single speeding

Comments

• unocogero wrote:
    Nice Zaskar by the way!!

How does the new ratio compare??
    tried out the 29/13 and its a bit easy for the road but quite hard up steep hills. The low gearing on the flat apparently makes for a smoother pedal action.
  • Does anyone know the magic gear ratio for this bike??

I would have thought that the best gear ratio for the bike is the one you have been riding most comfortably over the last few months.

I haven't got the maths for proper ratios. I just rode my bike for a while trying out different rear cogs (middle on the front 32 teeth) and then picked the one that was best for where I ride but would still give me a bit of a challenge.

I ended up with 32t front 18t back but in the spring when the mud goes away I'll go to 16. Of course it's all different on the road!

That way you don't have to buy anything for the crank, just a tensioner and a rear cog and spacer. You could be up and running for £40 and shed a load of weight!! Try 'Charlie the Bikemonger' on ebay for bits.

I quite like the random, non technical nature of singlespeeding. It's a little bit about bodging and just seeing what works!
  • wow just seen the new inbred on-one SS for £599! wow! Im sooo tempted...
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    yer it looks a right bargain if i had the money i would want one
  • I wish they sold them on HP, thats the only way now i could ever afford one :(

kids do that to your wallet :roll:

Oh no now i want one again, i was so depressed when i sold my 'Dmr Switchback' chromo i nearly got over it, o can feel it coming over me again,,,sniff,,,sniff,,,sniff...chromo,,,,chromo,,,,chromo :cry:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1347023/

KEEPING IT REAL RIDING STEEL
  • I've changed to 36:16 and to trailrakers and in the last three weeks i've got a lot fitter. Also, my spring loaded tensioner exploded this morning, so it was a roadside bodge for the commute in. fortunately it isn't exactly far!
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    Could be somethng in this single speeding lark you know! I've been trying it out on the lunchtime ride on my ancient Giant GSR101 steel framed MTB - it's got a roadie chainwheel on so the lowest I can get on the front is 43T - luckily lunchtimes is just round bridleways in Milton Keynes which is fairly flat - so I've stuck it on an 18t sprocket on the the rear set and left it like that with the derailleur disabled. Fitness and endurance certainly seem to have improved though one ride dead into the force 8 gale a couple of weeks agao was a killer :roll:
    Been useful though as on today's riden the gears got so cacked up with Northamptonshire clay I ended up stuck on 44T/18T on my "good" bike but managed to get back - even forcing it up some smallish hills!
    Now all I need to do is save up fo a "proper" conversion kit and Single Speed heaven awaits :lol:
  • I've changed to 36:16 and to trailrakers and in the last three weeks i've got a lot fitter. Also, my spring loaded tensioner exploded this morning, so it was a roadside bodge for the commute in. fortunately it isn't exactly far!

I love trailrakers on the rear of my singlespeed in the winter with a Panaracter cinder up front. They are pretty light too.
  • unocogero wrote:
    I love trailrakers on the rear of my singlespeed in the winter with a Panaracter cinder up front. They are pretty light too.

TraIlrakers seem to be doing the business at the moment. Is there a single speed tyre debate here or do the same rules apply to any tyre debate???

I'm looking out for some really lightweight tyres for winter singlespeeding mainly singletrack - anyone reccomend any?
    "You're not hardcore until you live hardcore"
  • Also has anyone got a 29'er - I am looking at them, but would love to hear from some owners?
    "You're not hardcore until you live hardcore"
  • AdamP
    AdamP Posts: 105
    Hello,

I just converted my older bike to single speed. fantastic

Trek 8500, magura ronin 80mm fork, xt cranks

running 36:18.

Schwalbe Racing Ralphs for speed on mavic wheels.

It fun. Feels dirty, but fun

(also have a Trek Fuel 98 with lots of cogs and things for when I'm being normal)

Cheers

:D
    Trek 8500 w/ Singlespeed Conversion - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1697041/
    Airnimal Chameleon
  • Bargin of the season

http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/06-Gary-...Bike-Clerig.aspx

29" wheels, single speed, front suss and only £400
  • I've been noticing a lot of you going on about ratios. When I got in touch with Charlie The Bike Monger asking advice on converting a full suss into a single speed, he recommended running a ratio of 2:1, ie 32 front 16 on the back, 34 front 17 on the back etc. Obviously this is just a start point depending on what you ride or how strong/fit you are. Hope this helps.
    Has anyone converted a full suss to singlespeed btw?
    :?
  • i thought there were problems with SS FS bikes? :?
  • I know Kona did a ss fs bike a few years ago. I know the chain tension would be upset by some fs systems but with Marins or the I-drive systems,which I'd be using, I can't see this being a problem. I'd use a sprung tensioner just in case. I'd just like to know if anyone has actually done it or used one before i convert.
  • I know Kona did a ss fs bike a few years ago. I know the chain tension would be upset by some fs systems but with Marins or the I-drive systems,which I'd be using, I can't see this being a problem. I'd use a sprung tensioner just in case. I'd just like to know if anyone has actually done it or used one before i convert.

