Help For Heroes Snowdon MTB Challenge - Saturday 26th April

Comments

• NEILHEAD
    NEILHEAD Posts: 435
    Has anyone reccomended a Boozer for a pre ride pint on the Friday yet :P
    Never trust a man with facial hair.

http://neilhead.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike/
  • Not heard anything yet mate.

I'm hoping one of the happy campers that will be in the area Friday afternoon will recce a decent one for us all to get to before and after the event.
    It's all good fun until someone loses a bollock.

2010 Orange Crush
  • NEILHEAD
    Im being a southern poof and have booked in to a B&b but i do have a long drive :D

• NEILHEAD
    P.s. can you hold a can of beer so i can recognise you :lol:

• xcwanabe
    xcwanabe Posts: 11
    Not heard anything yet mate.

I'm hoping one of the happy campers that will be in the area Friday afternoon will recce a decent one for us all to get to before and after the event.

If we must! I was intending to be tucked up with a good book and cup of coco by nine but in the interest of "the team" I'll make sure some of us go out and see whats around. At least if we cash and burn on the way up we'll have an excuse.

NEILHEAD:

you said it! we're head up from Cornwall and are booked in the campsite :D
    1993 Dawes Tandem
    2009 Epic Marathon
    2007 giant XTC Carbon
    2005 Specialized Allez
    2008 Sepc Langster
    2008 Lidls unicycle.
  • NEILHEAD
    Hi all, Looking forward to tommorow and sat :D Im staying in a b&b but would like to meet up at the campsite for a quick bevvy. What is the Address?
    See you all on Fri/Sat and good luck to all :wink:

• NEILHEAD
    Once again FTASB a big thanks for yesterday i had one of my hardest but most rewarding rides ever :D neilhead.

pinkbike.com/album/snowdon/

Ive put a few piccies here

• NEILHEAD
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well how did it go?
    I was at Llandegla again yesterday, and had excellent weather, but when I drove past Snowdon today, it was completely shrouded in fog!
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    I am gutted to have missed this. Any plans to do it again next year? or later this year?

And well done to those who did it, top effort and for a worthy cause!

:D
  • NEILHEAD
    Well how did it go?
    I was at Llandegla again yesterday, and had excellent weather, but when I drove past Snowdon today, it was completely shrouded in fog!

Bloody AMAZING wales is 8) .It was a very long way to go 5 hrs drive but im defo going again :D

• Anonymous
    hehe, wales really is good! Sometimes I forget!
    I went for a drive today, trying to scope out a new route along the mountains, but it was far, far, far, far, far too foggy to find anything sensible.
    Then, half an hour after I got home, beaming sunshine! Madness!
  • What a fantastic day :D , apart from the weather :shock: . You were in the clouds from just after the Halfway-House upwards and there was a 'slight breeze' :wink: .

A very good turnout considering, with over 40 riders turning up. Thanks to all those who did turn up.

I had a few of dramas myself - firstly my front brake fell off on the way up :oops:, i bashed my rear mech on a rock at the start of the descent and bent the hanger :oops: and then to round it all off i blew a tube just before you reach the tarmac at the bottom!

There was a rumour of someone being literally blown off their bike and doing a nice face plant into the side of the mountain, hope you are ok whoever you are.

Very positive feedback so far, sounds like everyone had a good time.

A few more pics from the day - Clicky Linky

We should have a better idea of the total amount raised in about a week or so, i'll post it on here as soon as i can.

Cheers

FTASB

2010 Orange Crush
  • Anonymous
    glad to hear you're all back safe!
  • NEILHEAD
    I saw it, he was blown hard into a big rock by the wind and did a headstand (with the bike) then fell about FIFTEEN FOOT down the cliff. Luckily he was only bruised and not broken but boy did it look cool.
    I also would like to wish him the best and hope hes ok.
    How about making this an Annual forum bike fest :?:

• RZASKAR
    RZASKAR Posts: 60
    Thanks for a great day, really enjoyed it, just waiting for the sponsership money to come in before i add it to the fund. Like the idea of making it an annual event, i would defo do it again.
    Also thanks to the lady with the cake at the finish, yum.
  • SimonEP
    SimonEP Posts: 2
    Not sure if the impressive fall was mine but I was the one that managed to go over the handlebars just after starting the descent from the summit, thankfully the bike is fine and I'm just a little bruised.
    Would have been nice to get some in action shots.

I'd also like to add my thanks for the day, great to meet other riders and I definitely found it a challenging trek.
  • Six Four
    Six Four Posts: 3
    :D well what can i say what a fantastic event. Tough but fun, count me in for next year if your doing it again. Dont think the wife will want to camp next year hotel is the only way to do it. If Jane the cake reads this sam says hi and she really enjoyed your company. Gathering the sponsor money now.
  • NEILHEAD
    b&b was only £20

• Nick and everyone,

Thanks for a great ride even if it was a bit windy and misty at the top :D its something i would do again so count me in for the next one a and thanks for the company on the way up Neil hope you had a good night out? :D
  • Anonymous
    do any of you guys fancy trying it again when summer comes?
  • You might have a problem with that the Bike ban comes in on Thursday.

Voluntary bike ban: Please keep off the Snowdon bridleways (Llanberis Path, Rhyd Ddu Path, Ranger Path) between 10am and 5pm from 1 May to 30 September.
  • Anonymous
    Well, you don;t have to stick strictly to the waymarked routes do you?
    I've also seen in the past, that people don;t generally mind you riding UP before 5pm - although that might be different if there was around 40 people!
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    I have monitored this since it was first put on, and have to admit that snowdon seemed like quite an intimidating ride for a relative newbie, so i decided not to do it!! Firstly I'm pretty gutted that I didn't go, especially as from the pic's there seemed to be a lot of walking on the way up!! Secondly, I like the idea of an annual event on the last weekend of April, right before the ban kicks in, if that can be done?

Well done to everyone who took part, and maybe see you next year?

Cambo
    You might have a problem with that the Bike ban comes in on Thursday.

Voluntary bike ban: Please keep off the Snowdon bridleways (Llanberis Path, Rhyd Ddu Path, Ranger Path) between 10am and 5pm from 1 May to 30 September.

night ride!

it looks like an awesome ride from the photos :)

well done.
  • NEILHEAD
    Any time just after 30th of September and ill defo do it again :D , in fact i AM going to do it again and THIS year :wink: . Camping maybe if in september it should still be ok weather :D

• I didn't realise that the ride would be so popular :? .

I'm not sure my body would take another go at it this year :wink: but i like the idea of it being a bit of an annual get together. I also think having it at the end of April, before the voluntary restrictions kick in, is an ideal time to do it.

For the noobs - i don't have a vast 'wealth' of MTBing experience myself. The group that did it this year was of very mixed ability. While i was sipping hot tea from my flask and trying to find my lungs at the halfway-house there were people flying past and disappearing over the next ridge in the space of a few minutes. I think my path crossed with the first batch doing the descent when i was about 200m from the summit.

For me, the ascent was probably 20% riding and 80% pushing the bike up. The descent was at least 90% on the bike. My teeth were freezing by the time i'd got back to the bottom, due to the huge grin i had on my face all the way down :D .

If enough people are interested then i don't see any reason why we shouldn't have another go at it.

2010 Orange Crush
  • Anonymous
    I couldn;t make it this time, but I'd love to do this ride with you guys, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that bilkers aren't allowed to play on the mountain, so it would be a good feeling to be amongst a large group of riders!
  • Well, it's just over a month since we did the event so I think now is a good time to finalise our fundraising total.

Drum roll please...

The grand total that has been raised by this event is £3387.46.

Not a bad effort at all! :D

Thanks again to everyone that took part in the event, and for contributing to the final total by raising money through sponsorship.

Cheers

FTASB

2010 Orange Crush
  • xcwanabe
    xcwanabe Posts: 11
    Well, it's just over a month since we did the event so I think now is a good time to finalise our fundraising total.

Drum roll please...

The grand total that has been raised by this event is £3387.46.

Not a bad effort at all! :D

Thanks again to everyone that took part in the event, and for contributing to the final total by raising money through sponsorship.

Cheers

FTASB

Add another £200+ to that total.

I know I know you asked for amounts. I have been meaning to get the few pictures I took up loaded but you know how it is, work, Newnham 90, Ply Volksfest, sleep, dead computer, dog ate my sponsor form!

Thanks for orgainsing it all, would I do it agian, not sure, perhaps if we orgainsd a loop rather than up and back.

It was good to see so varied a spread of riders completing the cahllenge.

I promise I'll have the pictures by next year!

And to all those who didn't get cake, ride faster next year :o or pray for better weather :lol:
    1993 Dawes Tandem
    2009 Epic Marathon
    2007 giant XTC Carbon
    2005 Specialized Allez
    2008 Sepc Langster
    2008 Lidls unicycle.