Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699
    While out cycling yesterday battling a strong headwind, just beginning to think why on earth am I doing this
    I saw two ducks (Mallards) playing, having fun in a large puddle right alongside the road, seemingly oblivious to everything else. Made me smile.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Taking delivery of a replacement lever from Condor Cycles wondering why it is so heavy. They used 8 rolls of energy chews as packing. 😃 Beats a pack of Haribos.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Seeing objectors who think they know it all as they "worked in the industry" 40 years ago and who have been a pain for years accepting the opportunity to say their piece at a Planning Inquiry and get absolutely shredded by one of the best barristers in the business.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    edited March 2021
    pblakeney said:

They used 8 rolls of energy chews as packing. 😃 Beats a pack of Haribos.

Never tries 'em me. Tired of the sickly sweet Haribo.
    (Although i'm partial to the Jelly men)

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

New for me too. Just need weather and a lack of travel restrictions first.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Are they bigger than jelly babies?
  • pinno

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

No, 'cos they're afflicted with dwarfism.
    Err, sorry - they're vertically challenged.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

The jelly men come in singular form m, as they can't handle themselves.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Pross said:

Seeing objectors who think they know it all as they "worked in the industry" 40 years ago and who have been a pain for years accepting the opportunity to say their piece at a Planning Inquiry and get absolutely shredded by one of the best barristers in the business.

In relation to what, Pross? I'm curious.
    No shame in getting a kicking from a Barrister, it's their job. Glad I don't have to work with them (doctors are bad enough!)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Sitting down and watching 6 hours of Paris-Roubaix.... ah, sh1t3.
  • Pross
    edited March 2021
    secretsam said:

Pross said:

No shame in getting a kicking from a Barrister, it's their job. Glad I don't have to work with them (doctors are bad enough!)
    Supposed Chartered Engineers claiming that an existing road that gives access to a 40 year old housing development (where they live) is dangerous because it is steeper than modern design standards and therefore no new houses can be accessed from it. Despite there being zero injury collisions on said road in the 30 years that records have been checked for they have been shouting down anyone telling them there is no evidence it is dangerous with the likes of "I was an engineer before you were born" type comments and one turned up and presented his draft coroner's report relating to an imagined fatality of a 'housewife' and her two children resulting from the proposals.

Refused to accept that there being no collisions in 30 years suggested there wasn't an issue and then got turned around in circles until he had to accept that there was no evidence to back his claim. He was slightly less arrogant by the end. Several other residents who took up their right to speak refused to be cross-examined afterwards. They've been thinking they are so clever up until now, faking photos of protected species supposedly found on the site and getting Councillors to reject planning against their own officers recommendations.
  • secretsam
    Oh. You're not bothered either way, tho', are you? :D

• yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Pross said:

secretsam said:

Pross said:

Supposed Chartered Engineers claiming that an existing road that gives access to a 40 year old housing development (where they live) is dangerous because it is steeper than modern design standards and therefore no new houses can be accessed from it. Despite there being zero injury collisions on said road in the 30 years that records have been checked for they have been shouting down anyone telling them there is no evidence it is dangerous with the likes of "I was an engineer before you were born" type comments and one turned up and presented his draft coroner's report relating to an imagined fatality of a 'housewife' and her two children resulting from the proposals.

Refused to accept that there being no collisions in 30 years suggested there wasn't an issue and then got turned around in circles until he had to accept that there was no evidence to back his claim. He was slightly less arrogant by the end. Several other residents who took up their right to speak refused to be cross-examined afterwards. They've been thinking they are so clever up until now, faking photos of protected species supposedly found on the site and getting Councillors to reject planning against their own officers recommendations.
    Sounds like Trump's Lawyers approach:
    'It's a fix!' in Press Conferences ; 'We have no evidence' in actual court
  • Pross
    secretsam said:

I've had to deal with their arrogant comments on this and some other schemes including new schools as they are members of a local 'pressure group' (i.e. we don't want anything built in our leafy part of suburbia, do it where the riff raff live) for four years so it really was a joy.

