New petition. Ban speedophiles.

Comments

• The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

And if someone else is driving them?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Well they're not going to be "struggling" across a busy car park on their own then, are they, if they've got someone else to help them.
    And besides, what's to stop that other person who's driving them using that same blue badge when they're on their own? Answer - nothing, they DO use it when they're on their own, which is the exact sort of abuse I'm talking about. It's the fact that you can get a blue badge even if you're not disabled yourself but 'might' have to give someone who's disabled a lift that opens the system wide open to abuse.

<hr noshade size="1">
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

When I used to do them [disabled interviews], we called applicants into the office. <b>There are strict criteria</b> which they have to meet. And if they don't, they don't get a badge.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Such as?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I've already posted a link for you. As has someone else.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

So you can see that a disabled person may be able to skip then, going on your definition?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    A <i>genuinenely</i> disabled person won't, no.

A blind man? A man with no use in his arms?

• Mister Paul

Your learning opportunity for today Bonjy
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">The Blue Badge Scheme gives parking concessions for people with <b>severe</b> walking difficulties <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Note that word, <i>severe</i>. That means people who <i>really</i> struggle to walk. These aren't the people that look like they can walk ok, but might have a bit of pain.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    who travel as either drivers or passengers, registered blind people and also people with severe upper limb disabilities who regularly drive a vehicle but cannot turn the steering wheel by hand.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    People who can't steer or who are blind shouldn't really be driving anyway, really - should they. Let's not forget we're talking about drivers here not just disabled people in general.
    [/quote]

And why should they need to drive?

• The Bosscp

What I mean by 'carrying legal recognition' is you can be ticketed/clamped by parking enforcement officers if you park in a disabled space (which is properly marked out according to the highway code) and you haven't got an official disabled badge.

So you meant something different to what you actually said. That's new.
    Well no, that's what any <i>normal</i> person would have thought I meant by 'carrying legal recognition', but you're not a normal person are you - you're someone who's very very pedantic with regards to legal terminology so to you it has to mean something entirely different.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domd1979</i>

Since you're so obsessed with people's ability to traverse the vast aisles of a supermarket: Asda provide wheelchairs and electric scooters for their customers to use, and a customer doesn't necessarily need to walk round the store if that would be difficult for them.

Yeah but Tesco's don't, in fact asda are probably in the minority as one place that does.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domd1979</i>

Since you're so obsessed with people's ability to traverse the vast aisles of a supermarket: Asda provide wheelchairs and electric scooters for their customers to use, and a customer doesn't necessarily need to walk round the store if that would be difficult for them.

Yeah but Tesco's don't and they still have disabled spaces at tescos - in fact asda are probably in the minority as one place that does.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Mister Paul

And if someone else is driving them?
    Well they're not going to be "struggling" across a busy car park on their own then, are they, if they've got someone else to help them.
    <b>And besides, what's to stop that other person who's driving them using that same blue badge when they're on their own?</b> Answer - nothing, they DO use it when they're on their own, <b>which is the exact sort of abuse I'm talking about.</b> It's the fact that you can get a blue badge even if you're not disabled yourself but 'might' have to give someone who's disabled a lift that opens the system wide open to abuse.

Sometimes you get there. Without even realising.

But it's not the exact abuse that you were talking about. You were talking about people pretending to be disabled to get a blue badge. It was pointed out to you several times that the main abuse of the system is able-bodied people 'borrowing' badges from a disabled person. Now you;re pretending that's what you meant all along.

What are you going to do next? Go back and edit your posts and pretend they were always like that?[;)]

• bad company
    bad company Posts: 2,293
    I know I have been away for a while and I do not have time to go through 11 pages but how on earth did we get from a petition on 'speedophiles' (a word which as far as I can see does not exist in the English language) to borrowing blue badges???

I AM THE STIG - HONEST
    I AM THE STIG - HONEST
  • Mister Paul
    You need to ask young bonj.

Oh, and SafeSpeed isn't in the dictionary either. Does that mean that we can discount it? Good.

• The Bosscp

But it's not the exact abuse that you were talking about. You were talking about people pretending to be disabled to get a blue badge. It was pointed out to you several times that the main abuse of the system is able-bodied people 'borrowing' badges from a disabled person. Now you;re pretending that's what you meant all along.

What are you going to do next? Go back and edit your posts and pretend they were always like that?[;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Well i was talking about ANY abuse of disabled badges generally - whether it making a false application, using it yourself when the disabled person who it's for isn't even with you, using an expired one after you've recovered, etc. etc. - why do we have to be talking about one particular type of abuse. It's so difficult arguing with you 'cos you're so goddamn pedantic, it would make it a whole lot easier if you didn't insist on all arguments being set out in word-perfect legal terminology.

The fact remains, abuse of the disabled badge system is rife, and accounts for well over half of instances of someone using a disabled badge to park nearer the entrance than they would be able to if they respected the system.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Mister Paul

What are you going to do next? Go back and edit your posts and pretend they were always like that?[;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Well i was talking about ANY abuse of disabled badges generally - whether it making a false application, using it yourself when the disabled person who it's for isn't even with you, using an expired one after you've recovered, etc. etc. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No you weren't. you only add bits in which you hadn't thought about previously when they are brought to your attention.

