Olympics 2024

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited August 8

Did you not post earlier that DSD athletes made up 50% of the top six in the 800 metres in Rio. Of course the 4th, 5th and 6th lost out due to the 3 DSD athletes, but under chromosome qualification, the 3 DSD athletes are effectively banned from professional sport (and probably elite level amateur sport). With a bonus prize of being publicly humiliated as not a real woman. I'm not sure what benefit the other 99.9...% of womankind derive from this, but either way, someone loses out.

Professional athletes are about 3 per 10000 of the general population Google says about 17500 in the UK). The vast majority of us are never going to be anything more than local club level at which the presence of a handful of unidentified DSD competitors makes no meaningful difference to anyone's enjoyment. We are talking about a very small number of people that this affects and there is no option that affects nobody.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Taekwando scoring is pretty baffling to me

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited August 8
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

Thought this was quite interesting this morning. As usual, boiling it down to black and white doesn't really work.

Completely apart from the sporting side, some of the examples given there seemed profoundly sad, especially in today's climate with TERFs and whatnot.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

Gusty wind seemed to make things tough for the heptathletes in the long jump but in the end Thiam made no significant gain (1cm further than KJT).

Women’s 4x400m relay underway. The world record is still owned by the USSR from 1988. I know it doesn’t get run much and teams maybe don’t practice it much but that is crazy.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

I've just seen The Telegraph quote the "Research also shows biological males punch around “162 per cent” harder than females" so went to find where it is from.

It's a study of 20 men and 19 women, with a moderate to high level of physical activity, using arm cranking over 3-4 seconds as a proxy for punching power, and specifically "did not include subjects who responded that they lift weights more than three times per week, participated in body building, or trained regularly in martial arts."

• Pross

British girl on the last leg made it hard for herself by trying to overtake going around the bend and getting stuck there rather than just waiting for the straight but gets through. The Belgian inexplicably moved across to let the French through to take the last automatic spot.

• Pross

The whole gender thing is getting silly now. The Irish aren’t even trying to hide it and have a bloke called Phil running in their relay team.

• kingstongraham
    edited August 9
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

A long standing record by the USSR in the '80s? 🤔 Don't think you need to be a genius to figure that one out.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

Sticking a 16 year old on leg one looked a risk.

• rjsterry

Lol.

Absolutely unsurprised.

There's a quote in that BBC article above that there is essentially not enough data to determine DSD athletes actually have an advantage. It's an inference from non-DSD athletes.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

Vlad, Dimitri, Anatoly and Igor will be in the stadium tonight watching.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

That was just about an entire “B” team GB put out, so the gambled and it very nearly came to grief.

That’s not a great result for KJT in the long jump, as she usually beats (but not always) Thiam.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    edited August 9

There's also various types of DSD, so lumping them all together doesn't really help. I.e., more than one type of XY chromosome disorder, some of which seems like they definitely would confer an advantage and some that definitely don't (i.e., they are XY but the Y is not a normal male Y chromosome, the description makes it sound like more of a misformed X chromosome). And some who have elevated testosterone but are completely insensitive to it.

• rjsterry

Exactly. To read some commentators you would think it is already settled and it's just the IOC being woke. It doesn't seem like we have even confirmed the prevalence of the various types of DSD, let alone measured what impact that might have on athletic performance and compared that to the advantages conferred by other non-sex related chromosomal and genetic variation.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

Gold In climbing, made for a really good watch

• Pross

The heptathlon is really nicely balanced. Shame KJT couldn’t get a slightly longer jump in the long jump as the gap is possibly a little bit too big but the 800m won’t be a procession for anyone.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501

Gold in the climbing!

Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • blazing_saddles

That and also she under performed in the 200m.

Historically, two of her best events have opened the door and Thiam walked straight through.

• blazing_saddles

Women track sprinters now matching the men’s flying 200 qualifying times of about 8 years ago.

NWR set today and that’s with hundredths of breaking the 10 second barrier.

Astonishing.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

Climbing was definitely more entertaining than the diving.

• First.Aspect

I've just found out that rapping is now an Olympic sport.

I've not got the sound on but that's what it looks like anyway.

• kingstongraham

I just watched two rounds of the breaking, and am happy to report that for three out of the four women involved it looked like solo greco-roman wrestling.

The fourth spent a couple of minutes doing the most incredible headspins, handspins etc. I think she was criticised for having planned in advance what she was going to do.

Snoop Dogg was there earning today's $500k.

• blazing_saddles

I accidentally turned it on, saw a woman writhing on the ground and thought that someone was having an epileptic fit.

What is next to become an Olympic sport, I wonder? Speed graffiti maybe, or perhaps synchronised brick throwing…..

• Pross

Heard something earlier that viewing figures of the athletics are massively up this year in the US and that Snoop is seen as a huge part of that increased interest

• First.Aspect

You know, I think Rioting would make a good team sport.