Dragon Ride

Comments

• jalapeno
    jalapeno Posts: 1,009
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PutneyJoe</i>

But to oldwelshman I'd say, as a 42 year old who's been doing this for 2 years now, that the fact that you were an hour faster than me after only a few months and 4 years older is truly sickening. ;-)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    he's probably a reformed fell runner and therefore was born 'ard!

I should have done better but it's only a year ago I was in hospital with tubes and stuff in places you don't really want 'em so I kind of rode within myself to see if I had the legs back

good fun anyway. Any of you guys going to the tour of the black mountains?
    http://www.mikesbikepages.me.uk
    http://www.mikesimagination.net
    http://mikesimagination.wordpress.com

Painted Roads.. colourful cycling adventures
    http://www.paintedroads.com
  • TRhe results are posted, though not in chrono order yet. I'm feeling a little better about my time now! Next year I am not going to off in the first 200, since once you are dropped there's no one left top ride with only faster riders coming through...As regards organisation, I still think the White Horse was better run and was more enjoyable, if not as hard. I disagree with one post about it nor being hard enough - it would be easy enough to send everyone up Llanelly hill 5 times but what would be the point?

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveR_100Milers</i>

TRhe results are posted, though not in chrono order yet. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

will they actually ever be organised into chrono order? I thought that didn't happen for sportives, but I'd be pleased if it did, as it would give me a sense of how I compared. As you say, its impossible otherwise, with the staggered start and the different length routes. So far on here, everyone has been a lot faster than me [:(]
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    I've saved it as an xls file that is sorted to time order; however it doesn't show which route yet, once it does I'll find a way to post it up for all to see.

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I did 7:30:06. Disappointed on the whole. Superb effort by those who did sub-7 hour rides.

For me, the climbs were great and the easiest part of the day. It was the only place I could overtake anyone! There was a climb through a residential area when you turned left at the lights, in Glyn Neath I think, and after descending, there was a nasty rise before turning left and heading off towards the Bwlch for the final time? It began with C anyway. What a great climb that was.

However, I suffered badly elsewhere, particularly going across the Beacons. My gears were out of sorts beforehand and couldn't get the bike booked into the LBS in time for the event. I couldn't get into the gear I wanted and ended up burning off way too much energy trying to push a bigger gear just to try and stay with a group. My little chicken legs aren't built for that so I lost touch with them and rode most of the route up to the feed station at 84 miles on my own. And there I was saved! Mark from Tredz had his bike stand out and was able to re-tune my gears. That basically saved the day for me and it was a great run from there on in.

Did anyone notice the cattle grid immediately after the left turn off a roundabout? I thought that was a genuine hazard for bikes. There was no prior warning and, if it had been wet, there would have been a real risk of sliding into oncoming traffic when the bike's at an angle and at that speed.

The marshalling, signage (the lack of warning about the cattle grid aside) as was the feed station assistance.

The organisers need to make a good few changes along the lines of the comments above. I don't need another water bottle either. I'd swap all of the goodies bag for a free t-shirt. What the organisers would say about this would affect the entry fee is another matter.

The free parking was excellent. Parking is always something you've got to bear in mind. I don't know how this compares with other UK sportives.

I also thought the atmosphere amongst the riders beforehand was good.

Welsh cakes were too dry, but then they're never the most moist things. Always best eaten at the food station.

Jam tarts - first time I've seen that and steered clear.

On the whole, a great day out and should be back next year.

Btw, what speeds did people get up to on the descents? I've got a max of 46.3mph on my speedo, but I'm a cautious descender and there were loads of people going like the clappers past me. [:0]
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • hevipedal
    someone (2 actually) took over 16 hours............ how did they get timed? leave at 0800 and get back at midnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.

Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • I thought the Dragon ride was excellent, a cut above other sportives I have done in the past.

I am used to paying more than double the entry fee to do triathlons and I have to say I would rather have paid an extra couple of quid to get some decent food at the finish. I think it was good value.

