Old Git On A Bike battles with the wind (2000 miles ridden)

Comments

• mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    Self indulgent nonsense. I am the same age as you but I don't want a medal for it.
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    mrwibble wrote:
    Self indulgent nonsense. I am the same age as you but I don't want a medal for it.

Did someone get out of bed the wrong side this morning :?: :? :roll:
  • mrwibble
    Not really, there are lots of other people to do things far more worthy of praise but don't want continual approval for their efforts.
  • Old Git On A Bike
    Old Git On A Bike Posts: 317
    edited April 2008
    @ MrWibble, I couldn't care less about praise, nor do I need continual approval for my efforts, as you put it, I get all the self approval I need from getting out on my bike and riding, this is simply my riding log, and by putting it online, it spurs me on, as I would be embarrassed if I failed in front of people, if you don't like it, don't read it, I generally don't read things on the internet that I don't like, simple, huh :roll:

I was spurred on to get back on a bike and get fit by reading this inspiring topic on another site, how shameful that they should post that on the internet, they better watch out before they get praise and approval :roll::

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=228767

I then saw this topic on Bike Radar when I joined, which also inspired me, maybe he shouldn't have posted his log and thoughts either? I for one am glad he did, I'm sure he didn't do it for praise either!:

http://www.bikeradar.com/beginners/foru ... ?t=4422383

Who knows, this topic might inspire someone else as unfit as, or worse than me, to get out riding, and get their health and fitness back in order, if someone does, that's all good, if not, nothing lost.

Anyway, go and tell you opinions to someone else, I ain't interested in miserable whining gits, oh, and I don't need you permission to post what I want on the internet, got it?

Log for tonight:

Apr 24th: No riding, painting the flat, loads more to do :(.

Apr 25th

Top speed 22.1 mph (flat cycle path)
    Avg speed = 14.1 mph
    Distance = 10.30 miles
    Time 43:43:7

Pulse before ride = 66 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 108 bpm's 11:09pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 88 bpm's 11:19pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 86 bpm's 11:29pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 84 bpm's 12:09pm

Total miles ridden = 490.85
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    ooh only 9 and a bit to go m8 :) :shock: :)
  • Old Git On A Bike
    edited April 2008
    Hi Dunker, yeah, hit the 500 miles ridden mark today :D

Log for today:

Apr 26th

Top speed 19.2 mph (flat cycle path)
    Avg speed = 12.9 mph
    Distance = 14.11 miles
    Time 01:05:11

Pulse before ride = 68 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 106 bpm's 7:18pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 88 bpm's 7:28pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 84 bpm's 7:38pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 80 bpm's 8:18pm

Total miles ridden = 504.96
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Old git

keep it going. I must admit I was sceptical when you first posted but now I'm well hooked on your progress. Just goes to show that getting fit is a mental thing, not a physical thing (all that I'm overweight / not fit because of my genes is total cr*p, it's all down to will power).

You put me to shame, I thought my 210 miles since Christmas was good :D (although I have managed 30,000 ft of ascent, not that I'm counting). I hope your postings do inspire a few more poeple to get off their ar*es,.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • @ Stumpyjon, 210 miles is nothing to be sniffed at, mate, especially with all that climbing you have done :shock:, very good going, keep it up! I wish I could do it, but climbing is not something I have done yet, apart from going over a hill in between Bexhill and St Leonards, I don't even want to tackle any serious hills for a good few months yet, I would fail miserably until my fitness is a lot better.

I meant to put this in my earlier post, my weight has been pretty static recently, lose a couple of pounds, gain a couple of pounds, but finally, the weight has dropped again, I've lost another 4 pounds, I now weigh 12 stone and 8 pounds (176lbs), that's a loss of 20lbs since the start 8)
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • lunaeventer
    lunaeventer Posts: 420
    Well done OGOAB! You are doing so well!!

A lot of people find training logs of some form or another so useful. Have just started using one myself on a different site. So you use this forum to post...... as you said - no-one else needs to read it but some of us like to know how you are getting on!

