Dragon Ride

vermootencp
vermootencp Posts: 1,298
Anyone else doing it? Looks like they made it harder this year at 120 miles and 3000m climbing. See you in the melee at the start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<font size="1">"I'll do what I can to help y'all. But the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."
</font id="size1">
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<font>"I\'ll do what I can to help y\'all. But the game\'s out there, and it\'s play or get played. That simple."
</font>

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vermooten</i>

Anyone else doing it? Looks like they made it harder this year at 120 miles and 3000m climbing. See you in the melee at the start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font size="1">"I'll do what I can to help y'all. But the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."
    </font id="size1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    yes I am doing it, will be in my Hemel Hempstead orange top [:D]
    Will try to get under 7 hours [:D]

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • vermootencp
    I'm aiming for 7h30m I think....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    </font id="size1">
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font>"I\'ll do what I can to help y\'all. But the game\'s out there, and it\'s play or get played. That simple."
    </font>
  • oldwelshman
    I think I might be riding with Jim again, we will probably try to get out in first group of 200
    If not just go anywhere I guess as its a long way and bound to pick up riders and groups along the way [:D]
    This week we did not start early and we set off quite fast and caught several groups and as they were quite good meant we ended up on a good time by working with them when we caught them [:D]
    By the finish we were only in a group of 6 so could have done with a few more really.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vermooten</i>

I'm aiming for 7h30m I think....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    </font id="size1">

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    My bro is in(Richyboy). I am waiting to see if I can pull off a week in the Alps or somewhere around that time. I'll find out soon and if not - the Dragon for me.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Another thread on this...

I'm no. 193. I'll be in my Kingston Wheelers kit. Would be nice to get round in under 8 hours.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • samwellcp
    samwellcp Posts: 22
    I'll be there - aiming for around 8 hours.... Weather doesn't look ideal at this stage
  • oldwelshman
    Looks like I will be on my training bike and wearing tights and waterproof jacket not orange top [:(]

• hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Im 444 but Jon's name who I transfered from is still on the list - I've got the email tho so that's ok. I'mm doing the long one and my aim is to finish before they all go home.................

If it starts chucking it down I'll probably chicken out onto the shorter course. http://www.metcheck.com shows it getting better for Sunday .......... edit that just looked again and it's on and off rain for Neath

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • I am also aiming for about 7hr 30min (although I might add 15 mins to that if I have to fit my Raceblades[;)].

Forecast on Met Office site for Cardiff and Brecon is saying light rain showers at the moment....

Rich
  • Kap
    Kap Posts: 207
    I have a place going if anyone wants it ... full pack, chip, number etc ready for someone ... seems a shame to go to waste .. requests to DJ @ excelcity.com ..oh I live in Fulham sw6 . cheers

I've got a granny and I ain't afraid to use her !

ex-Virgin Etapper - www.clicktastic.com
    I\'ve got a granny and I ain\'t afraid to use her !

ex-Virgin Etapper - www.clicktastic.com
  • DTH
    DTH Posts: 303
    Should be 4-5 of us in EsseX Fire tops. Regular event for us now, made it a bit harder this year, with added weather effects it looks like??????

See you all in the bar on saturday night

if it's not dripping of your nose, your not trying!
    if it\'s not dripping of your nose, your not trying!
  • oldwelshman
    My number is 1171 and will be unmistakable in orange top and huge tattoos on legs [:D]
    Any forum members see me give me a shout.
    I think I might be staying in Porthcawl in a caravan on sat night [:D]

• mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    you gonna show up vermooten ?? Make a change I suppose....
  • ed_m
    ed_m Posts: 131
    oh umm yes... i'm in then.... have been getting more & more concerned all week :-)

no idea on time.

<center><font color="blue"><font size="1">____________________
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
    </font id="size1"></font id="blue"></center>
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
  • vermootencp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mooro</i>
    See you at the Marmotte heh heh I love this guy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    </font id="size1">
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    </font>
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Checked the weather again, wind has died down a bit at bridgend but still wet - and the high temp is 14c.
    arm and leg warmers methinks.......

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • vermootencp
    rain jacket too, just to be safe?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    </font id="size1">
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    </font>
  • ed_m
    ed_m Posts: 131
    eyeing up lightweight jackets at the LBS this afternoon....

www.ultrarunner.co.uk
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    <i>Originally posted by Mooro</i>
    See you at the Marmotte heh heh I love this guy

just booked flights..... [fishing] "of course i'll beat you..."
  • 6 of us from CC Luton will be in attendance - can't miss us 'cos we've got the best club kit in the bunch [:D]

Did last year's ride in 5h40m for just under 100 miles I think...........surprisingly quick given the terrain but the climbs were all fairly even gradients apart from the Bwlch as I remember.
    So looking for sub 7 hours this year for 120 miles?!?! Mind you, looks like we're in for a drenching (again, yawn!).

Give us a shout if you see us..........you'll find us in Bridgend Town Centre for a few beers and totty goggling [:p] on Saturday no doubt.

Oldwelshman, rode with you at the Banbury Road Race the other week (until you left me for dead 2nd time up Edge Hill, ahem.....). I shall watch out for your tattoed legs nipping past me!!

