TdF Cyclosportive megathread!

Comments

• rboon99
    rboon99 Posts: 21
    Got my start number - thank goodness I'm on the 7am start - nothing like having a bit of leeway with the broomwagon!!

Finally booked my hotel as well - got one for œ80 just south of Greenwich Common. No excuse to be late now.

Rich

Cycling Haiku - wind pushes into me, I am a sail for the wrong direction, headwind
    Rich

Cycling Haiku - wind pushes into me, I am a sail for the wrong direction, headwind
  • Well I'm off at 7.09 and my son is off at 7.15 so I may dawdle a little before the timing chip kicks in at the start gate. Unfortunately my sons house in Bath was broken into this morning and the keys were taken along with œ4000 worth of Canon camera gear, Cannondale bike and his car. When he found out at 3am he phoned the police and they had in custody a drunken driver who had just crashed the car. Later this morning he saw his Cannondale with a youth on it outside his house, got his address off a bystander and the police have been informed. Hopefully he will get some of his gear back [:(!]

She was only an Admirals daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.
    She was only an Admirals daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.
  • Hi Guys,

Could I ask how your start numbers were delivered to you? Was it via the normal post or a courier?

Thanks.

Dunedin
  • i linked to a numbers and names link on the previous page HTH

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dunedin397</i>

Hi Guys,

Could I ask how your start numbers were delivered to you? Was it via the normal post or a courier?

Thanks.

Dunedin

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I don't think anybody's received any physical start numbers, just the info that has been posted on the web.

Me and my mates are spread out over a 45 minute period with me off first at 6.30am. I think the best bet is to just wait after the start for each other until we're all together. It'll bugger up my time but I'm more interested in just enjoying the event with friends rather that posting a fast time.

Anybody in a similar position with a better strategy or info on the best place to wait just after the start?
  • craigl
    craigl Posts: 193
    I've got a 7.45 start but have to be sharpish as I'm flying to the continent sun evening - wondering if they will let me start earlier, or if I can just pitch up early & get going ???
  • cyclingnut
    cyclingnut Posts: 752
    Ladyboy, just take it easy at the start and wait for you mates. If you're not all grouped together by the first feed (from memory at about 35 miles) just wait there.
  • A sheepish lad has just delivered my sons Cannondale back so we will be riding together! Will have to redo his handlebar tape and it is a bit scuffed but we class it as a result. Hope the camera gear turns up as well[:(]

• Paul-B
    Paul-B Posts: 74
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    Anybody in a similar position with a better strategy or info on the best place to wait just after the start?

I was told via email that if you are in a group that's got different start times then you can start at the time of the earliest rider, so you won't need to mess your times up.
  • Chris42
    Chris42 Posts: 809
    I've just got back from Holiday in Italy and find I have won a place on the ride!!!!!!!!!!!! with the cycling plus team!
    Now I'm scared!
    I just looked and I'm number 88

must ride hills must ride hills!
    delete me from this crap forum
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    I'm in at 893 so an early start; which is good.............

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • Anyone know what the medal times are, or if indeed there are any?
  • ScottDougall
    ScottDougall Posts: 912
    the bbc has videos of the route start to finish...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/artic ... ture.shtml

...its the legs that count !
    ...its the legs that count !
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    The BBC are *still* using RealMedia?? That format died on it's arse years ago.

...buffering...
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • Fixed Wheelnut
    Fixed Wheelnut Posts: 2,267
    I've managed to blag a donated entry from a mate who can't ride [:D][:D] so look out for a bald git on a yellow Ron Cooper fixedwheel bike[:D]
    7.30 start

Don't stop pedalling

My bikes

http://westkentctc.org.uk/index.html
    http://www.audax.uk.net/index2.htm [/size=1]
    42 Posts: 98
    On Saturday I'm coming up to London to register. I will be riding from London Bridge to Greenwich Park, and from there to Stratford to stay with friends. Question. Can I ride through the Blackwall Tunnel or do I need to go back to Tower Bridge
  • Fixed Wheelnut
    Fixed Wheelnut Posts: 2,267
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 42</i>

On Saturday I'm coming up to London to register. I will be riding from London Bridge to Greenwich Park, and from there to Stratford to stay with friends. Question. Can I ride through the Blackwall Tunnel or do I need to go back to Tower Bridge

No you can't go through the Blackwall tunnell but the Greenwich foot tunnell is closer by the Cutty Sark and you can walk through there[:)]

Don't stop pedalling

My bikes

http://westkentctc.org.uk/index.html
    http://www.audax.uk.net/index2.htm [/size=1]
    42 Posts: 98
    Thanks
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fixed Wheelnut</i>

No you can't go through the Blackwall tunnell but the Greenwich foot tunnell is closer by the Cutty Sark and you can walk through there[:)]

Where does this exit on the north side of the Thames? I am staying in Docklands on the Saturday night and rather than get the missus to drop me off in the car, I may ride over to Greenwich instead with this info....
  • bof
    bof Posts: 372
    The southernmost tip of the Isle of Dogs. Further down you can cross on the Woolwich Ferry.
    The artist formally known as boring old fart
  • does anyone no of any spare places of if anyone cant go please let me know cheers
  • jonathan r
    jonathan r Posts: 88
    Try the Cyclesurgery web site. I got a place last week with them, at no extra cost.
  • hayesu
    hayesu Posts: 138
    One of our club members can't use his place. Email me offline if you're still looking for one.

www.bigfootbikeclub.org
  • currieinahurry
    currieinahurry Posts: 2,695
    but i think they want id when you register so dont know if you can use someone elses place.
    tikka

hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • just sent you an email cheers
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    1 week to go. Weather for the 1st July looks OK but not ideal - cloudy, 18C by midday and a 7mph southerly wind. Should make for an interesting finish down the Roman Road to Canterbury.
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • I'm sure someone must of asked, but does anyone have a download-able gps route in garmin format for the cyclosportive?

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality.
    We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality.
  • Yes, there is one somewhere. I'll post a link when I remember it.

There's a Tracklogs trl of Stage 1 available from here just to give you an idea. I can convert that to gpx if needed.
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    Have you seen the weather forecast!!!!!
    Heavy Showers - 19C - SSW 14mph

How much food, gels, bars etc are people taking?

If it wasn't for hangovers, I'd ride everyday.
  • bof
    bof Posts: 372
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kmahony</i>

Have you seen the weather forecast!!!!!
    Heavy Showers - 19C - SSW 14mph

How much food, gels, bars etc are people taking?

If it wasn't for hangovers, I'd ride everyday.
    More or less a following wind then, what's wrong with that?

2 Gels, 2 energy bars, plus a slab of cake for breakfast as my start is too early for me to eat earlier, plus I will fill my bottles with energy drink despite the fact I hate it.
    The artist formally known as boring old fart