Old Git On A Bike battles with the wind (2000 miles ridden)

Comments

• Old Git On A Bike
    Old Git On A Bike Posts: 317
    edited June 2008
    @ FSR_XC, and so you should feel ashamed :D, simple solution, get on on your bike and start doing more miles, you know it makes sense, chase me, chase me :lol:

@ Bossangel, 20 miles is nothing to be sniffed at mate, are you riding road as well or just all cross country? If cross country, your 20 miles will take a lot more doing than road work, I have seen someone say that 1 mile off road is equal to 3 miles on road, in any case, doing 20 miles is better than sitting in doors doing nothing, good man for getting past the 20 mile barrier, keep riding matey!

Today was the day I rode 50 miles for the firs time 8), but it wasn't as nice as it could have been, there had been none of the forecast light showers all day, so of I went out for my ride, I got half way along the back roads to Pevensey and the heavens opened up, it only lasted a few minutes, still got me pretty wet, though, soon dried off and I reached Eastbourne.

At the end of the Eastbourne seafront, is the rise up to Beachy Head, I didn't realise it was so steep, it's a grassed slope with a narrow worn track on it from hikers walking up it, no way it can be ridden up, I'm not sure why, but I was expecting something with a gradual slope, I couldn't be bothered pushing the bike up it, so I went along a road thinking that must bring me out somewhere near the top, and so it did, except it was like climbing a road in the Alps, constant zig zagging climb, got there after having to stop about 4 times for breathers and I then had a mile to travel from the top to Beachy Head, it was well worth it in the end, I took quite a few photos up there whilst standing near the cliff edge, which as you may or may not know, is a notorious suicide spot, I was getting vertigo and the wobbles just looking over the edge, reminding myself to throw myself backwards if I happened to go forward :lol:.

I spent about 20 minutes at the top, the wind was howling and then the blackness descended upon me once again, the clouds let rip with all they had, it got pretty cold and the raindrops where huge and falling hard, I was completely drenched, it ruined my ride back down the hill to Eastbourne, which I was looking forward to, on the way down I had to stop a couple of times, my eyes were stinging so much from the rain and the spray kicking up in to my face from my front wheel, it was blinding, the clouds then headed off out to sea and it dried up as I got further along the coast, I'll post some photos later on, tomorrow will eaither be a rest day, or I might do s speed session in the evening, but for now, log for today:

Jun 6th

Top speed 30.1 mph (cycle path & steep road)
    Avg speed = 13.5 mph
    Distance = 50.20 miles
    Time 03:42:55

Pulse before ride = 62 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 96 bpm's 8:47pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 90 bpm's 8:57pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 78 bpm's 9:07pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 80 bpm's 9:47pm

Total miles ridden = 969.53

[edit]

Some photos from the ride, they didn't come out great this time, no idea why.

Towards the end of Eastbourne promenade:

beachyhead001ih0.th.jpg

Bottom of the slope that leads to Beachy Head and the South Downs Way, it's actually a lot steeper than the photo shows:

beachyhead008zv9.th.jpg

After taking the long zig zagging uphill road, it brings you out here, photo of Eastbourne in the distance, this spot is 1 mile from Beachy Head:

beachyhead009mm4.th.jpg

Shot of the downs heading towards Seaford and Brighton etc:

beachyhead013vl6.th.jpg

Ahhh, there at last:

beachyhead016kq4.th.jpg

Commerorative plaque:

beachyhead017lx9.th.jpg

Shots of the sea:

beachyhead019yd1.th.jpg

beachyhead022qe0.th.jpg

The photos don't do it justice, it's a great view from here, one hell of a drop:

beachyhead024yj5.th.jpg

beachyhead025sm9.th.jpg

beachyhead029pv9.th.jpg

beachyhead030mn7.th.jpg

And on my way back through Sovereign Harbour, I spotted a Great Cormorant:

beachyhead032es3.th.jpg
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Great stuff. I'm one (no doubt of many) who just keep coming back to this thread. The next big ride you do will take you over the 4 figure mark 8) 8) 8)

Keep it up, and keep letting us know how you get on :D
  • Bossangel
    Bossangel Posts: 164
    my 20 miles was all xc, I wouldn't call it a fear but i am not into riding bikes on the road at all. I am a lorry driver and i know how many i've nearly squashed by being silly in front of a 32t lorry, I just dont want to put stress on other road users. I love it off road. I love not knowing whether i'm going to stay on the bike or not or totally capitulate.

