Help For Heroes Snowdon MTB Challenge - Saturday 26th April

Comments

• Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    my suggestion............. Lie! Twisted Evil
    Get them to the start under the false assumption that they will get a "ride" up then the peer pressure of us lot will give them no alternative but to join us on the way up! Wink

Rob

Shhhh, thats my plan!!! Still going to take some convincing though!!!
  • I wouldn't worry about it, the ascent is really not that hard. Just wait until you see me & my mate, if we can do it then it's possible for anyone to do it :lol:

It's not a race you know, you can take as long as you want to get to the top!

Just make sure your brakes are in good working order because they'll be on for most of the way down (as you're hanging on for your life) :lol:

MILKIE - send me your email address and i'll email the entry form and all the details.
    It's all good fun until someone loses a bollock.

2010 Orange Crush
  • NEILHEAD
    NEILHEAD Posts: 435
    when do you need entry form back by? sorry i have been so busy lately :oops:
    Never trust a man with facial hair.

http://neilhead.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike/
  • NEILHEAD wrote:
    when do you need entry form back by? sorry i have been so busy lately :oops:

Plenty of time yet mate, as long as i get it about a week before the event so i can sort out my admin.

2010 Orange Crush
  • NEILHEAD
    BTW theres now two of us coming :D

• Six Four
    Six Four Posts: 3
    I;m coming, this sounds like great fun and it;s all for a really good cause. I;m an ex squaddie and this seems like a really good idea, I;ve already started getting sponsors. See you all on the car park. :lol:
  • NEILHEAD
    WOW how manys that now mr fasterthanaspeedingbullet? p.s. whats your real name? :D

• NEILHEAD wrote:
    WOW how manys that now mr fasterthanaspeedingbullet? p.s. whats your real name? :D

Sorry for the late reply, just come back from two weeks in the sun 8)

We're up to 30 confirmed riders now :P

Why do you want to know my name, do you want to send me some flowers or something :shock: It's Nick, red roses will do...

SIX FOUR - Have i had a completed entry form back from you?

2010 Orange Crush
  • NEILHEAD
    HaHa Nick i just didnt want to turn up shouting FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET at the carpark. What with the lycra and excitment i dont want to be mistaken as superman :oops:
    Although its more like cooperman :D

• NEILHEAD
    btw ill post entry forms this week.I cant remember did you put an address to send them to?

• Don't worry mate, i'm going to be revealing our identities in an email a bit nearer the time!

Yep, my address is on the bottom of the entry form (and my name!), send it to me as soon as you can please.

Cheers

FTASB

2010 Orange Crush
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good effort guys.
    I totally applaud your efforts, and the charity.
    but there's one thing that bugs me... how do you intend to ride up the last near-vertical scree slope?

[personal opinion] also, please, for the love of your god(s) don't all park on the llanberis pass. Try to remember that us local folk need to use that road, and turning it into a one-way traffic jam is incredibly annoying :evil: .[/personal opinion]
  • Good effort guys.
    but there's one thing that bugs me... how do you intend to ride up the last near-vertical scree slope?

[personal opinion] also, please, for the love of your god(s) don't all park on the llanberis pass. Try to remember that us local folk need to use that road, and turning it into a one-way traffic jam is incredibly annoying :evil: .[/personal opinion]

Cheers mate! :D

With regard to the last bit before the summit, i wouldn't say it was near-vertical, but i must admit that we did get off and walk / push / crawl that bit when we did it last year! :oops:

I know what you mean about the traffic trying to get into that car park but i am hoping we won't be causing that much trouble. We're setting off at 0830 so i'd say the majority of us will be turning up from 0730 onwards, at that time there is little or no traffic. The car park is more than big enough to cope with the amount of people who have signed up to do it. Going on the timings from when we did it last year, we should be back at the car park by 1300 at the latest, at which time it will be busy so if we all clear off pronto then, again, hopefully we won't be causing too much trouble. My aim is not to get on the wrong side of the locals! If you know of other places people could park, then please could you post details of them on here? The only other one i can think of is opposite the mountain railway station, i think you have to pay for it as well.

Fancy joining us?

Can you recommend a good pub for a post-ride beer?

2010 Orange Crush
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I might join you, I'll have to check my work bookings before I can confirm, and sort out some sort of bike, mine loops at any heavily inclined uphill!

Not sure about pubs, I don;t tend to drink in llanberis much, although I can heartily suggest that you could grab a mountain of food and a pint of tea at Pete's Eats! definitely not recommended for those tapas-types!

As for parking, I know a place you could all park, although I'm not sure of it's legality. There's a bloke who runs a shop at this place who hates mountain bikers, I mean REALLY hates. He's pi**ed me off once too often, and I'd love to see his face if his precious car-park was filled completely by mountain bikers! I'll have a think before telling you where it is though!
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    Good effort guys.

I think the plan is for them to use the carpark at the lake although there is some extra (free.) parking in a layby if you continue out of Llanberis a mile or so on the right.

I too wouldn't be happy if people were parking at the side of the pass as I like to use it as my personal racetrack at the weekends. :P
  • Six Four
    Six Four Posts: 3
    is there going to be a bit of a social gathering after? and is anyone camping over for the weekend as im bringing the wife with me :?:
  • NEILHEAD
    Ill stop for a quick pint but i have an eighteenth birthday party for my sister-in-law that evening then a club so a little tight for time

• Sounds like a good idea to me. I was going to suggest it but i don't know any decent pubs in the area that we could all meet up at.

In reality though, we aren't all going to be finishing at the same time. But that's not a bad thing, it just means some of us will have more time in the pub than others :lol:

2010 Orange Crush
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    count me in. Just managed to get cover in work. looking forward to it!

You have a PM. :wink:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20 wrote:
    count me in. Just managed to get cover in work. looking forward to it!

You have a PM. :wink:

Just replied :wink:

We're up to nearly 40 riders now, should be a good one :P

2010 Orange Crush
  • NEILHEAD
    I have family sponsors of £160 and a few people that have said they will sponser in your web link :D

BTW is there anywhere reccomended for a B&B nearby for the friday night?

• NEILHEAD wrote:

Don't know about a B&B mate but a few of the other riders are camping here -

Mrs. F Davies, Llwyn Celyn Bach, Ceunant Street, LLANBERIS, Caernarfon, LL55 4SR.
    Tel: 01286 870923
    Mobile: 07877376423
    Email: daviesllanberis@aol.com

2010 Orange Crush
  • NEILHEAD
    NEILHEAD wrote:

Don't know about a B&B mate but a few of the other riders are camping here -

Mrs. F Davies, Llwyn Celyn Bach, Ceunant Street, LLANBERIS, Caernarfon, LL55 4SR.
    Tel: 01286 870923
    Mobile: 07877376423
    Email: daviesllanberis@aol.com

Cheers we booked in to a b&b on the friday but have to finish work and drive SIX hours :shock: so might get a nightcap in before bed :( but at least we will be ready for the morning :D IM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT :D:D:D
    What will the best practice be for monies raised? I can write a cheqaue for you on the day and chase my sponsors or do it on the heros webpage. either is fine for me :D

• NEILHEAD wrote:
    Cheers we booked in to a b&b on the friday but have to finish work and drive SIX hours :shock: so might get a nightcap in before bed :( but at least we will be ready for the morning :D IM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT :D:D:D
    What will the best practice be for monies raised? I can write a cheqaue for you on the day and chase my sponsors or do it on the heros webpage. either is fine for me :D

Whatever is easiest for you mate. You can either add your total to the JustGiving online fundraising page, or write a cheque out (made payable to HELP FOR HEROES). No need to give it me on the day though.

Yep, really looking forward to it now :D

2010 Orange Crush
  • Count myself and two mates in - we will make donations to the site and forward links to everyman and his dog !!!!

I heard about ride from Jason at Deepstream in Bangor.

I live in Wettenhall so nearly neighbours !!!!!

Will be good training for the Transrockies (dont ask !!!!)

Cheers

Martin
  • NEILHEAD
    FTASB whats the rough running total so far :?:

• Count myself and two mates in - we will make donations to the site and forward links to everyman and his dog !!!!

I heard about ride from Jason at Deepstream in Bangor.

I live in Wettenhall so nearly neighbours !!!!!

Will be good training for the Transrockies (dont ask !!!!)

Cheers

Martin

Nice one! :D

Can you please PM me your all of your email addresses so i can send you the entry form and the rest of the info about the event?

Cheers

FTASB

2010 Orange Crush
  • NEILHEAD wrote:
    FTASB whats the rough running total so far :?:

It's not looking too bad at all at the moment. :D

The main JustGiving page is up to £891.28 at the moment but not all of the riders are using it. Some have created their own online fundraising pages and some are using the good old-fashioned method of sponsorship form and menace. :shock: The amounts raised by these other methods will come in after the event.

We also have a possibility of a couple of large donations - one of the riders might be able to get a donation of up to £1000 from a local school and my mate works for Barclays who have said they might be able to match the grand total (subject to their limits)!

2010 Orange Crush
  • xcwanabe
    xcwanabe Posts: 11
    Hoping to top £300 down here, found the sponsor form more popular! We've not had electric long down here so On line sponsorship is just that bit too far.

Looks like there'll be quite a bike show at the campsite over the weekend. :shock:

Still don't know what to ride. My carbon hardtail or try to borrow an epic or Stumpy! Nice to have choices!
    1993 Dawes Tandem
    2009 Epic Marathon
    2007 giant XTC Carbon
    2005 Specialized Allez
    2008 Sepc Langster
    2008 Lidls unicycle.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    XCWANABE,

I would try and get the full susser if i was you. I rode it a few weeks back and was in two minds wether to use my carbon HT or my full sus. I was thinking, HT for the easy climb but full sus for the rapid rocky decent. I went with the full sus option in the end and glad I did.

Ive gone for the sponsor form option too. Ive dotted a few forms in different departments in work and racking up the cash. Ive found that most wont log on and donate, they cant get away from the pressure of the sponsor form!!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.