Euro 2024 thread

Comments

• wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 315

Anybody know how to stop a Samsung tv showing a whole football match in slow motion?.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Top of the group undefeated

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Bellingham totally anonymous in that second half.

Still would like to see Watkins and Kane up front together but no way he'll do it.

• rick_chasey

You don’t actually need to score to win the tournament…

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

That was shit. Pre tournament favourites my absolute arse. Turgid, boring, rubbish.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Mainoo, Palmer and Gordon need to start. They actually try to do something.

Kane continues being awful in tournaments, always out of position, and offers naff all.

Bellingham really poor again - he seems utterly knackered, but he has had a huge season and is very young.

Southgate needs a long hard look in the mirror - he doesn't seem to know what changes to make, or when - Gordon should have come on with Palner, not with 2 minutes to go.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

That's it though innit, we're top of the group, no injuries and with minimal energy spent.

Pretty strong start in every important way...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

They're going to go out in the first knockout. Although I think they'll be playing a 3rd place team? So a goalless draw then penalties.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

Christ that was tedious.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901

I always admire sports professionals being civil to goaded questions when they've just finished are completely knackered.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 25

Pretty sure it’s Holland, so there will probably be goals.

Not a fixture I’d be enormously happy with

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

What's the odds on him picking the same team again except Mainoo in for Gallagher?

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

To be honest if I were Southgate what I'd do now is take everyone next door and get rat assed with the Slovenians. Remember a bit of passion...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723

A massive contrast to the World Cup where pretty much every match was a cracker.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

Saka isn't fit.

• First.Aspect

I've never seen Foden do anything in an England shirt. Once he's out of the predetermined Pep-patterns he can't make decisions and just seems to do something vaguely familiar and hope that someone is psychic.

Mainoo is a talent though and I'm looking forward to him coming on after 87 minutes next week when we are 1-0 down.

• focuszing723

It's a shame Mark Cavendish isn't a football player. He'd score loads of goals, likes being quick, low center of gravity, passion to win...

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

Two goals scored in 3 matches is far from inspiring.

Even Scotland managed that. 🤣

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

Difference between a mid season tournament and one at the end of the season?

• First.Aspect

He's been out injured on and off near the end of the season and was rushed back. Other than a few runs in the first game has been very quiet. I don't think he's moving quite right and doesn't look to me confident in his running. just my opinion.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951
    edited June 25

Yes, still too slow and static, but we were never in trouble and at least we played far higher up the pitch. Hopefully Southgate has realised that Mainoo or Wharton must partner Rice. Palmer showed how you get through a defensive wall, straight passes through the lines, he did it 4 or 5 times and took out their midfield cover and 2 defenders every time.

Bellingham looks shot, the guy is only 20 and has had a hell of a season but he needs resting. I would disagree on Foden, he was much more effective tonight, but he needs players to move around him. Walker is a great defender but he is so negative in possession, constantly halting possible attacks and playing poor balls into Saka.

Palmer and the brief cameo from Gordon showed the way, quick and direct. Our main problem is the lack of risk, Rice in particular appears terrified of playing the defence splitting pass in case he gives it away.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026

Was just going to say the same about Rice - on that performance he doesn't deserve his place. He seems too concerned with calming everything down and securing possession - someone needs to tell him it's not enough.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026

I'd sack Southgate now - worked for the Ivory Coast at AFCON.

He's talking about protecting players like Palmer - this is a guy who told Guardiola play me or I'm off he doesn't need protecting.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

I'd put TAA in for Walker, only I don't think the team has enough goals in it to make up for his occasional mistake.

I think Foden was improved from the first game, but maybe that's not saying much.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

He had a minor knock and missed the last game of the season. That's how he moves.

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825

Anyone old enough to remember Italia 90?

Lineker made a hagumentary with Bobby Robson looking back on his career and saying that '90 was their year.......their group stage was turgid: a laboured win against the weakest team and 2 unconvincing draws. Motson said they were sh*t (no he didn't, he was a gentleman).

Does Gary mention that? (I genuinely don't know, games that are doomed to be dull are always best 'enjoyed' on the radio).

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body