'Ouses, Greenbelt and stuff

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221

So the Developer that knocked down the Crooked House pub have been ordered to rebuild it. Now, I'm all for Developer's being punished for this sort of thing but I'm really struggling to see the benefit to anyone of rebuilding something that was really only known because the original building was so poorly constructed. It's interest was in the way it ended up like that over time and was still standing. Surely it would have been better to just fine the Developer and force them to build a couple of social houses on the plot the demolition created so they didn't benefit from it?

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,771

Might be because the punishments available means rebuilding it far exceeds the fines.

Not sure how they are going to be able to do it though. Isn't safely engineering what was going to be quite hard?

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    edited February 27

I presume that is because the rule is to reinstate the original building and anything other than that is difficult to enforce?

I have worked on buildings with inclined brickwork but your average local builder is probably going to struggle with a wall at 15 degrees.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,668

"Should have thought about that before you knocked it down, shouldn't you?"

I think the punishment fits the crime here. The harder it is, the better.

• Pross

I found the whole ‘outpouring of grief’ for a building that apparently wasn’t getting much use and was famous for basically being in shit condition a bit odd.

There’s far too much developable land in existing urban areas occupied by buildings that should be pulled down but they are protected simply because they’re old. I’m all for protecting exemplar buildings but preserving them simply because they were built a few centuries ago seems a bit silly. I wonder if people in the 24th century will protect the 1970s Barratt estate I live on.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,144

The Georgian terraces that everyone holds up as one of our greatest achievements were just the spec housing of their day and many are pretty shoddily built. I've also just come across a Conservation Area of late 60s dormer bungalows so I'd suggest yes we will.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,016

Flip side is that if Barratt houses of the 70s were built like those in the 80s then they won't be standing long enough. 😉

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Is there an era where the build quality is good? I feel like most eras have a decent chunk of shoddiness.

• Pross

There'll be good and bad from all eras I suspect. A lot of it will come down to the money spent and quality of materials at the time. Anything still standing after hundreds of years is doing a good job either by design or luck I would say, I don't think much is designed with an expectation it will survive over a century (even major infrastructure like motorway bridges are only designed for 120 years). I think modern houses get undue stick but they're being compared to the relatively few older buildings that have remained over the years and that are quite often like Trigger's broom in reality.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891

Quality, speed, cost - pick 2.

Guess what everyone always picks?

• rjsterry

A **lot** of Georgian and Victorian housing has already fallen down or been demolished. They were no more interested in quality than we are.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,016

Note to self. Jokey remarks will be taken seriously.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry

Wasn't taking it that seriously. Yes a lot of late 20th century stuff will become will become hardcore for the next round of housing. But the idea that there was some golden era when things were built to last is a myth.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,774

There was a pub near here thats just been demolished (Birdlip Air Balloon) to make way for road improvements that there was a massive outpouring of grief for. The fact is the brewery got rid as soon as it could as it was losing money hand over fist as noone ever went there, as it was in such a crap location.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Pross

I know it well one of theose pubs old people say something like 'the drink driving laws killed it off'. That roundabout is a nightmare, I certainly wouldn't be stopping there for a quick lunch. Really miss the diner in the bus that was in the layby up the road though.

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

Gove got his arse kicked on appeal in the M&S Oxford Street scheme then. The High Court said "not only misunderstood but also inadmissibly rewrote the provisions of the NPPF to create a strong presumption in favour of the reuse of buildings where no such presumption exists." That's pretty damning!

• rjsterry

A shame as I think he was actually right about that particular case.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

You don’t think the area could be used better by demolishing and re-building?

• rjsterry

I think the area could be used better - large department stores are rapidly becoming obsolete. I just don't think demolition is necessary. Reuse is almost always a better option. Its a framed structure so could be relatively easily stripped back, reconfigured and extended upwards.

Gove's decision was also in line with Westminster's new policies to require re-use wherever possible.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

Bristol City Council have had their decision making powers for 'minor' applications taken off them and given to the Planning Inspectorate due to their poor record in deciding applications. Not quite sure where I stand on this, in part delays are because of staff cuts which is due to funding from Government being cut but it is also about time something was done as the system takes the piss at times.

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

This is a mad story:

“He says their monthly service charge went from an initial £94 a month to £515 by April 2023 - and, two weeks ago, he was informed that it would rise again, to £646 a month.”

• Pross

So who is at fault for this? The greedy landlords obviously but presumably their solicitor warned them there was no restriction on the increase?

• Pross

Looking at it in detail it seems the increase is mainly due to the initial charge being estimated and insurance going through the roof.

• rick_chasey

I have no idea about any of this but the idea of leaseholds seems mad to me.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,588

As I posted before, this is having an impact on the retired.

• Pross

You can’t really own the land your home is on when it is shared with other people though and then in flats there are common areas to maintain.

It’s a bit different but my house was leasehold when I bought it with around 70 years left. Ground rent was very low but could have risen massively at the end (wouldn’t have directly affected us but could have made selling difficult).

We checked it would be possible to buy the freehold being buying the house and then as soon as we could afford it we bought it. If we hadn’t we would have needed permission of the freeholder for any works such as extensions and the ground rent could have increased massively plus the freehold cost would have risen a lot.

• rick_chasey
    edited March 16

in the Netherlands you all own a proportion of the land and communal areas, proportional to the size of your flat vs the others , and share costs along those lines. (So if it’s a 3 flat building and the flats are 60m, 60m and 80m) you split it 30%, 30%, 40% for costs like fixing the roof etc. There are guidelines in place for if one property has the garden etc)

For buildings over a certain number of properties there are basically minimum rules that owners are obliged to adhere to, including an AGM run on certain grounds etc.