single speeding

1235»

Comments

• KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Im loving those Retro Kona pics,reminds me of my old Lava Dome with Project 2 forks.
    I can appreciate the concept of single speed and rigid bikes but im not sure my fitness is up to it these days :(
  • Bengdogg
    Bengdogg Posts: 383
    I have a gary fisher rig 29er that i bought in nov, my giant trance hardly gets used now, gearing is standard at 32/18 i tried 16 but i just couldnt get enough power through the crank, i ride on cannock chase mostly and it is perfect for there, the bike has been left stock apart from barends and avid juicy 3's with a 203mm front disc. The rear hub has just stopped working propperly and has been taken in for a bit of mending. Im thinking of getting another hardtail with gears now as i just dont need a full suss to ride over the chase
    You just gotta peddle
  • TommyK
    TommyK Posts: 177
    Right then, got a 34T/16T set up. None of my local shops had short chainring bolts, so Mr file came out. Just waiting for charlie the bike monger to send my tensioner and I'm away.
    (Cue nervous excitement) :?
    -Monkey-like creature, only with less digits!!-

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1835856/
  • off-one
    off-one Posts: 155
    Heres the latest incarnation of my Inbred. Its running 32/18 gives you a fighting chance in Sheffield. And the CF makes for a really comfy ride.
    I bought a FSR XC in September and have only used it twice since I built this.
    pbpic1786443.jpg
  • unocogero
    unocogero Posts: 47
    A nice looking bike...and a good ratio choice I think!

Here is my new project, a 1990 Kona Fire Mountain...any advice on working on an older bike?

I've already had a nightmare with the brakes!

pbpic1918543.jpg
  • maddmatt
    maddmatt Posts: 166
    Just thought id leave a quick reply, just built my first singlespeed bike! Used an old (last millenium!) diamond back frame. On-one kit on it and original rigid forks, and im impressed at how smooth it is over bumps too. And singlespeeding is so easy and fun. The purest form of mtbing!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    :D:D:D finally got my GT sorted as a proper singlespeed tonight :D:D:D Originally set it up with 46/16 and a tensioner but made the change to 42/15 and no tensioner :D:D:D . There is a little give in the chain so the BB isn't stressed from an overtight chain. Next step I think is to get a 2nd hand hanger and chop it down to fit the profile of the dropout without having the dangly bit for the rear mech.

th_29262_DSC00608_122_806lo.JPG

The original set-up can be found in my sig for a few more days till I change it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • el rijidio
    el rijidio Posts: 23
    Wow, threee wicked projects. That Kona looks lovely and I'm a fan of old diamondbacks and am a suckere for a GT as it was my first bike. I am jealous of all three of you!!!
    "You're not hardcore until you live hardcore"
  • Johnclimber
    Johnclimber Posts: 92
    Any of you lot up to Drumlanrig for SSUK this weekend?

See you there?

http://www.ssuk08.com