Eastbournes a nice place, i lived in portslade brighton for 6 years and used to visit eastbourne alot. Keep it going old git, i enjoy reading of your adventures.
    Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Over 50 miles now! There's inspiration for you. Keep it up.
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    'Old Git' good to read your posts & see you are enjoying your cycling so much.
    I quite often cylcle over the downs to the trig point at Beachy Hd. the views are fantastic. If you fancied a different return trip you could go over the downs to Butts Brow, then do a left down to Jevington, then right to Polegate where you can pick up Cycle Route 22 (i think!) across the marshes towards home. At Rickney on the marshes you can cut over to Herstmonceux. At Herstmonceux Church there is a bridle path that cuts through the castle grounds right by the castle (which i see from an earlier post that you fancied a look at). The church is very nice aswell with great views across the marshes toward the downs. This bridle path comes out by the castle entrance that you took a pic of in your earlier post, so you could get to the church & past the castle from the route that you've already used/know from the opposte direction (does that make sense?!)
    Keep up the good work!
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    FSR_XC/Mark - errrrmm you forget to mention that you've done (ir are doing) the Newnham 90 (km) and several triathlons! Hardly the actions of an unfit fatty!
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I still ain't doin' 100miles /week.

I average around 40 miles / week, so unless 'Old Git On A Bike' stops doin' these 50 mile rides, I'll never keep up with him.

Matt - do you know how many miles you've done this year?

I'm sure you've done more than me if you do 10miles x5 days/ week + club stuff.

I'm currently on 808 miles
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I'd have to seriously guesstimate - probably about 1200 miles all in - but that's just rough totting up - I now have a bike computer so can tell much more accurately!

But it's only because I have a bit more time than you.

Probably trail ran about 150 miles in that time and swam about... errrmmmm....15-20 miles in total?!

I would say "must get out more" but it may actually be a case of "must get out less" :oops: :lol:

I can imagine you'll massively increase the mileage now you have a road bike.
  • I was a bit sore the day after my 50 mile ride, so I had a rest day on the 7th, I didn't get a chance to go out on the 8th at all, had to look after my kid during the day and had to strip my computer down in the evening as it kept switching itself off, all the fans were covered in dust and cats hairs, that comes from having 3 cats and having the builders here at the moment, dust everywhere, seems to be working fine again now anyway.

Normal service resumed today, I went for a ride over to Pevensey, then towards Battle, back to pevensey and home, did just enough to get me over the 1000 miles ridden mark 8), I'll probably do a long ride again tomorrow, maybe head past Eastbourne towards Newhaven, log for today:

Jun 7th & Jun 8th: No riding, one rest day and the other day had stuff to do

Jun 9th

Top speed 28.5 mph (cycle path & road)
    Avg speed = 14.0 mph
    Distance = 32.58 miles
    Time 02:19:37

Pulse before ride = 62 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 104 bpm's 8:49pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 88 bpm's 8:59pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 84 bpm's 9:09pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 78 bpm's 9:49pm

Total miles ridden = 1002.11

[edit]

A breakdown of how many miles per month I have been riding since the start:

February = 34.69 miles
    March = 197.93 miles
    April = 286.61 miles
    May = 343.63 miles
    June = 139.17 miles so far this month

Total = 1002.03 (I must have hit a wrong key on the calculator as it's 1002.11)
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • I've just read the first 5 pages of the thread and the last 2...inspirational stuff.
    I'm a fat guy just back to cycling too.
    I've just commited to doing lands end to jon o groats next May so I have 1 year to shed 4 stone and get fighting fit.
    I like the way your keeping records, I'm gonna try that.

Keep it up and well done Old Git
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Nice riding, i have kicked off around february but have been in the gym since october, my best ride has been about 52 miles but being 15st i still don't find myself all that fast despite trying to im just in it for the fun for now just so i keep on going.

Did 44 miles on sunday, i really should be out today but ive idless woods tomorrow and the last thing id want with these riders it to show up half knackered. :lol:

Keep up the good work as will i. ;)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • 15 stone :lol: thats just a distant memory for me I'm closer to 18 :shock:
    I gave up smoking about 4 1/2 years ago and have piled it on since then. I reckon my ideal weight would be around the 13 mark but I'd settle for 14. Need to get the miles in.
    Just finished work and I'm gonna head out for a ride just now.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Well ages ago i used to be around 12.5 stone but i was riding every day, oddly it's a damn sight easier when you are slim, it's nothing but effort when your bigger as im sure you know.

