[POLL] Chain Lube! What's Your Go-To?

Kiiwiiz
Kiiwiiz Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
url=https://www.wedgies.com/question/56412f5c7032d62f00000494]POLL[/url

I'm from Orlando, living in Gainesville and I just bought my first real bike for commuting. Getting started with all of this can be overwhelming but I'm having a lot of fun with it and I'm excited!

I'm in the market for some chain lube. Before I make any purchase I wanted to get an idea of what people are using in different climates and see what is overall most popular. So I setup a poll with a pretty extensive list of chain lubricants in an attempt to account for the broad spectrum of different products out there. I live on Central Florida so I need something pretty versatile. Ease of cleaning and application frequency are my two biggest concerns. Cleaning and lubing to me isn't a big chore so I don't mind more frequent application, but I don't want to be wiping down a black chain all the time either.

I think I'm leaning toward the wax and polymer based lubes, RnR Gold, Dumonde and Boeshield are the most appealing to me at this point.

What type of lubricant do you find works best for your climate? Where are you located? How many miles before reapplication in muddy/wet or dusty/dry conditions? What do you use remove your lube for deep cleaning?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Please feel free to share this poll with your friends/community, the more data we have the better!

Comments

• brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    url=https://www.wedgies.com/question/56412f5c7032d62f00000494]POLL[/url

I'm from Orlando, living in Gainesville and I just bought my first real bike for commuting. Getting started with all of this can be overwhelming but I'm having a lot of fun with it and I'm excited!

I'm in the market for some chain lube. Before I make any purchase I wanted to get an idea of what people are using in different climates and see what is overall most popular. So I setup a poll with a pretty extensive list of chain lubricants in an attempt to account for the broad spectrum of different products out there. I live on Central Florida so I need something pretty versatile. Ease of cleaning and application frequency are my two biggest concerns. Cleaning and lubing to me isn't a big chore so I don't mind more frequent application, but I don't want to be wiping down a black chain all the time either.

I think I'm leaning toward the wax and polymer based lubes, RnR Gold, Dumonde and Boeshield are the most appealing to me at this point.

What type of lubricant do you find works best for your climate? Where are you located? How many miles before reapplication in muddy/wet or dusty/dry conditions? What do you use remove your lube for deep cleaning?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Please feel free to share this poll with your friends/community, the more data we have the better!

If you are not a ''business'' doing market research, I suspect you are overthinking a every simple issue.

I lube my chain when it occurs to me it needs lubing,(rust spots are a good indication I have left it far to long)
    Commonly every few rides with whatever comes to hand. With 3.1 oil being the preferred option if I can find it, Wd 40 if am in a desperate hurry and cant find anything else. So far my chain has done 3,000 miles so it seems to be working OK
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    "...the more data we have?..."

Just a hint of something more than one OCD person doing an international poll before buying some lube.

But anyway - Squirt.

</eot>
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I lube my chain when it occurs to me it needs lubing,(rust spots are a good indication I have left it far to long)
    Commonly every few rides with whatever comes to hand. With 3.1 oil being the preferred option if I can find it, Wd 40 if am in a desperate hurry and cant find anything else. So far my chain has done 3,000 miles so it seems to be working OK

For someone who seems to get rather technical about grease etc, I would have thought you would know that WD40 is not a lubricant by any stretch of the imagination and is probably the worst thing to use on your chain.

It will also helpfully remove any useful lube already in the rollers.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I realize it's overkill, I am definitely obsessive compulsive, but it's not disorderly (yet)! This is mostly for fun and for discussion. Thanks for the input!
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Another vote for Squirt

Never, ever use WD40 on a chain
  • Another vote for Squirt

actually really handy after a sopping wet ride and your struggling to dry it all out, that or gt85 or the muc off equivalent good for driving the water out the chain so it doesn't rust! but not as a lube of course as a water displacer.

• Never, ever use WD40 on a chain

As a rule for stupid people, yes. But for people who know what they are doing it has its place.
  • brianbee

For someone who seems to get rather technical about grease etc, I would have thought you would know that WD40 is not a lubricant by any stretch of the imagination and is probably the worst thing to use on your chain.

It will also helpfully remove any useful lube already in the rollers.

Its is a lubricant it says so on the tin, I have just gone and got the tin to check. Anything that lowers the friction between two surfaces is a lubricant. It may not be a very good lubricant, it may not lubricated for very long, but a lubricant it is ?

I keep some in the car, for sticky locks ETAL, if I get as far as the car park and then decided to lube my chain. Its all that is available and is better than no lub at all
  • cooldad
    Good luck with that.

It is not, and was never intended as a lubricant, whatever bollocks it says on the tin.

McDonalds claims to be a restaurant.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use KY or Lard. Whichever is more convenient.
  • brianbee
    Good luck with that.

It is not, and was never intended as a lubricant, whatever **** it says on the tin.

McDonalds claims to be a restaurant.

But it is a lubricant as it lubricates. As is margarine for that matter, You can argue about its effectiveness as a lubricant, but not that it falls into that classification

Definition of restaurant in English:
    noun
    A place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises.
  • Another Squirt user here, only when i really need it and I can give it up at anytime!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Squirt. cooldad speaks the truth.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    It's a lot better than margarine that's for sure.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122

As a rule for stupid people, yes. But for people who know what they are doing it has its place.

There was enough evidence in the post to warrant a rule for stupid people. But yes, I meant never use WD40 as a lube - cos it ain't
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On the MTB squirt, on the commuter I use Finnish line ceramic wet lube.