I'd recommend the event to anyone, climbs were long but not too steep at all. I enjoyed it, the descents were great fun and felt safe.

For anyone going through the red lights at the end - don't - it gives us all a bad name and a few seconds on your time is not the end of the world.
  • hevipedal
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by killershark</i>

For anyone going through the red lights at the end - don't - it gives us all a bad name and a few seconds on your time is not the end of the world.

also - imagine your mother in law out in the car with your kids in the back screaming at each other; then think about riding a red light across her bows - would you do it?????????????

Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    My only gripe was how far out the feed station was in the middle of the long route. I was out of water by the time I got there.

I did a rubbish time in the end. Started to get some knee pain around 70 miles and by the time I got to the Bwlch for the second time I was ready to give up. Coming from the Herts\Essex flatlands I'd fitted a 29 on the back and went up using a 34/29. Computer says 7 hours but with stops the result says 8.13.

Never mind. More training and I'll be back next year.

Before we left the guest house the landlady said the date would be moved for next year as it clashes with a Spanish ride. So they must have got the Golden Bike status.
  • groucho
    groucho Posts: 1,777
    I did the short route and enjoyed it! 6:14. 30mins quicker than last years short route!
    Very pleased considering I was ill for Feb and March and could only manage a walk to work.

Love the degreaser stories, I tried to get my neighbour to try it when came in but had to tell him just before eating some.

Only ever done this event and the Trans Cambrian where the food was the same quality. I hate bananas so was'nt disappointed when one came out my back pocket and splatted on the road. Though I did eat one at the last feed station, any port in a storm. Lots of riders seem to lose their energy bars on the road!

The second Bwlch climb was tough especially when riders speed past chatting!

Great day out despite carrying all that weather proof stuff.

There was a silence between us, an unspoken acknowledgement that I would be paying the bill.
    There was a silence between us, an unspoken acknowledgement that I would be paying the bill.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jalapeno</i>

hey Oldwelshman, what bike were you riding? would be funny if we'd met? I can never remember faces on bikes, only the machinery, there's one chap I shall forever remember as 'that bloke with the lovely vintage Record titanium seatpost'. very shiny.

I headed off in the 3rd or 4th group of Hundred I was riding a black bike merida frame.
    If you saw me you would remember me [:D] Probably the only rider with tattoos on both legs [:D]
    Steve, It is the same which ever group you ride in.
    In hind sight I would have preferred to have gone in first group as I did about 50 miles with just one guy.
    I was with Jim in a group just after we passed you, by the time we got to top of Brecon there were about 20.
    Going up there and down storeys arms decent it was the same 6 guys doing the work the rest getting a nice tow [:D] so one the little climb towards Defynnog I went off with a strog guy (Ed) from Tri club and we were alone until just before Cimla.

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • bedstead
    bedstead Posts: 15
    I thought it was a great route, I did the short one (4hrs:54) the marshalling and signage was outstanding far superior to the Dartmoor classic. I felt really sorry for the dude with the broken seatpost who had to stand for about 40 miles!!! Jalapeno why didn't you just kick your broken front mech across to get the chain on to the inner ring?? The Hi five was great, but then I like all of those types of drinks mixed weakly. I got a great tow from a couple of Ogmore Valley riders until the climb up through Glyn Neath blew everything apart. The weather was a bouns after what was forcasted, saw loads of riders who seemed to be wearing every bit of cycle kit they owned, and then there was the guy with the enormous bag attached to his seatpost looked like he was on a 2 week tour. All in all a fantastic day, loved it.

