......85kg.......53.50......May............
    BrianMc............................3 laps/anti.......76kg.......54:29......Apr............
    CJ.....................................3laps/anti........79kg.......54:33......May............
    Damo................................3laps/Anti.......??kg.......56.30......Apr............
    Gradiric............................3laps/Anti.......75kg.......56.40......May............
    Grazer....................... ......3 laps/anti.......78kg.......57.10......May............
    RedGreenBaron...............3laps/anti........70kg.......57:30.....May............
    Bush75.............................3laps/Anti.......78kg.......57.38.....April............
    JonGinge .........................3laps/anti........67Kg......58:15.....May............
    Guinea..............................3laps/anti........84kg.......58:23......May............
    JL.....................................3 laps/anti........75kg.......58:30......May...
    toontra..............................3laps/Anti........71kg......58.41.....May............
    AmateurDC.................... ..3 laps/anti.......88kg.......58:45......Mar............
    Shane p............................3laps/anti........64Kg.......58:45......Feb............
    rolo tumazi........................3laps/anti........faah*......59:25......Apr............
    Onehipwonder.................3laps/Anti........84kg.......60.03....May............
    Statts................................3laps/Anti.......72kg...... .61.36.....Mar............
    Rookie...............................3laps/anti.......95kg........61:46.....May...........
    daveys..............................3laps anti........75kg.......62.55.....May............
    KMahony ........... ....... .....3laps/Anti........95kg.......63:05......Apr............
    ink169...............................3 laps/anti.......78kg.......63.21.....May............
    Les shaw.........................3laps/Anti.......66kg........63:47.....Apr............
    Gussio..............................3laps/Anti........87kg.......63:48......Apr............
    The Emu....................... ...3laps/Anti.........88kg.......63.58.....May............
    Christ-on-a-bike!..............3laps/Anti....... 78kg.......64:30......Feb............
    London-Red.............. ......3laps/anti.........84kg.......64:36......May............
    Hobbes............................3laps/anti.........95kg.......66.00......Mar............
    Expatbore........................3laps/anti.........85kg.......66.35.......May............
    urrrrrrrrrs.........................3laps/anti.......105kg.......66.55......May............
    Greenbank.......................3laps/anti.........79kg......69:08......May............
    bikecarbike......................3laps/anti.........100kg.....71:30......Jan............
    Silverfox 72......................3laps/anti.........80kg.....71:54......May............
    Snakehips........................3laps/anti.........77kg......78.26......May............
    Wackyjack...................... 3 laps/Anti........92kg......79.15......April............
  • cjcp
    Rookie - very doable. Look at Guinea's improvements. Are you training for the London tri?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Anonymous
    cjcp - yep, training for the london triathlon, entered it on a whim before xmas. struggle with my swimming, enjoy the bike and hoping that will be the leg that gives me some respectability and then the run will just be agony!
  • cjcp
    i'm a pants swimmer too (genuinely; not saying that to make you feel better :) ), but the swim is fine - you'll have a wetsuit so that will give you buoyancy; stay out of trouble but try and draft someone to save energy. The run is usually torture for most as it's usually a very warm day. You doing the Tower Bridge bike course or has that changed now?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • naked_ollie
    naked_ollie Posts: 123
    JonGinge wrote:
    There were loads of cops in the park at the weekend too. They may be onto us.

Just back from this week's effort, 8.20am start and 4 seconds outside PB which was entirely due to the Police setting up at the foot of Kingston Hill during my first lap. Second lap they were stopping people, and if anything making things more dangerous by causing drivers to chuck out the anchors immediately on sight of them. Third lap and bikies were warning each other as we passed - so I took it super slow only to find they'd moved on! There was a second trap set up at the foot of Sawyers Hill too.

I've seen them around on a few occasions and always thought it a pretty good thing because of the way some people drive round there - but they definitely seemed to be targeting cyclists today.

A waste of Police time in my book, but also a timely reminder that 20mph is the limit for *everybody* in the park. If you're going faster than that on your bike (and of course we all are at certain points) you owe it to yourself and others to calm it down when other road users are in your way or putting you at risk. PBs are nice, but let's be careful out there as a first priority! I'd hate for anyone here to come a cropper in the process of chasing progress up the table.

