LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,344
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,906

Can you imagine the uproar if they said that about any other city in the UK?

• On a serious note, and perhaps this is better being answered by actual Tory voters, but all opinions welcome. Is the Tory party now is genuine danger of actually collapsing, or at least splitting off into different parties? I know the initial response is likely to be that this is hyperbole. Thinking about is closely though, they are going to lose the next GE heavily, they have clearly lurched further to the right and centrist Tory MP's seem very few. Reform could quite easily take up a worryingly large % of the vote and challenge them. The Tories have always coalesced around a single leader and factions have buried personal agendas in pursuit of winning elections. It is pretty clear that is no longer the case, dare I say it, they now look more like the Labour party of old with massive infighting and various cliques all vying for power.

Simple question, where does this leave them long term? Especially if predictions are even worse and they have less MP's than '97, which is not inconceivable.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,350

My favourite bit is the shadowy ULEZ enforcer going down an alley that isn't wide enough for any vehicle.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,909

Labour are currently filling that role. Voters will have to think again if they lurch left. Right wing tories are dust.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey

What’s mad is they’re proposing stuff that the polls are saying is unpopular

• kingstongraham

And they are telling me that they think I'm currently shut in my house with a constant fear of crime or the ULEZ bogeymen in the run up to a London mayoral election they are supposed to be trying to win.

• My guess is that they are now just trying not to lose voters to Reform. Polling suggests that they have no support amongst under 50's and 50-65's who would traditionally have voted Tory are the most likely to switch to Reform. I think they are desperately trying to keep hold of them so they maintain some semblance of an opposition at the next GE.

• kingstongraham

Does the message "imagine if your town was as horribly deprived as London" really resonate? I genuinely wouldn't know.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,597

i'm looking forward to london's huge share of levelling up funds

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,804

It's difficult to get upset about something so obviously nonsense.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham

Is it supposed to look like any specific film? I assume it's a nod to something, but I don't know what.

• rjsterry

It's obviously more damaging to the Conservatives than Labour, so one can only assume this is deliberate sabotage.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 428

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/article/cpw0515p6d7o

• kingstongraham

Should make a series of these - next one can be a western about Birmingham council going bankrupt or something. They can then come out and say "Instead of giving that bloke his money back, we've decided to waste it all on making film parodies for the entertainment of the nation."

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,747

Labout are doing a half decent job of making it look like that. But after they get elected, it will be interesting to see how long it takes before they revert to type.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 26

What, being super lax about financial services regulation and being "intensely relaxed about people getting filthy rich"?

Or the longest uninterrupted period of growth for 200 years?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,909

Choice between a party that might screw up the economy, or the party who actually screwed up the economy.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry

63 current Conservative MPs now standing down at the next election.

Will the last one out switch on the answerphone?

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

Absolute raging Tory in the office declared he’s voting labour. “Need to get rid of these bastards. What have they done other than mess things up?”

Was genuinely surprised. He usually makes Thatcher sound sensitive and moderate.

• Stevo_666

Go on admit, you're a Labour voter. Don't forget they inherited a strong economy in 1997, guess who from...

I mean tax and regulate. Its in the Labour DNA.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

When did a Labour government last leave office with the economy in a good state?

• rjsterry

We'll all have different experiences I'm sure but by 2010 we were definitely bouncing back. '10-'15 was reasonable too. Wheels fell off post '16.

Conservatives have added way more regulation in my sector than Labour did.

You still clinging to the idea that this lot lower taxes?

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

I've said it before, there have been some tax rises necessary to deal with the twin major economic Shocks of Covid and Ukraine, but we are at least starting to head in the right direction now. You know what will happen if Labour get in...or are you still clinging to the idea that they won't raise taxes?

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,741

Keep going S666. With the number of current (relatively) sensible Tory MPs doing one and opting out aka running away from the cadre of 'kin headbangers supposedly running this dUK, you could be in with a shout of getting a seat. Bring on the gimme gimme gimme a bung after midnight, or before midnight, or whenever suits you sir...

Just think: you could be the next Christopher Chope upskirting fanboi. Or whatevs.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956

Superb appointment

Hope to see him on on screens as much as possible

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    edited March 26

I'm sure they will. The increased costs of running the country are baked in. Best not to hold up Covid spending and the ludicrous energy handouts as necessary and prudent spending, though 😬.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

Eventually you might string a coherent argument together, but in the meantime, I'll carry on 🙂

Anyway, how is the SNP doing these days?

• Stevo_666

I'll take that as an admission that they will raise taxes. As a business owner I guess you'll be in the firing line. And then there's the increased regulation and workers rights, you must be looking forward to that.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,685

Actually their polling is holding up better than the Tories'.