But i was easily 17st i think about 114kg so im headed in the right direction, least i hope i am. :lol:
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Cheers all, it's been hard work at times, but it's getting easier now.

I got another long ride in today, went to the top of Beachy Head again, then took a long downhill road further along the coast to Birling Gap, it was quite a fast descent, I was fast approaching 40mph when I hit a bit of rough road and I felt a lot of vibrating, I thought the forks might fall of, so I slowed down at that point :lol:, Birling Gap is a tiny place, but it has great views of the Seven Sisters cliffs further along, wish I could have taken a photo, but the sun was very low and it was very hazy today. The climb back up the road to Beachy Head was a right bugger, not massively steep, just a very long constant climb, I had to stop several times, anyway, log for today:

Jun 10th

Top speed 36.0 mph (long hill down from Beachy Head)
    Avg speed = 13.3 mph
    Distance = 50.05 miles
    Time 03:45:01
    Pulse before ride = 68 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 96 bpm's 9:36pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 84 bpm's 9:46pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 80 bpm's 9:56pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 80 bpm's 10:36pm

Total miles ridden = 1052.16
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • SuperCove
    SuperCove Posts: 127
    edited June 2008
    Maybe you should rename the thread now... you're no longer Totally Unfit?!?!?
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • iddur
    iddur Posts: 7
    Speaking as an even older git :) I find your exploits an inspiration for me to stick at it and get fitter myself :) Well done :)
    Carpe Cerevisi !
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    definetly not "unfit" anymore, congrats on the 1k m8 :D
  • @ those above, I'll change the topic to something else in a minute :D

Just in from a run over to Bexhill, I didn't really feel like going out as my thighs were still sore from yesterday, also, the climbing around Beachy Head must have taken more out of my lungs than I thought, because they were pretty tight when I first went out tonight, took about 2 - 3 miles for them to open up properly, I felt ok after that. Rain is forecast for some time tomorrow, I'll try and get a ride over to Pevensey or Battle in at some point, log for tonight:

Jun 11th

Top speed 25.2 mph (cycle path hill)
    Avg speed = 14.1 mph
    Distance = 12.63 miles
    Time 53:32:6

Pulse before ride = 64 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 92 bpm's 10:54pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 78 bpm's 11:04pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 70 bpm's 11:14pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 68 bpm's 11:54pm

Total miles ridden = 1064.79
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    Looking at those pics of your bike it looks like its never seen mud! How do you keep it so clean?!
  • Hi old git & hi to all

Just wanted to say thanks for your posts. I had some spare cash after I got my car serviced last month so 6 days ago I went to Halfords and got myself an mtb. I haven't ridden a bike in over 20 years since riding a bmx to school so the 5 mile ride (and walk) home from Halfords was quite testing for me.

Glad I found your posts the other day as you seem to have so much willpower and I think some of it is rubbing off. Last night it would have been so easy for me to sit in front of the pc or tv as it looked as though it would pour down at any moment. Instead I thought about your posts and just went for it and fortunately the rain stayed away. Just finished reading the rest of this thread and wanted to say thanks for the motivation

Chris.
  • ST Colin
    ST Colin Posts: 147
    Inspiration if ever there was any! Well done fella, keep er lit 8)
    http://stcolin.pinkbike.com

BeOne Aspire 1.0
    RS Recon Race Air Solo 100mm
    Raceface XC and Easton
    Mavic 321, DT Swiss spokes, XT hubs
    Panaracer Rampage SC's
  • Old Git On A Bike
    Old Git On A Bike Posts: 317
    edited June 2008
    owen908 wrote:
    Looking at those pics of your bike it looks like its never seen mud! How do you keep it so clean?!

That's because it's never seen any real mountain biking mud baths, and it's not something I will ever do, I hate getting dirty :D The worst it has had on it was a bit of mud and a lot of sand from the pebble/shingle beach I ride along after there had been a heavy downpour, apart from that, I ride mostly on tarmac cycle path and road, I don't really clean the bike much, I have given it one proper wash down since I have had it, every now and again, I wipe the frame over with a dry rag when any sand splashes have dried, and that's about it, it helps that I ride mostly in dry weather.

