LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,108

Let's f*cking hope so, as since the Tories have been in charge there has been no wage growth *at all*

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,808

Not particularly. But that's not a reason to maintain the status quo. A change of government might make fewer people point and laugh at the British when we are on holiday, for example.

• I'm not sure that's quite fair. I think we're all generally agreed that boom and bust is a bad thing. My comment was just to take the p*ss out of Brown, who actually thought highlighting that he'd been referring to Tory b&b was helpful to his cause in the aftermath of the GFC.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,889

I mean at this point, it's just a question of how bad it's going to be for the Conservatives. There've been assurances that polls will narrow as we get closer, but so far they've widened even after attempts to bribe middle earners. Every Conservative MP worth paying attention to is jacking it in to leave with some dignity.

Asking what we think of Conservative tax policy is about as relevant as Lib Dem tax policy, whatever TF that is.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,866
    edited March 8

Just as well, otherwise you'll you'll disappointed.

I would guess your previous ridiculing overseas may have been from the Times when you lived in Scotland, but in any event, not sure what a lot of other countries have to laugh about, for example:

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,360

Back to safe territory there with a telegraph opinion piece Stevo

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666

And pack to your standard approach of not properly entering the debate. Well done.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,005

You’re being optimistic. It’s hard to see where a boom is coming from when we’re paying high levels of tax to maintain the bare minimum (at best) public services.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,458

I skim read the article, and it seems that it is saying that Britain's move to Labour is a welcome contrast with the chaos and extremism that is gripping the EU.

"Extremist parties, containing some very nasty elements, are on the rise from Ireland to Greece. Britain’s likely move to the centre-Left under Keir Starmer would be swimming against the European tide. "

The rest is the usual "this isn't the Brexit I voted for" that should be kept quarantined in the Brexit thread for those who want to fight yesterday's battles.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,108

Check Italy's performance out, though in fairness, their (hard right) govt didn't commit to austerity like Labour have.

• rjsterry

Am unconvinced that small tax changes usually announced in budgets make any measurable difference to the overall economic performance. Impact of wars, weather/climate, epidemics and energy crises, or more positively cornering the market in a particular natural or human resource dwarf the effects of tax changes. Economy needs to grow, then there will be higher receipts and everyone's rates can reduce.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,225

And he makes no mention of the elephant in the room of the effect of putting up barriers to trading with your nearest and biggest market.

• pangolin
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666

Exactly, you can't debate properly as you demonstrated above, so you resort to half arsed trolling. What's new? 😉

• rjsterry

There are plenty of discursive points for you to respond to if you want a debate. It'd make a nice change.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

Debating a particular point is optional as far as I knew. My point above was more about the quality of Pango's contribution: sometimes silence is the best option 🙂

• pangolin

Hmm I wrote something there but the forum isn't displaying it.

Stevo you might want to go back and reply to a few of your recent posts to remind yourself that people debating a particular point is optional.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,630

i can understand wanting to eliminate ni as a much needed simplification, ni has always been a tax, end the fantasy that's it's 'insurance'

but if they're going to talk about getting rid of it, they need also to be upfront in explaining how that might work

employer ni payments are pretty hefty (outside very low paying positions and special categories), how is that revenue replaced? corporation tax? some other employment tax? or push all costs onto employee income tax in the (unlikely) expectation employers would increase salaries accordingly?

ni is the entitlement gatekeeper for several benefits, in particular the state pension, how will that work if it's income tax based? years of paying tax? total amount of tax? haruspicy?

is it a tacit admission that the universal state pension will go away? replaced by some means tested benefit? imo it should've moved to means tested long ago

it'd be a huge change, with great scope for (presumably) unintended consequences, i'd like to see some evidence they'd thought about how to do it, rather than it being just a desperate pre-election gamble

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,985

To be honest I'm surprised it's not been touted already, especially in the other thread. Up income tax to make it cost balanced for employees and employers and the net tax collected would rise. The party in charge could then be "the good guys" by increasing thresholds to get a compromise gain for the government and employees.

I'm suggesting this much like a turkey suggesting Christmas.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,225

Yeah, other than being mean to those on lowest incomes, I don't see the logic in reducing NI whilst holding thresholds at current levels at a time of high inflation, unless the aim is to try to claim that state pensions and the NHS are no longer funded.

Oh, sorry, I seem to have answered myself there.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,981

Changing the state pension is just a big political ache. The only "fair" way of changing it from bein a universal benefit would be to say everyone born after X wouldn't receive a state pension.

Where X is a date that gives enough time for individuals to plan for having to rely 100% on a private pension.

The trouble is, by the time that lot are retiring, you're out of power, so you can't see any benefit to what I imagine would be hugely unpopular policy.

At least large capex long term projects provide some employment during their creation.

• Stevo_666

There is also simplification as having 2 taxes on the same income makes things inherently more complex.

• rjsterry

Perhaps I am remembering incorrectly, but I'm sure I can recall the topic coming up in 6th form General Studies. That would be about 30 years ago. I guess I'm unusual in assuming that whatever state pension was left when I was eligible would be negligible.

Definitely agree that it is always put on the too difficult/won't win us any seats pile by successive governments.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,998

It would take all party consensus, and over 30+ years to introduce if you were to do away with the State Pension.

Like proper reform of the NHS, it will never happen because no politican would dare risk it.

However, merging NI with income tax makes a lot of sense, though you would need to determine how you then build entitlement to the State Pension or qualify for other NI related benefits.

• pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry

Because hypothecated taxes are a hostage to fortune.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    edited March 10

Much like N.I. getting continually reduced?

Where there is a will there is a way. That can be for better, or worse depending on your point of view.

Veronese68 wrote: