Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,765
    Splashed out on some wireless cans and they're f*cking excellent.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,965
    edited April 2021

Splashed out on some wireless cans and they're f*cking excellent.

Wot, like this, but without the string?

• briantrumpet
    Gerunds.

Rather niche, I'll grant you.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,396
    edited April 2021
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pinno said:
    What’s a bird got to do to get some privacy round here?
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    When you have a hair in your nose, itching and annoying you and eventually a good nose blow frees the wiry torturer.
  • briantrumpet
    Seeing how many people are using Co-Bikes in and around Exeter. Like their car-share scheme, it's not cheap, but that they are being well used is heartening, as I can see that a lot of the people using them aren't habitual cyclists, and more bikes on the roads means we're more visible, and car drivers will just have to get used to us being on 'their' roads. https://www.co-bikes.co.uk/
  • pinno
    I've been to Exeter. In fact, i've been all over the world: Bodmin, Gunwalloe, Cornwall, Boscastle...

And what struck me, is that it is a wonder most of them are intelligent enough to pass a driving test.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have just walked past a United Utilities employee trying to find an underground water main. Was he using the wonders of modern technology to do the job? No, he had two L shaped metal rods with little balls on their ends!
    I thought water divining had something to do with witchcraft!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,631
    lesfirth said:

I have just walked past a United Utilities employee trying to find an underground water main. Was he using the wonders of modern technology to do the job? No, he had two L shaped metal rods with little balls on their ends!

Had a site about 20 years ago where the contractor was struggling to locate a BT duct with the usual methods. The BT guy turned up on site and got a pair of divining rods out of the van. We all looked at each other with raised eyebrows but he found the duct in no time (they tend to hold a surprising amount of water).
  • briantrumpet
    Making a start on my tax return for 2020-21. Hell, if I feel brave, I might finish it after lunch :smile:

Mind you, I'll probably have forgotten by next January that I've done it and will start panicking anyway.
  • pinno

Making a start on my tax return for 2020-21. Hell, if I feel brave, I might finish it after lunch :smile:

Mind you, I'll probably have forgotten by next January that I've done it and will start panicking anyway.

I used to do the short return but when it all went online, I can do it anytime really. I suppose...
  • Pross
    When queuing outside the vaccination centre yesterday someone came out and got in his car that was parked at the end of the cul-de-sac service road in front. The road gets narrower towards the end so he was in the tightest space. He got in his car which was a bit of a knackered old thing, crunched into reverse then reversed out into a cone position on the far side that stuck under his bumper. After a few efforts at getting out of the space he concluded the best bet was to reverse part of the way down the service road to a wider spot and then turn. This took about a 5 point turn (at this point he had at least 1.5 car lengths to play with) with even more crunching of gears. As you can imagine everyone in the queue had been watching with increasing amusement and when he finally drove off he was greeted with a round of applause poor bloke. You can't beat a bit of schadenfreude to cheer you up.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

When queuing outside the vaccination centre yesterday someone came out and got in his car that was parked at the end of the cul-de-sac service road in front. The road gets narrower towards the end so he was in the tightest space. He got in his car which was a bit of a knackered old thing, crunched into reverse then reversed out into a cone position on the far side that stuck under his bumper. After a few efforts at getting out of the space he concluded the best bet was to reverse part of the way down the service road to a wider spot and then turn. This took about a 5 point turn (at this point he had at least 1.5 car lengths to play with) with even more crunching of gears. As you can imagine everyone in the queue had been watching with increasing amusement and when he finally drove off he was greeted with a round of applause poor bloke. You can't beat a bit of schadenfreude to cheer you up.

Clearly a side-effect of the vaccine. It had downloaded the Tesla auto-pilot software into his noggin.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Clearly a side-effect of the vaccine. It had downloaded the Tesla auto-pilot software into his noggin.
    There were a few comments along the lines of 'I'm not sure I want the vaccine if that's what it does to you'.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699
    lesfirth said:

Witchcraft or not, it does indeed work. Proved to me by a friend who worked for my local water board. I was amazed.
    Some people are better at it than others and it only works, I’m told with running water not stagnant water
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,765
    Waiting at the lights to cross as a ped and a cyclist waiting in the ASL was a gold medal Paralympian, complete in full GBR kit.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Waiting at the lights to cross as a ped and a cyclist waiting in the ASL was a gold medal Paralympian, complete in full GBR kit.

Can't be true as we all know that all cyclists to throughnred lights at all times.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,622

lesfirth said:

Witchcraft or not, it does indeed work. Proved to me by a friend who worked for my local water board. I was amazed.
    Some people are better at it than others and it only works, I’m told with running water not stagnant water
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/22/water-divining-bunk-popular-myths-science-sally-le-page
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,705
    Clubbie roadies vs non clubbies.

I'm setting off out of town on my graveller to go do the ruff 'n' stuff. Section of busy road has wide peds and bikes paths either side, easy. I'm rolling gently just warming up. Cars on the road to right plus a clubbie go past. Traffic lights ahead stop cars and clubbie. I'm on bike path rolling on through.

Bit further on, roundabout. Cars tailing back. Clubbie passes me overtaking on outside of cars. Cool if that's your thing. On I roll. On the first exit from roundabout there's a peds and bikes lights crossing.

Busy. Push crossing button. Changes quite soon. As I start to cross see clubbie who's done a full 360 plus around the roundabout having to pull up on the red to let me cross.

Pal. Honestly it's easier on the cycleway. Case proven.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,829
    edited April 2021
    This post on FB made me smile and ponder at the same time.
    As the text is so small - Nobody was home so the guy from DHL threw the parcel up and was successful first attempt. Witnessed by neighbour.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,705
    Couple things.

Watching a red kite getting hustled by a crow / corvid type bird and not giving a F. Kite doing the usual slow no effort sail round and round while scanning ground for stuff, crow is doing the 'get off my patch' shouting and faux attack on the kite which is 3 times its size. Carried on for at least 5 minutes until they drifted out of sight.

Wild garlic. First pick and adding oomph to tonight's dish.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,829
    Someone on this site who thinks flagging a post will be taken seriously.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,284
    pblakeney said:

Someone on this site who thinks flagging a post will be taken seriously.

I flagged it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,723
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,618
    Mrs. 666 agreeing with me that we should move house after I've been suggesting it for a while. Possibly not trivial from me in terms of what it will entail in the near future but anyway it probably fits in here now. Will be good to put a bit of green space between us and the borders of the The Big Smoke.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Mrs. 666 agreeing with me that we should move house after I've been suggesting it for a while. Possibly not trivial from me in terms of what it will entail in the near future but anyway it probably fits in here now. Will be good to put a bit of green space between us and the borders of the The Big Smoke.

You mean - you're going to be communting from the 'Burbs?
    You'll have to buy a Trek or a Dogma or they'll look down on you.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,618
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

You mean - you're going to be communting from the 'Burbs?
    You'll have to buy a Trek or a Dogma or they'll look down on you.
    Were going beyond the 'burbs - which is where we are already. Not as far as banjo country though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]