[POLL] Chain Lube! What's Your Go-To?

124»

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    then I repeat I cant have more fun on a bike than I do currently.

What a silly statement.

My internal fun meter is on max, its bordering on elation, so much fun am I experiencing, It seems clear you dont get as much out of MTBing as I do or you wouldnt query my statement

Fun cannot be measured as everyone's experience of joy is subjective and personal. The way in which endorphins and adrenaline react with the body and are produced mean that no two people get the same degree of enjoyment out of the same ride. Indeed even the concept of joy is inherently subjective - a film or joke one person finds laugh out loud, milk out the nose funny might only raise a smile in another person.

I love riding my bike but I also enjoy the challenges riding presents and pushing my fitness and ability. So if I ride 50k on flatter less technical terrain I probably have less fun than on a 10k ride up and down a mountain. But I have fun on both rides.

The above is just repeating something I wrote on Page 3 to the exact same horse sh*t from Brian.

As for quantifiable engineering benefits - do you believe that a DH bike with 200mm travel front and back, wider rims, beefier design and 4 pot discs offers no quantifiable engineering benefits on a given trail - we'll say the Pleney DH course in Morzine - vs a 150mm enduro style full suspension bike vs a 100mm steel hardtail with small xc oriented disc brakes?

As I chose the trail above I can tell you that my speed of travel on that track with each of those style bikes increases with the amount of travel. I have ridden the course on my Cove Handjob from 2003 with Marz Bombers and Magura Julies but had to pick my way down and generally take a more careful line. My old Orange Patriot - not quite a modern enduro bike, but 150mm travel and built for a bit of abuse, was faster, the line choice could be more relaxed and the speed increased as I could deal with the terrain better. A proper DH bike added more speed and more ability to select the riskier lines and take the drops with speed.

So speed would be a quantifiable gain as a result of engineering which also increases the cost of the bike, yes?

As for fun - my personal preference would be for the enduro bike - I like having some restrictions to my ride but not so much that I have to end up picking my way down the trail. I would therefore, in an entirely unquantifiable way, say that I have the MOST fun on an enduro style bike. I do however have a ton of fun on all of the bikes. The fun comes from a mix of things, being in mountains, riding fast, challenges of the trail, adrenaline rush, maybe being with my friends (if its not a solo ride), riding up a hill and the challenges that brings. The ratios of those elements change with each ride along with my mental state. Sometimes a ride is simply a means to break my chain of thought that becomes enjoyable as I go.

I used to live in Reading and ride in the Chilterns, I now live and ride in Whistler, BC. I can honestly say the fun levels of riding here are unchartable compared to a typical ride in the UK. So does that mean I win the most fun ride contest?

Oh and an 8oz bottle of 3 in 1 costs $2 less than an 8oz bottle of Finish Line wet lube. I currently have a 2oz bottle of Finish Line which is about 3 years old so that $2 saving, spread over four or five years vs the cost of my bike means that the perceived benefits I get from Finish Line are worth it to me. If those $2 ever make the difference between me living and dying my life will have taken a very sad turn indeed.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    this topic seems to have gone off track, so its not decided what the best chain oil is then?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    this topic seems to have gone off track, so its not decided what the best chain oil is then?

Yes: Squirt.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The tears of baby virgin angels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    +1 squirt, stuff of greatness, it is
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Thinking about the fun I have from riding a mountain bike, factors relating to the bike come fourth or fifth on the list after company, views, terrain, cake stop etc.

So factors relating to the chain lube on said bike are gonna be smaller still.

If you chaps want to have a whip-round for funding, I'm prepared to ride in a series of experiments over the same course with different lubes while monitoring endorphin levels...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • swod1
    On the MTB squirt, on the commuter I use Finnish line ceramic wet lube.

The commuter sees frequent very wet riding where the front wheel is jetwashing the chain, as its the UK there is also a lot of salt on the road in winter to melt ice, so that water is salty, in that circumstance squirt doesn't cut it, I doubt that will be an issue in Orlando though!

How does the ceramic wet lube compare to other wet chain lubes do you still get the build up of black stuff around the chain rings?

That's why I stopped using it as it just became a grinding paste most of the time.

Still been using squirt through this winter, I got home last night and my chain was dry and rusty so I'm going to go back to wet chain lube and this ceramic stuff says its less likely to attract dirt to it etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gunge build up, yes. Preferable to an orange chain of shame on my commuter though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    Gunge build up, yes. Preferable to an orange chain of shame on my commuter though!

Ah still the same then as the finish line wet stuff green bottle was bad for build up even though I regularly maintain my bike.

Moving over to single front chain ring so should be easier cleaning and less chain wear.
  • This thread is a great read, at least for the part that has nothing to do with the OPs original query. Pity it ends at page 6!

Brian, come back, all is forgiven. Your logic and comment are terrific entertainment.