2008 Metric Century Challenge

Comments

• I reckon there are 5 still in, some of whom haven't posted a September ride yet.

This challenge got me out on January 1st 2006 to ride 62.18 miles on my mountain bike, and has been a good reason to get out in the winters between, it has also led me astray to road bikes, fixed wheels, mudguards....If one other person has the fun I have had it's worth it, and if they drop out before January is out , well there is always another year.

Any ideas for how to improve it in 2009?

I thought a 'bikely' link to each ride could give a great catalogue of 100km rides over a year, especially if they were well written with descriptions, links to photos etc. rather than just the route.

Your opinions welcome
    Velocitizen
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Good call on the bikely maps.

How about a sub category for people who are not necessarily able to ride every month for one reason or another but can still rack up the miles during the periods that they can, might prevent so much attrition.
    It only takes 4 weekends of personal life interfering with precious bike time to kill off your whole year.

Don't jump on me and tell me it goes against the spirit of the challenge, it's just a thought.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I agree with Attica on this one we need a separate category for those that miss a couple of monthly targets for whatever reason, this has the potential to be a huge motivator for many riders and past riders. In fact I recall this being one of the driving factors at the beginning of the year that got me out commuting.

For the record here's my stats to date.

I failed in Feb. this year but not my fault doctors orders, better luck next time.

01/08 2 Point 283 Km 176 Miles
    02/08 1 Point 169 Km 105 Miles
    03/08 0 Point 32 Km 20 Miles - Knee operation :(
    04/08 3 Point 350 Km 218 Miles
    05/08 4 Point 425 Km 264 Miles
    06/08 5 Point 581 Km 361 Miles
    07/08 8 Point 816 Km 507 Miles
    08/08 5 Point 520 Km 323 Miles
    09/08 3 Point 373 Km 232 Miles

Sub 31 Points
    Total 36 Points 3603 Km 2239 Miles
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin

Just wondered are your points above for 100km rides, or 'total riding' for the month? I only ask because of February's total. (Glad you are recovered and back riding.)
    If for 100km rides then particularly well done for July, and great going for the whole year.
    If it is for total riding then I suppose that is a different challenge.
    I welcome any comments on how this challenge can be modified or improved, I'm just happy if it prods me and others to get out and do a 'century' in December and January, the rest for me is just numbers.
    Regards.
    Velocitizen
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • Floodcp
    Floodcp Posts: 190
    I have found this a very good motivator all year. I am determined to see it through although with only a few days left in September I have yet to complete a 100k ride this month. Hence taking a holiday on Friday in order to complete it. I wouldnt want to fail now.

I will do this again next year if it is being run and would welcome "modifications" to the challenge if it meant more people were to take part. Although this may be harder to manage

Also perhaps a monthly report on the positions would be good. I found it difficult to see who has done what and where I was on the points list. It would focus the attention and perhaps drive people that little bit harder. I would be willing to help if required.
  • Floodcp
    As of 24th Sept here is the list of runners still in the game
    Some still need to complete a ride in september

Velocitizen - 10 points
    Pdstsp - 19 points
    el_presidente - 8 points
    Floodcp - 26 points
    ronstrutt - 44 points
    Sbothwell - 11 points
    Redgreenbaron - 17 points

Sorry if I missed anoyone
  • Floodcp thanks for your summary

Glad to see I am Lanterne Rouge !

Ride planned for this Sunday so all being well I will still be in the game
    <a>road</a>
  • itboffin
    itboffin

Just wondered are your points above for 100km rides, or 'total riding' for the month? I only ask because of February's total. (Glad you are recovered and back riding.)
    If for 100km rides then particularly well done for July, and great going for the whole year.
    If it is for total riding then I suppose that is a different challenge.
    I welcome any comments on how this challenge can be modified or improved, I'm just happy if it prods me and others to get out and do a 'century' in December and January, the rest for me is just numbers.
    Regards.
    Velocitizen

Unfortunately those figures are totals for the month, I'd really have to go the long way around on my daily commute to make 100km, although not impossible :wink: a couple of times I did think what if I keep going instead of catching the train to London :shock: 95 miles door to door.

