Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674

And still they haven't got the full compliment of meds from last week I put in on the 12th. Nor the script the doc sent through this morning. Eejits!!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

For family reasons been swimming quite a lot and not done much cycling.

Hadn’t quite appreciated how nice it is not to just regularly get abuse doing your sport till I got on the bike to run some errands today.

Most people are pretty polite in the gym.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163

Booking what looked like a perfect AirBnB place in Northumberland for a few days when I go up to run Kielder Marathon. I checked Google Maps and it was a 10 mile / 25 minute drive to the start from the accommodation which is in the forest and perfect for taking the dogs plus maybe doing some night sky photos if the weather plays ball. On checking with the owner it turns out that Google Maps gives directions via forestry tracks you aren't allowed to drive and the actual route is a circuitous 55 mile, 90 minute drive so had to cancel and book something closer (still looks nice but not as nice). Just glad I thought to ask after trying to drop the yellow man onto Google Streetview and getting no roads coming up!

• rick_chasey
    edited February 20

Does anyone have any advice?

I keep getting hassled on my front door by these people claiming to be “reformed” criminals selling cheap cleaning tat, with some dog eared dodgy looking laminated piece of paper.

They've been coming for over a few years but they’re really stepping up their pushiness recently, ringing multiple times if I don’t listen to their patter.

Ive googled them and they’re almost certainly a group of criminals who are looking at which houses to burgle.

ive reported it to the police a few times but they don’t ever seem to stop them.

i make sure they don’t hand a chance to see anything in the house etc but the increase in pushiness worries me.

any serious advice?

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Do you have one of those stickers in the window saying no unsolicited callers or something similar?

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,711

Move house.

Or get a video door bell thing that's really conspicuous.

Buy an alsatian.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,560

Yeah, I was going to say some sort of clever replay device that will play the sound of a big dog when the doorbell is rung, with a few different versions or algorithm that varies the replay. And a conspicuous CCTV out of reach above the front door.

• First.Aspect

Alsatians are giant babies with anxiety. They just look problematic. Ideal family pet.

• briantrumpet

Or maybe just one of those new-fangled smart doorbells with a camera and an app. Might dissuade them from ringing the doorbell in the first place.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,642
    edited February 20

Another reason to move house. Or failing that, answer the door wearing a hockey mask and holding a meat cleaver.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect

Open the door buck naked with a boner.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 910

I would have thought they would keep clear of anywhere with a camera.

• Pross

The GSD has worked a treat for me with junk mail. I heard the bloke who leaflets my street telling the neighbour he doesn’t come to me because it isn’t worth the risk after the dog jumped up at the door (I did feel a bit guilty as I think he has learning disabilities but ultimately I don’t want rubbish through my letterbox that I then have to chuck in recycling).

He actually loves people but he is genetically programmed to go nuts at anyone encroaching on his turf. I suspect it would definitely put off anyone scoping the street for houses to burgle.

• briantrumpet

Sorry to hear your dog has learning disabilities, @Pross

• Pross

Yeah, I think a ring doorbell or CCTV camera is the most sensible idea as they’ll know their face is on camera if there is any subsequent crime.

I had it a few times in the past around here but not for years, in that case they claimed to be deaf. Always thought it was more just a very basic scam to guilt trip you into buying something off them back then rather than them doing a recce for some house breaking.

• First.Aspect

All of the news I read this morning. All of it.

1. Scottish FAs decision to sell rights to their national team to a paywalled provider being blamed on the English by an SNP.
    2. What is clearly a photo of a bird strike damage to a aircraft wing being linked to the Boeing manufacturing issues
    3. Another of the endless "this new battery material will change everything" articles based solely on the throwaway final paragraph academics put in papers to try to get more funding, when the odds of the development making any difference within the next decade is almost zero
    4. Tax rises implemented by Labour councils who have inherited disasters caused by Tory investment gambling being reported without mentioning the Tories.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538

I can't decide whether the local government cuts are scandalous and duplicitous, or whether it's "good politics".

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604

Swimming... someone doing breast stroke even in the fast lane today.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • photonic69

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,981

It is embarrassing getting beaten by someone doing the breaststroke. I'd be annoyed too.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin

In fairness you do occasionally get someone doing it at a surprising pace and they're no issue, providing the lanes are wide enough.

Today was not one of those and they had 4 people queued up behind them.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

The cost of travel insurance. Mine seems to have tripled in three years. Covid is the gift that keeps on giving.

• rick_chasey

If you really want to annoy them you can explain that proper breastroke technique means their arms shouldn't be that much wider than their shoulders anyway, and they're pulling with their hands pointing down not to the side.

• photonic69

Modern coverage of the Snooker. They use such sensitive microphones now that it picks up so much background hum it's like they are playing in a chiller room at the back of Tescos.

It's meant to be a relaxing sport. This is anything but.

• pangolin
    edited February 22

One clocked me from a lane over the other day, across the dividers.

Your comment the other day was right though, it's a lot less agro than drivers.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey

Across the dividers? Baha. Sounds personal!

My wife commented I’m in a much better mood after swimming than cycling and I’m beginning to think the abuse on the road affects my mood more than I thought.

• rick_chasey
    edited February 26

Update on the car keying - seems there is a serial vandal and someone around the corner has got a description. Dog walker with a noticeable dog/outfit, apparently early evening.

Very tempted to keep an eye out and confront tbh. Not like the rozzers will do anything. Maybe try and get a photo of his face or something.

• First.Aspect

Is that either legal or sensible?