TdF 2016 Stage 16 *Contains spoilers*

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited July 2016 in Pro race
The longest remaining stage of 209 km before the final rest day tomorrow, and the route takes a turn North-East into Switzerland, home of Fabulous Candelabra:

CARTE.jpg

By sticking mainly to the valleys the stage is lumpy rather than hilly, with only one Cat.4 climb:

PROFIL.png

The last kilometre is flat though the final 5 km are undulating, with a small climb of 600m at 6.5%, which may be enough to eliminate the bigger sprinters:

PROFILKMS.png

Weather is hot, dry and sunny again, with a gentle headwind for much of the day.

Peter Sagan has been climbing and sprinting like a monster so far, so could be a prime pick for today. Tony Gallopin has been relatively quiet but may look to escape on this kind of terrain. Watch out for Steve Cummings, especially if he gets into a break again.
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    This day was made for Spartacus.. let's hope he pulls it off.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    I'm hoping he does as well. Just stuck a fiver on him at 16-1 so fingers crossed. Think he's had his eye on this since route was announced.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    This feels like a stage for serial escape artists like Bak, Voeckler, Van Avramaet (sp) etc.

Sagan to join the fun and hoover up the intermediate points.

Chinny to try and take it all into his hometown.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535
    New strategy from EQS - send Alaphilippe and Martin up the road.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    & they have 1'20" after 40km.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Only just realised this is Alaphillipe's first tour (it's the first tour I've followed closely). He's doing well. He could have done a lot better yesterday, maybe this will be his day.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Long old stage, given they covered almost 50kms in the first hour. France 3 about to go live.

They now have 2'15" and there is a small group in between.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    Last 250m

CnpQppxXEAA-nQe?format=jpg&name=large
  • mrfpb
    Those are tram lines covered up - could have made an interesting finish otherwise. Aren't there some cobbles near the end too?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Proper cow country this.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Proper cow country this.

Damn I'm in meetings.

Have some cheese:

tumblr_m9uqf6F9xZ1qmankdo1_1280.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Leaders have nearly 6 minutes now
  • mrfpb
    The 4 man counter attack are being reeled in by the peleton, but the two man EQS breakaway are getting further away - over 5 mins at the moment.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535
    Impressive stuff by Tony Martin.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Oh, I hope this break sticks :D
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Seriously how well are those tram tracks actually filled in?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069

Good job, too. I had a nasty incident with some tram lines in Leipzig a few years back. Still got some scars. :oops: :cry:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Do all the support cars now have to stop for 20 minutes to get the swiss driving carnet thingy?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • mrfpb
    PROFIL.png

Exactly how steep is that climb before Brot Dessouss (132.5km)?- it looks vertical
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I see that Etixx have started their lead out too early again.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    The last week should hopefully be better. I'm barely above a grade of 2 out of 10 for this Tour as a whole so far. Its been absolutely dreadful.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think perhaps Etixx have collectively been put on 'the naughty step' for not having bagged a stage yet.

If it doesn't work, and plan B (Kittel) fails, I'm guessing that they will all be sent to bed early with no supper.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    mrfpb wrote:
    PROFIL.png

Exactly how steep is that climb before Brot Dessouss (132.5km)?- it looks vertical

Given the farcical scenes so far this tour I wouldn't be surprised to find that the route was plotted on strava and it's a 45% gravel footpath.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    ThomThom wrote:
    The last week should hopefully be better. I'm barely above a grade of 2 out of 10 for this Tour as a whole so far. Its been absolutely dreadful.

Generous! Can i ask what warranted the 2 points? Could it be that they came from 'dullest' team Sky/Froome and 'finished' Cavendish?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    This is what chasing Tony Martin does to a peloton :Dhttps://streamable.com/w18k
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Wish this tour was as exciting as 2012
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mrfpb
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think perhaps Etixx have collectively been put on 'the naughty step' for not having bagged a stage yet.

If it doesn't work, and plan B (Kittel) fails, I'm guessing that they will all be sent to bed early with no supper.

Or cleaning the bus on their rest day.

BMC lost their lead in the team comp yesterday, and their owner is from Berne, so they are hoping to make an impact at the finish.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Wish this tour was as exciting as 2012

Thing was in 2012 no-one knew whether Wiggo and Sky actually had the endurance, and whether Fenton would come to heel. There was the real prospect that it might all fall to pieces. Fast forward to 2016 and Sky have perfected crushing all opposition and Froome is unbeatable even without a bike.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Looks like an old inner tube held down with some packing tape, be reet so long as it stays dry.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    This is what chasing Tony Martin does to a peloton :Dhttps://streamable.com/w18k

tremendous ! :D