Help For Heroes Snowdon MTB Challenge - Saturday 26th April

fasterthanaspeedingbullet
edited July 2008 in MTB rides
On Saturday 26th April 2008, we intend to ascend / descend Mount Snowdon by mountain bike, in order to raise funds and support for Help For Heroes.

At 1,085 m (3,560 ft), Mount Snowdon in Gwynedd, Wales, is the highest mountain in Wales and the highest British mountain south of the Scottish Highlands.

The route we will be using for the event is the Llanberis Path. The Llanberis Path leads from the small town of Llanberis, approximately along the course of the Snowdon Mountain Railway. This is one of the longer routes (8 miles return), although as the slope is mostly comparatively shallow, it is considered to be the best route to access the summit by mountain bike.

Who are 'Help For Heroes'?

Help for Heroes supports our wounded. Help for Heroes provides practical direct support to those servicemen and women wounded in the line of duty in the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Charity Registration No 1120920

"What is H4H all about? It’s about the blokes. It’s about Derri, a rugby player who has lost both his legs, it about Carl whose jaw is wired up so he has been drinking through a straw. It’s about Richard who was handed a mobile phone as he lay on the stretcher so he could say goodbye to his wife. It is about Ben, it's about Steven and Andy and Mark, it's about them all. They are just blokes but they are our blokes; they are our heroes. We want to help our heroes."
Bryn Parry, Appeal Chairman

www.helpforheroes.org.uk

The event will start from the (free) lakeside car park in Llanberis, just off the A4086, at 0830 hrs (clicky linky for map - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... =addr&om=1)

If you wish to sponsor us, our online fund raising page can be found at - http://www.justgiving.com/hfhsnowdonmtbchallenge

This is not an exclusive event, if you want to join us then you are more than welcome! The more riders we get, the more funds and support we can raise for Help For Heroes. Don't forget to bring some cake for the summit picnic. :wink:

Please PM me if you do want to take part, so i can get an idea of the number of riders we can expect.

Cheers

FTASB

More information:

Bikefax i-guide (downloadable route guide, costs £1) -
https://shop.bike-fax.com/catalog/produ ... 51f053e0a3

Route guide from Snowdonia National Park website -
http://www.eryri-npa.co.uk/page/index.p ... contrast=1
It's all good fun until someone loses a bollock.

2010 Orange Crush

Comments

• Fantastic, I've wanted to do Snowdon for a while, and if there's a way I can help charitys at the same time, even better!

Count me in.
    "I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I ONLY COME ONCE."
  • mikebert4 wrote:
    Fantastic, I've wanted to do Snowdon for a while, and if there's a way I can help charitys at the same time, even better!

Count me in.

Nice one! :D

2010 Orange Crush
  • Sounds like a great idea. Help for Heroes is a brilliant cause (I’m a keen supporter) and I’ve been looking for an excuse to ride up Snowdon for a long time so I’m in as well. A few mates have already expressed interest so should be a good trip.

Is there a base limit of sponsorship that has to be exceeded to qualify for entry? How many people are you expecting to get involved?

Good work!
  • Morty_Oxon wrote:
    Sounds like a great idea. Help for Heroes is a brilliant cause (I’m a keen supporter) and I’ve been looking for an excuse to ride up Snowdon for a long time so I’m in as well. A few mates have already expressed interest so should be a good trip.

Is there a base limit of sponsorship that has to be exceeded to qualify for entry? How many people are you expecting to get involved?

Good work!

Thanks for your interest 8)

There is no base limit of sponsorship or any kind of entry requirements. Simply put, if you fancy joining in and having laugh with a group of like-minded people, with a view to raising some cash for a worthwhile cause then all you have to do is be on that car park in Llanberis at 0830 on the day!

The fundraising page that i have set up on JustGiving is not for my exclusive use, if you want to use that page to raise money then you are most welcome.

At the moment we are looking at around 10 riders so far, so spread the word! Everyone welcome! :D

2010 Orange Crush
  • I'll join in, as will a couple of my mates, and I'll try and get more.
  • NEILHEAD
    NEILHEAD Posts: 435
    Hello i quite fancy this ride any chance i can tag along. Im an ex serviceman and think its a great cause.
    Never trust a man with facial hair.

http://neilhead.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike/
  • :P Thanks NEILHEAD & MIKERUSH, you are very welcome to join us :P

At present my ability to participate in this event has been hampered slightly due to some thieving scumbag helping themselves to my bike over the weekend, see http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12555279 :evil:

Got to sort out the insurance claim today :x

2010 Orange Crush
  • NEILHEAD
    Bring back hanging (but only for peodophiles and bike thieves :twisted: )
    Let me know how you get on.I am up for it just need some info.