I've yet to do more than 50 miles in one ride, my lower back gives out every time, I'm working on my core strength and endurance at the moment, fresh for the new years challenge.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Floodcp
    Glad you have enjoyed the challenge and thanks for the summary, I agree a monthly update would be beneficial, especially so if you are volunteering for the job. :wink:
    It's good to see people are interested in carrying the challenge on.
    Any other ideas to improve it for 2009?
    itboffin
    You are most of the way their with 50 miles, that 95 mile route to work is one to set your sights on for the future, it could be a ride one way-train home, classic ride.
    Best of luck
    velocitizen
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • Floodcp
    Velocitizen

I dont mind doing a monthly update on whos still in. Probably try to do it on the 2nd or 3rd of each month?

Flood
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    Attica wrote:
    ... is this proving popular enough to run next year?

If so, can I be the first to say "I'm in"

Me too.
    Powered by Haribo.
  • C-S-B
    C-S-B Posts: 117
    been eyeing up this challenge all year but never entered because I had never done a 100km ride prior to February.

Can I still be in even though I 'failed' in January? :P
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I've enjoyed this too - normally I'm a big girls blouse in the winter but this year it gave me a kick to post a decent ride in January and February. It also leads me to do a little extra sometimes - if I;m on course to get home in 80km total I'll take a detour to get up to the 100 mark. Just hope I can see out the last three months - though I can't see me getting near Floodcp or Ronstrutt for the gold or silver - just have to try to fend Redgreenbaron off so as to finish on the podium.

On the missing month question the simplest answer is merely a total points for 100km+ rides as well as the traditional at least once a month target table.
  • C-S-B
    Go on, post them up. 'Rules are only guidelines.' :wink:
    It could become a 'Ride around the year' type challenge, like the Audax one, where you start when you want and attempt to do 12 consecutive rides, (They do 200km rides though!)
    Keeping track of everyones posts could be more difficult as well, so perhaps better to stick to the yearly challenge.
    pdstsp
    Your comments encapsulate what the challenge is for me, get out early and don't come home until you've done the distance!
    Congratulations
    Velocitizen
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • itboffin
    I managed an easy 51 miles on Sat. what a fantastic day I could have gone on for longer but alas family commitments dictate otherwise :(

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=1923

A couple of these a week and I'll be ready for my first 100k in no time.
  • pdstsp wrote:
    Just hope I can see out the last three months - though I can't see me getting near Floodcp or Ronstrutt for the gold or silver - just have to try to fend Redgreenbaron off so as to finish on the podium.

Thanks to Floodcp for the summary. I hadn't scanned the posts for a while and hadn't realised the rate of attrition was greater than the worlds' road race.
    And to pdstsp for pointing out relative positions.

This forum has been at the back of my mind as an impetus all year, though provided I made one sunday club ride a month I knew I would be fine, and I don't have children!! Sep almost conspired against me however, with illness knocking out 2 weekends and a holiday a third. Even taking the bike to Spain on holiday didn't help. The pesky hills (and the in-laws) kept the distances below 100km per ride (even if the altitude gains rather compensated - the day of the Angliru I only managed 70km and at my record slowest average of <16kmh).
    Thankfully the cold abated in time for the "Legs of Steel" this past weekend, which is quite short, but I rode out and back to double the distance.
    But, thanks to pdstsp, I now have a target for the rest of the year, and detours will continue to be sought out not avoided........
  • pdstsp
    Oh bollocks I've rattled someone's cage - is this the chucking down of a gauntlet? :lol:

That'll mean I'm going to have to put the kids in care till the new year to fre up ride time.

I'm sure the challenge will be enjoyable, redgreenbaron, just hope the weather is kind.

Paul
  • pdstsp
    Redgreen I've just read your rides and you deserve a medal for riding 100k on a shopper - chapeau!

What was the Cae Town Argus like - I was there in August on holiday and was blown away by the scenery on the Cape - must be one great ride.
  • pdstsp wrote:
    Redgreen I've just read your rides and you deserve a medal for riding 100k on a shopper - chapeau!

What was the Cae Town Argus like - I was there in August on holiday and was blown away by the scenery on the Cape - must be one great ride.

Ah, but not just any shopper - my Mother-in-Law's shopper! It eats hills for breakfast and you can get into a mean TT position with the basket.......

The Argus is a beautiful ride, helped by reliably sunny weather. My favourite was the woosh of 300 bikes competing with the waves crashing on the east coast of the peninsula with the spray glinting in the just risen sun-light. And the shout of 'bottle' indicating another muppet has dropped his bidon with the risk of carnage that entailed. The physical challenge is not so demanding: short hills and lots of group riding. It's almost over before you realise. A long way to take your bike for a short ride, but I did some more riding over a week's holiday to make it worthwhile (and I was there for a wedding).

Your comments on the wind suggest you do quite a lot of your riding fully exposed to the elements (I mostly remember to take along a couple of handy clubmates to hide behind). That's one thing about this challenge - there's 100km and 100km. 2 of my 4 hardest rides were well under 100km.

Nick
  • ronstrutt
    ronstrutt Posts: 3,170
    I'd always assumed that the winter would be the most difficult period in which to stick with the challenge - it isn't, the summer is much harder with so much else going on. This month two weekends went on holiday, a third on catching up after the holiday (don't ask), and the fourth on an office outing to walk round the Isle of Wight (75 miles in three days).

In the end, to squeeze in my September ride I rode back from the Island after walking for three days - my colleagues reckon I'm barking mad!

I have to say that I do like the rule of at least one ride per calendar month. It gives you the incentive to get out and ride whatever the weather or other distractions. I probably wouldn't have done that ride yesterday if I'd been allowed to take a month off.
  • pdstsp
    I think in the summer you keep thinking that there's always another day - whereas in the winter its now or never!! This is something I'll certainly stick with next year - and I d agree that having to do one a month is a real challenge somtimes and makes it feel worthwhile.

And RedGreen - its just plain showing off to use your mother-in-laws shopper - next year we'll have the "10okm on granny's penny-farthing challenge" :lol:
  • ronstrutt
    pdstsp wrote:
    And RedGreen - its just plain showing off to use your mother-in-laws shopper - next year we'll have the "10okm on granny's penny-farthing challenge" :lol:

Is it showing off to have done all my 100kms on a fully-(over)loaded tourer?
  • pdstsp
    Probable yes or alternatively its plain madness. I complain about carrying a couple of tubes and a mini-pump.

Chapeau to you also Ronstrutt.
  • Floodcp
    Update on points as of Today

Velocitizen - 10 points
    Pdstsp - 20 points
    el_presidente - 9 points
    Floodcp - 28 points
    ronstrutt - 45 points
    Sbothwell - 11 points
    Redgreenbaron - 18 points

Only three more months left :D
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    Well done to those who are still in it. I don't know how you did it in January and February as I remember it being very wet with most of my riding being in the garage on rollers while the wind howled outside.

I'll be keen for 2009 though so I'll check at the end of the year to see if you're going to do it again.

Gavin.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • ronstrutt
    Gav2000 wrote:
    I don't know how you did it in January and February as I remember it being very wet with most of my riding being in the garage on rollers while the wind howled outside.

Sounds like much of the summer too!
  • Update as end oct approaches.
    ronstrutt and sbothwell still to post for oct. Today's weather may not be helping!
    I can't seem to close the gap on pdstsp while Floodcp continues to pull away from us.

Velocitizen - 11 points
    Pdstsp - 22 points
    el_presidente - 10 points
    Floodcp - 31 points
    ronstrutt - 45 points
    Sbothwell - 11 points
    Redgreenbaron - 20 points

Based on the last couple of additions, it looks like Pdstsp is designing his routes with 62.1miles in mind. Fair enough if it's on the unicycle!
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Think I might give this a go next year. Up till now the only 100ks I have done have been the Dunwich and preparation for it.

Snake

my bikes ... http://beta.yudu.com/library/item_details/17432/Snakehips--Bikes
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • pdstsp
    Redgreen - you have a point - recent rides have been dead on the 100k - mainly due to time issues. In fact I've had to go round the block a couple of times to get the clock up to the 100.

This weeks weather forecast isn't great - this is when it gets hard again!!

Snakehips - it is a good motivator - well worth giving it a go next year.
  • ronstrutt
    Update as end oct approaches.
    ronstrutt and sbothwell still to post for oct.

Yes, too much walking instead of cycling of late. This long distance walking can get quite addictive. Unfortunately, it hurts a lot more than cycling!
    Based on the last couple of additions, it looks like Pdstsp is designing his routes with 62.1miles in mind. Fair enough if it's on the unicycle!

I sometimes find I'm ending a ride having to take a diversion to get it over the 100.