If you want to set a good time you're going to have to get up really early from now on...
  • Anonymous
    im not sure il be close enough to anyone to draft them!

im not sure about the course - i did have a quick look online the other day but dont think its been released... im hoping that i will be quicker over 40k on the bike on the day (given that i imagine that it will be flatter than richmond park) - is this realistic? i was thinking maybe 2-5 mins quicker?
  • cjcp
    If it's the same as the 2007 route, and you're racing on Sunday morning, then it's the Tower Bridge turn.

Difficult to compare the courses. There can be quite a bit of traffic during the London tri due to the sheer number of competitors and there are still roundabouts to slow you down a little.

Also you don't want to put the same level of effort in over the 40k that you do for three laps of the Park as you'll have to run afterwards. (A good training session would be 3-4 laps of the Park (either direction) and a lap of the Park afterwards, or do a lap of the Park on the bike and then run from one gate to another and back again and then repeat 2-3 times. I think the run is flat apart from the ramp up to the Excel Centre so the run will be a lot easier than a lap of the Park.)

Have you donea tri before? If not, I'd recommend entering a sprint tri before London. Have you thought about the Thames Turbo Tri series? The next one is on May Bank Holiday Monday. Hampton Pool swim, flat bike out to Sunbury and back, and a 5k run in Bushey Park. Would be a good training session because even though it's shorter, it's more intense, and you'll have experienced transitions before London.

If you're unsure about how you'll feel in open water for the swim, pop down to Heron Lake on a weekend. Loads of triathletes go there for their OW training.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • daveys
    daveys Posts: 6
    A 2 min improvement for me this morning, looks like the 60 min mark is within grasp!! Went out at 8.15, loads of cyclists but fortunately not many cars. i'm agreeing about the cops though, they were out this morning at the bottom of sawyers hill luckily. Do they fine you or is it just a ticking off?

cjcp and rookie me and a mate were thinking of the london tri, maybe one of the shorter sprints as my bad knee cant run for more than 5 miles without pain, but i'm sure its all full by now. Anyway he's doing the swiss iron man in 5 weeks ish so i'll doubt he'll want to come down to my level!!

daveys..............................3laps/anti........75kg.......60.49....May............
    Rookie...............................3laps/anti.......95kg........61:46.....May...........
  • Anonymous
    daveys - good time, i think that will have to be my target for my next trip to the park! iron man - that is ridiculous!

cjcp - first triathlon, doing the olympic basically cos i had a moment of stupidity when booking. got exams in a couple of weeks, then final training push before august - def intending to do 4 laps of the park followed by running a lap - wheres the best place to leave the bike, rucksack with helmet etc?

and will be using tooting lido and a couple of trips to heron lake have been planned for my swimming. cheers for all the advice!
  • cjcp
    the rookie wrote:
    daveys - good time, i think that will have to be my target for my next trip to the park! iron man - that is ridiculous!

cjcp - first triathlon, doing the olympic basically cos i had a moment of stupidity when booking. got exams in a couple of weeks, then final training push before august - def intending to do 4 laps of the park followed by running a lap - wheres the best place to leave the bike, rucksack with helmet etc?

and will be using tooting lido and a couple of trips to heron lake have been planned for my swimming. cheers for all the advice!

Your best bet is to leave them in the car. That's what I've done. Failing that, I've seen bikes chained to the railings at Kingston Gate - might be tri clubs training so you have the relative safety in numbers. Roehampton Gate would be the next best (just as busy), but this still leaves the problem of your helmet, bag and shoes when running. Alternatively, how far do you live from the Park? You could ride there and back and run from home.

