GCN shutting?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,639

Aaaaaarrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• gethinceri

Although, she’s very nice in real life, I prefer not to listen to her in commentary.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447

I've a huge amount of respect for her as a person and an athlete, but as a commentator, she talks in bland platitudes.

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170

I'm another; she seems a lovely person, but tends to state the bleedin' obvious.

Blythe is only good in small doses, and a GT isn't his expertise.

The whole Discovery/Eurosport coverage needs a refresh in my view.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,145

They had a near perfect line up at the Giro. I think Lloyd is the glue that holds it all together. Matt Stephens is very good too but again doesn’t seem to be a core part of the team, not sure if he’s on the Tour coverage?

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

I am afraid it’s another case of a media company playing the PC numbers game.

Orla and Dani, Robbie and Adam.

All well and good, but it’s the audience who have to suffer any drop in quality.

Plus they now appear to be a lead/link commentator short for that all important middle section of the stage.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross

Hannah Walker would have been a better shout but she’s good out on the road. Luke Rowe would have been a good addition but wouldn’t help if it is a case of gender balance.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

I'm sure Dani is a lovely person, but agreed, her commentary is not very dynamic or interesting, to me at any rate.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825

I'm old enough to remember Aggers starting on TMS: wasn't great.

Give her time to grow into the job.

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

She's been commentating for a couple of years with the women's races

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • gethinceri

Nope, she’s had more than enough time. Been enduring her for years, if she had got better then she might be worth giving more time. She was poor originally, over a couple of years commenting on lower tier racing she barely became mediocre. If the Discovery coverage is the premier option then it’s totally inadequate not to have the top tier of English-speaking commentators.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026

Just found out about no Lloyd - yes does seem an own goal. I don't hate Dani Rowe's TV stuff but Lloyd, Adam and Robbie seemed to have good chemistry.

Currently away from home so relying on ITV highlights for the first week.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gethinceri

My Disco+ won’t allow me to watch here in Greece, so I’m a little annoyed.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,967
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles

The Discovery + app on the Firestick is crap.

So slow to load and unload. Plus the number of screens you have to navigate to get to where you want to be.

Definitely a case of more is less.

• stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308

What??!!! I hope my VPN works on Tuesday!!! Im not sure it will.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited June 30

As a VPN veteran - you’ll be ok watching any coverage on any state broadcaster/itv but don’t try to cast it to the TV. Most apps have followed the BBC approach of re-checking the IP from the cast destination.

As an emergency you can download the VRT app, sign up for free and using a Belgian server you’ll get add free Sporza coverage.

That is my most reliable option regardless of where I am in the world

• davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 518

Is there not an option to cast from the phone app? That's the way that I used to watch the GCN stuff.

It's how I use Youtube too, searching is much quicker on the phone than through the TV app.

• blazing_saddles

There is, but as mentioned above, casting from abroad is much trickier now. That's why when I am travelling, I always take my Firestick.

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

It's no better or worse than most TV apps on a fire stick, which is a relatively low powered streaming device.

The only thing that is annoying is the maximum seek speed of 16x. But you can get around this by seeking on the mobile app, then switching to the TV app where it will pick up the seek point. They also have chapter points for the bigger event which is something a lot of streaming services don't have

• davebradswmb

I haven't signed up to Discovery as yet - my Virgin package includes Eurosport so I get quite a lot of cycling from that. But a colleague at work has just shown me a nice feature - Discovery shows the full race and drops markers on the timeline to mark highlights such as sprints, climbs, breaks and crashes so you can easily skip to these. It altogether looked very slick, I am tempted to put my hand in my pocket.

• pblakeney

Eurosport is ending in two weeks so you won't have a choice.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

The TV channels are not going anywhere yet. Eurosport subscription is disappearing.

• pblakeney

Same thing if you don't want the annoying adverts, no? That's worth paying for imo before the extras.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Yep, I used those when catching up on the gravel stage and they were helpful. Means you don't miss anything critical but can skip through.

• davebradswmb

I record all the cycling on the Virgin TiVo box and watch it in my own time so I can fast forward the ads. Yesterday was unusual in that I watched the stage live, and yes the ads did annoy me. I just fitted bits of housework in while they were playing.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

I only just realised - as Eurosport player is closing on 22nd July, they haven't taken any payment for July, so since the annual deal ran out on 2nd June I've only paid one instalment.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

Day 1 post the Eurosport app shut down on Discovery+ for me today, Wallonia Jez Cox and Brian Smith... A max x16 on the FF is going to be a PITA on days when just want to catch up on a stage end.

Did have a poke about on the app to see what else they offer, good films, interesting stuff...? Watch some interesting things as when a passenger on family member's Netflix account? What a load of USAnian style shite. Next.