Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

Still need at least another 100 runs with our bowling attack imo but fair play to Pope, he's produced an innings I didn't think he had in him.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

I know Baz Ball is all about scoring quickly but I think Deep Dasgupta is being a bit optimistic: "England are back in the game. Rehan looked quite handy. Another 40 04 50 runs and we could have an interesting day four or five."

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,422
    edited January 27

What an innings by Pope. Amazing.

I also think the game is probably gone, but this pitch on day 4 and 5 might be lower scoring, so if England’s lead is getting towards 200 it'll at least be a contest. Which is pretty remarkable really when at one stage it looked like India might not even have to bat twice - they wrapped it up nicely this morning as well, they'll need more of that in the 4th innings.

Google cricket widget thingy gives England 14.4% to win at the moment, which probably feels reasonable. Really they needed Foakes to go on and make a bigger score as he looked well set. But it was down at about 4% at one point so it is some recovery.

I think they have batted pretty well really but they let just India get too many on the board. Given Bumrah had it reversing, maybe they could have used Jimmy...

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804

And here was me thinking these comments by Duckett after day 1 were utterly ridiculous.

Meanwhile, sounds like the Aus v WI game was pretty incredible.

• JimD666
    edited January 28

The Windies beating the Aussies at the Gabba could actual be one of the biggest supporting shocks of the year. Not bad for January.

Edited for spelling

• bobmcstuff

I always like it when someone loses after declaring but I guess if they declared at 9 down there was a reason (only seen the scorecard).

This India game though, wowowow

• bobmcstuff

I said a lead of getting towards 200 would be defendable:D

• JimD666

Can't help but think if Root was still skipper, Tom Hartley wouldn't of bowled again after his awful first 4 overs in the first innings.

Guess how you give people experience? Could it be you play them? Then trust them if it doesn't go according to plan?

What a weird concept 🤯🧐

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

This is tense

• Pross

I can see them fluking a win here with the comedy batting.

• mrb123

Wow

• bobmcstuff

That was brilliant, just brilliant. Winning from 190 behind against India in India.

Said on screen India have never lost from a 100+ lead at home before.

I was mainly just happy to see England were making a contest of it really after that first innings, didn't have especially high hopes...

• Pross

9 wickets and over 50 valuable runs is a decent debut!

• JimD666

Also first English man to be hit for 6 with his first ball in Test Cricket!

Although I suspect he'd rather forget that particular fact :)

• Pross

Showed good mental strength and probably benefited from the confidence Stokes showed in him. Taking him out of the attack could have destroyed him.

• JimD666

India close on 336-6.

Not a terrible day for England. India probably a little miffed that, aside from Jaiswal (179no), nobody kicked on to a decent score.

Good debut from Bashir (28 overs bowled for a couple of wickets) picked up the Indian skipper Rohit early on.

Intriguing set up for the remain 4(or so) days of Cricket

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492

Honours even I would say. If we can clean up the last wickets early tomorrow then could be game on.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711

Day two has been going pretty well, so far……….

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mrb123

Swinging in India's favour at the moment

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711

………so far wasn’t very far, as England revert to type.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JimD666

Not having access to watching it (last time I bought BT/TNT sport was for the last Ashes tour Down Under. Not doing that again) I'm unsure how much you point fingers at the batting or just applaud Bumrah's bowling. Judging by the live text he's been the real difference.

Great bowling is great bowling.

• JimD666

Standard comment regarding England batting coming up: Should of been a lot better, could of been a lot worse.

• bobmcstuff

Yeah Bumrah has really been great. The way he gets the ball reversing and moving both ways is incredible. Obviously I didn't watch all of it... but I've been sitting in bed watching on my phone for a few hours!

The wicket has been a lot flatter than people were saying and I think both sides might have appreciated a second seamer - Anderson was pretty handy as well with 3 wickets at 1.9 an over.

• JimD666

399 runs to win.

England under Root? All out for 150 after tamely trying to bat out for two days.

England under Stokes? Not a clue. Could be all out for 60 swinging the bat. Could win (yeah probably not). I know which team I'd rather watch/listen/follow live text to.

• JimD666

India's Shubman Gill: "We are pretty much in the game, I think it is about 70-30 at the moment.

India are far more worried about England's batting than they really should be.

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

As was evident during India's second innings in the first test England had well and truly got into their heads. I suspect they'll be a slightly different beast when Kholi returns.

• JimD666
    edited February 5

Beat by 106 runs. Big defeat to be honest but still far better than I feared. More so if you look at the last couple of tests we played in India in 2021

• bobmcstuff
    edited February 16

Yeah I wasn't expecting them to win the first test either, but it's much better this way where they actually make a good go of it.

Good start from England today! Frankly brilliant sweeping from Duckett, he really put the pressure back onto Ashwin.

• JimD666
    edited February 16

If we keep scoring at the rate they're going at we'll match India's score in another 40 overs. If we match their overs batted at the current rate, England will lead by 320 odd runs.

It's nuts. Fun but nuts 😀

It's not that long ago that 207-2 after 35 would of been considered a decent start for a ODI