TdF Cyclosportive megathread!

Comments

• ian_oli
    ian_oli Posts: 763
    http://tinyurl.com/36f972 from the Singletrack forum

"Just come home on my commute and through Greenwich Park as usual.
    A cyclist has been killed by a car overtaking on the road through the park.
    Not too sure why i'm posting, just find it unbelievable that it happened at all.
    That the driver was in such a hurry that he felt the need to get past the car in front to shave what would have amounted to seconds off his journey? FFS. What a waste."

Given that we'll be starting from the park on Sunday, any ideas about commemorating the victim and making a protest about the Royal Parks letting rat runners drive through?
  • Coochcp
    Coochcp Posts: 131
    Sorry I'm gonna sound like a sheila getting ready for Friday night, but what are you wearing/taking to wear?

Forecast doesn't look to clever

I take it this statement means there will be GO bars as well as Electro drinks... "Each station will have SIS electrolyte and energy bars, Soreen bars and water given freely."
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    Given that we'll be starting from the park on Sunday, any ideas about commemorating the victim and making a protest about the Royal Parks letting rat runners drive through?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No problem about people commemorating someone who died like this, but protest? Cars are alllowed to use the road through the park, if we protest and stop them, (aside from the fact that it just makes the road outside even more congested and dangerous,) does that not leave us open to being banned as well, after all we are road traffic?

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    Here's my thinking, given that weather forecast:

Clothes
    - Shorts (longs are not as comfortable and legs don't mind the wet)
    - Jersey (normal)
    - Rain Jacket (heavier one, not pocket foldup)
    - Winter socks (sealskins)
    - Gloves (probably go for full gloves)
    - Sunglasses (clear/yellow lenses)

Extras (might bring, just in case)
    - Baselayer
    - Skullcap

Food (not relying on feed stations for anything other than water)
    - 3 Bars
    - 4 Gels
    - 2 Flapjacks
    - 2 700ml bottles (water + mix)

Other
    - 2 tubes
    - Mini toolkit
    - Mini pump

+ keys, phone and some cash

If it wasn't for hangovers, I'd ride everyday.
  • ian_oli
    ian_oli Posts: 763
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

No problem about people commemorating someone who died like this, but protest? Cars are alllowed to use the road through the park, if we protest and stop them, (aside from the fact that it just makes the road outside even more congested and dangerous,) does that not leave us open to being banned as well, after all we are road traffic?

(I did not say anything about blocking traffic btw, protest can take many forms.)

Why not close the road through the park to through traffic, parks should be for people to feel free: their are two heavily speed bumped roads on the outside of the park that run parallel, cars can take these and yes queue when its busy.
  • georgeecp
    georgeecp Posts: 20
    I am thinking kit wise of just shortsleaves and Bib shorts, maybe overshoes if it's very wet, wear an old jumper while waiting on the line and bin it at the off...

is this sounding completely nuts or are most thinking of packing a waterproof?
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    Severe weather warning!!!
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... nings.html

I'd pack a water/wind proof.

If it wasn't for hangovers, I'd ride everyday.
  • Coochcp
    yeah, I was thinking bib shorts, shortsleaves, arm warmers and waterproof jacket, maybe dig out my overshoes. Not sure about the throw away jumper though.
  • Paraphrasing the advice from the Met if there's a severe weather event - "do not make any unecessary journeys". Hmm...

Fingers crossed the weather is just bad rather than horrific.

S
  • Coochcp
    At least it'll mean less cars on the road.
  • almacen
    almacen Posts: 10
    let's hope they have got it wrong like last week's dragon ride, when it was meant to rain but didn't....
    let's just hope...
    Been looking forward to this for so long, rain wont stop me but would make it a little annoying.
  • ScottDougall
    ScottDougall Posts: 912
    well if its raining when I wake up Im off to the pub for a full english - Im being mindful here that I entered this for FUN

...its the legs that count !
    ...its the legs that count !
  • sultry1
    sultry1 Posts: 3
    Yes almacen, regarding the Dragon, when I stopped at the services on the M4 about an hour before the off, I watched the BBC forecast and it was for continuous heavy rain in S.Wales - and we didn't get a drop did we! Hence saw a lot over over-dressed riders.
    I normally check the met office rainfall radar but otherwise head close to the start line, look up, and make my clothing choice from there. The only pain is showers that bubble up during the day from otherwise clearish skys.
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    Effing hell! *@œ**&amp;*!!! I've been training for 4 months for this moment - looks like I should have taken swimming lessons. I will be seriously tempted to call it off if the rain is as bad as forecast.

If not, I'll be sweating like a pig in my waterproof. Might have to get a cap to keep the rain out of my eyes too. And what about tyre choice?

