FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    CnqmkzEWcAARs0h.jpg

CnqnnJhW8Ao54XM.jpg:large
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    And on how many of them was he wearing green?
    By my reckoning 75

I think it is more than that. I think he hasn't worn it on 19 stages (using Wiki on a mobile). No idea about TTTs. Impressively there were only 5 stages between 2012-2014. He's slipped up this year and last!

A nice stat would be to add on the times he wasn't in green but was in yellow or white.
    On Wiki the classification tables show who had it at the end of the day, not who wore it during that day, so you've probably counted five too many (I started by making that mistake)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681
    I see. School boy mistake.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,792
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cancellara genuinely believes that the Tour is visiting Bern with cobblestones at the finish as a tribute to him.

The more I hear the organisers the more I think it is actually a tribute.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,947
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cancellara genuinely believes that the Tour is visiting Bern with cobblestones at the finish as a tribute to him.

Is this not a common 'romantic' feature of the Tour.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

I think it's more likely a tribute to Andy Rihs's big bag of cash.
  • rick_chasey
    It was also billed as such on the highlights on ITV.

(Cancellara tribute that is)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    larkim wrote:
    Doh!! Daft me. There were never 57 in that group sprint though. Was it given at 3km instead?

Haven't watched it more than once but yes I'm surprised there were 57 in there too.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681
    Only 33 on the same time now.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,645
    Doh, cancelled the recording this evening as the wife couldn't change channels and I said it was fine as it's only a rest day!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,947
    Pross wrote:
    Doh, cancelled the recording this evening as the wife couldn't change channels and I said it was fine as it's only a rest day!

I'm sure you'll miss her.
    Nevermind
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    FocusZing wrote:
    CnqmkzEWcAARs0h.jpg

CnqnnJhW8Ao54XM.jpg:large

I can't decide if this is a gift to Specialized's Aero marketing campaign or a curse....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Time to recognise one of the greatest flatland riders ever to sit in a TdF peloton, and the rider with the most days in yellow never to have won the Tour (not that he ever tried to).

Cancellara in the Tour.

2004, Cancellara wins his first ever Tour stage and immediately takes yellow. He beats Armstrong by 2 seconds, who asks 'who the hell is that?'

First week of the 2007 Tour is vintage Cancellara; a feast for the eyes. I was there in London for the prologue, where Cancellara was visibly faster than everyone else, leaving the camera moto for dead and taking yellow, before my favourite ever sprint finish, with Cancellara breaking clear with 600m to go, resplendent in yellow and wins in Compiègne, the town that also hosts the start of Paris Roubaix.

2008, and a missing prologue means Cancellara has no chance for yellow. He is instead part of the Tour winning team with Sastre. He comes close winning the final TT on Stage 20 Cérilly to Saint-Amand-Montrond, but is beaten by a later banned Schumacher.

2009 sees a TT in Monaco to kick the Tour off, and Cancellara doesn't disappoint, again, showing (a returning) Lance how to ride a proper opening TT. It's Cancellara's performance in the TTT on stage 4 however that illustrates just how strong a TTer he was, virtually singlehandedly towing his team to hold onto his Yellow jersey for another 2 days. Oh, and he kept a few people entertained with this.

2010 - again a prologue, again I was there, and after a cobbled monument double, he crushes the opposition again.. Just like in London, he does in in the rainbow bands, but this time he pedals a much high cadence.

2012, another prologue in Liege, like his first ever, and again he crushes it, as per usual, and more days in yellow follow.

And finally, in 2015, Cancellara takes yellow in the cheekiest way, laying the foundation with a decent prologue, but makes up for his fading powers, with a cheeky sprint on stage 2 and the help of some bonus seconds to take yellow again.
  • RichN95.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Great post Rick. That win in Compiègne was unreal.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:

Titter titter.

Doesn't matter how good you were, act like a clown and it's guaranteed hilarity.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    mfin wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Petra Sagan badly needs a haircut

Yes, to make himself fit in by looking as vanilla and dull as possible. Don't be soft, he can look however he likes, he comes across as far more fun loving and daft than most, and that's refreshing.
    I suppose you are right.... after all for all the men who dont wear girlishly long hair definitely look vanilla and dull. Maybe he could complete the effort by wearing a sarong or nice green pastel frock. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • rick_chasey
    Ah come on Rich. Why puncture it?

It's not even the right race. You had your fun with it in April.

Maybe it was because it was my first Tour but I will never forget that London prologue.

I'd arrived at 9:30am to get a good spot in front of Buckingham palace. Cancellara wouldn't come passed till 5:00. I'd endured the blazing sun and subsequent sunburn, as well as an old doddery man explaining that it's pronounced Boonen (as in soon) rather than Boonen (as in a Welsh "oh) as well as 188 other riders before Cancellara came past.

After the wave of cheering had passed there genuinely were gasps in the crowd. "God he was fast". 188 other riders hadn't made the crowd so blasé enough that they couldn't know it was a special ride.

It was quite something.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:

This will never get old. :lol::lol:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Did i see it right that Sagan has now ridden 101 stages and finished in the top 10 in 50 of them, impressive if so.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    After the wave of cheering had passed there genuinely were gasps in the crowd. "God he was fast". 188 other riders hadn't made the crowd so blasé enough that they couldn't know it was a special ride.

It was quite something.

Testify, it was an outstanding ride.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I appreciate enthusiasm about riders, like Rick shows with his post.

I really, really don't like him, though.

7VsrGKrZ_400x400.jpeg

AVq7l8m.jpg
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Candelabra looking very fabulous there.