Keep going!! :D
  • Hi Lunaeventer, I'll keep it going :D

Log for today:

Apr 27th

Top speed 21.6 mph (flat cycle path)
    Avg speed = 12.6 mph
    Distance = 14.35 miles
    Time 01:08:18

Pulse before ride = 62 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 98 bpm's 8:21pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 86 bpm's 8:31pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 82 bpm's 8:41pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 80 bpm's 9:21pm

Total miles ridden = 519.31
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • huwy
    huwy Posts: 91
    well done on busting the 500 mile mark - has this made a change,I imagine so have you lost weight etc etc ??....Now the summer sun is hopefully on the way with nice longer days it won't be long till the 1000 mile mark :lol:
  • not being cheeky here but just out of interest how much weight have you lost about. :roll: :oops:
  • huwy wrote:
    has this made a change, I imagine so have you lost weight?
    just out of interest how much weight have you lost

@ Huwy and ****RACE-APE****, I have lost a fair bit of weight since I started riding and dieting, I posted my latest weight update further up the page a couple of days ago, it reads:
    my weight has been pretty static recently, lose a couple of pounds, gain a couple of pounds, but finally, the weight has dropped again, I've lost another 4 pounds, I now weigh 12 stone and 8 pounds (176lbs), that's a loss of 20lbs since the start 8)

At the start, I weighed 14 stone, my target was to lose 2 stone, I'm nearly there now, only another 8 pounds to go and I will have hit that target, a lot of the weight has gone from my upper half, chest, arms and shoulders, they will need to be worked on to rebuild muscle with weights once I get the fat off.

On the other side of the coin, I can actually see some muscles coming back in my thighs and calves where they used to be before, my legs were getting scrawny from not being used, glad the muscle is coming back 8)

I didn't think of it at the start, but I'm going to take a photo of my legs every month from now on, and make them in to an animated gif to see the progression of muscle built up over time :D
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Is this the longest thread ever???
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • SuperCove
    SuperCove Posts: 127
    Old Git... I think I have just been inspired to get back on my bike!! I know that is was probably not your intention when you started this post but I think anyone that has had break from riding may now start again, I certainly am!!

Since following this thread I have serviced my bike and will get back in saddle asap.

Maybe there should be a dedicated forum for people to keep a training log?
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • mrwibble
    Hi Lunaeventer, I'll keep it going :D

Log for today:

Apr 27th

Top speed 21.6 mph (flat cycle path)
    Avg speed = 12.6 mph
    Distance = 14.35 miles
    Time 01:08:18

Pulse after ride = 98 bpm's 8:21pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 86 bpm's 8:31pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 82 bpm's 8:41pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 80 bpm's 9:21pm

Total miles ridden = 519.31

So what is your ultimate goal?
  • The weather hasn't been great for the last few days, mostly windy up to 25 - 30mph at times and some heavy rain, but now the good weather is back gain, and the forecast looks good until at least next Tuesday.

Time to get back in the saddle and up the anti a bit, I extended my trip a bit more today to have a look what was along that way, I did my usual route, then cut back and rode along Cooden Drive in Bexhill, where I was surprised to actually find cycle lanes on that road, at the end of that road you branch off on to a nice back country road called Herbrand Walk, it's pretty quiet there with very little traffic, that road goes to Normans Bay and Pevensey, I got to a level crossing and turned back there, tomorrow, I will carry on past that point and go to Normans Bay or beyond, and hopefully do around a 25 - 30 miles round trip. I got some padded lycra cycling shorts yesterday, they made the ride a lot more comfortable, log for today:

Apr 28th + 29th + 30th + May 1st: No riding due to wind and rain

May 2nd

Top speed 21.0 mph (flat cycle path)
    Avg speed = 12.8 mph
    Distance = 21.22 miles
    Time 01:38:47

Pulse after ride = 104 bpm's 7:59pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 92 bpm's 8:09pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 86 bpm's 8:19pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 82 bpm's 8:59pm

Total miles ridden = 540.53
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • I didn't get a chance to do the longer trip to Normans Bay or Pevensey Bay today, the intention was there, unfortunately, so was the wind, I waited until 4:00pm when the wind was supposed to be down to 9mph, and waited, and waited, but it didn't drop, it's still blowing at up to 20mph as I type, local weather display a short while ago:

windsyn7.jpg

The wind being what it was, I didn't fancy riding 12 miles or so back with it in my face, so I did my usual 12 mile route, I'll try again tomorrow when the wind is supposed to be 5 - 10mph again, log for today:

May 3rd

Top speed 21.7 mph (flat cycle path)
    Avg speed = 12.6 mph
    Distance = 12.04 miles
    Time 57:07:6

Pulse after ride = 98 bpm's 7:39pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 86 bpm's 7:49pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 80 bpm's 7:59pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 78 bpm's 8:39pm

Total miles ridden = 552.57
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • I did my longest ride so far today, nearly 26 miles 8)

I continued on past the level crossing where I got to the other day, it's a really nice ride along a back road from there, extremely quiet, only saw about 6 cars along the way, the only bad thing about todays ride was the flys, millions of them hitting me in the face for most of the way there and back, my head was swarming with them when I got home, where they had all stuck to the sweat, poxy things.

