Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    edited December 2023
    It's showing as as 8:09. Have you got rotation lock on?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Shows correctly on the laptop but not on my phone which is odd as my phone is saying the correct time for the time zone. Maybe something changed when I was abroad.
  • Pross
    That’s fixed it. I’d had to set my time zone to Oslo manually as the automatic option didn’t work. For some reason the time had gone back to UK time but the time zone hadn’t been changed, I must have amended it manually. That might also explain why my Garmin kept going an hour ahead whenever I download an activity.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,588
    Pross said:

Why are posts on here showing to me as being made an hour into the future (e.g this will show as 9.08)? I assume something has happened with my location data. I’ve also noticed the thing is back where I have to decline cookies every few times I open the forum.

Might be a local setting - either your computer or your browser / BR settings. Your post shows as 08:09 for me and this one shows as 09:38.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,651
    Why can't I buy Salt in my usual Sainsburys supermarket? Been like that for two weeks now?
    No headline news of a salt shortage?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• photonic69
    Also - I turned off my AdBlock Plus on Firefox and still I'm not getting adverts on this BR site. Which is nice. Wish it would stay that way for all other crapulent sites.

• photonic69
    Why are there so many accidents on the M5 in Somerset between J19 and J24. It seems like there are accidents every 2-3 days causing problems. It's not an exceptional stretch, it's pretty ordinary. If it's not the M-Way it must be the drivers that are exceptionally bad?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874

Why are there so many accidents on the M5 in Somerset between J19 and J24. It seems like there are accidents every 2-3 days causing problems. It's not an exceptional stretch, it's pretty ordinary. If it's not the M-Way it must be the drivers that are exceptionally bad?

Could be wrong but from memory is that roughly where it changes from 3 lanes to 2?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    pblakeney said:

Could be wrong but from memory is that roughly where it changes from 3 lanes to 2?

No, it's 3 lanes all the way down to Exeter.

• pangolin
    It's briefly 4 up the hill between 19 and 20, then back to 3. That can't help.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Drops from 4 to 3 between 20 and 21.

I find it is one of those sections that seems pretty busy but outside of peak holiday season it tends to keep flowing so you have cars bowling along at well over 70mph with virtually no braking gap. I think it was the first stretch I ever saw with the 'keep 2 chevrons apart' markings so I suspect that has been identfied as a particular problem but everyone ignores them.
  • photonic69
    Just a brief search of the dire local news website:

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/search/?q=m5+crash

We always try to avoid it if we can. It just seems to have more than its fair share of problems.

• pblakeney
    edited December 2023
    pangolin said:

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of. I remember a bottleneck and some dodgy driving with traffic at a wide range of different speeds.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pangolin
    pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of. I remember a bottleneck and some dodgy driving with traffic at a wide range of different speeds.
    It's an odd setup - the "new" lane is on the left hand side of the motorway, so people who were in lanes 1 and 2 take half the hill to actually move over to the new 1 and 2, which encourages undertaking.

Then right at the top of the hill the fast lane disappears, so lots of folk speed up as the "merge in 300, 200, 100..." signs go by to get in front of someone before merging.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,372

Somerset drivers. Said only slightly with tongue in cheek, as I remember cycling from Exeter to Shaftesbury how much more 'interesting' the driving in Somerset was.
  • First.Aspect

Somerset drivers. Said only slightly with tongue in cheek, as I remember cycling from Exeter to Shaftesbury how much more 'interesting' the driving in Somerset was.
    Caravans. On that stretch anyway.

There is never weather bad enough to deter these people from dragging the kids down to Newquay for the weekend.

• photonic69

Caravans. On that stretch anyway.

There is never weather bad enough to deter these people from dragging the kids down to Newquay for the weekend.

We saw an X5 dragging a small RIB on a trailer bouncing like f*ck doing about 90/95 in the 3rd lane. Totally oblivious to all around them. Twunts!

• Also - I turned off my AdBlock Plus on Firefox and still I'm not getting adverts on this BR site. Which is nice. Wish it would stay that way for all other crapulent sites.

Just had to check:-
    crapulent - adjective
    crap·​u·​lent -lənt
    archaic : suffering from excessive eating or drinking

About right.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Watched a couple of iPlayer episodes of Doctor Who (Tennant and Tate). Scripted by Russell T Davies again. Getting definite vibes of ET, Alien and Star Wars. Just stir the pot and there ye go.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    When watching a YT video and then leaving to another tab, the audio continues playing, but does the video keep playing?
  • briantrumpet
    masjer said:

When watching a YT video and then leaving to another tab, the audio continues playing, but does the video keep playing?

Not if you put your device in the fridge and close the door.
  • masjer

masjer said:

That'll just confuse matters further for me, as I won't be able to hear if the audio still works in the fridge.
  • briantrumpet
    masjer said:

masjer said:

That'll just confuse matters further for me, as I won't be able to hear if the audio still works in the fridge.

And goodness knows what happens if a tree falls down in a fridge.
  • masjer

masjer said:

masjer said:

I think Schrödinger's cat is stuck up that tree too.
    It's things like this that'll keep me up all night.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,853
    masjer said:

masjer said:

masjer said:

Or is it?
  • pblakeney
    monkimark said:

masjer said:

masjer said:

masjer said:

Or is it?
    Yes, it's still a cat.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969
    The weird backlash against wood burning.

Saw this study via some typically poor and wildly misleading science reporting in the Guardian.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412023004014?via%3Dihub

One for @"First.Aspect" to get stuck into but the obvious flaw is lumping open hearths in with modern stoves that have combustion fully isolated from the room.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I started salivating as soon as I was told it was pavlova for pudding.

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • First.Aspect

Can't find the grauniad article, but whenever you hear about increasing the risk of something by a factor of two, you have to ask what the risk was in the first place.

• briantrumpet

That was the favourite trick during the pandemic when news was slow... David Spiegelhalter was a good chap to follow.