http://www.justgiving.com/tourdeeastanglia
  • oldwelshman
    cj:
    I clocked 49.8 mph, I suspect it was on the decent on the long rout just befoe Defynnog as I have clocked 55mph on that before.
    Jalapeno:
    I used to be a coal miner many years ago [:D] Played squash for a few years to decent level but due to knees gave up last November.
    Actually yesterday was the first time I had knee pain cycling so on the last accent of the Bwlch I used lower gears mainly 39/19 and 39/21 thats why I took 4 minutes longer as I was not pushing such high gears. Strang ereally as I rode CGF with 4700m climbing and had no knee pain and it rained loads on that ride and was colder!!
    Steve:
    What do you mean no groups? [:D] We stopped and waited for you to join us [:D]

• jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oldwelshman</i>
    Jalapeno:
    I used to be a coal miner many years ago [:D] Played squash for a few years to decent level but due to knees gave up last November.

what about all that competitive cycling success in the 80s you told us about recently? Come on, own up.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.
  • mookcp
    mookcp Posts: 119
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oldwelshman</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jalapeno</i>

hey Oldwelshman, what bike were you riding? would be funny if we'd met? I can never remember faces on bikes, only the machinery, there's one chap I shall forever remember as 'that bloke with the lovely vintage Record titanium seatpost'. very shiny.

I headed off in the 3rd or 4th group of Hundred I was riding a black bike merida frame.
    If you saw me you would remember me [:D] Probably the only rider with tattoos on both legs [:D]

I think I saw you speeding past... was that you giving an earful to someone who thought pulling over to the right shoulder across the line of your faster group was a good idea?

greg
  • mookcp
    To bring the results announced in this forum down to mere mortal level... 7:45 riding time on the 200K, 8:09 in total, including helping my mate fix his puncture.

First time I have done an event with a power meter and I got dropped by every single group at every hill for the first 80 miles. I would look down at my meter and realise I was now pushing out more than my ten mile TT time and knew that would it end in tears [like, say, last year's Dragon Ride, last year's White Rose Classic...]. It meant I rode most of the ride by myself. At about 80 miles the situation reversed and I started passing loads on hills, but now all the fast groups were long gone!

So I ended up with lots of juice left - probably took it too easy. And I put in my highest 20 minute power output the second time up the Bwlch [seeing my mate a couple minutes ahead of me helped...].

The second rest stop was too far away, especially as the first one was so close. I ended up filling up my water bottles at a cafe before I got the second stop.

Great marshalling, hated the finish through Bridgend, although at least I did not cramp at every red light like last year. The lack of food at the finish was a surprise, and I got in late enough to hear the warning about drinking bike grease [that is one for the record books].

And oldwelshman... 39x21.............? Are your legs made of oak?

greg
  • mookcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mook</i>

To bring the results announced in this forum down to mere mortal level... 7:45 riding time on the 200K, 8:09 in total, including helping my mate fix his puncture.

First time I have done an event with a power meter and I got dropped by every single group at every hill for the first 80 miles. I would look down at my meter and realise I was now pushing out more than my ten mile TT time and knew that would it end in tears [like, say, last year's Dragon Ride, last year's White Rose Classic...]. It meant I rode most of the ride by myself. At about 80 miles the situation reversed and I started passing loads on hills, but now all the fast groups were long gone!

So I ended up with lots of juice left - probably took it too easy. And I put in my highest 20 minute power output the second time up the Bwlch [seeing my mate a couple minutes ahead of me helped...].

The second rest stop was too far away, especially as the first one was so close. I ended up filling up my water bottles at a cafe before I got the second stop.

Great marshalling, hated the finish through Bridgend, although at least I did not cramp at every red light like last year. The lack of food at the finish was a surprise, and I got in late enough to hear the warning about drinking bike grease [that is one for the record books].

greg

And 49mph on the downhill, down from 54mph last year [better brakes this year...?]

greg
  • Official time of 7:04.53....dissapointed not to get under 7 hours but can't really complain as I was originally aiming for 7hr 30m...

I had a top speed of 51.8mph but was struggling to remember where that could have been. Spent plenty of time over 40mph though...

I measured 8,440 feet of ascent - what did others have?

Rich
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought the actual route was excellent, great views, long gentle climbs and nice long descents. Even the weather held out. I thought the pre-race day organisation was pretty good, e.g. posting out the timing chips but...

The 'feed stations' were too spread apart. One at 35km then the next one over 100km!. The fact that the second 'feed station' didn't have any food! and the food was rubbish if you could it (banana or a tea cake/jam tart - wow!). They were also really badly organised, you could waste so much time just trying to get some water. I know you have to be relatively self-sufficient but this takes it to new levels.

I'm not worried about food at the end of the event, to me that's just not required.

I wish there had been a detailed route (OS map) on the site. It would have been better that that route diagram. Also some event standards would be nice.

Having got all that off my chest, it must be one heck of feat to organise the event, so thank you to the organisers and volunteers.
  • jalapeno
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MinusFive</i>

I thought the actual route was excellent, great views, long gentle climbs and nice long descents. Even the weather held out. I thought the pre-race day organisation was pretty good, e.g. posting out the timing chips but...

The 'feed stations' were too spread apart. One at 35km then the next one over 100km!. The fact that the second 'feed station' didn't have any food! and the food was rubbish if you could it (banana or a tea cake/jam tart - wow!). They were also really badly organised, you could waste so much time just trying to get some water. I know you have to be relatively self-sufficient but this takes it to new levels.

I'm not worried about food at the end of the event, to me that's just not required.

I wish there had been a detailed route (OS map) on the site. It would have been better that that route diagram. Also some event standards would be nice.

Having got all that off my chest, it must be one heck of feat to organise the event, so thank you to the organisers and volunteers.

2nd that on food. It's a shame but I tend to know what I want to eat and make sure I have what I need and also spare drink powder so not reliant on anything except water.

• jalapeno
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bedstead</i>

why didn't you just kick your broken front mech across to get the chain on to the inner ring??

http://www.justgiving.com/tourdeeastanglia

re my front mech... the cage was snapped and any attempt to shift by whatever means just unshipped the chain. Besides, I knew I was strong enough to get away with doing it on the 53 so just got on with the job.

• schmiew1
    schmiew1 Posts: 11
    Just checked my time ... got 6:17:23 for the 200km ride... I didn't bother stopping at any of the feed stations so it sounds like I did the right thing. Disappointed by the results would be nice to see the times for riders doing the 200km and 135km seperatley. Also to see some sort of standard would be good also...

Also the finish was let down by lack of water etc, oh well maybe next year will be even better.

What sort of gearing where all you using ??? I had bottom gear of 39x23 and only used that on the last climb (Blwch)..
    Thanks to rider 2040 for sharing the pacing work back to the finish.
  • oldwelshman
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mook</i>

I think I saw you speeding past... was that you giving an earful to someone who thought pulling over to the right shoulder across the line of your faster group was a good idea?

greg

Ah yes it was [:D]
    I could not believe it, there was a group on the left staying to the left ok, then another group passing them all ok, then some guys on the front just pulled across to the other side of the road and stoppded [:D]
    Some riders nearly followed them thinking it was a right turn [:D]
    jpemb your right but I november was the first time I rode a bike on over 23 years and even then I only rode for 2 years [:D]

• Stephencp
    Stephencp Posts: 60
    Being one of the later starters I was very disappointed that there was simply no food available at the last three feed stops. The ride itself was good but the the organisation was well below the standards of other sportifs I`ve ridden this year.

I downloaded the finishing times from the website with a view to sorting chronologically but the list does n`t state wether riders did the 135km or 200km route.
  • oldwelshman

greg

And 49mph on the downhill, down from 54mph last year [better brakes this year...?]

greg
    Don't compare to others your ride is good for you it is about personal objectives.
    Mine was to break 7 hours which I did.
    39/21 was comfortable for me and that was with decent cadence, I used higher when out of saddle, but there were quite a few who got up faster than me but I rode my own pac up climbs.
    When I checked data after I was on about 80% on climbs as they say its not a race [:D]
    One guy in a black campag top, think he was on a colnago, wnet flying up past me and I reckon he got up at least 3 minutes faster than me [:D]
    Out of interest what was your power output on the climbs? Max was probably on Cimla the steep one before 2nd climb of Bwlch?