A member of a similar group in the neighbouring area, a retired very senior Civil Servant, objected to a school expansion. His argument, submitted in writing, was that the need for a school was based on data that included working class areas where there were lots of foreign families who had lots of children and shouldn't form the basis of assessing school needs in his particular patch of Little England (paraphrasing but that was the genuinely the jist of his objection).
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Pross said:

secretsam said:

I've had to deal with their arrogant comments on this and some other schemes including new schools as they are members of a local 'pressure group' (i.e. we don't want anything built in our leafy part of suburbia, do it where the riff raff live) for four years so it really was a joy.

A member of a similar group in the neighbouring area, a retired very senior Civil Servant, objected to a school expansion. His argument, submitted in writing, was that the need for a school was based on data that included working class areas where there were lots of foreign families who had lots of children and shouldn't form the basis of assessing school needs in his particular patch of Little England (paraphrasing but that was the genuinely the jist of his objection).

A friend of mine who was a director of of a PLC house-building company had a long campaign run against a development which was actually going to clean up an old gasworks site. Basically a few locals simply wanted to stop any development at all, and couldn't care less about the pollution that needed to be cleaned up. Anyway, the campaign collapsed when their claims were put under formal scrutiny, rather than a few articles in the local press with photos of sad-looking children.
  • elbowloh
    The only personal experience i had with planning applications are when developers bought the two houses to the left of mine and applied to build a block of flats in the space, along with 3 terraced houses at the end of my garden. Developers for years had been trying to build an additional access road to get to the middle of the block, which was occupied with loads of garages as that area only had one road in and out and attempts to in-fill that area were dismissed on that basis.

The new planned development had a road that went to down to the terraced houses and then just ended at the fence bordering the garages.

It was obvious to everyone involved what the future plan was.

I have to say the councils planning team were sodding incompetent (either that or complicit in helping the developers). In the meetings i attended, they sounded like amateurs who didn't have a clue what they were doing, sounded like they had never visited our road and had barely looked at the plans.

They raised some concerns (certainly not the ones all the residents identified) and got the first planning application stopped. When the revised plan came in, the only objections they raised were new issues (but were things we raised previously), which apparently you can't do at that stage, so the application was approved.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • secretsam
    Pross said:

secretsam said:

On the other hand, I've seen local pressure groups achieve notable success - Thames Water were trying to solve a problem of inadequate sewers in a local area by building what was basically a huge overflow tank on a green in a housing estate.

Fortunately for the residents, the estate was populated by lawyers, engineers and PR people. They joined forces, proposed an alternative scheme and gave Thames Water what can only be described as a kicking. Thames Water were forced to actually fix the sewers properly. Admittedly, this did involve digging up some roads and causing some disruption, but it was the correct solution and addressed the problem, rather than dumping it on someone else's land.

The green area is now a nominated Town Green (Village Green?!?!?! not sure), so it can't be touched.

That's the good sort of local action.

• secretsam
    Here's one: completing my first full week of work since falling ill with you-know-what in mid-December.

• elbowloh
    secretsam said:

Here's one: completing my first full week of work since falling ill with you-know-what in mid-December.

Syphilis?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    Getting interrupted during the Volta Ciclista a Catalunya on Europort (laptop).
    Get back, switch it on to see if catchup is available and it starts from where I left off, a la movie on Netflix. A small thing that cheered me up.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

...the Volta Ciclista a Catalunya on Europort...

That reminds me...

• pblakeney
    A company using "Best Before" as a promotional tool.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno

• pblakeney
    🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    I knew a lad that had to have stitches due to a zipper incident 😳
    Had to take pills that were the opposite of a little blue one. His girlfriend managed to overcome them 😳😳😳
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    On that note I once was witness to a bmx accident where someone had their sack caught in the 360 spin handlebar steerer and it split right open.

Not something I necessarily I wanted to see, not gonna lie.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562

On that note I once was witness to a bmx accident where someone had their sack caught in the 360 spin handlebar steerer and it split right open.

Not something I necessarily I wanted to see, not gonna lie.

Why is this in the "things that cheer you up" thread???
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Clocks going forward - a bit of light in the evenings makes a difference. Evening bike rides and runs will be better now.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Haven't opened it but know exactly what song it will be. Brilliant musical.