Anyway, I eventually came to a roundabout where you turn left for Pevensey, I wasn't sure how much further it was as my bike computer battery went flat overnight, so itI reset it when I put a new battery in, only I set it to record kilometres instead of miles, so I didn't have a clue how far I had gone, I was going to turn back at the roundabout thinking that was far enough for the day, but I decided to carry on towards Pevensey, imagine my surprise about 4 minutes later, when I saw a large stone arch, I was there, rode through the arch and that was part of the outer wall of Pevensey castle, I rode around the area for a bit then made my way home, I shall try to do this same trip as often as possible now, and in a few weeks time, I will try an extend it to Eastbourne, which is a 40 mile round trip, log for today:

May 4th

Top speed 38.23 (KPH) - 23.76 (MPH) (flat cycle path & road)
    Avg speed = 20.8 (KPH) - 12.93 (MPH)
    Distance = 41.61 (KMS) - 25.85 MILES
    Time 02:00:02

Pulse before ride = 60 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 104 bpm's 8:44pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 92 bpm's 8:54pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 88 bpm's 9:04pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 80 bpm's 9:44pm

Total miles ridden = 578.42
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • Not had a chance to go out for the last couple of days, my legs were aching the following day after my last ride above, so I had a rest day, then I had to wait in for a plumber yesterday after the rubber joint on the soil pipe decided to fall away at the back of the building, sending all the waste in to the woman next doors rockery, in the end, the plumber phoned and couldn't get here until this afternoon :evil:

I did slightly further than my longest ride the other day, I rode to Pevensey castle again, it was great going there, but quite strong diagonal/side and headwinds all the way back slowed me up at times, all the same, I enjoyed the ride, log for today:

May 5th + 6th: No riding, 1 rest day and 1 day wasted waiting for a plumber

May 7th

Top speed 26.7 mph (flat cycle path & road)
    Avg speed = 12.8 mph
    Distance = 26.54 miles
    Time 02:03:56

Pulse after ride = 106 bpm's 8:37pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 92 bpm's 8:47pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 88 bpm's 8:57pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 82 bpm's 9:37pm

Total miles ridden = 604.96
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • I was aching again from yesterdays ride, so rather than do anything to strenuous today, I though it would be a good idea to go to Alexandria park in Hastings for the first time since moving here, and ride around it a few times, just at a nice steady pace, in hindsight, it would have been less strenuous riding to Pevensey and back again.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful park, it's bang smack in the middle of the town, it's 2.5 miles long with lakes and ancient woodland in there, but the hills in there are damn steep :shock:, I got to the entrance at the top of the park and the descent down the path was very steep, having not been there before, I assumed the park was going to be flat, far from it, anyway, I went down the path and around the edge of the park for a bit, then I went up quiet a dirt track in the dense wooded area, all I could see and hear were birds singing and the occasional squirrel running around, but not wanting to go up any more hills, I turned back, if I didn't know where I was, I could have sworn I was on a mountain track somewhere, it's all very nice, but you need to be fitter than I am to climb the hilly bits in there, so I headed out of it and went along the promenade for a bit instead, just to keep the legs working in preperation for another ride to Pevensey or beyond tomorrow, log for today:

May 8th

Top speed 23.9 mph (flat cycle path)
    Avg speed = 11.9 mph
    Distance = 9.60 miles
    Time 48:08:6

Pulse after ride = 96 bpm's 7:51pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 82 bpm's 8:01pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 80 bpm's 8:11pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 74 bpm's 8:51pm

Total miles ridden = 614.56
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Keep it up old git.. on a bike >;op

well impressed your fitter than me now i swear... your a great motivational post!
  • I missed out the 1 mile each way stretch of cycle path at the end of Bexhill, and rode directly to Pevensey castle instead, I carried on along the road that goes around the castle, turned left of at the mini roundabout and then you go past a train station, Pevensey and Westham I think it was, carried on over the level crossing and along that road until I reached the next big roundabout, turned left there and carried on until I hit Priory roundabout, there is a big sign in various languages there, saying, welcome to Eastbourne, I didn't realise it was that close, obviously, that is just the outside edge of it, but just another couple of miles past there is Sovereign Harbour, that is what I'll aim for next time I go over there, log for today:

May 9th

Top speed 23.2 mph (flat cycle path)
    Avg speed = 13.0 mph
    Distance = 27.06 miles
    Time 02:04:08

Pulse after ride = 106 bpm's 8:53pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 96 bpm's 9:03pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 88 bpm's 9:13pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 82 bpm's 9:53pm