The weather wasn't great yesterday, it rained a few times and then it was black clouds for most of the rest of the day, didn't fancy chancing getting a soaking, so I gave it a miss, had a little run out this evening, log for tonight:

Jun 12th: No riding, rained a few times followed by black clouds all day

Jun 13th

Top speed 21.7 mph (flat cycle path)
    Avg speed = 14.8 mph
    Distance = 11.34 miles
    Time 45:40:7

Pulse before ride = 60 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 100 bpm's 11:09pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 80 bpm's 11:19pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 76 bpm's 11:29pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 74 bpm's 12:09am

Total miles ridden = 1076.13
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • tagmnbagm
    tagmnbagm Posts: 111
    Pulse before ride = 30 bpm's

Are you sure :?:
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift. That is why it is known as the present.
  • @ Tagmnbagm, well spotted :D, when I take my pulse, I take it over half a minute, the pulse was 30, meaning it would be 60 over a minute, but I put down the 30 instead of 60, edited the mistake now, cheers.
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    edited June 2008
    owen908 wrote:

That's because it's never seen any real mountain biking mud baths, and it's not something I will ever do, I hate getting dirty :D

OGOAB

its a shame you are not aspiring to do some real 'off road' stuff

You have done brilliantly getting you fitness levels up and no doubt a lot of us who follow your blog were looking forward to hearing your exploits in the hills. I mean thats what its all about - pushing yourself to get up a big hill - taking in the scenery and then coming back down again at whatever speed rocks yer boat.

So just cover yourself in protective clothing and get goiing !!!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • beski
    You won't even need the protective clothing, if the next time your at Beachy Hd you cut over the downs, cos if the weathers dry, being chalk it doesn't stay wet/muddy :P
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
  • Cps wrote:
    its a shame you are not aspiring to do some real 'off road' stuff

Well, let me clarify a bit, by not getting dirty, I mean I wont be riding in any off road fields/bogs up to my ankles in mud like those crazy cross country types do, I personally can't see any enjoyment at all in getting soaking wet, cold and covered in mud.

What I will be doing is some off road in the shape of the South Downs Way, but only on good weather days when the chalk is dry like Beski says above, I have read that chalk is slippery and lethal when wet. I want to ride the 100 miles South Downs Way from Winchester to Eastbourne next year, I will have a better bike by then and will be fitter than fit by next year, there is no way I could do it on my current bike, it's too heavy for a start, weighs about 38 pounds, over 40 pounds once I have water bottles, bags, tools and other stuff fitted, plus, the Zoom forks are not very good and would probably snap :D

I didn't fancy riding yesterday, it was pretty windy most of the time, watching cyclists struggle by outside my window was enough for me to give it a miss. Didn't get out during the day today, I was dragged out on a stroll around the area instead, then after that, I was going out and then it poured down as I was getting ready, typical, in the end, the sun came back out later on, and I went for a run over to my 8 mile point on the Pevensey back road, and home again:

Jun 14th: No riding, far too windy for my liking

Jun 15th

Top speed 28.7 mph (cycle path & steep road)
    Avg speed = 14.6 mph
    Distance = 16.12 miles
    Time 01:06:06

Pulse before ride = 68 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 96 bpm's 8:12pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 80 bpm's 8:22pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 76 bpm's 8:32pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 72 bpm's 9:12pm

Total miles ridden = 1092.25
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • Inspirational stuff mate.

I just completed a 49 mile ride on Saturday !
    The furthest I have ridden in 20 years.
    It took 3 hours 30 min
    I did a further 20 today but my arse is just in agony !
    Still all good stuff, a bit of a short day tommorrow and then on Tuesday I have got a day off and I'm gonna cycle round Caithness, maybe Dunnet head and john O Groats.

The hardest thing about cycling is getting out the bloody door in the first place.
  • beski
    The tracks from Beachy head over to Butts Brow are grassy, the SDW going down to Jevington & over to Alfriston is chalky with some flint. The chalky track is lethal when wet, but it dries out very quickly being porous.
    The 100 miles SDW now theres a challenge, there are some wicked climbs, and blisteringly fast downhills 8)
    The furthest I've got so far is to Beddingham from Jevington & back :oops:
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006