Dragon Ride

Comments

• ed_m
    ed_m Posts: 131
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cj</i>

(Anyone know if the road is closed for IMUK?)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

no chance [V]

<center><font color="blue"><font size="1">____________________
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
    </font id="size1"></font id="blue"></center>
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
  • Jakecp
    Jakecp Posts: 85
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bronzie</i>

That was me - knew as soon as I hit the deck what I'd done. Amazingly, from the brief inspection I've done, my bike survived without a scratch. The guy I hit must have had a very soft rectum.[}:)] If you are reading this chap, I apologise for unleashing a torrent of filfth from my mouth - wasn't really aimed at you, just so pi55ed off at busting a bone. Apreciate you apologising to me before I was carted off - these things happen and I'm sure you didn't want to hit the deck any more than I did.

That would be me... pretty cr@p thing to happen all round - sorry you couldn't finish the ride. I did finish, but my body's not in such a good way at the mo. Bike got a bent rear mech, (see post in Know How) but can be bent back I'm assured... Can't believe such a small stone in the road caused so much chaos.

Hope you make a speedy recovery...

basta pasta
    basta pasta
  • timcla
    timcla Posts: 88
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oldwelshman</i>

I want to say a big respect to all those who did any of these rides and in doing so achieved something personal.
    I saw many riders of all shapes and sizes and some women all putting in hard efforts to get round.
    i saw some doing the shorter route struggling like hell up the bwlch 2nd time and still trying. In fact they were putting in more effort than me to be honest so it is not just about the times, thats what I believe makes a sportive and why I enjoy them.
    I gave encouragement to a few strugglers on the climbs, just hope they understood me whilst I was gasping and speaking in welsh accent [8D]

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Well said Oldwelshman, didn't know who you were till I read this.You passed me on the second run up bwlch, looked at me,winked and gave some encouragement. That was a real uplift, thanks. 200km in 7.35 ! Not the fastest but ok for me.
    I thought it was a good event,and no rain, that made my day.

'fitness is for life'
    fitness is for life
  • Browneaves
    Browneaves Posts: 52
    I am probably the man with the 'large' saddlepack on his seatpost - and I am coming at this slighly differently from most of you, not being a regular in cycling events like this but basically a cycling commuter who fancied a challenge. And living in Porthcawl it was close

As such I thought it was a superb day out - a real challenge (the shorter ride). Bananas, jam tarts and welsh cakes were a good selection I thought (although it must have been frustrating if they had run out). There were plenty of other places to stop apart from the feed stations if you were hungry - I know this is no good if you are racing for a good time, but it only takes a couple of minutes.

I thought the atmosphere was really good, the marshalling very clear, and the motorcycle support riders helpful. In Neath I saw a police motorbike pull a car over for getting o close to the bikes - not often you see this round here. I do agree about the finish though - maybe the event could start and finish on the A48 at Stormy Down - this would give an even more 'challenging' finish over Llangeinor and then Cefn Cribwr.

And it is a bit of a mystery why they disguised a bike cleaner as a gel

My thanks to all for a really good day out.
  • vermootencp
    vermootencp Posts: 1,298
    any sign of the pictures being made available? the photographer's site was last updated 2 years ago it seems

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font size="1">"I'll do what I can to help y'all. But the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."
    </font id="size1">
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font>"I\'ll do what I can to help y\'all. But the game\'s out there, and it\'s play or get played. That simple."
    </font>
  • 15threes
    15threes Posts: 20
    http://www.philoconnor.com/dragon2007/front.htm

Images from the recent Dragon Ride in Wales will be available to view on this site from late Wednesday 27th June 2007
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jalapeno</i>

just to add.... comparing Dragon to continental sportifs... bear in mind that entry costs here are correspondingly lower, much of the organisation on the continent is done by full-on, full time organisations dedicated to that effort with paid 'employees' with vastly greater sponsorship than in the UK, and they have the benefit of working within an understanding populace with a much greater awareness/appreciation of cycling.
    Personally I thought the Dragon was spot on, not perfect but a bloody good effort.

http://www.mikesbikepages.me.uk
    http://www.mikesimagination.net
    http://mikesimagination.wordpress.com

hear hear, that's well said; we can all, always, find room to improve, cyclists through riding and getting faster , smooter etc...... we all do don't we? Well the organisers are no different, they will learn and improve as well. So far I think they're efforts are fantastic and I look forward to next year - Maybe learn from the Etape Caledonia and try closed roads - Welsh assembly and all that!!!

