single speeding

Comments

• keep the forks
    Pain is Temporary, Failure is Forever.
  • robbie7 wrote:
    i have just built up my genesis io '08' (commentsof course welcome) what i want to know is do i ditch the suspension fork for a carbon rigid. of course i would ditch a kilo, and i do ride in lockout up the hills anyway but what do they ride like?

Lovely looking bike. I like the simple lines and narrow tubes, very elegant.

As for the fork...keep it. Even a locked out Reba has considerably more give than a rigid fork. It's not worth the cost or the weight loss to be slower on singletrack and risk more offs. I have ridden both back to back and the rigid fork is hard work...fun for a short blast but hard work for a couple of hours on singletrack.

I have two Rebas and I wouldn't change them for anything
  • robbie7
    robbie7 Posts: 292
    thanks for the comments i like it, thanks for the advice ido like the feel of them just wondered if it was worth the change.
  • Like they said, keep them. At SSWC last year it was a pain being on a bike with suspension being held up by people who'd gone rigid to save weight but weren't good enough riders to go fast with them.
  • On a single speed is it better to get a tensioner that pushes the chain up(like the Gusset Bachelor Tensioner) or one that pushes the chain down ( like the On One doofer)
    Pain is Temporary, Failure is Forever.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My Gusset Batchelor pulls, rather than push. All down to the clearsnce of the dropout and frame.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Mine pushes up, down, lifts and separates :lol: Pix soon of my ss rig, just a few more bits and it's done :D
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    Always best to push up as that way you get more wrap around the sprocket, however in the real world both systems work fine.

The issue of rigid forks really depends on where you mainly ride. I have rigids on the front on my singlespeed (together with a 2.25 ust tyre) and as most of my riding is on swoopy woodland singletrack (Swinley Forest & nearby) it is rarely makes much difference. There is definitely an advantage on short sharp hill climbs were there is much less flex from rigids than from locked out full-suss forks, on long steady seated climbs I doubt it makes much difference. The only thing that causes a problem are sharp edged bumps where the wheel really doesn't want to roll over them, I can only think of a couple of local trails where this is a problem. If I lived somewhere rocky I would probably go back to suspension. I find the rigid forks more predictable when riding through mud or sand.

For me it just makes the local riding a bit more challenging and fun.
  • I have a dual one, the main arm is fixed and pushes up for good wrap, then the sprung arm pushes down for fine tension.
  • Hi all - help needed by singlespeed newbie!!!

I have got a 2007 Orange frame that I am building up into a singlespeed. I have got some 2007 XT brakes to fit on.
    The rear caliper needs to sit 10mm away from the disc mounts on the frame for the disc to run in the caliper.
    Is this normal or have completly missed something?!

Cheers
  • robbie7
    robbie7 Posts: 292
    does anyone out there fancy buying my genesis io? as you can see it is a gorgeous bike comes with rebas, or bontrager carbon rigid's? would want a good price?
  • scott79, have you got the adaptor in place or are you trying to mount the caliper directly to the frame. sounds like you need a brake adaptor, cheap on crc. Post pictures/specs and we can make sure you have the right ones.
  • I have got an IS 160mm adaptor on the caliper.

Just waiting for camera battery to charge and I shall get a picture on.

Can I put picture straight on?
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/23500960@N02/

Pictures aren't brilliant due to low battery power and lack of flash.
  • It looks like you need a couple of spacers in there. Due to the thickness of the sliding dropouts the caliper has to be further from the frame than with a normal fixed dropout. I used to have a sliding drop out Inbred which had the same issue. The Inbred frames are supplied with two thick washers to do the job. If you bought your Orange new I would have thought it would be supplied with them. If not contact Orange directly. Alternatively you could space it out with several washers, don't forget you will need longer bolts too.
  • Thanks for advice. I have managed to get the spacers from my mate (who bought the frame new).
    I have got some black washers and longer bolts just in case the original spacers don't work.
  • Planet_x111
    Planet_x111 Posts: 259
    edited May 2008
    :?
  • paulf2007 wrote:
    unocogero wrote:
    Nice Zaskar by the way!!