The commuter sees frequent very wet riding where the front wheel is jetwashing the chain, as its the UK there is also a lot of salt on the road in winter to melt ice, so that water is salty, in that circumstance squirt doesn't cut it, I doubt that will be an issue in Orlando though!

WD40 is a lubricant but the film strength is woefully inedquate for use on a cycle chain so it has no effective lubrication properties for that use, so both arguments are correct I guess.

I too use WD40 or GT85 to disperse water (on my commuter) after a wet ride., just a tiny mist is all that is needed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    But Brian's chain has done 3000 miles, so WD40 and 3-in-1 must be the bestest. It's shagged, but it's done 3000 miles!
  • brianbee
    But Brian's chain has done 3000 miles, so WD40 and 3-in-1 must be the bestest. It's shagged, but it's done 3000 miles!

I'm quite prepared to accept WD isnt the best lubricant, but stand by the statement that is is a lubricant and is therefore better than no lubricant

3 in 1 on the other hand is excellent for bike chains and was the staple lubricant for this purpose for decades before they caught on to the fact that people are silly enough to pay a considerable amount of money for fancy lubricants that work out more expensive than buying new chains every so often, even if any of the claimed benefits are true

I suppose you can re make your performance drag claim from the bearing thread as justification for using something with Teflon or some other additive ? and if I was considering doing the Tour of France, I might actual care about loosing a 10th of 1% efficiency. But cycling up hill against a head wind in a big baggy coat and floppy over trousers I don't really think it would make much difference to me ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The problem with WD40 is that it is also a solvent, so will remove any of the better lubricant that may be present, on that basis I would say that its' not better than no lubricant, the key area to lube is the bit you can't see, between the pin and roller, that may well be satisfactorily lubricated until the WD40 washes it out!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    On the MTB squirt, on the commuter I use Finnish line ceramic wet lube.

The commuter sees frequent very wet riding where the front wheel is jetwashing the chain, as its the UK there is also a lot of salt on the road in winter to melt ice, so that water is salty, in that circumstance squirt doesn't cut it, I doubt that will be an issue in Orlando though!

Good job you mentioned this stuff as I was going to ask if its any good as a chain oil, squirt on my hardtail that gets used for traveling in to work and off road rides doesn't cope well in very wet weather.

I hope its not like other wet lubes where you if don't keep on top of it end up with a black mess all over the everything.
  • Brianbee is right, Water Displacement 40th Forumla is a lubricant as it contains oil as well has hydrocarbons, and other stuff etc. and is better than nothing.

Brian - don't using WD40 on your chain, it is a crap chain lubricating choice. A chain would have to be pretty neglected not to have any oil it in at all, and that is the only thing WD40 is better than.
  • njee20
    And the trouble with 3:1 is that it attracts all sorts of shit and turns everything black and into a lovely grinding paste. Not specific to 3:1, Finish Line XC and Pedro's Syn Lube are just as bad!

Squirt or White Lightning Epic for me.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    WD40 is a lubricant, it's not a good one for bicycle chains but in the right application it is a lubricant (water can be as well).
    The problem with using it on bicycle chains is it's too thin for wet, muddy conditions and it attracts dirt too well for dry conditions because it doesn't dry like a teflon lubricant. It might be ok on a commuter bike in dry conditions though.
  • Rock n Roll lube extreme.
  • On the MTB squirt, on the commuter I use Finnish line ceramic wet lube.

WD40 is a lubricant but the film strength is woefully inedquate for use on a cycle chain so it has no effective lubrication properties for that use, so both arguments are correct I guess.

I too use WD40 or GT85 to disperse water (on my commuter) after a wet ride., just a tiny mist is all that is needed.

Fair point, I also use wet lube on my commuter for the above reason's..
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Shimano PTFE dry an Finish line wet lube. Recently lost my bottle of dry no idea where it went but tempted to try Squirt non gunky chain sounds tempting
  • brianbee
    And the trouble with 3:1 is that it attracts all sorts of shoot and turns everything black and into a lovely grinding paste. Not specific to 3:1, Finish Line XC and Pedro's Syn Lube are just as bad!

Some of you are a bit obsessive to be honest, getting partisan on the somewhat mundane issue of chain lube.

life is full of inportant decisions to be made, and which lubricant to spray on your chain isnt one of them ?

my logic such as I have even considered the issue, 3.1 oil cheap, chains cheap, chain wears out every year or so, buy new chain. I cant really work up a lot more interest than that over saving myself a tenner for chain
  • You're not a real biker Brian.
  • njee20
    I wear chains out roughly every 4 months on the MTB. That is accelerated with a sticky lube. Chains are £30. Cassettes are £200. Pays to preserve them a bit. YMMV.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    And the trouble with 3:1 is that it attracts all sorts of shoot and turns everything black and into a lovely grinding paste. Not specific to 3:1, Finish Line XC and Pedro's Syn Lube are just as bad!

Some of you are a bit obsessive to be honest, getting partisan on the somewhat mundane issue of chain lube.

life is full of inportant decisions to be made, and which lubricant to spray on your chain isnt one of them ?

my logic such as I have even considered the issue, 3.1 oil cheap, chains cheap, chain wears out every year or so, buy new chain. I cant really work up a lot more interest than that over saving myself a tenner for chain

A well lubed chain is simply nicer to pedal. Nothing obsessive about it. It just makes for a better ride.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607