• oldwelshman
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich.H</i>

Official time of 7:04.53....dissapointed not to get under 7 hours but can't really complain as I was originally aiming for 7hr 30m...

I had a top speed of 51.8mph but was struggling to remember where that could have been. Spent plenty of time over 40mph though...

I measured 8,440 feet of ascent - what did others have?

Rich
    I had 9120 feet but I have found the garmin a bit out on ascent and top speed especially when set to smart record.
    My mate regulalry clocks higher speed when riding with me must be because of the sampling rate and being gps.

• hevipedal
    39x21 I wish I was climbing on that I was going up on my 30x27 and at least kept up a cadence that way, maybe a bit more weight off???????????????
    on the top speed downhill I lost what was recorded by pressing the red button by accident in the massage queue (and the girl that did my legs had nothing at all to do with my lack of attention.....honest)
    but I was eager to see what had looked like over 80kph on the downhill from Bwylch the last time, unfortunately I normally wear reading glasses and the speed bit is small at the top of the screen so I'm not entirely sure. But was bloody fast and my little legs could not turn 52x12 fast enough to feel any resistance. Of course in this instance the weight helps.

Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
  • oldwelshman
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

39x21 I wish I was climbing on that I was going up on my 30x27 and at least kept up a cadence that way, maybe a bit more weight off???????????????
    on the top speed downhill I lost what was recorded by pressing the red button by accident in the massage queue (and the girl that did my legs had nothing at all to do with my lack of attention.....honest)
    but I was eager to see what had looked like over 80kph on the downhill from Bwylch the last time, unfortunately I normally wear reading glasses and the speed bit is small at the top of the screen so I'm not entirely sure. But was bloody fast and my little legs could not turn 52x12 fast enough to feel any resistance. Of course in this instance the weight helps.

Pedal to Paris Sept 2007

I had my legs done by the girl from Tonddu who did it on the floor [:I]
    I was in more pain than during the ride, she had very stron fingers and hands[:D] Still I did not really want one of the guys to do it, not my thing!![:D]

• hevipedal
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I had my legs done by the girl from Tonddu who did it on the floor [:I]
    I was in more pain than during the ride, she had very stron fingers and hands[:D] Still I did not really want one of the guys to do it, not my thing!![:D]

I got the girl on the table, if I can phrase it that way, I'm still not sure why I didn't scream when she did the knuckle job om my thighs and the pressing to release the tension in my neck..... I wondered what was going to break.
    It worked though, slept like a bay and rode into work this morning as fit as a fiddle; legs were tired but not wrecked, the hardest part was not chasing other cyclists and keeping to a recovery ride.

Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
  • mookcp

Don't compare to others your ride is good for you it is about personal objectives.
    Mine was to break 7 hours which I did.
    39/21 was comfortable for me and that was with decent cadence, I used higher when out of saddle, but there were quite a few who got up faster than me but I rode my own pac up climbs.
    When I checked data after I was on about 80% on climbs as they say its not a race [:D]
    One guy in a black campag top, think he was on a colnago, wnet flying up past me and I reckon he got up at least 3 minutes faster than me [:D]
    Out of interest what was your power output on the climbs? Max was probably on Cimla the steep one before 2nd climb of Bwlch?

No worries on the performance, I was happy to have beat my mate by all of 53 seconds... that was my personal objective. That, and not blow up!

My biggest one minute power output was up that last steep hill on the common at 339 watts. The biggest 10 minute output was the second time up the Bwlch at 238 watts. And I weigh 61 kilos... [maybe a bit more...].

greg