Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,758
    Are tattoos mandatory for shopping in Lidl? Just asking like, in case I fancied some palm oil free fake MnMs. I take it they won't be the real slim shady.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,491
    edited August 2020
    orraloon said:

Are tattoos mandatory for shopping in Lidl? Just asking like, in case I fancied some palm oil free fake MnMs. I take it they won't be the real slim shady.

What is this stereotype with Lidl ffs?
    I see Range Rovers and Bee Em's in the car park - even Porsche's :)

When you finally get up here, i'm going to drag your sorry 4rse into Lidl and you can see the benefits you bloody sheep shagger.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,758
    I've seen tattoos on f off Panzerwagon drivers 😊 Just need to know the protocols before venturing... After all, I had my first and quite likely only BnM experience recently.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

I've seen tattoos on f off Panzerwagon drivers 😊

Not the Panzerwagon driver I know - he's a square pants.

You can get fake Tattoos if you want. My girls have sheets and sheets of them.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,801
    pinno said:

You lot spoil all the fun.

At least Skittles are okay to eat still. They are made of rainbows.

I used to eat Peanut M&M's. Then I discovered they contain Palm Oil. Then I discovered Lidl's own chocolate covered peanut fake M&M's which don't contain palm oil and... they taste as good!

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/palm-oil/palm-oil-free-list
    Lidl - that's all well and good for people who own some grey tracksuit bottoms. Can you get some and post them to us?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980
    The shop snobs may be interested to know lidl often buy their fruit and veg from the same farms that Waitrose et al buy their fruit from.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,706
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

I used to eat Peanut M&M's. Then I discovered they contain Palm Oil. Then I discovered Lidl's own chocolate covered peanut fake M&M's which don't contain palm oil and... they taste as good!

Lidl - that's all well and good for people who own some grey tracksuit bottoms. Can you get some and post them to us?
    Aren't you getting Lidl confused with Tesco?

I don't get it either. There's reverse snobbery going on wrt Lidl and Aldi.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Lidl and Aldi have been responsible for driving down prices in UK supermarkets.
    Apart from Waitrose where the customers are dopey enough to pay anything.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,938
    How on earth a major ship can run aground in these days of navigation technology.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,801

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Aren't you getting Lidl confused with Tesco?

I don't get it either. There's reverse snobbery going on wrt Lidl and Aldi.
    Funnily enough Tesco has a really good range of stuff.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney said:

How on earth a major ship can run aground in these days of navigation technology.

4,000 tonnes is not a major ship
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Either way....
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • You asked how a major ship can run aground - it isn’t a major ship so more likely to be inferior in every way to a major ship
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Either way....
    Vodka.
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2020
    How some people consider this to not be a major ship.
    Gross Tonnage: 101932

Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

How some people consider this to not be a major ship.
    Gross Tonnage: 101932

It’s not the sort of thing you see being towed up the motorway behind a 4x4 is it.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    There’s a bit of gross tonnage in the foreground as well
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,738
    pblakeney said:

It's more than 10 years since I went on a cargo ship, but navigation really wasn't that sophisticated. In the channel, another man would be put on deck with binoculars. Several years before that, a ship sunk in the channel and then another one crashed into it days later. Before my cargo ship journey I couldn't understand how that could have happened. Afterwards, I completely understood.

• First.Aspect

pblakeney said:

It's more than 10 years since I went on a cargo ship, but navigation really wasn't that sophisticated. In the channel, another man would be put on deck with binoculars. Several years before that, a ship sunk in the channel and then another one crashed into it days later. Before my cargo ship journey I couldn't understand how that could have happened. Afterwards, I completely understood.

Yes but islands are sort 9f always Inthe same place aren't they?

Got to ask, what caused you to be on a cargo ship? What were you smuggling?
  • TheBigBean

pblakeney said:

Yes, but my ship simply had radar, some satellite thing that told you the location of other ships and a map. The captain set the direction based on the map. It was completely impossible to see small boats in rough weather. Obviously, islands will be on the maps, but it was easy to see how a mistake could happen.

I have also been on a self steering passenger ferry. That was more impressive and navigated around hundreds of islands on waterways automatically.

I fancied the ride. It was more expensive than flying but better for jetlag.
  • First.Aspect

pblakeney said:

Yes, but my ship simply had radar, some satellite thing that told you the location of other ships and a map. The captain set the direction based on the map. It was completely impossible to see small boats in rough weather. Obviously, islands will be on the maps, but it was easy to see how a mistake could happen.

I have also been on a self steering passenger ferry. That was more impressive and navigated around hundreds of islands on waterways automatically.

Who knew you were on board?
  • TheBigBean

pblakeney said:

Everyone on the ship.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Everyone had to take their turn n the barrel
  • First.Aspect

pblakeney said:

Everyone on the ship.
    Almost any other answer would have been more exciting.
  • pinno

Apart from Waitrose where the customers are dopey enough to pay anything.

:)

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

Everyone had to take their turn n the barrel

Proper chortled at that in bed then had to explain to the wife. She didn't find it remotely amusing.
  • TheBigBean

pblakeney said:

Everyone on the ship.
    Almost any other answer would have been more exciting.
    Ok. I'll try harder next time.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_explosion

On a side note, the BP 'Deep Water Horizon' oil rig spill are said to have cost 47 billion pounds in damages (last count). Damn, they should have listened to Kurt Russell!

• First.Aspect
    I'm intrigued.

Self charging hybrids. Basically they use petrol to run an engine to charge a battery.

What is the point?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980
    edited August 2020

I'm intrigued.

Self charging hybrids. Basically they use petrol to run an engine to charge a battery.

What is the point?

Isn’t it about using deceleration to charge the battery, so assuming the energy transfer between the engine and battery is not too inefficient as well as efficient convertion of kinetic energy back into charge in the battery, you’re saving a lot of energy that way?