**** it!

Oh, and to answer the question above:

Clothes
    - Shorts
    - Short sleeve jersey
    - Rain Jacket - might chance a waterproof gilet depending on forecast
    - Socks - sealskins as backup
    - normal gloves
    - Sunglasses (light tint)

Extras (might bring, just in case)
    - Armwarmers
    - peaked cap

Food (not relying on feed stations for anything other than water)
    - 3 bananas
    - 4 Gels
    - 2 bits o cake
    - 1000ml bottle for water
    - 500ml bottle for energy drink

Oh, and a snorkel [;)][:(!]
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • craigl
    craigl Posts: 193
    I'm getting a little concerned about the organisation of this ride. Spoken to several people in my office who live along the route & they knew nothing at all about the cyclosportive. They know all about the actual tour but nothing about us. 5000 cyclists are going to cause quite a few unhappy campers when we come through. Not good in my opinion !! In addition what's up with this quote from the latest newsletter :- "It's not a race......So please don't race with your mates or anyone else. Anyone found racing may be removed from the event."
  • Jasondean0
    Jasondean0 Posts: 10
    Is anyone going for a lightweight overshoe or are sealskin socks better. Just spent the weekend in Holland and apart from a few showers it was a great weekend. Also anyone else staying at The Clarendon Hotel in Blackheath.

http://www.justgiving.com/jasoncycle
  • almacen
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by craigl</i>

"It's not a race......So please don't race with your mates or anyone else. Anyone found racing may be removed from the event."
    I think most people are gonna be racing against time rather than racing their mates... so I am guessing instead of people attacking they are gonna be coming through to do their round at the front.

they'll never know. [:D]
  • ClaireV
    ClaireV Posts: 967
    Has anyone got the link to the last newsletter? It got garbled for me in the e-mail that came round.
  • Heres the link to last newsletter you need to scroll down it is there.

http://www.everydaycycling.com/news.aspx?fid=807
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jasondean0</i>

Is anyone going for a lightweight overshoe or are sealskin socks better. Just spent the weekend in Holland and apart from a few showers it was a great weekend. Also anyone else staying at The Clarendon Hotel in Blackheath.

http://www.justgiving.com/jasoncycle

I'm staying at the Clarendon. Managed to get their last room. Looking forward to it but the weather's going to be a bit miserable - just hope the wind swings round to more of a westerly.

<font size="1"><font color="brown">- - - - - -
    Pedalling through Devon, trying to avoid the tourists...
    </font id="brown"></font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><font color="green"><b>My Tour de France Stage 1 Charity Ride: http://www.justgiving.com/tomsharpe</b></font id="green"></font id="size1">
  • I got pretty wet doing a 150 yesterday and it looks like I'll get wet again on Sunday. I've decided against overshoes as I don't mind getting wet feet - it's cold wet feet I don't like!

I think I've just about got my pace and feed strategy sorted, but I want to have another look at timings just to see if I can have a bit of a rest at some point. Not an hour cafe stop but maybe a 15 - 20 minute break at around 120k, or something.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    I'm staying at the Clarendon. Managed to get their last room. Looking forward to it but the weather's going to be a bit miserable - just hope the wind swings round to more of a westerly.

My regular, The Princess of Wales, is fifty yards down the road from the Clarendon. Pop in on Saturday evening, especially if you like Leffe.

As things stand you're more likely to see me in the pub on Saturday night than in Greenwich Park on Sunday morning. I f*&%*^g hate riding in the rain and if the weather is as abysmal as the forecasts suggest I might sack the whole thing off and go for a long run instead.
  • almacen
    btw, do you guys think there is any chance they might cancel it like the national road championships?
    that would suck...
  • Chris42
    Chris42 Posts: 809
    No chance

must ride hills must ride hills!
    delete me from this crap forum
  • <Private Frazer>

"We're doomed... doomed!"

</Private Frazer>
  • Hey, come on you guys ...
    The forecast on Metcheck.com is getting better by the hour - don't forget your sun block

<i><font size="1"><font color="brown">The older I get, the better I was</font id="brown"></font id="size1"></i>
    <i><font size="1"><font color="brown">The older I get, the better I was</font id="brown"></font id="size1"></i>
  • Chris42
    Chris42 Posts: 809
    yes here in deal (18 miles from the finish) weather forcast for yesterday & today was 20 MPH winds & rain. Guess what, sunny warm with a 12 MPH wind now, when I was riding this morning at 6am wind was 4mph.
    don't worry we'll be fine!!!!!!!!!!

must ride hills must ride hills!
    delete me from this crap forum
  • JonSkids
    JonSkids Posts: 464
    I'm staying at a relatives house in Sidcup and planning to ride to the start on Sunday. Can anybody suggest a sensible route to take?
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JonSkids</i>

I'm staying at a relatives house in Sidcup and planning to ride to the start on Sunday. Can anybody suggest a sensible route to take?

That's a doddle. Get on to the Sidcup bypass (A20), then straight on to Kidbrooke Park Road at the big roundabout, turning left into Shooter's Hill Road, which brings you out onto Blackheath/Greenwich Park. Should take about 25 mins.