• NEILHEAD wrote:
    Bring back hanging (but only for peodophiles and bike thieves :twisted: )
    Let me know how you get on.I am up for it just need some info.

All the info you will ever need is in my first post! :D

Basically -

Date - Saturday 26th April 2008

Start Time - 0830hrs

Start Location - The event will start from the (free) lakeside car park in Llanberis, just off the A4086 (scroll to top for a link to a map)

There are also links to route maps in my first post as well.

This is not an 'organised' event as such. We rode Snowdon at the same time last year and had an awesome day out. We planned to do it again this year anywhere but thought why not try and raise some money for a good cause while we're at it.

If anyone else fancies giving it a go as well then join us, everyone is welcome and it's a fantastic day out! :D

If, like us, you wish to raise money by doing it then point people in the direction of our online fund raising page - http://www.justgiving.com/hfhsnowdonmtbchallenge

Let me know if you need any more info.

2010 Orange Crush
  • NEILHEAD
    I was after more specific info i.e. reccomended kit,clothing and the likes really ive not rode the area before.

• NEILHEAD wrote:
    I was after more specific info i.e. reccomended kit,clothing and the likes really ive not rode the area before.

Sorry :oops:

Righto, the weather wasn't too bad at the end of April last year, in fact it was quite warmish. We turned up in shorts, t-shirt and a light fleece (the fleece came off quite soon but you will need it a again at the summit, it's a tad windy up there). Obviously, don't bother turning up without a helmet!

Last time It took us 4 1/2 hours to get to the summit. Yes, we are not the fittest people you will ever meet but my mate is really into photography so we had lots of photo stops :D . It took us 20 minutes to get down! :shock:

I took my Camelbak H.A.W.G. and filled it with the following -
    3l water
    2 x spare inner tubes
    Puncture repair kit
    Tyre levers
    Pump
    First aid kit, including survival bag, whistle, etc
    Mobile phone
    Camera
    OS Map & BikeFax route guide
    Large flask of coffee!
    Sandwiches, snacks, etc
    Spare cash

Also also had 2 x water bottles on my bike. The day turned out to be a scorcher and we ended up drinking about 5l of water each!

The route itself isn't too bad ( :shock: ). There are some sections on the way up that are simply too steep to ride, and some where we had to shoulder the bikes over some large rocks, other than that then it's a steady(ish) gradient all the way.

The summit can get very crowded, and cold. Put your fleece back on and a woolly hat for the summit picnic. If you find a spot out of the wind then it can be really pleasant. If you get a good weather day then the views are amazing. I've got some pics at home, i'll try and post them soon.

They way down is steep and fast! Make sure your brakes are working because they'll be on all the way down! Maybe only 1 or 2 sections that aren't rideable.

The walkers are generally supportive. On the way up they think you are mad and give you some kind words to help you on your way. On the way down you need to be polite and give them lots of warning of your presence.

That's about all i can think of at the moment. Let me know if i've missed anything.

2010 Orange Crush
  • NEILHEAD
    Cheers im already excited, And i never ever ride without helmet and gloves,Im too old to mend quickly and am self employed.Id really like to see the pictures from last year :D

• fasterthanaspeedingbullet
    edited January 2008
    NEILHEAD wrote:
    Cheers im already excited, And i never ever ride without helmet and gloves,Im too old to mend quickly and am self employed.Id really like to see the pictures from last year :D

As promised...

Snowdon Ride Photos :D

2010 Orange Crush
  • NEILHEAD
    Looks GREAT dose that train go to the top too as im thinking of bringing the wife and kids? to make a proper weekend of it.

• NEILHEAD wrote:
    Looks GREAT dose that train go to the top too as im thinking of bringing the wife and kids? to make a proper weekend of it.

The train doesn't go all the way up at the moment as they are building a new station & visitor center at the summit. I think it's due to be completed by the summer this year.

More details here - www.snowdonrailway.co.uk

and here - Snowdon Summit Blog

2010 Orange Crush
  • unfortunately I now have a wedding to attend on the 26th :(

I will however get myself and some oppo's up Snowdon to raise some money for H4H, I'll post details when I sort it out, if any other psycho's want to join me ;)
  • NEILHEAD
    if i enjoy it in april as much as i think i will and depending on the dates i might be in :D

• We've now managed to get the event listed on the Help For Heroes website, see clicky linky below -

Help For Heroes

Does that mean we actually have to do it now? :shock:

2010 Orange Crush
  • NEILHEAD
    We've now managed to get the event listed on the Help For Heroes website, see clicky linky below -

Help For Heroes

Does that mean we actually have to do it now? :shock:

COOL 8) How can i get sponsers to donate?? is there a site for all of us to use?

• Yep, use this one -

JustGiving.com - Help For Heroes Snowdon MTB Challenge

I set it up for the event, not for my own personal use.