Daveys - plenty of other good tris around if you can't do London. Check out the British Triathlon website - it has an Events calendar by area. There are some in Brighton in September that have received good reports.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Yay , just got back from an insect free three-lapper of 74.10 , about half a min less than my best last year IIRC

daveys..............................3laps/anti........75kg.......60.49....May............
    Snakehips........................3laps/anti.........77kg......74.10......May............ fitness
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    Guys, what is the latest you can be cycling round the park? (do they actually shut the gates?)... :?:

Cheers
    Grazer
  • grazer wrote:
    Guys, what is the latest you can be cycling round the park? (do they actually shut the gates?)... :?:

Cheers
    Grazer

I've just got back from the park - they shut the road gates at about 8.15pm ("dusk" according to the Royal Parks website, so it will be getting later over the coming weeks) but they keep the pedestrian gates open - i assume all night?

I arrived around 8pm so had a fantastic clear run at 3 laps with next to no traffic - a lot of cyclists and rollerbladers though! I'm usually too lazy/bored to do 3 hard laps but went for it today due to excellent weather and lack of traffic. I was on my TT bike which obviously helps and clocked 49:25. Still room for improvement though as i was about 5-6bpm below my 25mile TTrace pace. Watch out Andy :wink:

Superlightweight...............3laps/anti........81kg.......49:25......May.........2catRR / TTer.
    Snakehips........................3laps/anti.........77kg......74.10......May............ fitness
  • guinea
    The times are getting later and later as the nights get longer. However, after the main gates are fully closed at around 9pm you can still leave through the pedestrian gates.

Be aware though, I have found these gates locked too and had to go searching for another exit.

I reckon you're safe up to an hour after dark.
  • Toks

Name................................Direction.........Mass.......Time.....Month......T.O.R.

Superlightweight...............3laps/anti........81kg.......49:25......May.........2catRR / TTer.

Wow things are really hotting up. The top two guys have blasted around on their TT bikes. Will anyone else break 50 minutes? Or indeed is anyone else up for a 50.??; 55.??;62.??; 67.?? or 72.?? :D:D Its all getting far too exciting I better get off to work :(
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Done my first 3 laps of the year so thought I'd better put them on here. Will be looking for some good increases over the next couple of months...

Name................................Direction.........Mass.......Time.....Month......T.O.R.
    Guinea..............................3laps/anti........84kg.......58:23......May..........
    JL.....................................3 laps/anti........75kg.......58:30......May..........
    RichA...............................3laps/anti.........95kg.......66.45.......May............Sportives
    Rich
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    guinea wrote:
    Be aware though, I have found these gates locked too and had to go searching for another exit.

The only times I've ever seen the pedestrian gates locked are during the deer culls that happen a couple of times a year. But then they put up signs all over the place saying the pedestrian gates will be locked at 8pm. I've been in/out of the park through the pedestrian gates way past midnight with no problems.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Guinea..............................3laps/anti........84kg.......58:23......May..........
    JL.....................................3 laps/anti........75kg.......58:30......May..........
    Alan Sherman...................3 laps/clock....82kg........59:21.....May...........3rd cat RR
    RichA...............................3laps/anti.........95kg.......66.45.......May............Sportives

first entry for me, clockwise (rare) and a good first attempt managing to get under the hour.
  • matthew.t
    matthew.t Posts: 5
    Matthew.t...........................3laps/Anti.......71kg.......54.12......May...........
    Alan Sherman...................3 laps/clock....82kg........59:21.....May...........3rd cat RR

first timed attempt.
  • ink169
    ink169 Posts: 5
    Matthew.t...........................3laps/Anti.......71kg.......54.12......May...........
    ink169...............................3 laps/anti.......77kg.......60.04.....May............ WW

Woopee! almost 6 minutes off my 1st attempt 4 weeks ago. At the door of the holy 'power hour' now.. Perfect conditions.. 5:30 am.. no wind.. no cars, just some suicidal bunny rabbits as distraction! Thanks to RedGreenBaron and Paulo Chipplolinki for inspiration :D
  • Toks
    Well done ink 169. Lets hope some more Weekend Warrior's :wink: are up for the challenge.
  • damo_d_b
    damo_d_b Posts: 18
    Damo................................3laps/Anti.......lightkg......55.10.....May............4thCatRR
    ink169...............................3 laps/anti.......77kg.......60.04.....May............ WW

Managed to knock 1min 20 off my previous PB, but still not able to move up the table! The usual Saturday morning traffic delays cost me some time so should be able to break the 55min mark on a clearer run.