2024 Election thread

Comments

• trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 470

I would suggest otherwise I take no part in creating the farce ,so can critisize them all .

We all know they lie ,we are asked to choose who lies the least .

I won't compromise my morals for that .

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,968

This.

A massive majority is not good. All parties need to be kept on the reign.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

tbh if the numbers are that bad the formal opposition will be the labour left not the tories

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,509

I dunno - I think the anti-Tory feeling is even stronger than in 97, so for most people it's a very simple choice of whoever will boot out the incumbent Tory, and unless Starmer/Labour make some terrible hash, tactical voting with our FPTP system will produce an earthquake. I think that the earthquake is necessary to shock the Tory Party into either coming to its senses and retreating from the far right drift, or falling apart in response to the hammering.

I think a big Labour majority might not be a disaster in its first term, in order to reverse some of the calamitous decisions taken by the Tories, but in the longer term, I'd be no keener on a Labour government with a weak/dysfunctional Opposition than I was on the Tory government with its 80-seat majority.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 1

Yeah a lot of Tory voters have reason to not vote this lot back in.

low tax? Not this lot

low government interference? Not this lot

pro business? Not this lot

pro eu? Not this lot

Stable government? Not this lot

”at least they won’t crash the economy”? Not this lot

Encouraging home ownership? Not this lot

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,533

Low immigration? Nope

• rick_chasey

Can’t be surprising voters want to punish this govt for failing on everything they set out to do.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Not sure they set out to be pro EU tbf but agree with the rest

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

But the plan is working.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146

’The plan is working and ‘Labour haven’t got a plan’ are such a Trumpian thing. Keep repeating something over and over like a mantra and hope your brainwashed supporters start joining in. Luckily, unlike “get Brexit done’ it doesn’t seem to be catching on as even the most stupid can see there is no plan let alone one that is working.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,596
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 1

To not actively wreck all the various parts of the UK.

thats the bar this govt has set. Incredibly low

• First.Aspect

You still don't get the national sentiment that even no plan whatsoever is better than a terrible plan. If the damage is stopped now, you are still looking at nearly a generation at least before the UK has established anything that looks like a stable post-Brexit position. We are 8 years in and we still haven't figured out how to import medicine, for example. All the while, the government is still navel gazing about immigration, and looking for headline grabbing policies rather than actual solutions even to that, because the actual solutions would involve being nice to some French people.

Even you should surely realise that the election strategy the Tories are adopting is already acknowledging defeat, and is seeking merely to limit the bleeding.

At this stage, I am not sure even covert footage of Keir Starmer dwarf throwing would move the dial. People just want rid.

• Stevo_666

That's a bit short on detail. Anyone want to have a proper go?

It shouldn't be difficult as any Labour plan has to be straightforward enough for the average leftie to understand.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy

Not voting is basically a vote for the one that wins, it's not some high minded moral action you seem to think it is.

• Stevo_666

Let's hope that there are still plenty of high minded leftie moralisers in the UK. Reading this forum gives me hope 🙂

• Stevo_666

Anyway, bit of a slap down for Labour from D:Ream

We wouldn't want Labour to tell lies via the medium of song now, would we?

• Jezyboy

If anything it might help him!

Even if we go down the "labour have no plan route"... What is the conservative plan? Wait for a slight economic uptick whilst announcing increasingly unworkable policies that fuel culture wars and waste not insignificant amounts of money?

Fwiw I'd describe Starmers plan as to be returning to a slightly more plodding style of government, with fewer outright nuts policies (Rwanda) but just enough red meat policies to offer something to lefties (school fees VAT).

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027

This. Nobody cares in this country if you choose to drop out. If you had to pay a fine for not voting then the stance might mean something.

• Jezyboy

If you think this forum is left wing you must live in a bubble.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited June 1

Not had an in depth look yet, but given it's very relevant to my industry, the proposed changes to Green Belt designations were welcome. There's a lot more detail needed and the problems with the planning system are much wider than the Green Belt, but it's in marked contrast to the Conservative attitude with the removal of mandatory housing targets and general cheering about how much development has been prevented.

RC mentioned the lifetime allowance, with workarounds for doctors which does sound fairly silly.

There's the GB Energy thing, which I've yet to read up on. I'm not convinced by a lot of it but I don't think it can be said that they don't have a plan.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect

It doesn't matter though Stevo, that's the point. Fwiw to the extent that there is a plan, it seems to be investing in national assets. The GB energy thing to give that sector a leg up seems potentially quite far sighted.

And I personally love that the SNP hate it, because it will "damage the oil and gas sector" that they opposed until a couple of weeks ago, and because presumably it is good for Aberdeen and they can't support anything good for Scotland if it originates in England.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

"Labour don't have a plan" is not a terrible line, but it goes along with "stick with us, you know how good we are" when that's not going to work.

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

It you want to be disabused of voting Tory then having to use the NHS is all it should take right now, it's in an appalling state. I can only assume those 65+ still voting for them are confident they aren't going to be using it anytime soon.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,968

Simply put, having no plan is potentially better than having a proven bad plan.

Then there are the plans that have been announced.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 1

Punishment election.

I’d argue it’s also the end of boomerist politics that has dominated the UK political spectrum since the late 70s

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

I simply don't understand this attack line.

'You know that lawyer you're not sure about? Well it's the popular, relatable, working-class woman who's really in charge'

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!