How does the new ratio compare??
    tried out the 29/13 and its a bit easy for the road but quite hard up steep hills. The low gearing on the flat apparently makes for a smoother pedal action.
    I may have pushed my luck a little too far. I changed the gear ratio from 29/13 to 29/12 and was ok, but a little low geared for the flat so I changed the chainring to 32. So 32/12 is 2.6 and on my last training ride I had to get off and walk the steepest hill on our traing route. Now I'm not sure whether that was because my saddle was too low for the 7 miles leading that hill and I was tired when I got there or the fact that ratio is just to high. I will try it again tuesday.
  • paulf2007 wrote:
    paulf2007 wrote:
    unocogero wrote:
    Nice Zaskar by the way!!

tried out the 29/13 and its a bit easy for the road but quite hard up steep hills. The low gearing on the flat apparently makes for a smoother pedal action.
    I may have pushed my luck a little too far. I changed the gear ratio from 29/13 to 29/12 and was ok, but a little low geared for the flat so I changed the chainring to 32. So 32/12 is 2.6 and on my last training ride I had to get off and walk the steepest hill on our traing route. Now I'm not sure whether that was because my saddle was too low for the 7 miles leading up to that hill and I was tired when I got there or the fact that ratio is just to high. I will try it again tuesday.
  • paulf2007 wrote:
    paulf2007 wrote:
    paulf2007 wrote:
    unocogero wrote:
    Nice Zaskar by the way!!

I may have pushed my luck a little too far. I changed the gear ratio from 29/13 to 29/12 and was ok, but a little low geared for the flat so I changed the chainring to 32. So 32/12 is 2.6 and on my last training ride I had to get off and walk the steepest hill on our traing route. Now I'm not sure whether that was because my saddle was too low for the 7 miles leading up to that hill and I was tired when I got there or the fact that, that ratio is just to high. I will try it again tuesday.
    just a thought, I recently saw a single speed frame salsa hsolo which is no longer made and was too large for me, but would like something like it. Any ideas.
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/use ... cart11.htm scroll down the page and click on the frame and enjoy
  • Planet_x111
    Planet_x111 Posts: 259
    edited May 2008
    :twisted: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :twisted:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

I like the minimalist approach to the chain :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • It's a new 'invisible' chain that Sram are developing so that Shimano can't copy it :lol:
  • robbie7 wrote:
    i have just built up my genesis io '08' (commentsof course welcome) what i want to know is do i ditch the suspension fork for a carbon rigid. of course i would ditch a kilo, and i do ride in lockout up the hills anyway but what do they ride like?

Hey there,

I have a retro rigid Kona. This has accidentally become my favourite ride of all time!!!! I would never have chosen it, it's just what was on ebay at an affordable price.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1723190/

I would go rigid for a single speed everytime.(providing it's steel or Ti) for no other reason than it puts it as far away from your other bikes as possible. It's purer and amazing fun. No you cant ride it everywhere as fast, but if the good things about ss (fitter, better skilled, more fun, simple, minimal, light etc) mean that rigid makes sense. Otherwise why not keep your geared front susser and stick in the same cog for some rides??? You've got to make your ss a radical experience, different from anything else you own, uncompromising...loook at the guys in Norway on their ss bikes - all rigid, skipping over stuff we struggle without 6inches of travel!

In short if it wont cost you , try rigid up front!

I'd be intersted in Cogero's response to this in particluar.....
    "You're not hardcore until you live hardcore"
  • I know it's a bit geeky, just wanted to stick the spec on as I'm chuffed to bits with the bits I've been adding:

restored '94 kona explosif tange prestige frame
    mavic rims
    Project 2 forks
    xt hubs
    xt crank
    xt v brakes
    avid levers
    xt hoses
    x lite saddle
    use titanium seatpost
    x lite spacers
    x lite crank bolt
    Cane Creek headset

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1723190/

Thanks for humouring me!!
  • http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1723188/

SWEEEET dude. Nice build Cogero. What's the weight on this wippet?
  • el rijidio wrote:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1723188/

SWEEEET dude. Nice build Cogero. What's the weight on this wippet?

It's now just under 24lbs...I'm not sure what I can do to make it lighter now. New saddle (if my charge spoon ever turns up) and maybe a middleburn crank when I have some more money.

How much does that Kona weigh?
  • I think it's looking at 23 lbs. I think any lighter than this and it all gets way too expensive and you compromise durabilty a bit. SS is all about using what you've got. The biek cost me £200. Best £200 ever spent!!!!
  • TommyK
    TommyK Posts: 177
    Oh dear oh dear....right you S/S oddballs!

You've got my brain in a single speed induced odd mode where I find the urge to strip £250 worth of mech/shifters/cassette of my beautiful Ti hardtail. This all started with the rigid fork......Where will it end??? :shock: :twisted:

I'll try to resist this heathen-like behaviour! :wink:

P.S I found out how to post a piccy of me bike (admittedly i'm an IT nightmare!)
    -Monkey-like creature, only with less digits!!-

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1835856/
  • Superb. I would love a ti hardtail....my dream bike. If you're not ss ing I would definately reccomend it, but perhaps starting by stripping off wll that kit is a bit reckless. !!!