Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,073
    edited December 2023

300-odd cases in non-smokers out of just over 50,000.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,660

Table 2 is where most of the analysis can be found.

I'm not great on statistics, but "model 1" is age adjusted, and shows for the mere presence of a wood burner or fireplace, an HR of 1.05, with a 95% confidence of 0.88 (which would mean wood burners reduce risk of lung cancer) to 1.31, centred at 1.05.

Under model 2, they adjust for no fewer than 9 factors all at once and what do you know the presence of a wood burner or fireplace means this jumps to an HR of 1.42 (CI @95 1.11-1.81).

Okay, so far seems plausible. Then they specifically separate out whether that fireplace was actually used or not. The age adjusted model 1 data shows an HR of 1.25, but the model 2 HR is still the same - 1.43, yet 12000 of the cohort of 31000 have been removed and added to the "baseline" because they say the fireplace wasn't used.

Therefore, this seems to show that there is no difference, in their multi-adjusted model 2 data, between the HR regardless of whether the fireplace was used. Just having a lump of iron in the room increases the risk of lung cancer by 40%, under their model. So what is this showing? That people in old houses are more prone to lung cancer?

This suggests either the data is wrong (i.e. "Did the fireplace ever get used?" "Um... no?") or the various assumptions they used to compensate for (x9) are wrong somehow.

You an kind of see the problems in the next row down, where they split out no use, 1-29 days a year use and at least one month a year use of said fireplace. Model 1 (age adjusted only) shows an HR of 0.88 and model 2 1.14 but with a wide CI and both relatively small numbers (less than 100 cancer diagnoses).

Table 3 gets worse, because it seems to show that smoking has a protective effect on cancer risk from a wood burner. There's a whopping HR of 1.9 if you never smoke, but 0.99 if you smoke.

A lot of the rest seems to me to be such small subsets that conclusions are (even more) risky.

To summarise, I think they analysed the shit out of these data and drew conclusions based on these HR and CI values, but didn't step back to see whether they were consistent with one another or actually made sense. The fact they had a smattering of HR values of less than 1 should ring alarm bells and cast doubt on at least positive associations of the same magnitude above 1.

The problem seems to me to be the data itself. Smoking is down to never, or "more than once" and usage of a fireplace over a decade is broken down to never, rarely, regularly. And all of this is self-reported.

• rjsterry

Here's the Guardian article

Just a salad of numbers and quotes.

You've obviously read it through more carefully than me: I stopped when they lumped all wood burning together. This seems to be going the same way as the general conversation about processed food.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594

I thought processed foods was basically an epidemiological correlation they’ve found and they’re now trying to work out the causation.

• rjsterry

I think it suffers from a similar lack of clarity that lumps almost anything other than raw ingredients under the meaningless heading of processed food.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,514

They've moved on to ultra-processed food now, because people like me always pointed out that milk and flour were processed. But I'm annoying like that. Same goes with people who "cook from scratch" - they don't mill the grain into flour.

• rick_chasey

the focus is “ultra processed” not processed, and there is a proven epidemiological correlation between higher proportion ultra processed food in diets and higher proportions of diet related or influenced illnesses and deaths.

There was a good discussion on it on newsnight when it came up. They had one of the researchers on and she was basically saying the above.

• rick_chasey

Turns out one of the MiL’s “most watched channels” is GB news FML

• First.Aspect

I feel bad for you. How is the smiling and nodding training going?

• rick_chasey

She’s got very friendly with a 65 year old EDL supporter, all tied to that, really.

Just shows who can support that kind of nonsense.

@First.Aspect she knows better than to talk politics with me.

• First.Aspect

Yeah, but it's going to creep in. And she's going to believe in ghosts,Santa, god or that COVID didn't happen or global warming is actually the opposite or someshit isn't she?

Gullible is gullible.

• rick_chasey

Less conspiratorial more hardcore cliche boomer stuff.

You name a boomer cliche, she’ll have said it

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,589
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194

Was waiting on the platform to board the train from its start station. Doors don't open then lights go out.

Train team had to "reboot" the train, twice, to get it to wake up. Tech eh? A bit like old school ctrl-alt-del but scaled up a degree or 2.

20 minutes later, ok let's go...

• rick_chasey
    edited December 2023

Yeah. Avos, wokery, pitiful state pensions but too generous benefits.

boJo is a legend and the establishment stitched him up.

Kids nowadays are too soft. Can’t say anything these days, political correctness gone mad.

IHT is a moral travesty etc

Younger generations moan too much. My favourite is that my family doesn’t work hard enough to afford proper sized houses (she’s never had a paid job in her life and she lives on her own in a 5 bedroom house, in a cul de sac of similarly sized houses, all occupied by widowed or coupled retirees who’s children have all left a decade or two ago)

• orraloon

Another one.

Tim Horton's? Yesterday in Glasgow centre I saw a branch and went 'woah'. I remember the brand from trips to Canada back in late 90s / early 00s and remember enjoying good coffee and snack breaks in pleasant environment.

Google being a friend shows there are now Tim Horton's units all over the dUK - who knew? - so are they any good or just another fastfood fatboi / gurl outlet? Don't want to tarnish my memories 😉

• First.Aspect

Tim Hortons only ever did did good doughnuts, mediocre bagels and bad coffee.

• Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,528

If the one local to me is anything to go by, they now do bad burgers, in addition to their bad doughnuts.

• orraloon

Ok so the dUK franchise of Tim Horton's delivers normal style dUK shite fastfood. I'll not bother. Ta.

• rick_chasey
    edited December 2023

Nah I just think a “f@ck em, I deserve more” politics is all anyone else does.

what is it the lifetime pay in to the UK coffers for those born in the 50s is £950k and the total lifetime government spend on benefits is what, £1.2m

They’ve played a blinder so f@ck em.

• Stevo_666

Care to elaborate? That could mean anything from joining Hamas to voting Labour 🙂

• rick_chasey
    edited December 2023

Just f@ck old people. If they were bad at saving tough sh!t.

Cut pensions. Charge for GP visits.

Give em an option for a housing capital gains tax every year, starting with a backdated bill or massive IHT. Chose your poison.

• First.Aspect

Would you charge everyone for GP visits, or just boomers?

• rick_chasey

Any adult.

• First.Aspect

What about hospital visits?

• rick_chasey
    edited December 2023

Flat fee, same as GP visit.

So if you’re at death’s door, great value. Hilary going because she got lightheaded after going up the stairs 8 time in a row, maybe not so much.