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • PutneyJoe
    PutneyJoe Posts: 242
    some pix up already!
  • vermootencp
    vermootencp Posts: 1,298
    me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font size="1">"I'll do what I can to help y'all. But the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."
    </font id="size1">
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font>"I\'ll do what I can to help y\'all. But the game\'s out there, and it\'s play or get played. That simple."
    </font>
  • That's expensive and also limiting: I'd prefer to simply buy the electronic pic and print my own like other sportives...not sure I will bother which is very disappointing.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • groucho
    groucho Posts: 1,777
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vermooten</i>

me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    </font id="size1">

....with support vehicle![;)]

There was a silence between us, an unspoken acknowledgement that I would be paying the bill.
    There was a silence between us, an unspoken acknowledgement that I would be paying the bill.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jake</i>

That would be me... pretty cr@p thing to happen all round - sorry you couldn't finish the ride. I did finish, but my body's not in such a good way at the mo. Bike got a bent rear mech, (see post in Know How) but can be bent back I'm assured... Can't believe such a small stone in the road caused so much chaos.

Hope you make a speedy recovery...

Cheers Jake - see you carried on to finish - fair play to you fella, that fall must have hurt you.

For what its worth, my mate at the back of our group said our tumble was one of the most spectacular he's seen for a while! [xx(]

He also told me that he got chatting to someone at the next feed and that dropped manhole cover has claimed a few cyclists..........shame nobody from the local council can get it sorted then. I'll report it on the CTC website now I've got time to kill.

Going to be off the road until August, but I hope to be able to get on the turbo soon.

Hope you are feeling up to riding again soon yourself. Safe riding fella!

===========================================================================
    http://www.ccluton.com (It's a lifestyle!!)
  • <font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">

Have just joined the Forum, after reading all the other posts and felt I had to have my say.

First Dragon Ride and only second Sportif (Cotswold Ride last year), pulled the curtains back at 6am to a downpour.......[:(]

Excellent Marshalls, Route direction and a real pleasure to ride with other 'convicts of the road'. On the down side rubbish time not helped by a Puncture after 5 miles, stopping to admire the views, that queue at the second feed and then spending 40mins looking for my mate with a Marshall, a Special Constable and the staff at the final feed, before i discovered he had passed me on that short climb that led onto the Bwlch for the second time.[:(!] [:(!]

Never mind a great day out, next up the Autumn Epic....

Any do it last year?

"I want your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle...."
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by .Wilier.</i>

Ive read most of the comments on here, and thought Id leave mine although they seem to go against the flow of most of the comments.

Id have to say that I was fairly dissapointed with the whole thing to be honest.
    This was my first experience of a British sportive (although Ive done French ones and LOTS of road.MTB raceing) and if the Dragon is supposed to be the premier ride in the UK, then I fear the worst for the others.
    -The starting procedure, whilst good in principal, was pretty much a shambles with no real direction from any marshals as to where to queue, just join the mass of bodies and push in.....
    -The route was OK, some decent climbing, but like Mark said, the extra route was just a waste of time. No extra climbs to speak of, just rolling heavy roads.
    -The feed stops were hectic to say the least and the fact that the second stop on the big loop was way too far into the ride and had no supplies left was just, well, rubbish to be fair. These riders were doing an extra loop and they werent looked after at all. When wearrived there was just water left, which was running out fast.
    -The ride through the town and up the steepest climb of the day was dangerous. All that glorious country-side, and we have to ride through a busy town!!
    -riding Blych twice was a little boring, Im sure there are other climbs in the area which would have given just as much of a challenge, and why oh why would you put a feed at the bottom of a climb??
    All in all I think for œ23 it was a bit of a rip off. The goody bag was a waste of time, a bottle, some water and de-greaser?? No food or anything, bit pants really.
    On the plus side, the marshals, the police and the people working the feed's were brilliant. Most of the riders were very friendly, although it really bugs me when people sit on your wheel for 15 miles, then charge away only to blow 2 minutes up the road.
    I was riding with 2 buddies from CC Giro (in the pink and blue if anyone saw us) and even though Ive been fairly critical of the whole thing I did enjoy it in the most part, although like Ive already said, considering this is is supposed to be THE sportive in the UK, it was fairly poor. I was also very annoyed by the second feed and by the fact that basically, I paid œ23 to ride on open roads and got pretty much nothing for it (apart from sore legs)

Dont think I'll bother next year.

As for someone commenting on the moaners organising their own rides next year, by my calcs the organisers took approx œ58k from entries alone, take some money out for fees etc.......the Dragon Ride should have been better.