Good + safe ride to you all for Sunday..............

===========================================================================
    http://www.ccluton.com (It's a lifestyle!!)
  • oldwelshman
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bronzie</i>

6 of us from CC Luton will be in attendance - can't miss us 'cos we've got the best club kit in the bunch [:D]

Did last year's ride in 5h40m for just under 100 miles I think...........surprisingly quick given the terrain but the climbs were all fairly even gradients apart from the Bwlch as I remember.
    So looking for sub 7 hours this year for 120 miles?!?! Mind you, looks like we're in for a drenching (again, yawn!).

Give us a shout if you see us..........you'll find us in Bridgend Town Centre for a few beers and totty goggling [:p] on Saturday no doubt.

Oldwelshman, rode with you at the Banbury Road Race the other week (until you left me for dead 2nd time up Edge Hill, ahem.....). I shall watch out for your tattoed legs nipping past me!!

Good + safe ride to you all for Sunday..............

===========================================================================
    http://www.ccluton.com (It's a lifestyle!!)
    I am travelling down sat morning and staying in caravan :-)
    I will be riding wearing dragon bandana and Hemel top [:D] Mixture of club and country [:D]
    Jim is also coming down to ride and we will look to get under 7 hours though I suspect the stretch from Hirwaun on the new route is going to catch a few out if forecast is righ, north wind and wet.
    I think we will head off in first group.
    I might go to Bridgend sat night for meal.
    Give me a call sat around 6pm 07718584318.
    If your interested I might go for a ride sat afternoon [:D]
    Should be interesting starting in groups of 200 [:D] I bet we get the usual loonies going mad for first 20 miles then bonk on the three climbs [:D]

• Latest forecast is saying light rain showers for Brecon and Merthyr for most of the day and low winds. Cold though, at 13 deg max. Lets hope we are allowed on the full route based on that information.

Two decisions to make now;

Which bike to bring (my "best" bike hasn't been out in the rain before[:D])

Tights or 3/4 bibs.....

See you there

Rich
  • Oh joy, looks like 7 hours in the wet stuff. I was going to try to hammer the long route as my final big ride before La Marmotte, but I may take it a little more carefully if its wet. Strong riders with a mudguards fitted will be very popular on the day, methinks!

Well, at least I don't need to bother washing the bike today!
  • the forecast has improved to light rain showers (unless you are going to still be riding after 18:00 in which case heavy showers). It will be quite cold at 10-13 deg C bearing in mind the altitude that most of the ride will be at is fairly high.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    Well, how about that, no rain at all. Not a drop. Amazing considering how awful it was driving down the M4 towards Bridgend at 7am this morning. Great ride (even despite the p*ncture [:(!])

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.

• Its a class event isn't it? Bl00dy hard, I died a thousand times on the final climb up the bwlch.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">6 of us from CC Luton will be in attendance - can't miss us 'cos we've got the best club kit in the bunch <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Some of you passed me...no wonder oldwelshy joined Hemel Hempstead! [:p]

The number of riders passing me on the climbs was depressing! My comp shows 7 hrs 23 which was disappointing, but then it was 40 miles more than the furthest distance I've ridden since 15 years ago or so. By the way, did anyone else drink the chain degreaser??!! Not that I did, but I know someone who did..[;)] Apparently so did at least 4 others one of whom was carted off to hospital having swallowed most of it. Including it in the goody bag is the only critiscism I can think of the whole event, I had to look at it twice, assuming initially it was sort of energy or recovery gel. Luckily I use that brand of chain cleaner so I spotted it. Dont know who was there first but whoever was second must be pretty stupid to make them so similar.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    [xx(] i thought exactly the same thing about the degreaser, what an idiotic thing to do in the goody bag.
    (if you can call it a goody bag)
    bet they did`nt spot that one when they did the risk assessment for
    the event though.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    Agreed. Couldn't believe that was degreaser. I did a double take when i saw it and I really feel for the poor bugg*r who swallowed it, but I'm not surprised. A degreaser in the same packaging as SIS Gel is absolutely stupid and I imagine that the company responsible may have to rethink that one (if they don't get sued out of business).

• OMG! - can't believe the thing about the chain degreaser! Me and my friend were just saying how it was asking for trouble. For those of you who weren't there they were handing out goody bags and in there was a sachet of degreaser which is the same shape as a GO Gel.

I had a bit of a nightmare Dragon. Was down for the 120 route as a training ride for La Marmotte. I made the fatal mistake of ordering seafood pasta at the italian in Bridge End and promptly spent the night kissing the toilet bowl. By 4.30am I'd waved goodbye to the last mussell and managed to settle down for 2 hours of sleep.

If that had happened to me 3 months ago, I'd have bailed, but I'm on good form at the moment and figured that I'd still be good for the short route. Thanks to my mate Thom for riding the whole way with me, I was rather nervous about riding due to the night before so having a buddy helped tremendously. The time was a rather poor 5.18, but I was happy to have got something out of it at all in the end.

Definitely some unfinished business for next year though. Weather turned out alright in the end, eh?