I would be really interested to know how you get on with a singlespeed full suss. In principle why wouldn't it work as long as you were using a sprung chain tensioning device rather than a fixed one.

I think that is the key. Of course you could just use the old rear mech as the tensioning device I suppose. The main thing is to maintain chain tension during suspension movement...

Go for it!!!

(I read somewhere that you can use a Rohloff speedhub on a full sus with a tensioner...so surely it should work)
  • JWYATT-18
    JWYATT-18 Posts: 114
    SS is the best i got a 24seven slacker limited edtion not much of a XC but it works for me , i follow my mate on a stump jumper the elite one i leave him well far back up all the hills as i'm at the top he is there in the lowest gear, SS is great it push's you more and more and you keep a certain speed
  • Nearly got all the bits to finish the build on my Fs SS bike. Just waiting on delivery of a wheel and deciding whether to keep the discs or go back to my trusty old V's to be a bit of a weight weenie :shock: Nah not really. I just like V's for the simplicty. Maybe I'll post pics of both set ups to see what you think. I'll keep you posted. Not that many, if any, of you out there are interested. :mrgreen:
  • robbie7
    robbie7 Posts: 292
    hi all.
    i have just bought a new GIANT XTC Zero and want to convert to single speed. does anyone know what the best chain tensioner would be to use also where is the best place to get spacers for the rear?
  • off-one
    off-one Posts: 155
    Im using an On One tensioner and spacers bought from CRC £10 each .They have a good selection of other single speed stuff, or Charlie the Bikemonger has loads of gear on ebay.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The absolute only way to ensure constant chainlength is to have the main pivot of a single pivot bike that wraps around the BB shell, or a concentric pivot. Unforttunately the idrive and Marin mentioned above do exp some chain growth.
  • supersonic wrote:
    The absolute only way to ensure constant chainlength is to have the main pivot of a single pivot bike that wraps around the BB shell, or a concentric pivot. Unforttunately the idrive and Marin mentioned above do exp some chain growth.

Hopefully the chain tensioner which I'll be using will solve the problem.
    Just looked at your pix,you're a GT whore :D . Got to admit though, I do like GTs. I've a Karakoram with the 'groove tube' top tube, an XCR 2000 frame and an Arrowhead frame. It's a shame they were bought out :cry:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Aye, I got a bit of a thing for GT! Got an Avalanche too... Zaskar my favorite though, proper vintage ride, but still going strong.
  • I'll keep you posted. Not that many, if any, of you out there are interested. :mrgreen:

Sad I know, but i'm interested!

Go for V's, it's more in the single speed spirit!
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    rather like the guy doing whites level yesterday at Afan.
    rigid singlespeed. not sure Im up to that sort of punsihment anymore!
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    247 make a full sus with concentric bb pivot, also the cove g-spot is the same. Someone had a kona full suss that they'd ssed as well. I like the dual spring tensioners, they had a rigid arm and a spring loaded arm attatched so you set the main tension with the rigid part then the spring does the excess/chain growth. I have a mkII mr man one i think from the woolly hat shop on ebay, but I'd imagine charlie would have something a bit better quality.
  • AdamP
    Ok, not a FS SS but here's mine -
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1697041/

Opinions welcome!

Airnimal Chameleon
  • robbie7
    robbie7 Posts: 292
    i would like to thank you all for your advice i have at last converted!! i bought a DMR SS Conversion Kit, a 4Jeri Tensioner and a KMC Pro chain and i am away!!!
    Thanks again.
  • AdamP
    chain looks a bit slack...

:oops:

cleverly noticed this after the photos were taken a month or so ago. Now have a nice tight chain and the wheels go round proper.

Please ignore chain tightness - photo not indicative of normal proceedings.... (D'OH!)

Also have asked next door to clean their garage as it's a bit dirty for photos.

Airnimal Chameleon