Wilier.

http://www.abyteapart.com

thats just what i thought. could`nt see the point .
    it`s not a race , it`s not far enough to be a challenge, all on public road that i can ride at any time i want to, just dont get this sportive thing.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • jalapeno
    jalapeno Posts: 1,009
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sub55</i>

it`s not a race , it`s not far enough to be a challenge, all on public road that i can ride at any time i want to, just dont get this sportive thing.

so.. the enjoyment of having a laugh or a chat with lots of other cyclists, sharing a good day out, having a blast in a paceline etc means nothing... you'd rather just go riding on your own? nothing wrong with that, it's not a critiscm but personally I go along for the social side, ride with folk from all over the country. an opportunity I don't get in the local race scene or bashing out the training miles.

there's also the thing about supporting an event that can only do good by raising awareness of cycling within the community.

http://www.mikesbikepages.me.uk
    http://www.mikesimagination.net
    http://mikesimagination.wordpress.com

Painted Roads.. colourful cycling adventures
    http://www.paintedroads.com
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Captain Oakley</i>

<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">
    Never mind a great day out, next up the Autumn Epic....

Any do it last year?

The Autumn Epic is a great ride - toughest 86 miles I ever rode. There is no flat all day, and the downhills are generally lanes so you can't get up real speed like you can on the Dragon's wide A-roads. The scenery is stunning and the lanes nearly traffic free. Book your accom and somewhere to eat now as Knighton is a small town.

As for sub55's comments, to most of us mere mortals, 120 miles with nearly 3,000m of climbing is a fair old ride. If you found it too easy, you could always ride it faster? What sort of rides do you normally do?

The reason I do sportives is that I get to ride in different parts of the UK and usually have a great day out. Yes, they are public roads which I could ride any time, but I would have to plan / know the route and generally enjoy riding with others............unless I fall off of course, but that's another story!
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    Everyone is different - a challenge for some is easy for others - and that is why these events have a mass appeal. As said above - ride it faster if the terrain or distance isn't enough.

I enjoyed the event overall - first time I've ridden for more than 2 hours this year - I'm recovering (I'd say recovered as of the weekend!) from a head and neck injury. As a 'heavy' rider I suffered on the hills (lack of time on the bike recently hasn't helped) but was happy to get round the short route in reasonable health if not a great time!

Whilst I didn't 'eat' the chain cleaner, it did eat my chain (Shimano) - after a 2 minute soak part diluted it took the shiny coating right off!! Beware!!!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    [/quote]

<b>it`s not a race , it`s not far enough to be a challenge, all on public road that i can ride at any time i want to, just dont get this sportive thing.</b>
    [/quote]

All of which you knew before turning up and begs the question: why did you enter at all? You're obviously a strong rider, but, here on Earth, 120 miles is a challenge.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sub55</i>

could`nt see the point .
    it`s not a race , it`s not far enough to be a challenge, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I think you'll find that quite a few poeple were actually treating it as such. It depends how you define a race...At what point does something become a challenge? It couldn't have been that easy cause you didn't even come in the the top 25. There were 35 other people that beat you....<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">all on public road that i can ride at any time i want to, just dont get this sportive thing.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Yeah what a bummer! What do you suggest instead, maybe 600 laps around a velodrome? It could get a tad boring though?

The Merckx Diaries with Slieve Maan's tasty 15% sections and 4km in length they'll be able to hear you breathing in Dublin City centre - believe me!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by .Wilier.</i>

Ive read most of the comments on here, and thought Id leave mine although they seem to go against the flow of most of the comments.

Id have to say that I was fairly dissapointed with the whole thing to be honest.
    This was my first experience of a British sportive (although Ive done French ones and LOTS of road.MTB raceing) and if the Dragon is supposed to be the premier ride in the UK, then I fear the worst for the others.
    -The starting procedure, whilst good in principal, was pretty much a shambles with no real direction from any marshals as to where to queue, just join the mass of bodies and push in.....
    -The route was OK, some decent climbing, but like Mark said, the extra route was just a waste of time. No extra climbs to speak of, just rolling heavy roads.
    -The feed stops were hectic to say the least and the fact that the second stop on the big loop was way too far into the ride and had no supplies left was just, well, rubbish to be fair. These riders were doing an extra loop and they werent looked after at all. When wearrived there was just water left, which was running out fast.
    -The ride through the town and up the steepest climb of the day was dangerous. All that glorious country-side, and we have to ride through a busy town!!
    -riding Blych twice was a little boring, Im sure there are other climbs in the area which would have given just as much of a challenge, and why oh why would you put a feed at the bottom of a climb??
    All in all I think for œ23 it was a bit of a rip off. The goody bag was a waste of time, a bottle, some water and de-greaser?? No food or anything, bit pants really.
    On the plus side, the marshals, the police and the people working the feed's were brilliant. Most of the riders were very friendly, although it really bugs me when people sit on your wheel for 15 miles, then charge away only to blow 2 minutes up the road.
    I was riding with 2 buddies from CC Giro (in the pink and blue if anyone saw us) and even though Ive been fairly critical of the whole thing I did enjoy it in the most part, although like Ive already said, considering this is is supposed to be THE sportive in the UK, it was fairly poor. I was also very annoyed by the second feed and by the fact that basically, I paid œ23 to ride on open roads and got pretty much nothing for it (apart from sore legs)

Dont think I'll bother next year.

