2024 Election thread

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878

Seems to be pretty close between the main 3 in my area, getvoting is slightly on the side of labour, tacticalvote favours lib demand (I think based on previous election results).

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771

Luckily I dont have to tactically vote, but I would in principle.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    edited June 17

I will, Richmond Park constituency is either Conservative or Lib Dem, so I will vote to make sure. I say I will, my proxy will. But they are doing the same thing, so I know my vote is in the right hands.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

Would rather vote lib dem, but they have no chance here, and there is a good chance it'll be close-ish between Labour and Conservative here.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501

I will try but can't see anythng other than a Consrvative hold here

Wilier Izoard XP
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

As there's only two possible winners here, I haven't really thought about who I'd vote for in a pr world.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 904

I would have done but that link Brian posted says I don’t need to bother. However it might be a Tory scam🤣🤣🤣

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited June 17

93% chance of a LibDem win in my constituency, so not sure tactics are needed unless you are a Labour voter. A bit of a shame that the current Conservative MP will almost certainly be out after one term as he's a pretty diligent constituency MP and is the sort of person the party needs if they are ever to dig themselves out of the current hole.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

That site says I should vote with my heart because the Lib Dems are predicted to get 64% of the vote.

Looking at some of the forecasts, if it's vaguely right and people do vote tactically, it could be close to a wipeout in London. Crazy days.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,126

last time around there were quite a few tory seats with slim majorities after they were rightly punished for brexit - london was heavily remain - wouldn't surprise me if a lot of those end up labour this time

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

I’m not voting tactically, I am voting out of principle. I suspect most will be doing similar resulting in a swing vote and can only hope my suspicions are correct. Time will tell.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

I always thought my constituency was solidly Labour giving me freedom to vote how I pleased but it was actually a lot closer than I'd realised in 2019. I've been moved into the next constutuency now which had a stronger Labour majority last time but not massive (about 2,000) and has always been held by Labour. I'll probably vote Labour for the first time ever just to make sure but might still go Lib Dem instead. I don't think we've had any leaflets from any of the Parties and definitely no-one to the door (which is a shame as I'm sure my German dog would love to meet the Reform candidate to discuss Brexit and immigration!) so maybe the Parties have decided it is a foregone conclusion.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

It's interesting how Reform are flat lining until the Truss debacle, then there's a flicker of life before they start gradually improving from the Autumn of 23

I'd guess making immigration the central issue then failing on it has been disastrous for Sunak

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Farage may be popular amongst reform voters but he is really disliked by a majority of people

• rick_chasey

Tories are shameless when they buddy up with big business:

if only they cared this much about university education costs

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

Saw this and thought of Cake Stop...

https://x.com/TomChivers/status/1802750989226631476?t=-8aBuJgTkKqORUYnV-Llrg&s=19

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Bless them for thinking they can 'panic' admissions teams.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

"Two Liz Trusses". I suppose giving us a new unit of measurement is something the Tories have done.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,126

after the epic lies of brexit enabled farage to select the gullible, he's doing it again with reform

i.e. if you want to make money, pile in, he's identified the suckers, they're ripe for exploitation - mega hats (make england great again) should do well

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey

Going through a phase of thinking the polls are so extreme we’re in uncharted territory so the margin of error is quite big

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

"mega hats (make england great again)" I'm sure I trademarked that earlier. 😉🤣

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

Yep. See my comments about my constituency. The Stevos of this world will be hoping that there are enough morons who will vote for a party who can't tell the truth and have proved themselves to be utterly incompetent, because, well...

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    edited June 17

I am wondering if this time around the shy Tories are actually the ones claiming they'll vote Reform.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 17

Thing is we’re at a weird tipping point where a) there’s not much data for reform and b) there’s loads of weird tactical voting going on.

If you stick the small changes between polls into, say ,the FT seat calculator model that spits out huge Tory seat changes - from as little as 40 seats to 180. Massive range.

• Jezyboy

I suspect there are a chunk of seats that the splits are roughly 20% reform, 20% conservative and 35% labour.

So will the Reform vote stand up (or will the Conservative vote further decrease).

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

I don't think the Reform vote will match polling. Even if it's 10% it's still terrible for the Tories though.

• Stevo_666

We get Labour governments in the same way.

I'm just wondering how long afterwards the electoral equivalent of buyers' remorse will set in.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy

As I understand the shy Tory phenomenon is due to being embarrassed about voting for a right wing party...so I'm not sure the typical shy Tory would tell someone they were voting reform?

I think reform will beat UKIPs 2015 vote share.

• Stevo_666

I think that there are quite a few shy lefties as well. Understandably so.