All donations go straight to Help For Heroes.

We're only up to £80 at the moment so spread the word :wink:

2010 Orange Crush
  • HI There,

I'm interested in riding up (& of course down) Snowdon.

I'm not the fastest rider in the world, and my fitness took a dive last month when I picked up some malingering lurgy, but I'm easing my way back to some level of fitness, and this would be a good target to aim for.

Can I join in?
  • Hootess wrote:
    HI There,

I'm interested in riding up (& of course down) Snowdon.

I'm not the fastest rider in the world, and my fitness took a dive last month when I picked up some malingering lurgy, but I'm easing my way back to some level of fitness, and this would be a good target to aim for.

Can I join in?

Of course you can join in :D

And i wouldn't worry about the fitness side of life. I'm a big fella myself and managed to do it in a reasonable time and without picking up any injuries :lol:

We're in the process of putting together an entry form so please PM me your email address so i can send you one once it has been finalised.

2010 Orange Crush
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi m8
    Yeah count me in and 3 of my friends as we are serving soldiers. it shouild be a good day! do you need to exact no's of people attending or is it just the case of turning up on the day.....
    cheers paul
  • Hi m8
    Yeah count me in and 3 of my friends as we are serving soldiers. it shouild be a good day! do you need to exact no's of people attending or is it just the case of turning up on the day.....
    cheers paul

Nice one, glad to have you on board! :D

Yep, i need to start accounting for numbers so please PM me your email address, and the email addresses of the others who are also up for it. I've got some more info that i can send you as well.

Cheers

FTASB

2010 Orange Crush
  • :P BUMP :P

The number of riders and the amount of sponsorship is steadily increasing but...

WE NEED MORE! :lol:

Come on, who else fancies giving it a go? It's not impossible and it's a damn good day out. Raise a bit of cash for a worthy cause while you're doing it!

2010 Orange Crush
  • xcwanabe
    xcwanabe Posts: 11
    We're in and the wife is on standby to bake summit buns. :D
    NEILHEAD wrote:

Jane's planning on taking the train up and could probably do with help carrying all the cake.
    We're booked into http://www.campinginllanberis.com/ £4 per person per night for the friday Saturday.

Going to be "emotional!"
    1993 Dawes Tandem
    2009 Epic Marathon
    2007 giant XTC Carbon
    2005 Specialized Allez
    2008 Sepc Langster
    2008 Lidls unicycle.
  • I'd love to see you wife's buns :lol:

I'll get my coat...

We're up to 27 confirmed riders now, should be an awesome day out. If anyone else fancies joining us then give me a shout, it's not too late!

The donations are still coming in and the total is just above the £350 mark at the moment, i was hoping we'd be nearer the £500 mark by now. If you have a spare fiver in your pocket then why not send it in and add it to our total? :wink:

2010 Orange Crush
  • xcwanabe
    I'd love to see you wife's buns :lol:

I'll get my coat...

We're up to 27 confirmed riders now, should be an awesome day out. If anyone else fancies joining us then give me a shout, it's not too late!

The donations are still coming in and the total is just above the £350 mark at the moment, i was hoping we'd be nearer the £500 mark by now. If you have a spare fiver in your pocket then why not send it in and add it to our total? :wink:

err no you don't! :mrgreen: I have to there's no reason why you should have to! :lol:

Started collecting at work. Don't worry we'll raise a good amount for this excellent charity.
    1993 Dawes Tandem
    2009 Epic Marathon
    2007 giant XTC Carbon
    2005 Specialized Allez
    2008 Sepc Langster
    2008 Lidls unicycle.
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    Oh this looks good!!

I only recently got back into MTB'ing (10 years off), and always wanted to do this!

Now if only I could convince a couple of friends to do it too!!!

I think I could convince them to descend, but probably not ascend...

Can you take your bike to the top on the train? If I told them they could, they would defo do this...

I would be ascending aswell as descending, I like a challenge!
  • xcwanabe
    Milkie wrote:
    Oh this looks good!!

I only recently got back into MTB'ing (10 years off), and always wanted to do this!

Now if only I could convince a couple of friends to do it too!!!

I think I could convince them to descend, but probably not ascend...

Can you take your bike to the top on the train? If I told them they could, they would defo do this...

I would be ascending aswell as descending, I like a challenge!

my suggestion............. Lie! :twisted:
    Get them to the start under the false assumption that they will get a "ride" up then the peer pressure of us lot will give them no alternative but to join us on the way up! :wink:

Rob
    1993 Dawes Tandem
    2009 Epic Marathon
    2007 giant XTC Carbon
    2005 Specialized Allez
    2008 Sepc Langster
    2008 Lidls unicycle.