Myfanwy be all of your life

Under the bright midday sunshine.

And may the blushing of health

To dance a hundred years on your cheek.

Forget all your promises

Did you do it for someone, pretty girl,

And give your hand, good Myfanwy

To just say the word "Farewell"

I think there's enough similarities that you can connect the Welsh and English lines, but maybe that's just me. For example Canol dydd is literally the centre of the day as in "Canolfan". Ddawnsio sounds a bit like dance.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163

Yeah that’s similar to what I try to do. I also try to associate the word with a word I know and put it into a ‘story’ which is a technique I hear those people who memorise things really quickly talking about.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,641

I know Myfanwy as she was the barmaid from the Daffyd Thomas sketches in 'Little Britain' 🙂

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross

We considered it as the name for our first daughter bur ruled it out as people would always be spelling it wrong. I've got a friend called Ieuan that I run with, it's incredible how many different ways people can find to spell a 5 letter name incorrectly.

• Stevo_666

I would have thought you'd also rule it out to avoid her being the butt of jokes related to villages or Dafydd.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,711

My wife had to place a child called Clamidia once. (Think that was the spelling). Abbreviated, one presumes, to Clammy. They probably thought it was a posh Latin name for an attractive house plant.

Nominative determinism at its finest.

• Pross

The cushy life of millennials. Just saw a post from a friend of mine saying she’s officially mortgage free and not yet 40. Single, lives alone, gave up her job as a teacher a couple of years ago to go back to Uni, drives a nice car (far newer than mine). F**k millennials

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Good effort - what's the job?

• Pross

She was a maths teacher but has been a student again for the last couple of years retraining (something sport related I think) so nothing particularly high earning. Probably would have forked out about £100k on a house in her area 15-20 years ago at a guess. No idea how she's done it but she sommented that it was down to hard work and saving. I'd initially hoped to be paid off by late 40s but that didn't work out, should be mid to late 50s now.

• First.Aspect

Bank of mum and dad? Fucking millennials benefitting from the fucking boomers.

• rick_chasey
    edited March 1

That's the world we want to live in - where you have to rely on your parents deep into your 30s.

Everyone bangs on about inequality when it's America but when it's staring them in the face in the UK it's just parents being charitable.

• First.Aspect
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 1

What's funny about it?

Bernie Hickman, chief executive of L&G Retail said: 'Family wealth is increasingly becoming a prerequisite for homeownership, effectively locking some groups out of the housing market for years while they save for deposits, or even altogether.

• First.Aspect

Nothing Rick, nothing at all is funny.

• rick_chasey

TBF, making a really poor sarcastic comment and then complaining that other people don't have a sense of humour because it wasn't very funny isn't the winning argument you think it is.

• First.Aspect

Pffffffffffffffft.

• Stevo_666
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 910

Is he really bitter because mum and dad left it to the dogs/ cats home.

• Stevo_666

Seem to recall that Rick may have missed out on inheritance in the past, which could explain why he doesn't want anyone else to get it.

Bit late for me, as Mrs. 666 and I already came into our inheritance and we didn't pay a penny in tax. C'est la vie...

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,981

Microsoft. Trying to help an elderly neighbour set up a new tablet after his previous one failed. He has no memory* of his passwords so setting up is problematic. No problem, let's go through the reset password procedure. Last step, insert previously used passwords. Huh? What? If we knew passwords we wouldn't be here. "Retrieval is impossible without passwords for security reasons."

Of course absolutely every app/contact uses the old email which he can't access. Complete ball ache.

*Yes, it's primarily his fault. Too late to explain that although the device remembers passwords doesn't mean you can forget them or not keep a record.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

I had the same issue with a previous email account. I used the helpdesk which, from memory, replied after several days and asked me the same questions I couldn’t answer online. A lot of accounts I had then set up using that account couldn’t be accessed as they would send a verification email to that account before I could change my email address.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,030
    edited March 1

That’s what I’ll do. What I can’t squander the cats can have it. I never inherited anything, pre-boomer parents didn’t have a pot….

Kids can make their own.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,105

Not having a family would be a pretty massive saving.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey

And a house for £100k

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,203

Mr Manage-Your-Finances-Properly here paid off his mortgage at 43. Who needs a look-at-me lifestyle?

• pblakeney

Not playing one-up-manship but 41 for me.

How? While my peers were buying 5 bedroom detached houses, getting flash cars and going off 5* holidays during the boom years I was paying off my 3 bedroom semi, sticking with an old car and mostly taking long weekends in the UK. Some will think my peers did better but I'm retired with zero cash worries while they are working.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,030

Ha I bet you also maxed on voluntary pension contributions when they couldn’t afford it too

• pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Still possible just about - you’d need to ditch Londoncentricity though (or accept a 1 hour 40 minute each way commute)

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,560

I've got five bedrooms, albeit in two houses separated by 800 miles.

Also mortgage-free in my early 40s, but can't remember exactly when. Last car was £700, which has so far done six years. Previous was £2k, did ten years. Commuting cost is replacement bits for bike. Certified tightwad, like my parents.