<b>The fact remains</b>, abuse of the disabled badge system is rife, and <b>accounts for well over half </b>of instances of someone using a disabled badge to park nearer the entrance than they would be able to if they respected the system.

Is it a fact, your opinion, or another of your generalisations?

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The fact remains, abuse of the disabled badge system is rife, and accounts for well over half of instances of someone using a disabled badge to park nearer the entrance than they would be able to if they respected the system.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sorry, felt I had to add my two eggs, sorry!

Wouldn't abuse of the disabled bays be more prevalent than abuse of the badge? I would have thought that blue badge abuse is fairly rare in comparison to the number of people who use the bays without a badge.
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PetrolHead</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The fact remains, abuse of the disabled badge system is rife, and accounts for well over half of instances of someone using a disabled badge to park nearer the entrance than they would be able to if they respected the system.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sorry, felt I had to add my two eggs, sorry!

Wouldn't abuse of the disabled bays be more prevalent than abuse of the badge? I would have thought that blue badge abuse is fairly rare in comparison to the number of people who use the bays without a badge.

Well EITHER! it doesn't sodding matter what TYPE of abuse it is or what distinct micro sub-category of law-breaking it is classified as - because frankly i'm not that bothered which it is, the fact is the people that park in the disabled bays AREN'T disabled.
    Stop OBSESSING yourselves with law and legal definitions and try to concentrate on the point in hand.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • The Bosscp

No you weren't. you only add bits in which you hadn't thought about previously when they are brought to your attention.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    And? Why does that matter? The point I'm making is fairly clear.

People always post new things as an argument develops, otherwise it wouldn't develop. It's called debate.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • The Bosscp

When I used to do them [disabled interviews], we called applicants into the office. <b>There are strict criteria</b> which they have to meet. And if they don't, they don't get a badge.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Such as?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I've already posted a link for you. As has someone else.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    No you haven't.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Mister Paul

Stop OBSESSING yourselves with law and legal definitions and try to concentrate on the point in hand.

You've spent the last day moaning about abuse of the blue badge system, and now you're accusing everyone else of obsessing about the law?

• Mister Paul

No you weren't. you only add bits in which you hadn't thought about previously when they are brought to your attention.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    And? Why does that matter? The point I'm making is fairly clear.

People always post new things as an argument develops, otherwise it wouldn't develop. It's called debate.

Yup they do. The difference is that good debaters who have learned something acknowledge that they have. They don't pretend that that was what they meant all along. You do.

• Mister Paul

I've already posted a link for you. As has someone else.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    No you haven't.

Yes I did. And you quoted it in a response yesterday. Are you going to delete it from your response then deny that it existed?

• The Bosscp
    Most people don't expect humble heartfelt thanks and extreme gratitude for every tiny iota of knowledge they impart onto their fellow debaters. I did learn the fact that disabled badges are now blue and not orange, which I learnt from you. A pretty useless piece of knowledge, but a piece of knowledge I learnt from you nonetheless. Yet you don't appear to be able to move on, and appear to be refusing to even consider the more general point I'm TRYING to make, until I acknowledge that I didn't know. You're an idiot, quite frankly. You get far too bogged down in the nitty gritty of who said what and who needs to prove the other and whose allegations need evidence and everyone needs to be aware that so-and-so didn't know a minor detail and so their argument's invalid, and the anecdotal question about someone's hypothetical situation hasn't been answered to their satisfaction ... etc. etc. etc., and all this nonsense which is quite frankly pointless guff. Well it's all just childish mate. You need to grow up.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • The Bosscp

Yes I did. And you quoted it in a response yesterday. Are you going to delete it from your response then deny that it existed?
    What the one starting with birmingham.gov.uk? Surely that only applies to birmingham, and anyway there isn't a listof disabilities on there.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    [brI did learn the fact that disabled badges are now blue and not orange, which I learnt from you. A pretty useless piece of knowledge, but a piece of knowledge I learnt from you nonetheless.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You needed an internet forum to tell you that the Orange Badge scheme had changed to Blue? It changed on the 1st April 2000. An appropriate date for you, it seems.

It is astonishing that you feel you can mooch round the forum posting your argumentative and objectionable rubbish with such a level of ignorance.

Quite part from being completely unaware of changes in legislation etc. just how unobservant are you?

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • Mister Paul

Most people don't expect humble heartfelt thanks and extreme gratitude for every tiny iota of knowledge they impart onto their fellow debaters. I did learn the fact that disabled badges are now blue and not orange, which I learnt from you. A pretty useless piece of knowledge, but a piece of knowledge I learnt from you nonetheless. Yet you don't appear to be able to move on, and appear to be refusing to even consider the more general point I'm TRYING to make, until I acknowledge that I didn't know.

Nope. You said that you can't prove a negative. Which required an example, which I gave.

<s>You're an idiot, quite frankly. You get far too bogged down in the nitty gritty of who said what and who needs to prove the other and whose allegations need evidence and everyone needs to be aware that so-and-so didn't know a minor detail and so their argument's invalid, and the anecdotal question about someone's hypothetical situation hasn't been answered to their satisfaction ... etc. etc. etc., and all this nonsense which is quite frankly pointless guff. Well it's all just childish mate. You need to grow up.</s> I'm really frustrated because I continually spout rubbish and don't like the fact that you keep pointing this out. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

• Mister Paul

What the one starting with birmingham.gov.uk? Surely that only applies to birmingham, and anyway there isn't a listof disabilities on there.

It lists the criteria. As I said that it did.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

No. The Blue Badge scheme is a nationwide scheme (indeed the Blue Badge is recognised EU wide).
    Whoever in Birmingham council put that web page up simply took advice from another source - presumably the same as the link below.

The conditions for Blue Badge use are nationwide.
    With the exception of a couple of central London boroughs.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... DG_4001061
  • The Bosscp

Ok, so if it lists the criteria, why do people have an interview. I don't believe that you ever were an interviewer - I think that was just made up. If you were, prove it by asking me some interview questions.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>

[brI did learn the fact that disabled badges are now blue and not orange, which I learnt from you. A pretty useless piece of knowledge, but a piece of knowledge I learnt from you nonetheless.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You needed an internet forum to tell you that the Orange Badge scheme had changed to Blue? It changed on the 1st April 2000. An appropriate date for you, it seems.

It is astonishing that you feel you can mooch round the forum posting your argumentative and objectionable rubbish with such a level of ignorance.

Quite part from being completely unaware of changes in legislation etc. just how unobservant are you?

I don't go creeping around snooping in other people's cars seeing whether they've got a badge or not and what color it is like you probably do. I just see them walking towards the store perfectly capably.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Mister Paul

Ok, so if it lists the criteria, why do people have an interview. I don't believe that you ever were an interviewer - I think that was just made up. If you were, prove it by asking me some interview questions.

Some people have trouble with forms, believe it or not. They don't always provide the information that is asked for. Or they can be ambiguous.

More often than not though it's the medical report that doesn't clarify things. Often GPs will bang out some vague statement which again doesn't answer the question, or just give a diagnosis which doesn't determine the level of disability (which explains why there is no list of conditions which you keep asking about). So you get the person in to clarify the situation themself, and then make a recommendation based on this extra information. Where I was involved there was no panel. Just me, and the applicant.

It matters not to me whether you believe me.
  • Jaded

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>

I don't go creeping around snooping in other people's cars seeing whether they've got a badge or not and what color it is like you probably do. I just see them walking towards the store perfectly capably.

The fact that you think you have to go "creeping around snooping in other people's cars" to see what 'color' (sic) a badge is further illustrates my point.

Are you allowed out? Have you ever been out of doors?

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • The Bosscp

More often than not though it's the medical report that doesn't clarify things. Often <b>GPs will bang out some vague statement</b> which again doesn't answer the question, or just give a diagnosis which doesn't determine the level of disability (which explains why there is no list of conditions which you keep asking about). So you get the person in to clarify the situation themself, and then make a recommendation based on this extra information. Where I was involved there was no panel. Just me, and the applicant.
    [:D][:D] oh well if GPs are involved.... don't get me started on GPs.
    Have you ever considered that the reason they 'bang out some vague statement' is because the person isn't disabled, but they don't want to put that on the statement because they'll keep coming back and whinging trying to make out to be more disabled the next week in order to convince them, but they don't want to put that they ARE disabled because they don't really want to take responsibility for disabled badge fraud, which is what's going on.

So, picture the situation. I limp in to your office, with a plaster cast on my left leg, on crutches, and a doctor's report that says "Broken leg. Needs disabled badge." What would your interview technique be? Or would you just dole one out straight off?

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Jaded

More often than not though it's the medical report that doesn't clarify things. Often <b>GPs will bang out some vague statement</b> which again doesn't answer the question, or just give a diagnosis which doesn't determine the level of disability (which explains why there is no list of conditions which you keep asking about). So you get the person in to clarify the situation themself, and then make a recommendation based on this extra information. Where I was involved there was no panel. Just me, and the applicant.
    [:D][:D] oh well if GPs are involved.... don't get me started on GPs.
    Have you ever considered that the reason they 'bang out some vague statement' is because the person isn't disabled, but they don't want to put that on the statement because they'll keep coming back and whinging trying to make out to be more disabled the next week in order to convince them, but they don't want to put that they ARE disabled because they don't really want to take responsibility for disabled badge fraud, which is what's going on.

So, picture the situation. I limp in to your office, with a plaster cast on my left leg, on crutches, and a doctor's report that says "Broken leg. Needs disabled badge." What would your interview technique be? Or would you just dole one out straight off?

Bonj, if you limped into my office, one leg broken, I'd simply marvel at how you got away without the other one being broken too.

--