single speeding

Comments

• Also have asked next door to clean their garage as it's a bit dirty for photos.

The garage really does let it down :lol: Maybe they could clean your tyres while they're at it :lol:
  • AdamP
    AdamP Posts: 105
    I leave the tyres dirty so it looks like I ride on stuff other than paved cycle paths round the town centre. It's like mud on the 4x4, makes it look necessary.... :D
    Trek 8500 w/ Singlespeed Conversion - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1697041/
    Airnimal Chameleon
  • A quick question for you:
    Would it go against the essence of single speed to run discs or would XT v's be better?
    I've got a set of discs and disc wheels and a set of mint D521's non-disc wheels and v's ready to use, but can't decide :? Whichever I use the other set will have to go.
    HELP please
    :shock:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just had a colouredchain added to my SS, didn't cost me a penny, now a red oxide colour :cry: Think time I got the lube on it. Damn rain.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    Personally I think discs are more suitable for a single speed, as they need much less attention that running v-brakes.
  • would XT v's be better?

I really think V's would be better, simpler, lighter and more in keeping with the single speed, simple life, spirit of cycling with one gear.

Discs are nice but we don't need them for xc really...anyway, the weaker the brakes, the faster you go round the corners!!!
  • would XT v's be better

UIno Cogero doesnt brake at all. He is super quick through single track. Run V's and that's all you will need for SS. The more you brake the slower you go. Brake less, keep your cadence up, go faster, ride better.

Try running just a rear v brake perhaps???

Discs are only really needed for the big stuff. SS is cool casue its simple. V's need more maintenance but thats fun, the bike should be so simple a kid could keep one running - that's the point - they take us back to being kids.

Whjen discs dont work, you cannot stop on trail to fix, you need to get a bleed kit out - no fuin!!!
    "You're not hardcore until you live hardcore"
  • The more you brake the slower you go. Brake less, keep your cadence up, go faster, ride better.
    :lol:

I do like V's as that's what I'm used to but as I had a set of Hayes MX2's I WAS going to try them. Seems I'm not going to now :lol:

Anyone want a set of disc wheels and discs, going cheap???? :)
  • £100 ono for the lot. Got brand new pads for the discs too.
  • off-one
    off-one Posts: 155
    If your going to use your bike all year round, then for me its got to be discs. Especially if you've already got a set. Discs make more sense for wet muddy trails.Isnt that the point of a single speed to keep riding all year round? I hated setting Vs up certainly no fun for me.Sure you'll eat pads but their wont be any rim or cable issues.
    Click on the link to see my SS.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1674244/
  • :? OK then. And I've just bought another Arch Rival to get a pair :? And I've just picked up an as new pair of mavic D521's on LX non-disc hubs to run for SS.
    I think it's split 50/50 for discs or v's. I understand the advantages of discs but also the simplicity of v's. Then again my discs are simple units, Hayes MX2's. Got to decide soon as the frame needs to be built.
  • off-one
    Im sure you'll find discs far easier.I dont buy into this V brake simplicity lark.
    I've used discs for 1year now the pads are a doddle to change and I havent needed to bleed them.I go out in all weathers and ride in the peaks so they get some hammer.Flying down hill in the wet you know your going to stop,theres no awful grinding noises and cable adjusting.For me its a no brainer
  • robbie7
    robbie7 Posts: 292
    i would never use v's not a good idea, i have just changed my frame due to my other snapping. new genesis io. comments welcome. also what do you all reckon, front sus or rigid carbon forks?

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1721580
  • Just sorted out a pair of Pace RC36's which are disc only, so my mind has been made up for me. Discs it is. Shame about the Mavics and Arch Rivals though :D The build has started, Got a new Blackspire 34t Dual Slalom front ring fitted, new DMR V8's, got a set of 24 spoke disc wheels on the way. All this hassle because I want to see if it'll work or not. Here's hoping 8)
  • i got a Giant Rincon for 1p and i converting it to single speed im trying to spend as little as possible. i need to convert the cogs at the back and front.
    Any advise on what to get.
    Pain is Temporary, Failure is Forever.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Take spare cogs of the front... On one single speeding kit for rear cog and tensioner.
  • kl thanks
  • im going to run it 34/18 or 34/16 is this a good idea or should i get a 32 on the front?
  • off-one
    Hulloo, I live in sheffield very hilly and find 32/18 gives me a fighting chance on most hills.
    Totally useless on the flat, but then theres not a lot of that in Sheff.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1674244/
  • off-one wrote:
    Hulloo, I live in sheffield very hilly and find 32/18 gives me a fighting chance on most hills.

32:18 is a good winter compromise in mud as well...but you are right about flat tarmac...
  • sebthebum wrote:
    i got a Giant Rincon for 1p and i converting it to single speed im trying to spend as little as possible. i need to convert the cogs at the back and front.
    Any advise on what to get.

If on-one haven't any stock then try Charlie the Bike Monger on ebay. He does a whole conversion kit, cogs and spacers, tensioner and chain for £45.

He also inludes things you don't think about like the longer bolts you need to re-attach your front middle ring once you have removed the other two rings.

Hope this helps!
  • ride_whenever
    I use 32:16 but am switching to 36:17 i'd say 2:1 for a start...

Oh and i forgot about the shorter bolts.
  • I use 32:16 but am switching to 36:17 i'd say 2:1 for a start...

Oh and i forgot about the shorter bolts.

It's a fine balance. You don't want it so easy you get no speed but equally you don't want it so hard you put your gears back on straight away!

The best test is riding your geared bike on a loop you know and finding a gear that is a challeange but not a killer...
  • ride_whenever
    Or buy a kit that does 16/18 and then see which is better. You can start with you 32, and go to 2:1 or slightly harder. If you cannot get it right then change front ring to a decent middleburn hardcoat one in a 36 or a 34 depending on how you feel.
  • Or buy a kit that does 16/18 and then see which is better. You can start with you 32, and go to 2:1 or slightly harder. If you cannot get it right then change front ring to a decent middleburn hardcoat one in a 36 or a 34 depending on how you feel.

I've been looking at the middleburn singlespeed set up. Are they particularly light or just super sturdy?
  • ride_whenever
    Middleburn, haven't tried the cranks, which are supposed to be excellent. Although i have used their ring...

I had hardcoat slickshift on my scott, at it revolutionised my shifting. And I have a 36th hardcoat ring on my ss, which is great two, the stainless steel chain hasn't worn it at all even after 6 months of ss loving.
  • Anyone else off to the SSUKs at Drumlanrig this year? Missing an SXC round to do it. Did the Worlds last year and it was an amazing course, and a brilliant laugh.

Converting my new race bike for it- I'll be there on a Scott Scale with carbon rigids and XT wheels. Anyone want to put in a guess at how much that'll weigh? :shock:
  • off-one
    Hopefully I'll be their. With a bit of luck I'll be living in Perth by then so not too far.

Can we have some pics of the Scott when its finished pliz.
  • robbie7
    robbie7 Posts: 292
    i have just built up my genesis io '08' (commentsof course welcome) what i want to know is do i ditch the suspension fork for a carbon rigid. of course i would ditch a kilo, and i do ride in lockout up the hills anyway but what do they ride like?