As for someone commenting on the moaners organising their own rides next year, by my calcs the organisers took approx œ58k from entries alone, take some money out for fees etc.......the Dragon Ride should have been better.

Wilier.

http://www.abyteapart.com

Well you could always ride to and from the event if it was not far enough for you?
    As you were only 34th maybe you can ride faster next time and win it as you was obviously taking it easy.
    If you really want a challenge you could also push some of the strugglers up the climbs, but some how I think you would not.

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bs147</i>

Whilst I didn't 'eat' the chain cleaner, it did eat my chain (Shimano) - after a 2 minute soak <u>part diluted </u>it took the shiny coating right off!! Beware!!!

I thought it was to make up 2 litres of degreaser? not just part diluted..........

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    For chains and sprockets it said use neat, for less contaminated areas it should be diluted.
  • Really disappointing is the comments on the cyclosport forums of some riders crossing the 200k mat then riding back towards the shorter route..lets hope that it was simply to look for a lost mate...

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • ed_m
    ed_m Posts: 131
    assume you mean the intermediate one ?
    can't understand why that mat was so early anyway.
    don;t even know what distance it was at.

www.ultrarunner.co.uk
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
  • Re the Autunm Epic.....

Thanks for the info, booked the B&B via 'Smoothhound' as soon as the entry was confirmed. Staying at the Bryn Heulog Guest House in Knighton.

Can only access forum at home.... internet access at Work = big no no. [:(]

"Your only supposed to blow the b****y doors off...."
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    to all those peeps who replied to my last post,
    i did`nt say that i did`nt enjoy the event, it was all right.
    organisation was superb, but to reiterate ,whilst i was driving home
    just dont seem to get this sportive lark. i paid œ23 for that!
    for what, i enjoy the social side of cycling, which is why i regulary
    ride audax`s, very sociable riding distances of up to 600k and they cost the princly sum of œ5/6. if i want to race ,i race. both RR`s and TT`s. for the comments that i could have ridden it quicker and that i only finished 34th, if it had been a race with some prize money on the line as the motovating factor i could probably knock 15 mins or so off my time.
    so every aspect of a sportive is covered in some way by another branch of the sport, so why pay œ23.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Hire of leisure centre, hire of transponders, postage of entry packs, advertising, payment for police, payment for paramedics, hire of water bowsers, insurance, signage......

I'll try and find out the o/a cost of ours later in the year.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sub55</i>

to all those peeps who replied to my last post,
    i did`nt say that i did`nt enjoy the event, it was all right.
    organisation was superb, but to reiterate ,whilst i was driving home
    just dont seem to get this sportive lark. i paid œ23 for that!
    for what, i enjoy the social side of cycling, which is why i regulary
    ride audax`s, very sociable riding distances of up to 600k and they cost the princly sum of œ5/6. if i want to race ,i race. both RR`s and TT`s. for the comments that i could have ridden it quicker and that i only finished 34th, if it had been a race with some prize money on the line as the motovating factor i could probably knock 15 mins or so off my time.
    so every aspect of a sportive is covered in some way by another branch of the sport, so why pay œ23.

So I take it we won't have the pleasure of your feedback next year then...? [:)]

• Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143

if i want to race ,i race. both RR`s and TT`s. for the comments that i could have ridden it quicker and that i only finished 34th, if it had been a race with some prize money on the line as the motovating factor i could probably knock 15 mins or so off my time.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yeah thats true. You would have won the sum total of zilch despite the cash incentive! <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">so every aspect of a sportive is covered in some way by another branch of the sport, so why pay œ23.
    Why pay œ5/œ6 to ride an audax? Why not map out a route by yourself and ride it. You could increase the socialability factor by stopping at cafe's and pubs and telling people what you were up to. The TT aspect could be covered by riding the course as fast as you can. Fancy a RR? why not plot the route through the same ground as a local chain gang? Refreshments? Easy bring your own? The challenge aspect? Sod it, ride up 10-15% climbs eight times. Shhit! do i need to go on?

The big club run feel could be sorted by encorporating it into a club run route. Oh and don't forget a few people did the ride to raise money for a particular charity so it would be a good idea to have a little tin attached to the back of your bike rather than setting up some web page. Admittedly all this would take some planning but for a flat-earther like yourself it shouldn't be a problem. You could even go to a local library to save money on maps[:D]

The Merckx Diaries I hope the fella in the white box truck who tried to squeeze me into set of traffic lights outside of Barnet devlops a headache that lasts till the TDF prologue next weekend.