Total miles ridden = 641.62

@ Thewaylander, cheers mate, I wouldn't say I was anywhere near calling myself fit, yet, and don't forget that just about all my riding is on road or cycle path, I assume you do offroad riding which takes a lot more fitness, so you are probably far fitter than I am :D
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • I just went to make a cup of coffee, and as I always do, I check my tyres while I'm in the kitchen as that's where the bike lives, the back tyre was flat, virtually no air in it, I pumped it up and couldn't hear any hissing, I went round the tyre and notice a piece of glass is buried in the tyre, I wiggled it with a knife to get it out and hiss :evil:

Going to have to go to Halford tomorrow to get a tyre and innertube and ask them to fit it, that's if they do fitting, it's one of the Halfords super stores so they might do, not sure what tyre to get now as I was going to buy a Continental Flow Protection tyre from CRC next week when my PayPal funds have cleared, but Halfords don't sell those, hmmm, what to buy now, rushes off to their website to see what else they have :?

I suppose I should be thankfull that it didn't happen when I was over near Eastbourne, it would have been a damn long walk back as I didn't take my pump out with me :shock:
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • There is not much suitable tyre choice on the Halfords site, so I am going with these other Continentals, they are narrower than I wanted at 26 x 1.75 after using the 26 x 2.30 that are currently on the bike, but needs must, anyway, being slicker, they should get me moving quicker :D

They do these in wired and folding, if they have both in stock, which would I be better of getting?

Continental Travel Contact 26 x 1.75
    Description
    Continental Travel Contact incorporates all Continentals new puncture protection systems. Continental Travel Contact 26 x 1.75 Bike Tyre has a semi slick tread with knobbly "endless edge" shoulders, great on and off the road. Ideal for heavy duty cycling.

Features
    Semi slick tread
    Knobbly "endless edge" shoulders
    Kevlar reinforced anti-puncture belt
    Duraskin sidewall protection

contilf0.jpg

They have some good reviews on CRC:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Revi ... elID=18822
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    i believe its to do with the beed, i'd say go witht he lightest if its mostly on road mate,

you will be amazed at the speed difference on road witha a pair of slicks its frightning
  • Hi Thewaylander, just got off the phone with Halfords, they don't have the Continental Travel Contact tyre in stock, typical :roll:, I'll have to buy one of their cheaper rubbish tyres for now, at least they will fit it for me for £5.99, saves me messing about doing it, going over there shortly.
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    £5.99 to put a tube and tyre on pop it around i will do it for a fiver. im in the wrong business. :D

well done old git keep up the good work.

as for tyres go for schwalbe marathon plus virtually puncture proof ive done 5000 miles on a set and not one puncture. a bit pricey but worth it.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    I just went to make a cup of coffee, and as I always do, I check my tyres while I'm in the kitchen as that's where the bike lives

i do exactly the same. only in my case i drink tea! If your going to pay Halfords to fit you a new tyre for 5.99 i would consider their bike care plan for 9.99 for a year! If you dont feel confident with fixing your bike, as long as you buy the part from halfords all the labour is free.
  • Old Git On A Bike
    edited May 2008
    I had planned to ride the 3 miles to Halfords, I pumped the tyre up hoping it would keep air in it long enough to get some of the way before having to pump it up again, it was fine at first, but I decided to put a couple more pounds of pressure in to it, and then it started hissing out of the side of the valve where it goes in to the rim, so it cost me £7 for a taxi to Halfords instead, so, in all, it cost me £33.97 including a £1 tip for the cabbie, tyre £14.99, tube £4.99 and fitting £5.99 :(

Got there and their selection of tyres was even less than on their website, they mostly had big knobbly tyres, apart from those, they had some city jets and other thin stuff around 1.5 in size, the only suitable tyre they had were these Continental Double Fighter II 26 x 1.9, so I had to get one of those:

contiuy6.jpg

I'll go out for a spin along the seafront tonight and do 10 miles or so to see if the new tyre improves my average speed at all, but having said that, my backside is a bit raw after yesterdays ride and I have a sore right between the legs on the part where I sit, and this tyre isn't going to be as comfortable as my old big tyre, I'll see how it goes, if it hurts too much, I'll leave it until tomorrow and try and do 30 miles quicker than the 27 miles I did yesterday.

@ Owen908, I don't mind paying to have the odd thing fitted here or there, it's not that I'm not confident about changing tyres myself, it's just being out of practice as I have not changed one since about 1980ish, and that was on a road bike, which only took a couple of minutes using a spoon to get it on and off, bikes are a bit different today, I'm sure I would do it alright if I tried, but for now, for the sake of a few extra quid, someone else can do it for me, I'll get around to learning bike maintenance soon enough, I saw some bike maintenance DVD's in Halfords today, my other half has asked what I wanted for my birthday, so I might ask her to get me that :)
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg