Aldi - Whaddaya get?

Comments

• Went yesterday in Liecester, and they had a bit of stuff left. Got arm & leg warmers and a spare pump.

cheers,

Rich (A commuter at last)
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by derosa</i>

Nowt. Didn't waste me time or money going.

Big H

3 Grand Bike, 30 bob legs!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

yet you waste your time telling us - strange [;)]

Not strange. I'd rather buy one piece of decent kit from my LBS than loads of ill fitting tat from Aldi that won't be used more than once. Saves me money in the long run.

Big H

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Ferrino
    Ferrino Posts: 83
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">CRANE = can't really afford nice equipment<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Very true in my case! My bike cost œ134 new so it would be a bit ironic spending more than a fiver on shorts! It just so happens that the œ5 shorts I bought are pretty damn brilliant for me, and the jersey for the same price, mitts, Lidl MTB shoes, HRM, computer, blah blah blah. Brilliant stuff.
  • crackle
    crackle Posts: 216
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by derosa</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

Big H

Not strange. I'd rather buy one piece of decent kit from my LBS than loads of ill fitting tat from Aldi that won't be used more than once. Saves me money in the long run.

Big H

Wow! you must feel real strong about this to post in every thread on Aldi stuff. Perhaps you could expand on the kind of kit you buy so I have an equal chance to offer as objective a critique as you are managing.

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........
  • I don't see anything wrong with buying equipment from aldi/lidl when no one can argue that the quality is equivalent to that of bike equipment manufacturers costing 2-3 times the amount.

Obviously the higher end equipment is better but for the cost... it bloody well should be.

Can you please explain the logic in paying more for something just for the sake of it??
  • crackle
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by funkyrayman</i>

I don't see anything wrong with buying equipment from aldi/lidl when no one can argue that the quality is equivalent to that of bike equipment manufacturers costing 2-3 times the amount.

Obviously the higher end equipment is better but for the cost... it bloody well should be.

Can you please explain the logic in paying more for something just for the sake of it??

In the past I've bought shorts 6 times the price. Where they six times better. No! Better yes but not in line with the cost.

I bought them from an LBS. Say he sells them for œ40. He probably bought them from the distributor for œ20-œ30, who in turn bought them from the manufacturer for say œ10, who in turn produce them for say œ7/œ8.

Aldi probably get them from a manufacturer direct for say 50% of the cost they sell em at i.e. œ3

So on that basis I'd expect my LBS shorts to be twice as good as my Aldi ones, which is about right but hey they cost 6 times more!

Also people have criticised the sizing: Well in my experience sizing is often a bit laughable between any clothing brand full stop.

Wouldn't be seen dead in something recognizably Aldi. Fair enough, no problem with that, personally I'd never wear a team kit for similiar reasons.

Quality is a bit suss: Maybe. Check before you buy, it's not like I've never bought expensive kit which I've had to return for a fault.

Anyway tuppence worth over. I'm still quite happy that I've kitted myself out for summer on what I'd normally spend on one pr of shorts and a top! The tops last but the shorts never do.

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........
  • dttlincs
    dttlincs Posts: 384
    Quite a bit of stuff at Peterboro store.
    I got:
    Arm warmers
    Leg warmers
    Gillet XL(Just about fits OK)
    Waterproof Jacket L(Not realy a wet weather rider so for œ8 can't complain)
    Socks x3 for me.
    Socks x3 for my daughter.
    Still stuff left.

Still thinking!
    Still thinking!
  • Agh still no sunglasses!!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by crackle</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by funkyrayman</i>

I don't see anything wrong with buying equipment from aldi/lidl when no one can argue that the quality is equivalent to that of bike equipment manufacturers costing 2-3 times the amount.

In the past I've bought shorts 6 times the price. Where they six times better. No! Better yes but not in line with the cost.

I bought them from an LBS. Say he sells them for œ40. He probably bought them from the distributor for œ20-œ30, who in turn bought them from the manufacturer for say œ10, who in turn produce them for say œ7/œ8.

Aldi probably get them from a manufacturer direct for say 50% of the cost they sell em at i.e. œ3

So on that basis I'd expect my LBS shorts to be twice as good as my Aldi ones, which is about right but hey they cost 6 times more!

Also people have criticised the sizing: Well in my experience sizing is often a bit laughable between any clothing brand full stop.

Wouldn't be seen dead in something recognizably Aldi. Fair enough, no problem with that, personally I'd never wear a team kit for similiar reasons.

Quality is a bit suss: Maybe. Check before you buy, it's not like I've never bought expensive kit which I've had to return for a fault.

Anyway tuppence worth over. I'm still quite happy that I've kitted myself out for summer on what I'd normally spend on one pr of shorts and a top! The tops last but the shorts never do.

Totally agree with all this. I've never had any major problems with any of the running or cycling gear I've bought from Aldi or Lidl. I suppose it's a slogan thing for me, not keen on massive slogans across my back regardless of the manufacturer.

Wonder why they've just started putting slogans on though, is it because the kit has actually become quite popular? Aldi now advertise the running kit sale in Runners World mag!
  • kev2b3
    kev2b3 Posts: 159
    i bought 2 jerseys
    leg and arm warmers
    3 pairs if socks
    and thinking of getting the waterproof jacket in the morning but no matter how cheap the stuff is please leave the shorts they are not that good.
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    I bought arm and leg warmers - the Mrs bought a light waterproof top and some track mitts - total spend œ18. The leg warmers are quite big but that suits me as i have big legs!
  • Ferrino
    Ferrino Posts: 83
    On the contrary, the shorts are excellent (the lycra ones I mean, dunno about the non-gay ones). Feel much comfier than the Decathlon ones I bought.
  • crackle
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kev2b3</i>

leave the shorts they are not that good.

Again it's all relative. I said in another thread that the shorts don't feel as comfy when walking as Chamois or synthetic. I reckon they'll need some wearing and washing for that but when riding I don't feel a huge difference. Comparing to the two pr I just threw out then they are much better. All that said, comfort is a very personal thing and what suits one may not suit another, no matter the price.

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by derosa</i>

Big H

Big H

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">1 x jacket, 1 x jersey, 1 x baggy shorts, 1 x tight shorts, 3 x pairs of socks, 2 x briefs, 2 x underpants long, 1 x helmet. Oh, and an Aldi carrier bag. œ49.91. If I went into my LBS I would have to add a fiver to buy one pair of shorts for what this lot cost.

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.

• onurbike
    onurbike Posts: 287
    Guys, I think we all have missed one VERY important issue here....this cheap gear encourage non-serious cyclists to take up the sport. If we all had to fork out hundreds of pounds at the early days, half of us would be Cricketers by now....

this is for the mass cycling and I would encourage it to the point that I would start a compaign to reduce (or abolish) VAT on cycling equipement.

please join me in that..

Baby elephants are faster than some riders from.... http://www.spokesgroup.com/
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by onurbike</i>

Guys, I think we all have missed one VERY important issue here....this cheap gear encourage non-serious cyclists to take up the sport. If we all had to fork out hundreds of pounds at the early days, half of us would be Cricketers by now....

this is for the mass cycling and I would encourage it to the point that I would start a compaign to reduce (or abolish) VAT on cycling equipement.

please join me in that..

You have my full support [:)]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by onurbike</i>

please join me in that..

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Great idea! The government are bending over backwards (or forwards) to appease the green vote (even though it's all a load of tripe) but I certainly think that this is a very viable vote winner, and realistically acheiveable for us cyclists. How greener could you get?

• hammerite
    anyone seen delivery of the sun glasses yet?
  • In total I sent œ28 in Aldi and got 2 tops, 2 shorts , arm & leg warmers. I tried on shorts (both types) top and arm warmers at the weekend. All did the job fine. I'd not have bought these if prices were 2 or 3 times more.

When are these chuffin' sunglasses gonna appear? anyone know?

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by giant man</i>

When are these chuffin' sunglasses gonna appear? anyone know?

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.

Yep that's what i'm wondering. They weren't in on Sunday and when I asked they said the next delivery is Wed/Thu, so they might come then...
  • Got myself the Yellow Jacket, Lycra Shorts and computer

My branch had loads of the glasses but I passed on them as I ordered some Bolle ones from ebay [V]

may go try tonight on the cycle home to see if I can get some glasses [8D]

by the way this is swinton and eccles aldi's in manchester
  • hammerite
    too late for me, just ordered the DnB sunnies from Wiggle.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hammerite</i>

too late for me, just ordered the DnB sunnies from Wiggle.

I'm getting tempted by them, wanted to give the aldi ones a go but they as yet haven't got them and i want some glasses.
  • abchandler
    abchandler Posts: 175
    According to the manager of my local store, they received a memo on Friday telling them that the sunglasses were not coming at all due to a let down from the supplier

<font size="1">"I don't want to change the world. For me, happiness is the most important thing and if I'm happy then it shows in my work." Freddie Mercury</font id="size1">
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    met up with a mate last night who had bought a bikemate computer from aldi for œ3. Later i checked on ebay - the same computer is being sold on for about œ12 now.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • I bought some kit which does not fit me, so up for grabs are two XL gilets, one red, one yellow and one XL s/s jersey in yellow. I would rather sell them as a job lot to one person for the cost price which is œ17 plus œ2 P& P but will split it up if anyone wants just one particular item.

So the first person to PM me can have them.

If no one PMs me I will flog them on ebay for a profit....
  • roadhog
    roadhog Posts: 5
    If anyone is still looking for the cycling stuff from Aldi, I went into the store at Corby, Northamptonshire today and they had plenty of it left. From memory, I recall seeing;

Yellow jacket in S/M/L
    Pink jacket in S/M/L
    Yellow shirt in S/M/L
    Red shirt in S/M
    Lots of shorts and helmets

I was looking for items in XL, but I guess Corby is full of lardies like myself!
    European Van Courier Ltd
    https://www.eurovancourier.co.uk/
  • Zygite
    Zygite Posts: 142
    Margate store - Bought socks, shorts, pants and a large knockwurst. It's a cosmetic thing...

Cycle killer? Qu'est ce que c'est?
    Cycle killer? Qu'est ce que c'est?
  • itisaboutthebike
    itisaboutthebike Posts: 1,120
    Woodford - have u still got the XL yelloe gilet ?

Half Man - Half.............Baked !